Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    ofcork wrote: »
    From what I saw the guards were supporting the protest.

There was actually a large Garda presence on Patrick Street today to ensure cars were able to drive through Patrick Street without impediment.
    Several videos on Twitter showing this.
    Protesters were warned last weekend that any further attempt to stop cars using Patrick Street during the ban would result in arrests.

For anyone reading the above, this is complete BS - I was at the protest and Gardai for the most part were supportive.
    Not once was there any threat of arrest.

If no one is bothering to enforce it, sometimes it takes regular folk to at least try.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

For anyone reading the above, this is complete BS - I was at the protest and Gardai for the most part were supportive.

If no one is bothering to enforce it, sometimes it takes regular folk to at least try.

Really. For the most part. And yet exactly one week after the Gardai are out in force to ensure non enforcement. Means the protest was ineffective and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Couldn't agree more. I actually witnessed the guards talking to the protesters by Daunt square around 5pm last Sunday. The guards then went on to help the protestors direct traffic down Cornmarket st.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I actually witnessed the guards talking to the protesters by Daunt square around 5pm last Sunday. The guards then went on to help the protestors direct traffic down Cornmarket st.

And yet guards were at the exact same spot yesterday ensuring that cars were allowed to drive down Patrick Street which was jammed full with cars.
    Bear in mind as well that even last Sunday nearly all the cars that were directed through the pedestrian priority zone of Daunt square by the protesters had to first illegally use the Washington Street bus lane.

And yet guards were at the exact same spot yesterday ensuring that cars were allowed to drive down Patrick Street which was jammed full with cars.
    Bear in mind as well that even last Sunday nearly all the cars that were directed through the pedestrian priority zone of Daunt square by the protesters had to first illegally use the Washington Street bus lane.

You're earlier statement about last week is BS do. The guards warned them not to direct traffic yet they were helping them direct traffic :confused:

There's an arrow at the end of the car lane on Washington st indicating to go left. Nothing illegal about it if you stay in the middle lane and then indicate left over at about the last 10 metres. Also, it's pedestrian priority, not zero cars on Daunt square.

• Advertisement

You're earlier statement about last week is BS do. The guards warned them not to direct traffic yet they were helping them direct traffic :confused:

There's an arrow at the end of the car lane on Washington st indicating to go left. Nothing illegal about it if you stay in the middle lane and then indicate left over at about the last 10 metres. Also, it's pedestrian priority, not zero cars on Daunt square.
    Let's try sticking to facts here. The claim that the guards were "helping" the protesters on Sunday 22nd was made by others. I don't think that was the case at all. They didn't intervene to stop them as they were unsure how to react.

In relation to Washington Street you are totally factually incorrect. This is a bus priority lane from 3:00pm -6:30pm every day. All of the cars using it to turn left onto Patrick Street or to drive through the pedestrian priority zone are doing so illegally.

Once again what I witnessed yesterday was An Garda Siochana supporting and protecting motorists in breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Lads, isn't this the poster who was claiming a while back that the Gardai were taking orders from the Cork Business Association not to enforce the ban? I think it's safe to ignore them......

Let's try sticking to facts here. The claim that the guards were "helping" the protesters on Sunday 22nd was made by others. I don't think that was the case at all. They didn't intervene to stop them as they were unsure how to react.

In relation to Washington Street you are totally factually incorrect. This is a bus priority lane from 3:00pm -6:30pm every day. All of the cars using it to turn left onto Patrick Street or to drive through the pedestrian priority zone are doing so illegally.

Once again what I witnessed yesterday was An Garda Siochana supporting and protecting motorists in breaking the law.

I saw them helping the protestors, many others did too. One guy even recorded the guards helping, i'm sure it can be dug out somewhere. So yes, it's fact.

Also, there is an arrow at the end of the middle lane indicating to go left, there is no time clause on it. So yes, you can turn legally left at the end of Washington st during Patrick st. ban. As said, it's pedestrian priority, not zero cars. There's nothing illegal about driving through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I saw them helping the protestors, many others did too. One guy even recorded the guards helping, i'm sure it can be dug out somewhere. So yes, it's fact.

Also, there is an arrow at the end of the middle lane indicating to go left, there is no time clause on it. So yes, you can turn legally left at the end of Washington st during Patrick st. ban. As said, it's pedestrian priority, not zero cars. There's nothing illegal about driving through it.

You can't, as there will be no left green traffic light. During ban hours only green bus light is operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

That arrow is there because the inside lane on Washington Street is a 24hr bus lane so outside of ban hours you stay in middle lane and pull into inside lane near the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Lads, isn't this the poster who was claiming a while back that the Gardai were taking orders from the Cork Business Association not to enforce the ban? I think it's safe to ignore them......

Exactly. I love the phrase "Let's talk Facts" from this particular individual.
    grogi wrote: »
    You cant, as there will be no left green traffic light. During ban hours only green bus light is operational.

Exactly. It's a bus Greenlight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cars were driving freely down pana sat and sun during the ban without a guard in sight

Yeah saw cars in that bus lane on Washington Street blowing at the first car as only the green bus light came on.

mean gene wrote: »
    Cars were driving freely down pana sat and sun during the ban without a guard in sight

Hopefully the guards were doing some actual police work not acting as glorified traffic wardens on a stupid and inconvenient car ban unwanted by 99% of people proven by the fact loads are ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Hopefully the guards were doing some actual police work not acting as glorified traffic wardens on a stupid and inconvenient car ban unwanted by 99% of people proven by the fact loads are ignoring it.

You truly are either a very poor WUM or an incredible idiot!

The car ban is supported by the vast majority. Lots of people would not have cars inside the city centre full stop.

But there will always be an unwashed percentage who park in disabled bays, up on footpaths, etc. Probably the same type of people who refuse to contribute to estate maintenance and the likes. They offer nothing to the community essentially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Where did you get that 99% figure from? Out of thin air I would think. Nonsensical post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

unwanted by 99% of people proven by the fact loads are ignoring it.

HAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

mean gene wrote: »

Ah its yourself again.

Please link to figures showing 99% disagree with the ban. Thanks!

Mardyke wrote: »
    You truly are either a very poor WUM or an incredible idiot!

The car ban is supported by the vast majority. Lots of people would not have cars inside the city centre full stop.

But there will always be an unwashed percentage who park in disabled bays, up on footpaths, etc. Probably the same type of people who refuse to contribute to estate maintenance and the likes. They offer nothing to the community essentially.

I’ve yet to meet anyone in person who isn’t strongly against the ban, the only place I’ve seen support for it is in this forum and the small number of associated social media link provided here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I’ve yet to meet anyone in person who isn’t strongly against the ban, the only place I’ve seen support for it is in this forum and the small number of associated social media link provided here.

My experience completely contradicts yours.
    I don't know of anyone in my wider circle who doesn't think that it's a very small step in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

That's probably because you live in Galway, and are very rarely in Cork. The reality is that most Cork people support this initiative except for a handful of traders, one or two cranks, and some people who work for radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Wouldn't say 99% are against it but I wouldn't say it has overwhelming support either (and I do support it although I think the implementation first time round was dreadfully timed and executed).

I work in the English market and when it was first brought in I was listening to people giving out about it for weeks, still hear it, unsolicited, reasonably frequently.

It's a debate just full of ideologues, neither side will accept any read on it that's not "99% of people feel the same way I do" and get ridiculously snippy and snide fighting that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I would be for a full ban in the Pana, with permanent permits for residents and deliveries. Temporary permits should be available for tradesmen.

Cork City Center on a Sunday. Clogged with cars.
    Patrick Street full of cars as Panaban has now effectively been abandoned.
    Streets that should have been pedestrianised years ago like Paul Street and Academy Street used as thoroughfares.
    No parking enforcement so cars parking indiscriminately on pedestrian plazas on Grand Parade and Cornmarket Street.
    Use of pedestrian plazas as parking lots means expensive paving laid a few years ago is beginning to crack.
    Washington Street cycle lane full of taxis.
    This doesn't happen by accident.
    It is deliberate and planned.
    While other cities increasingly pedestrian city centers ours has been abandoned to taxis and cars.
    Oh. And a free city center parking promotion just announced. You only have to drive through the pedestrian priority zone to avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Still waiting on that evidence. In the meantime I'm going to go with laziness and incompetence rather than any conscious malice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Absolutely

Absolutely not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's just laziness, incompetence and the overwhelming belief that the car is the most important part of the urban environment. It's rampant at all levels of government, local and national. Roads and cars are king.

Cars were driving on Oliver plunkett at too at 4 barriers must have been down also the cycle lane on mulgrave road always has cars parked in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ofcork wrote: »
    Cars were driving on Oliver plunkett at too at 4 barriers must have been down also the cycle lane on mulgrave road always has cars parked in it.

Quite common to see people driving their cars illegally the wrong way down the one way streets to access OP Street and avoiding the barriers. In other cities in Europe, cars forcing their way into pedestrian areas would raise serious alarm bells, not here though - tis grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

Unfortunately all you have to do is look at the Dunkettle enabling works to see where cars lie on the priority scale and where bikes lie. Absolutely no fore site into cycle acmes to Little island or to the city, what cyclist in their right mind would use the system at silver springs hotel and there is no system whatsoever at little island off the Glounthaune to Glanmire road at the Little Island turn. In fact they narrowed it during these works.

The same lack of knowledge and road planning occurs where the bus lane along Patricks Quay is square when it comes out of the train station and not skewed to mea it can merge easier and at the lights is in the right lane rather than the middle lane as they want to always go left across Brian Boru bridge and the current scenarios they have to force their way through traffic.

The whole problem is the lack of public transport and infrastructure in the area meaning people are dependant on cars, remove the dependancy and you will remove the need for cars.

Advertisement