Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

CharlieR wrote: »
    The whole problem is the lack of public transport and infrastructure in the area meaning people are dependant on cars, remove the dependancy and you will remove the need for cars.

I think it's more than lack a of public transport.

Who would want to reduce the footpaths to increase the number of road lanes, like they did in Little Island?
    Sweep the cyclists off the road to a dead-end stop like they do at Silversprings westbound.
    Expect cyclists to ramp over a traffic island and merge into a merging lane like they do at Silversprings eastbound.
    Expect pedestrians to dash across five lanes of the roundabout like they're expected to do at Shannonpark roundabout.

The source of these issues wasn't a lack of public infrastructure, it's the car-first and car-only mindset in council roads department.

They'll gladly take the funding for sustainable transport and blow it on resurfacing gigs though, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    the cycle lane on mulgrave road always has cars parked in it.

This is an interesting case. There are double yellow lines along both sides here so, obviously, there should be no parking. The cycle lane is odd, though. It seems deliberately ambiguous and noncommittal. There's no red surface and no bicycle lane markings, just a white line marking the edge of this ambiguous "lane". I've always wondered what the idea behind this halfarsed bicycle lane is. I suspect it may have something to do with mass parking from St Mary's church - there seems to be an extreme reluctance to enforce any parking laws if people are at mass, for some reason. But the double yellow lines make it obvious illegal parking, anyway.

I saw a pedestrian knocked down there not so long ago. While the primary cause of this accident was the victim not looking where she was going, there is no doubt in my mind that if there hadn't been a row of illegally parked cars there, the accident wouldn't have happened.

The constant illegally parked cars also make the junction at Dominick Street very dangerous, too, making it very difficult to see traffic coming up the hill.

There is very little enforcement here, although I did see a few cars with tickets last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Saw the Parking Warden out ticketing the few cars parked on the street during the ban. Saw a young person who'd parked right by Opera Lane in the loading bay jog to their car and plead with the ticket writing warden. This was at about 4pm. Imagine being that entitled.

You can park within 5 minutes walk of Patrick St. for 2 hours for €2 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

User142 wrote: »

You can park within 5 minutes walk of Patrick St. for 2 hours for €2 ffs.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Where?

If youre lucky on Sullivans Quay. If you don't mind a walk a minute or two longer than 5 then I've never failed to find a spot along the road Pres is on the times I go in at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

A charming driver (driving up Pana at 3.45pm today) gave me the finger today as I reminded him of the time!

Some people shouldn't be let out in public, never mind drive a vehicle....

There is complete disregard for this ban and traffic rules/laws in general in Cork at the moment. A major change of approach is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mardyke wrote: »
    A charming driver (driving up Pana at 3.45pm today) gave me the finger today as I reminded him of the time!

Some people shouldn't be let out in public, never mind drive a vehicle....

There is complete disregard for this ban and traffic rules/laws in general in Cork at the moment. A major change of approach is required.
    You see on the Garda Twitter page all the time - people driving 180kmph on 100/120 kmph zones. There are people who will flaunt driving laws until they are caught and then, they'll likely revert to type. It's ignorance and unless there's ads put on in the cinema by the Cork City council like the old one's reminding people to pick up their dog shít then I don't see a way of mass educating people....and even that doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Red light breaking is atrocious as well, I've seen 3 cars fly past a light after it's gone red.

That junction by Anglesea St Garda station is an absolute joke. There's two solid 45 minute periods every week day where there are people constantly in the yellow box, blocking the pedestrian crossing, breaking lights, pulling up right beside someone in their lane to get out of the yellow box because some other fcuker is trying to get in it before the light goes TOO red...

Now I'd imagine the fact that a lot of the offenders are probably themselves gards, or city hall employees has nothing to do with the lack of enforcement, it's just hard to gather the resources to target people whose law-breaking you could set your watch by and who do it right outside a garda station.

Fair play to him!!

A charming driver (driving up Pana at 3.45pm today) gave me the finger today as I reminded him of the time!........

Probably a muck savage........ up for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Red light breaking is atrocious as well, I've seen 3 cars fly past a light after it's gone red.

That junction by Anglesea St Garda station is an absolute joke. There's two solid 45 minute periods every week day where there are people constantly in the yellow box, blocking the pedestrian crossing, breaking lights, pulling up right beside someone in their lane to get out of the yellow box because some other fcuker is trying to get in it before the light goes TOO red...

Now I'd imagine the fact that a lot of the offenders are probably themselves gards, or city hall employees has nothing to do with the lack of enforcement, it's just hard to gather the resources to target people whose law-breaking you could set your watch by and who do it right outside a garda station.
    The crossing from the bridge over to the block where One Albert Quay is near lethal. I cross it every morning. I watch the lights on the other side and see them go Amber then Red, and I see cars speeding up to make the light and breaking the Red. It's so lethal with some of them taking the inside lane and cutting in tight, right where one would begin to cross. I'm really surprised more people aren't hurt there!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Drivers of electric cars to be allowed during Panaban

Drivers of electric cars in Cork may soon be using special green badges under new plans.

The aim is to make it possible for local authorities to allow zero-emission vehicles to benefit from incentives
    The Green Party hopes it will boost electric car sales, helping it achieve its 2050 target of net zero emissions.

The council is asking industry and the public for their views on how to implement the scheme.
    Through the introduction of green badges local authorities would have a useful visual identifier should they wish to introduce incentives to promote the use of zero-emission vehicles, such as allowing these drivers to use bus lanes and park in cycle lanes"

However there has been some criticism of the plans.

"If local authorities allow some cars to use bus infrastructure, which is already severely strained and in need of significant investment, we will simply increase congestion for bus passengers and drive people off the bus and back into cars ,
    "While the sentiment seems right, there are question marks as to whether drivers would see this as a badge of honour or alternatively it could foster resentment among bus users and pedestrians.

'A real incentive'
    Mike McGrath regularly drives his electric car through the city center. He says, incentives such as being allowed to ignore the Panaban and use bus lanes would make his journey "faster and easier" and be "a huge plus".

"That would probably be a real incentive for me for driving a car like this more through pedestrian priority streets and Patrick Street he says.

CITY Council’s inability to allow blue badge holding drivers to ignore the Panabanhas been labelled an “absurdity”.

Green Party councillor Lorna Bouge has gained the support of councillors to write to Transport Minister Shane Ross to ask him to conduct a review of legislation governing access to disabled parking spots via designated bus lanes as soon as possible.

Ms Bogue said an example of the issues with current legislation relates to restrictions disabled parking spots on Patrick Street and she expressed her frustration that the council has no power to change this because bus lanes are governed by national legislation.

Ms Bogue’s colleague Oliver Moran described the situation as “absurd”.

“This council cannot stop people driving illegally in a bus lane and we have to write to the Minister to allow disabled people to park in the designated spots next to that bus lane. This is a simple transport matter and we have to write to national Government to allow disabled people in the bays that we have designated for them. That’s an absurdity," Mr Moran added.

City councillor Tim Brosnan (FF) said the scheme would be bad for the city as a whole. He said that the plan would hurt small businesses in the city and was “hammering the character of the city”.

“It’s absolute madness. It would be as easy for the buses to go around St Patrick’s Street – it’s just as easy to walk to the South Mall or the quays.

“Bus Éireann is the one thing that’s not changing. It will affect people coming in and out of town. Taking cars out won’t help the city or the buses – there’ll be traffic jams in the suburbs and other knock-on effects.

“They’re engineering things to a standstill.”

_
    +++--++++++-++++++++-++

“Councillor Tim Brosnan has asked the local authority to consider allowing disabled drivers an allowance to drive onto the city’s main thoroughfare between 3pm and 6.30pm each day.

“I believe disabled people have a constitutional right to access the street and should not be forbidden by law.

“There is a problem with the national legislation on bus corridors which is discriminating against disabled people who want to shop or be dropped off at Patrick Street.”

_+++++++

The idea to use blue badge cars as a Trojan horse to undermine the
    Panaban is not even original. The Greens copied it from Tim Brosnan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Safe to say Tim Brosnan hasn't a notion what he's on about.

Shame to see that the cretin minority have won out here, meaning the rest of us have to put up with filthy Pajeros driving down the busiest street in Cork city over Christmas.

Make sure to remember the likes of John Graces, Pinocchio Toy Shop, Tung Sing and Dukes Coffee Shop were the ones against this car ban. Best not to buy in their places over Xmas.

Shame to see that the cretin minority have won out here, meaning the rest of us have to put up with filthy Pajeros driving down the busiest street in Cork city over Christmas.

Make sure to remember the likes of John Graces, Pinocchio Toy Shop, Tung Sing and Dukes Coffee Shop were the ones against this car ban. Best not to buy in their places over Xmas.

Well perhaps console yourself that they'll likely go out of business anyway by directly supporting the "car first" ideology.

Because they're literally appealing for preferential treatment for people to use cars, and this naturally suits the out-of-town purpose-built-for-cars malls.

So yeah, they're actually directly hitting their own businesses.

City Centre was a mess last weekend. Cars finding their way onto Oliver Plunkett Street. Illegal parking on pedestrian plazas. Patrick Street jammed with cars during Panaban. Cars driving through pedestrians on Paul Street and Parnell Place.
    When you see the potential that a car free city center would have makes me annoyed.

The number of cars driving wrong way down the one-way side streets to get onto Oliver Plunkett Street is epidemic at this stage. I suppose with the very light touch enforcement regime and examples like the Lord Mayor who sees it fit to have his car parked on pedestrian plazas, the average motorist will feel emboldened and entitled to do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    City councillor Tim Brosnan (FF) said disabled people have a constitutional right to access the street and should not be forbidden by law.

So Tim thinks car access to Patrick's St for the disabled should not be forbidden by law as it is embodied in law. Am I the only one confused?

Although I haven't read Bunreacht na h'Eireann for quite some time, I'm still pretty confident that there is no mention of the Pana ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Have I missed something? Is the ban gone?

All I'm seeing is this which seems good, posted on the 9th

D'Agger wrote: »
    Have I missed something? Is the ban gone?

All I'm seeing is this which seems good, posted on the 9th

However, Fianna Fáil councillor Seán Martin said he doesn’t believe that the ban has been effective for traders.

“It hasn’t done any good for the retailers. The city centre was dug up for years with the main drainage scheme and then it was the flooding. We are hitting the same people all the time,” he added.

Ugh, amazing that people vote for the likes of Sean Martin, Tim Brosnan election after election. Footfall is up yet they're still moaning.

Irrespective of their choice, I'd hate to see anyone go out of business, Dukes are the youngest of the lot and they've been trading for 14 years.

Irrespective of their choice, I'd hate to see anyone go out of business, Dukes are the youngest of the lot and they've been trading for 14 years.

Ive seen Dukes on Twitter. The attitude of whoever it is who runs their Twitter account (presumably the owner) is horrendous. Sniping at people and seemingly oblivious to parking laws at their little place in Mahon City Gate. Not the sharpest tool in the box by the looks of it!

If Dukes go out of business, it'll be because of the owners treatment of customers.

Ive seen Dukes on Twitter. The attitude of whoever it is who runs their Twitter account (presumably the owner) is horrendous. Sniping at people and seemingly oblivious to parking laws at their little place in Mahon City Gate. Not the sharpest tool in the box by the looks of it!

If Dukes go out of business, it'll be because of the owners treatment of customers.

Respect your opinion but it seems to be third party again. I haven't seen anything overly negative and always use them in Mahon over Starbucks as they are family run and buy local, anyway this is about the Pana ban not Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Thats a nasty post about someone you obviously dont know.

Good to know the places to try support over the Christmas.

Good to know the places to try support over the Christmas.

You'll be in some hoop after eating John Graces, followed by Tung Sing!

Tung Sing to line the stomach for beer and John graces for a feed on the way home!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Tung Sing to line the stomach for beer and John graces for a feed on the way home!

And would you be planning to drive your car through Patrick St after you have tanked up on beer?

Advertisement