Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think it's fairly safe to say that this private car ban is a distant memory at this stage.

I don't understand the point of doing it if there is no enforcement. All that fuss over nothing, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think it's fairly safe to say that this private car ban is a distant memory at this stage.

I don't understand the point of doing it if there is no enforcement. All that fuss over nothing, really.

Who cares, there is no one around. Having said that most weekends I’m driving down Patrick Street it’s after 7pm. It’s sad driving through the heart of the city and it’s absolutely dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

fin12 wrote: »
    Who cares, there is no one around. Having said that most weekends I’m driving down Patrick Street it’s after 7pm. It’s sad driving through the heart of the city and it’s absolutely dead.

Oliver Plunkett st is supposed to be fully pedestrianized until 4 in the morning too. I drove down there last Saturday eve. Cork County Council talk the talk but not much of this ever comes to fruition.

Who cares,.

Obviously, I do.

People just love to have something to complain about ....

• Advertisement

Lots of people care. Lots of people living in Cork would love a traffic free city centre.

People just love to have something to complain about ....

I absolutely revel in it.

Na, I only do it to annoy you.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Lots of people care. Lots of people living in Cork would love a traffic free city centre.

And lots living in city wouldn’t either.

Oliver Plunkett st is supposed to be fully pedestrianized until 4 in the morning too. I drove down there last Saturday eve. Cork County Council talk the talk but not much of this ever comes to fruition.

Why are u ever driving in the city centre if ur so opposed to cars in city centre. Go around the long way.

Why are u ever driving in the city centre if ur so opposed to cars in city centre. Go around the long way.

Am, because I live in the city centre, not everyone is passing through, some people call it home.

Just so happened to be in my car, barriers down on Oliver Plunkett st so drove down there. The barriers are supposed to be up until 4 in morning according to CCC, they're going down at 5 pm. The council are all talk but no action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Cork County Council can do all the talking they want about this, it has nothing whatsoever to do with them.

kub wrote: »
    Cork County Council can do all the talking they want about this, it has nothing whatsoever to do with them.

Who controls the barriers?

I see my error now, Cork City Council!

Who controls the barriers?

Cork City Council, not county.
    It was pretty obvious what you meant, though.

Am, because I live in the city centre, not everyone is passing through, some people call it home.

Just so happened to be in my car, barriers down on Oliver Plunkett st so drove down there. The barriers are supposed to be up until 4 in morning according to CCC, they're going down at 5 pm. The council are all talk but no action.

Did u need to drive down Oliver plunkett street to get to ur home? There’s no other route u could have gone. Ur complaining about cars going down there but yet drove down there urself.

Did u need to drive down Oliver plunkett street to get to ur home? There’s no other route u could have gone. Ur complaining about cars going down there but yet drove down there urself.

Yeah, I stopped at a premises on the street, that ok with you? I drove there because I could, if street was closed as CCC said it would be, I would not have drove down there. CCC talk out both sides of their mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The irony!

I used to enjoy going in town for a wander, but now it just annoys me. Clowns parked on footpaths, people driving down Patrick St., streets that are supposed to be pedestrianised full of cars.... and it's generally just grotty at this stage.

As long as people like yer man above treat the city like a village expecting to be able to drive down Patrick St, then its hopeless.

Yeah, I stopped at a premises on the street, that ok with you? I drove there because I could, if street was closed as CCC said it would be, I would not have drove down there. CCC talk out both sides of their mouth.

So one minute it’s cause u live in city centre and another cause u had to go to a premises. I often have to go to Oliver plummet street but park the car in Sputh mall and walk . I wouldn’t complain about something and then do the exact thing I’m complaining about.

Mardyke wrote: »
    The irony!

I used to enjoy going in town for a wander, but now it just annoys me. Clowns parked on footpaths, people driving down Patrick St., streets that are supposed to be pedestrianised full of cars.... and it's generally just grotty at this stage.

As long as people like yer man above treat the city like a village expecting to be able to drive down Patrick St, then its hopeless.

Sorry first of all I’m not a man and I’m against the pedestrinasation of the streets and read my post again , I drive down Pana after 7pm which is the rule, cars allowed after 6:30pm

So one minute it’s cause u live in city centre and another cause u had to go to a premises. I often have to go to Oliver plummet street but park the car in Sputh mall and walk . I wouldn’t complain about something and then do the exact thing I’m complaining about.

I don't have to explain to you what I was doing.

What i'm getting at is there is zero enforcement. The barriers could be easily programmed to stay up. There could be more enforcement on Patricks st or barriers. People will drive where ever they can get away with, I know because I did.

Saying that, living in the city centre I would welcome more barriers to limit cars on streets and better public transport like why the pana ban was introduced so I can get rid of my car.

Sorry first of all I’m not a man and I’m against the pedestrinasation of the streets and read my post again , I drive down Pana after 7pm which is the rule, cars allowed after 6:30pm

What do you drive down Pana for? Is it a daily cruise you do?

You're against pedestrianisation?!!

• Advertisement

What do you drive down Pana for? Is it a daily cruise you do?

I said at the weekend. To collect takeaways.

I said at the weekend. To collect takeaways.

What takeaways are on Patrick St.? Burger King, Tung Sing, Abrakebabra?

Could ya not go somewhere else? Where do ya park on Patrick St?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I am very much pro the ban, but I am not going to bend my self to prove a point. It is only good if everyone obeys it. Its the cynic in me that developed over the years, but if the ban is not enforced, I'm going to break it too.

Things don't change because of single people. Don't believe in the nonsense about solving plastic problem by recycling at home. We are not going to solve the traffic problem by driving less. Things change because of government policies; unfortunately CCC is not really decided on theirs.

What takeaways are on Patrick St.? Burger King, Tung Sing, Abrakebabra?

Could ya not go somewhere else? Where do ya park on Patrick St?

I don’t park, I drive through it which is what I said.

It does seem very strange to be against pedestrianisation, on the face of it, but I'll freely admit that I'd be fairly peeved if my street was pedestrianised and I couldn't park on it.

I don’t park, I drive through it which is what I said.

How do you pick up your takeaway if you don't stop the car? I'm baffled, to be honest, how you'd end up on Patrick St in your car for a takeaway (unless its for Burger King, which is the only one in Cork I think)....

How do you pick up your takeaway if you don't stop the car? I'm baffled, to be honest, how you'd end up on Patrick St in your car for a takeaway (unless its for Burger King, which is the only one in Cork I think)....

Im not getting a takeaway from Patrick street, I’m driving through Patrick street to get to grand parade / south mall. What’s the problem? I’m driving down there after 6:30 pm so u actually have got nothing to argue with me about cause cars can drive down there every day after 6:30pm. I’m not in favor of pedestrianization so why would I have to defend myself driving down Pana.

I’m not in favor of pedestrianization .

I'm curious about this statement.
    You are against the Saint Patrick's Street restrictions or you are against pedestrianisation, generally?

Or perhaps you are against further pedestrianisation and are OK with current levels?

Or maybe you'd like to see winthrop Street and carey's Lane etc to be reopened to cars?

I'm not being smart, I'm really curious what your actual stance is.

I'm intrigued as well!

Baffles me, to be honest, where you'd be coming from that you'd HAVE to drive down Patrick St for a takeaway...

But aside from that, I can't fathom someone who'd want to dig up Paul St Plaza and get some traffic in there.

Bonkers.

I wonder is it Ann Doherty?

• Advertisement

I'm intrigued as well!

Baffles me, to be honest, where you'd be coming from that you'd HAVE to drive down Patrick St for a takeaway...

But aside from that, I can't fathom someone who'd want to dig up Paul St Plaza and get some traffic in there.

Bonkers.

I wonder is it Ann Doherty?

R u serious? I’m coming from the North side. Not that hard to work out.

Advertisement