Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options
1757677787981»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

fin12 wrote: »
    R u serious? I’m coming from the North side. Not that hard to work out.

I’m only against pedestrinising streets that are not already pedestrianised.

No clue who she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

R u serious? I’m coming from the North side. Not that hard to work out.

Would you mind telling me where you are coming from (roughly) on the Northside and what takeaway you are getting??! Just so I can try and get my head around it.....

Mardyke wrote: »
    Would you mind telling me where you are coming from (roughly) on the Northside and what takeaway you are getting??! Just so I can try and get my head around it.....

No I will not. Get ur head around a person driving down a road... there’s nothing to get.

Evening ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ah how I missed this thread..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah how I missed this thread..... :)

It goes from 0 to 60 in 8.2 seconds!
    I really wasn't trying to start a bunfight but it is very entertaining!

Fin, what did you order from the takeaway and was it any good?
    How much was it?
    Where did you park?
    What size engine does your car have?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No clue who she is.

CEO of the city council.

Hands up if you want to know what takeaway Fin12 gets??

How much was it?
    Where did you park?

Well I can say for certain all the takeaways I’ve got have all been worth driving down Patrick street for lol...

How much was it?
    Where did you park?

Any chance we can get a cyclist and a lorry driver to join in :)

• Advertisement

Well I'm a pedestrian, a motorist and a cyclist in the city, in that order.
    (might be stretching is calling myself a cyclist but I do have a bike)

Well I'm a pedestrian, a motorist and a cyclist in the city, in that order.
    (might be stretching is calling myself a cyclist but I do have a bike)

That's just boasting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was in town recently for the first time in ages as I had an appointment there. Man, it's depressing. Traffic seems to be back with a vengeance, and the stink of toxic fumes from standing traffic was genuinely stomach churning. Streets look run down and Patrick Street was a free for all during the bus lane time. City Council need to get their act together or the place will never recover once restrictions lift. There is nothing to attract people in there.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Was in town recently for the first time in ages as I had an appointment there. Man, it's depressing. Traffic seems to be back with a vengeance, and the stink of toxic fumes from standing traffic was genuinely stomach churning. Streets look run down and Patrick Street was a free for all during the bus lane time. City Council need to get their act together or the place will never recover once restrictions lift. There is nothing to attract people in there.

It's a real shame, but I've gone from really enjoying a wander around town to having no interest...

It's too dangerous and frustrating with the amount of traffic, illegal parking and general neglect.

The Council and every single Lord Mayor over the last 20 years are to blame.

But when you see the stupidity of Joe Kavanagh during the week, it's easy to understand how the neglect has happened.

But, sure... As long as we can drive along the main street for a takeaway, that's the main thing....

The attempt at restricting traffic on Paul Street is a miserable failure, too.

The attempt at restricting traffic on Paul Street is a miserable failure, too.

These things will never work if the people implementing them have zero interest in them working.

It's only posturing from CCC.

You look at the initiatives that CCC tried to take credit for, under the guise of cresting space for people... Prince's St was driven by and purely for the benefit of Clancys, up on McCurtain St widening the footpath was driven by and for the benefit of the guy in Shelbourne Bar.... Most of the others were either token gestures, which offered very little (Tuckey St, Paul St) or streets that should never have had cars on them (Harley St)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Speaking of CCC, does anyone know whatever happened to the "second reopening plan"
    20 May 2020 - According to Cork City Council, the first phase of re-opening of the city involved the pedestrianisation of the Marina near Páirc Uí Chaoimh and the re-introduction of pedestrianisation on Oliver Plunkett Street in the city centre.

As part of the second phase of re-opening the city, Cork City Council is proposing the pedestrianisation of Emmet Place, Father Matthew Street, Fitton Street East, Liberty Street, Cross Street, Castle Street and Daunts Square.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-city-set-to-pedestrianise-streets-and-increase-cycle-paths-1.4258038

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Lorry driver here

You have a cyclist

Mardyke wrote: »
    It's a real shame, but I've gone from really enjoying a wander around town to having no interest...

It's too dangerous and frustrating with the amount of traffic, illegal parking and general neglect.

The Council and every single Lord Mayor over the last 20 years are to blame.

But when you see the stupidity of Joe Kavanagh during the week, it's easy to understand how the neglect has happened.

But, sure... As long as we can drive along the main street for a takeaway, that's the main thing....

unless patrick street is blocked off and made as a huge footpath. It’s a legal road, ur arguments are a pure joke just like this thread, so I’m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

unless patrick street is blocked off and made as a huge footpath. It’s a legal road, ur arguments are a pure joke just like this thread, so I’m out.

Good.

• Advertisement

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Good.

While I disagree with them, mostly, the views of people against restricting movement of cars in the city are interesting and important to hear.

However, you could make the argument that the views of someone who has, "who cares?" as a response to lack of legal enforcement of the rules, as somewhat worthless.

I had time on my hands today and found myself at the top of Patrick's Street, by Daunt's Square so I decided to count the cars passing over 5 minutes to satisfy my curiosity.
    This was at around 15.55.
    I set a timer on my phone and counted cars going in both directions as they passed the pedestrian crossing.
    I discounted taxis and busses. No motorbikes passed.

In the 5 minutes that I observed, 48 cars passed.
    On a Sunday.

I really don't want to ever hear ccc claiming that they have put in traffic restrictions on Patrick's Street.

I saw Ann Doherty and the Lord Mayor chap (whoever he is) swanning around behind Micheal Martin the other day desperate to be attached to the supposed funding for some development.

Those two are an embarrassment. Traitors to the city. Yer wan takes 150k a year off the city and doesn't even live here.

I wonder did either of them find their way to Patrick St or any of the other half arsed attempts of pedestrianising street in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I had time on my hands today and found myself at the top of Patrick's Street, by Daunt's Square so I decided to count the cars passing over 5 minutes to satisfy my curiosity.
    This was at around 15.55.
    I set a timer on my phone and counted cars going in both directions as they passed the pedestrian crossing.
    I discounted taxis and busses. No motorbikes passed.

In the 5 minutes that I observed, 48 cars passed.
    On a Sunday.

I really don't want to ever hear ccc claiming that they have put in traffic restrictions on Patrick's Street.
    I still wont drive down there between 3 and 6.30 on principle go up the coal quay although that really should be blocked to traffic,work something else for corpoaration building residents maybe come in off lavitts quay.

Lo and behold, someone on twitter posted a pic of Gardaí stopping motorists on Patrick's Street yesterday.

Don't know if any tickets were issued, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

No tickets were issued. It was continuation of the periodic softly softly "advisement and awareness" campaign that has been so effective over the course of the last three years.

Advertisement