Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking tickets for some but not for all?

• 22-03-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Walking down Johns St earlier I noticed a parking warden hovering around an unoccupied jeep parked on a double yellow line across from the bus stop. He seemed to be a bit reluctant to produce a ticket. The jeep had the logo of a Sligo town cafe printed on the side.

I hung around for about 10 minutes to see what was the issue with not giving the ticket. He seemed to be searching his phone for a phone number.

A passing car stopped and chatted to the warden for a minute or so. As the car was pulling off the warden shouted "do you have a number for her?"

A couple of minutes later the owner was still nowhere to be seen and the warden still hadn't given a ticket. At that point I had to go so have idea if the illegally parked jeep received a ticket.

I have no problem with traffic wardens they have a job to do but WTF? If someone is caught parking illegally do they not deserve a ticket? Do we all need to get to know the wardens?

Comments

• Maybe the Traffic Warden seen a purse, mobile phone or other valuable item on the passenger seat and wanted to let the owner know in case the vehicle was broken into?

Well maybe it was on a double yellow. Have you ever parked on one for even 30 seconds to drop something off?

Traffic Wardens, Cops, whatever, we all need to cut each other a little bit of slack at times. We'd all be a lot happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Maybe the Traffic Warden seen a purse, mobile phone or other valuable item on the passenger seat and wanted to let the owner know in case the vehicle was broken into?

Well maybe it was on a double yellow. Have you ever parked on one for even 30 seconds to drop something off?

Traffic Wardens, Cops, whatever, we all need to cut each other a little bit of slack at times. We'd all be a lot happier.
    Firstly, this was not 30 seconds, it was more like 10+ mins.
    Second I never mentioned anything cops and I stated I have nothing against the job that traffic wardens, if we didn't have them there would be cars parked everywhere.

The point I was trying to make was someone should get 10+ minutes grace because they might/might not know the traffic warden.

If I parked on Johns st on the double yellow lines in order to run into the 4 lights to grab a takeaway, do I have cause to argue if there is a ticket on my car when I come out even if it was for two min?

Ok local businesses have deliveries to make but why did the warden hang around, why was he trying to contact someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

You'd want to visit cork city court house ,and all around it,good,and wardens blissfully ignore done,and condemn others,and nothing being done about it for years, despite being regularly mentioned on red FM,96 FM,and I mean cars on double lines,up on kerbs etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

There is usually a bit of leeway given to commercial vehicles loading/unloading, otherwise it would be difficult for shops to receive/dispatch goods. I know some cafes in town do deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

No, if it was a single yellow line that would be the case, but a double yellow line means you cant stop there at all. There's a reason roads are designed like that. The law can't be just ignored because Kathleen needs to buy a loaf of bread in the shop, but can't find a space near enough the door, so she picks the nearest clear area. The traffic warden wasn't doing his job and was trying his hardest to prevent someone he knows from being fined. Sligo has a poor enough layout that, at the very least, the drivers who disobey the rules of the road should be punished.

Traffic Wardens, Cops, whatever, we all need to follow the law. We'd all be a lot happier.

FTFY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Have a look at the garage at the entrance to the Quayside carpark next time you're about that way. The owner has only 1 space on his premises to work on any cars so he uses both the pay & display spaces outside his door, as well as the double yellow lines either side of those spaces and double yellow lines across the street. Never gets a ticket. Why? Because he's friends with the wardens, they stop for a chat every day on their rounds. There's a private parking space just outside the entrance to the Quayside apartments that's a goldmine for the council, someone gets done for parking in it at least twice a week. They've no problem ticketing anyone there, even though it's just down the street from their friend's business. I've been tempted to email the council in the past about it but I know exactly what will be done about it - nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have a look at the garage at the entrance to the Quayside carpark next time you're about that way. The owner has only 1 space on his premises to work on any cars so he uses both the pay & display spaces outside his door, as well as the double yellow lines either side of those spaces and double yellow lines across the street. Never gets a ticket. Why? Because he's friends with the wardens, they stop for a chat every day on their rounds.

I refer to this

Imagine the additional cost to a small indie garage that has to pay for parking every day for a couple of vehicles outside his premises.

Seriously, people we all just need to relax a bit.

If someone gets stopped for speeding because they're bringing their wife who's in labour to the hospital, should they be made wait there whilst they get a ticket before being sent on their way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No, if it was a single yellow line that would be the case, but a double yellow line means you cant stop there at all. There's a reason roads are designed like that. The law can't be just ignored because Kathleen needs to buy a loaf of bread in the shop, but can't find a space near enough the door, so she picks the nearest clear area. The traffic warden wasn't doing his job and was trying his hardest to prevent someone he knows from being fined. Sligo has a poor enough layout that, at the very least, the drivers who disobey the rules of the road should be punished.

FTFY

You are are allowed to unload on double yellow lines! Same way you can on single.

wonski wrote: »
    You are are allowed to unload on double yellow lines! Same way you can on single.

err, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In Fingal, not Sligo

It doesn't matter where. It is not council bye law, it is in the rules of the road.

wonski wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where. It is not council bye law, it is in the rules of the road.

Depends on what you read. I'd imagine the irish statue book is more accurate than some local councillor
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

This is Ireland. Most people, from Garda Commissioners down to mass going pensioners, only have regard for the law when it suits them. When it doesn't, they ignore it.

Fingal Council's traffic section and the Sligo Traffic Warden the OP mentioned appear to be no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's all down to the tax disc, a parking warden or clamper will always look at the tax disc first no matter how illegally parked a car may be perceived to be, the tax disc will rule what they can do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Depends on what you read. I'd imagine the irish statue book is more accurate than some local councillor
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;
    Except that you didn't read the non-application section of the same act:
    5 (2) ( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I refer to this

Imagine the additional cost to a small indie garage that has to pay for parking every day for a couple of vehicles outside his premises.

Seriously, people we all just need to relax a bit.

If someone gets stopped for speeding because they're bringing their wife who's in labour to the hospital, should they be made wait there whilst they get a ticket before being sent on their way?

I've no problem with cutting someone some slack, such as in your example. But this is a business. Surely he realised he didn't have adequate facilities when he started it? It's not like it happened overnight! The Quayside used to have a car valeting service in the carpark, independently run. Should Quayside management have let their customers off with not having to pay the carpark fees since they're a small indie business?

• I think Sligo Blue gave an accurate explanation as to what the OP may have seen.

I think its only fair to allow local commercial businesses a bit of lee way. We all lose out eventually in some way if deliveries and collections aren't able to be made. Which from the original post, may have been what the Traffic Warden was doing.

sligoblue wrote: »
    There is usually a bit of leeway given to commercial vehicles loading/unloading, otherwise it would be difficult for shops to receive/dispatch goods. I know some cafes in town do deliveries.

• It's all down to the tax disc, a parking warden or clamper will always look at the tax disc first no matter how illegally parked a car may be perceived to be, the tax disc will rule what they can do next.

Could you expand on that a bit Atlantic Dawn? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's all down to the tax disc, a parking warden or clamper will always look at the tax disc first no matter how illegally parked a car may be perceived to be, the tax disc will rule what they can do next.

Funny you should say that. Last year I parked on Wolfe Tone St. As I was walking up to the ticket dispenser I met a TW coming against me. I said I was getting a ticket for the "black Opel down there". He said, "You're grand. I'm just checking tax discs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was working on a job in the town centre for the last few weeks and to be fair to the TWs they gave us a fair bit of slack. Painters, plumbers etc had to drop off and pick up stuff. Once they got to know us they left us alone. As long as you dont take the pi$$ they're OK

Advertisement