Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using nickname on CV

Options
  • 22-03-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been out of the workforce for a while. I'm sending out applications soon and wondering if it would be ok to use my nickname on my CV. All official documents are under my birth name though, including exam certs.
    I would really prefer be called by the name I am known as by friends.
    It's not straightforward though, like Pat for Patrick or Shelly for Michelle. It's a bit less obvious.

Could it cause problems legally, or would an employer ask questions?
    If I started a job would it lead to problems with payroll, or other things?
    I'm Irish by the way and have always lived here so none of that is an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I would advise to use your birth name. Putting in a nickname might seem a little unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

rizzee wrote: »
    I would advise to use your birth name. Putting in a nickname might seem a little unprofessional.

Yes, big +1 on this. Im concerned you had to ask. get someone to look over your CV too - good luck with the job hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

You should go by the name the revenue know you as. Avoid Nicknames or what your friends call you for now. Let them get to know your nickname when your in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's a tough one, but I'm gonna go with using your own name on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Good god, just put your actual name on your CV. You can tell people to call you whatever the hell you want when you get the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Well if it were something like Shelly for Michelle or Tim for Timothy, Billy for William that would be OK. Those names work.

If your name is Anthony I wouldn't be saying Anto or if it were Niall I wouldn't be saying Nialler. Same with Johnno, Damo or other non-name based nicknames like some ones I know of : Chops, Smiler, Squealer, James "Pudding" Hally, Bubbles etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Well if it were something like Shelly for Michelle or Tim for Timothy, Billy for William that would be OK. Those names work.

If your name is Anthony I wouldn't be saying Anto or if it were Niall I wouldn't be saying Nialler. Same with Johnno, Damo or other non-name based nicknames like some ones I know of : Chops, Smiler, Squealer, James "Pudding" Hally, Bubbles etc etc

If he needs to be told the above, I think he's as well off saving himself the time and trouble of applying for a job at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi I'm Max Power...
    Let me take your business to the Max thru my Power of persuasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Plenty of people have a birth name but use another one in daily life, its not unusual. but your CV should be your birth name - which I assume correspondes your certs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Put your name into the format “Firstname (Nickname) Surname”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Kinda want to know the real name and the nickname.

John Smith
    AKA.
    John "Bonecrusher" Smith

dudara wrote: »
    Put your name into the format “Firstname (Nickname) Surname”

Anthony (Anto The Throat Slasher) Kelly.

Yeah, that wouldn't turn me off a candidate at all.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Gravelly wrote: »
    Anthony (Anto The Throat Slasher) Kelly.

Yeah, that wouldn't turn me off a candidate at all.

What about if you were looking for a hitman?

What about if you were looking for a hitman?

True, I hadn't thought of that. If the OP is going for a job as a hitman, clown, or barista, or a job in the collections dept. of a bank, it probably won't matter, but in all other cases, I would suggest leaving the nickname for outside of office hours.

I usually look through the CV's of people shortlisted for my dept. and if I saw a nickname as a name on a CV, I would assume the person wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and would bin it. They can call themselves Bongo The Wondercat once they have their feet under the desk, but not on their CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spring18

Some have their own idea of what a nickname is. I gave examples in my OP of what I meant. Mine is similar except it's not as obviously connected to the original.
    My birth name is longer and difficult for some to pronounce so this is another reason.

If it might cost me an interview or job though, I'll just leave it.
    Though as I said, I'd like to be called by what I consider to be my name now. I never use the other anymore unless I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Unless it's a silly nickname, I think it's ok. If it's something like Pat, Mike etc I think it's fine. I don't use my official name on my CV. Ive always gone by my actual middle name so that's what I use. Unless someone needs government identification, no one sees my actual name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I think you might have mis-represented yourself by calling it a "Nickname".

Generally, people associate the term "Nickname" with something that is for a laugh.

But if what you really meant is a shortened (but still respectable) version of your name.. eg. Bob for Robert or Gus for Augustine or something like that then I would say stick with the common name that you use every day and not your full name off your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

What do you use on your linkedin profile ?

use that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

John Smith AKA. John "Bonecrusher" Smith

Worked for Pat "The Cope" Gallagher.

As an aside, it drives me mental the way journalists always refer to him by that ridiculous moniker. His name is Pat Gallagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Where does that Cope thing even come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

If it's obvious from the name&nickname that they are just different versions of each other and the nickname is still a "real" name then I'd say go with the nickname on the c.v.
    The employer will see that it's just you're using a different version of your given name so no big deal. They won't imagine you've nicked the certs from someone who has an amazingly similar name.

Otherwise stick with your given name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

he put it on his cv when he was 18. stuck with him since

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

No idea. Another one is Kevin 'Boxer' Moran....???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wikipedia wrote: »
    His middle name 'The Cope' refers to his family connection to The Cope agricultural cooperative which operates in The Rosses area of West Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

My mate always uses his nickname. It's even on his imdb page.

Once it's not something stupid I wouldn't worry about it.

Real name on cv

If and when you get your job, introduce yourself to your colleagues using your nickname. Use your nickname in your email
    Signature, everyone will get the gist, and most people will use your nickname

This is how it has worked in the last two companies I’ve worked at. And loads do it, but why have this awkward conversation with HR or Payroll. They should be given your real name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

New guy started in my department and the name he goes by bares no resemblance to his name on the email system.
    Doesn't really cause any problems. I'm not sure why he did this but people are fine to call him by his 'nickname' (its a proper name).

I would leave CV under real name if its very different unless you have revenue,bank accounts,qualifications under this name also which you have said they are not.

If you get to an interview you can say to them that you use the other name, giving the reason for it.
    You will be remembered. If they offer job then ask them to set up up on email/phone system under your usual name. That's how most people will interact with you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Real name on cv

If and when you get your job, introduce yourself to your colleagues using your nickname. Use your nickname in your email
    Signature, everyone will get the gist, and most people will use your nickname

This is how it has worked in the last two companies I’ve worked at. And loads do it, but why have this awkward conversation with HR or Payroll. They should be given your real name

Exactly! Keep that side 'correct' and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,482 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cope comes from Co-op, as in Cooperative Society.
    The Kerry Healy Raes. They are simply Healy and Rae is the townland they are from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If your nickname is Max Power stick that on your CV, you'll get any high flying job you want.

Advertisement