Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using nickname on CV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I worked with this young one who spent half her time trying to get IT to change her email to her nickname. For some god unknown reason she wanted to be known as "Jazz". She would sign off on all her emails as "Jazz" and obviously everyone replying to her would respond with "Hi Jane". Because we worked in a bank, would you go take a hop with your "Jazz", you big gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I worked with this young one who spent half her time trying to get IT to change her email to her nickname. For some god unknown reason she wanted to be known as "Jazz". She would sign off on all her emails as "Jazz" and obviously everyone replying to her would respond with "Hi Jane". Because we worked in a bank, would you go take a hop with your "Jazz", you big gob****e.

Ya, if it's that don't do it, but I've got the impression from the OP it isn't. I go by my middle name instead of official first name in everything bar government documents, and it's never been called out or anything. I know a few others who are in similar situations for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

If it sounds like a proper name and everybody knows you by it then it should be fine to use. If they informally asked around about you what name would people know you by? I know someone who uses the middle name thing and I'd say 99% of friends, neighbours, colleagues genuinely wouldn't have a clue who you're talking about if you used his real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Op, if you genuinely have to ask this question then it clearly explains why you've been out of work.

I can't imagine how unlucky an employer would be to hire someone who asks is it okay to put a nickname on a cv......

Seriously... I hope this is all one big pish take

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d say forget the nickname get in the door and get the money.forget the rest.would be a shame if you had delayed wage because wages and salaries couldn’t lodge money into Jazz Murphy’s account instead of Mary Murphy’s account because of a mix up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

My guess is the op is foreign and he feels he is being discriminated against based on his foreign sounding name so is thinking of using his nickname to get his foot in the door.

Edit: just read the first post again he is Irish forget I said anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My parents have both been called by derivations of their name. Hence I was given a name that can't be shortened! Has caused huge problems for my mam as for her pension she is margaret, for bank she is nora and for day to day she is Peggy.

I work with a Chinese girl who adopted a western name.

Funnily enough this came up recently with a friend who discovered the name she's gone by all her life was not her name just one her parents decided they liked better. Caused havoc as she was getting married.

It also came up in work recently as a girl came in to apply for sonething who was transgender and she had John (joanna) on her application.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Use the full name version.
    Day 1 on the job, if successful, when they introduce you as "Anthony" reply with "Please, call me Anto". Repeat this per introduction until it catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

razorblunt wrote: »
    Use the full name version.
    Day 1 on the job, if successful, when they introduce you as "Anthony" reply with "Please, call me Anto". Repeat this per introduction until it catches on.

We used to have a lad from Tallaght working in the company, and everyone used to call him Anto even though his name was John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

You need to give the name on your birth cert, as that is your "official" name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Really depends on the name. My brother is (legally) Peter but has always been called Alan. He would put Alan on job stuff as that's his day to day name but his birth cert is Peter. Most people have no idea his name is Peter. If it's a 'normal' name then use it, really depends what you mean by nickname. Revenue don't care as long as your PPS is correct, different names is common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is Ireland. Names are by use and repute. Put whatever name you feel comfortable with down provided it's a normal name suitable for a professional adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

italodisco wrote: »
    Op, if you genuinely have to ask this question then it clearly explains why you've been out of work.

I can't imagine how unlucky an employer would be to hire someone who asks is it okay to put a nickname on a cv......

Seriously... I hope this is all one big pish take

I think people are completely misunderstanding what he means by nickname, I don't think he's talking about using a silly/makey-uppy name, rather that his birth cert name might be John but he's been called Peter his whole life. It's actually quite common in Ireland.

My granddad's official name was Joseph but he was Nick his entire life. My boss is the same, his "real" name is one thing but the name everyone knows him by, professionally and personally, bears no relation to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's the same for me my real name is my grandfather's name. My grandfather's name is a double barrel italian 1st name.

My passport, ID, Degrees you name have my full name.

While everyone knows me as the short name and to be fair it's only cutting off the 2nd part of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dudara wrote: »
    Put your name into the format “Firstname (Nickname) Surname”

That would look seriously lame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

tempnam wrote: »
    No idea. Another one is Kevin 'Boxer' Moran....???

His father ran a Co-Op (pronounced cope) in Donegal, hence the nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

reminds me of a friend of mine who worked in retail during college, was looking for her first real job, and had "rarely calls in sick" on her CV.

Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think people are getting confused here about what the OP means. For example, (s)he are not saying that they are using a shortened version of their name (Mick instead of Michael) or a school nickname (Anto). It is a completely different name to the one on their official documents. For example my mother in laws name is Geraldine but her documents all say Mary, as that's the name she was christened with but not the name she's ever used. It happens in Ireland a bit where someones given name is different to their day to day name.

OP - it's totally okay to use your day to day name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think people are getting confused here about what the OP means. For example, (s)he are not saying that they are using a shortened version of their name (Mick instead of Michael) or a school nickname (Anto). It is a completely different name to the one on their official documents. For example my mother in laws name is Geraldine but her documents all say Mary, as that's the name she was christened with but not the name she's ever used. It happens in Ireland a bit where someones given name is different to their day to day name.

OP - it's totally okay to use your day to day name.

Like Batman, or Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I knew a fella that went by the name of Stabber xxxxxx, it was on his financial accounts and everything. It was a name he got as a kid because he accidentally stabbed his brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Gravelly wrote: »
    Like Batman, or Jesus.

What's wrong with Batman? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yes, put your nickname down. Dont forget to also put down your experience as a "full time mad b@stard" :)

Joking aside, nickname is fine in the following format so long as it is a sensible nickname FIRST NAME (NICK NAME) SURNAME

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The OP means he'd like to use the shortened version of his name. So instead of "Jarosław", they could be be called "Jay". There are a few different names for this. Some people call it your common name, but it is essentially their nickname.
    spring18 wrote: »
    Some have their own idea of what a nickname is. I gave examples in my OP of what I meant. Mine is similar except it's not as obviously connected to the original.
    My birth name is longer and difficult for some to pronounce so this is another reason.
    There is no issue in using that as your name.

OP; use it for a few bills (internet, electricity, bank, etc). When getting a passport, include said bills as proof that your shortened name is what you go by, but also have your full birth name on the page next to your passport so you don't have any issues when you go abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the_syco wrote: »
    The OP means he'd like to use the shortened version of his name. So instead of "Jarosław", they could be be called "Jay". There are a few different names for this. Some people call it your common name, but it is essentially their nickname.

There is no issue in using that as your name.

OP; use it for a few bills (internet, electricity, bank, etc). When getting a passport, include said bills as proof that your shortened name is what you go by, but also have your full birth name on the page next to your passport so you don't have any issues when you go abroad.
    Unless there is a change of name by deed poll, passports are issued in the name on the birth cert.
    Many people use familiar names such as Bertie Ahern. His birth cert name is Bartholemew and when the context requires he can style himself Bartholemew (Bertie) Ahern. It is obvious to anybody that one is the official name and the other is the familiar name.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Unless there is a change of name by deed poll, passports are issued in the name on the birth cert.
    Many people use familiar names such as Bertie Ahern. His birth cert name is Bartholemew and when the context requires he can style himself Bartholemew (Bertie) Ahern. It is obvious to anybody that one is the official name and the other is the familiar name.

No need for deed poll, just evidence you've been using the alternative name for at least 2 years - https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documents-for-passport-in-new-name/
    Two documents that show you are using your new name, such as your driver's licence, college identification card, school report, social welfare receipts, pay slip, utility bills, bank statements or official correspondence from a public or private sector organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't use my birth name, I use the shortened version and have applied to jobs with my chosen version, never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It's a good idea to have it stated on a page in the passport booklet, but doesn't have to be on the passport itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

A mate used to work with a bloke named Billy, who was a lazy sod and everyone called him "Billy Idle". If that's you OP I wouldn't put it on a job application. :D

Advertisement