Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb being set up in neighbouring apartment

Options
  • 22-03-2018 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'd be interested in people's views on this.

We have been happily renting in a small apartment building for the last few years. An apartment near ours was sold recently and is now being advertised as a full-time holiday rental on Airbnb.

It's a quiet, settled building, so we're not very happy about the idea of strangers coming and going on a regular basis.

I did a planning search and there's no record online of any application for change of use to short term letting. The apartments are all privately owned and the building is managed by a management company.

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience of anything similar. Would there be any point in reporting it to our landlord, or the management company, or the council?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have neighbours to each side and above and below my apartment. We had bad neighbours above and below with regards to noise. Above and below are now airbnb, and since they became airbnb it's been great. It is rare that they cause hassle. A lot less than people living there 24/7. Don't knock it until you experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wayfaring stranger

I have neighbours to each side and above and below my apartment. We had bad neighbours above and below with regards to noise. Above and below are now airbnb, and since they became airbnb it's been great. It is rare that they cause hassle. A lot less than people living there 24/7. Don't knock it until you experience it.

Thanks. That's interesting. This one by us is very new.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Regular tenants (unfortunately) have no review system, AirBnB do. Make sure you complain to the management co. through your LL if you're getting issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I did a planning search and there's no record online of any application for change of use to short term letting. The apartments are all privately owned and the building is managed by a management company.

Contact the management company as an Abnb may be against the rules. You may get lucky with quiet guests or you could end up with a 'business' being operated from the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Friends of ours near Dublin City Centre had the apartment above them turned into an Air Bnb. There would be gangs of 6/8 people up there in the 1 bed apt which had multiple beds in the bedroom and sofa bed in the living room. They'd be up having parties and my friend constantly had to knock up to tell them that their home was below this party pad.

This particular landlord squeezed so many beds into a tiny space so it was obviously cheap and attracted a certain type of crowd. If it's going to be a letting for 1-2people it's probably attract couples that will be less likely to be disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cash_Q wrote: »
    This particular landlord squeezed so many beds into a tiny space so it was obviously cheap and attracted a certain type of crowd. If it's going to be a letting for 1-2people it's probably attract couples that will be less likely to be disruptive.
    Pretty much this. The more people that can fit into the place, the more disruptive it'll be. Perhaps ask, via AirBnB, how many people can the apartment accommodate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The management company should have house rules for the building. Probably worth checking if Airbnb is allowed. If not -> talk to them directly or through your landlord

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭TanyGray

I was speaking to someone who has a so called rogue tenant living beside him who doesn't work and blasts music all night and him and his mattress start fight s work others in the block. his landlord can't get rid of him because of the tenancy rules.
    If he was an Airbnb tenant he would be gone sharpish and peace would break out again.

Pros and cons for everything I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Seeing as there is not much you can do at this stage then I'd wait to see how the airBnB works out first.

Remember the vast majority of users are exactly like yourself.

Advertisement