Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teckel

• 22-03-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi i m looking for contacts for people who breed working teckels. I m failing to find any lead through the internet seem to be very rear in ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi I have seen 2 teckel dogs working tbh with there short legs there no match for heavy gorse and very thick cover for Ireland a dog with a longer leg suits better imo I have a wired hair German pointer can handle the rough ground and terrain

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Vulture 1

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi I have seen 2 teckel dogs working tbh with there short legs there no match for heavy gorse and very thick cover for Ireland a dog with a longer leg suits better imo I have a wired hair German pointer can handle the rough ground and terrain

I hunt mostily low land fallow no gorse no stone walls but i see where you coming from just taugh he be small and easy to feed and wouldnt take up much space in the van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Watch out for spine and rear leg problems in the bloodline of whomever you get to breed. It is a major problem with the breed even in Germany.So God knows with puppy farming of exotics here what you might be getting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Watch out for spine and rear leg problems in the bloodline of whomever you get to breed. It is a major problem with the breed even in Germany.So God knows with puppy farming of exotics here what you might be getting.

Thanks for the heads up grizzly. Their are a lot of chancers around i ll more that likily end up wit a bavarian they seem easier to find. Just a bit big for my liking.

Bitter experience with Teckels[Bavarian for a Dachshund].We used to run them a lot in Germany for hunting but lost too many to that lameness..Flights of stairs FWIW are utter poison to them.The long spine and the short paws are not designed for stairs at all, and will cause major damage eventually.
    We switched to German Jagd terriers,and never looked back:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Bitter experience with Teckels[Bavarian for a Dachshund].We used to run them a lot in Germany for hunting but lost too many to that lameness..Flights of stairs FWIW are utter poison to them.The long spine and the short paws are not designed for stairs at all, and will cause major damage eventually.
    We switched to German Jagd terriers,and never looked back:)

Jagh terriers just looked them up there now interesting looks more atletic and not to big.
    Another rare beast in ireland.
    But you know what he look alot more useable than the teckel. Good tip there thank you Grizz

Jagd Terrier is a good all-rounder, not the best for retrieving birds, but good for deer and excellent for boar[if we have any].They are natural barkers so if you train them easily to be Todtverbeller [death barkers]as the HCAP manual describes them to find downed big game no problem...Just follow their non-stop barking to find your deer or boar.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Jagd Terrier is a good all-rounder, not the best for retrieving birds, but good for deer and excellent for boar[if we have any].They are natural barkers so if you train them easily to be Todtverbeller [death barkers]as the HCAP manual describes them to find downed big game no problem...Just follow their non-stop barking to find your deer or boar.:)

My mate had a jagd about 15 years ago. Had video's of him retrieving pheasant, duck and even fish. Good digging dog too.

Advertisement