Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it even possible? Luas passenger doors open on the side of oncoming traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

When a driver opens the wrong side its more than possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Totally possible and since the green line has only 2 island platforms you get muscle memory which defaults the fingers to the left side, I'd bet Harcourt Street is the primary location

The luas is, door release and then pick the side to release

Irish Rail is two buttons pressed together buttons on the top left of the console, open the left doors, the ones on the top right right the right, so pretty hard to get wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Human error.
    I bet those lads are so board sitting in those cabs alone all day, they are day dreaming .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd bet Harcourt Street is the primary location
    I'd have guessed it was one of the new stops which opens to the right? I think Westmoreland street would be one example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

zom wrote: »
    they are alerting drivers again to make sure that they open the doors on the right side ..."
    Correct side. :)

• Advertisement

They got a pay rise for the "very responsible" job they are doing and can't manage something so basic as doors. No excuses even if its one stop, I have had it happen at Busaras before when they opened on wrong size and recently the driver "forgot" to open the doors at Jervis, probally 90 seconds before they opened.

Would be great to hear Richard McCarthy SIPTU's shop steward opinion, he was well able to talk about the complex and the responsibility of the role during pay dispute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It must be Murphy's Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I always presumed this was automatic, like a open door button but it knew which door based on the stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They got a pay rise for the "very responsible" job they are doing and can't manage something so basic as doors. No excuses even if its one stop, I have had it happen at Busaras before when they opened on wrong size and recently the driver "forgot" to open the doors at Jervis, probally 90 seconds before they opened.

Would be great to hear Richard McCarthy SIPTU's shop steward opinion, he was well able to talk about the complex and the responsibility of the role during pay dispute...
    It's a tough gig alright.

Go.
    Stop.
    Open doors.
    Close doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Doesn't the passenger still have to press a button to open individual doors?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, but they have no control over which side the doors which will open are on. so the choice is to get out of the tram, possibly into a lane not intended for pedestrians, or miss their stop. either way, not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Collie D wrote: »
    Doesn't the passenger still have to press a button to open individual doors?

What if you can't see out properly? What if someone else press the button and you fall out?

Some Luas drivers just release the doors and passengers open while others release and all open at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yeah, it is possible. There's a few stops with island platforms so both sides need to be able to open over the course of a journey. Happened to me once on the red line a couple years ago - I & a couple others missed the tram because the doors didn't open. We saw too late that the doors on the wrong side had opened & he'd closed them before we could get around. Contacted Transdev about it - to be fair, they acknowledged it was a human error and I haven't seen it happen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

60 Grand a year and they don't know what doors to open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,223 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mebuntu wrote: »
    60 Grand a year

nope.

things happen. hopefully lessons will be learned.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,205 ✭✭✭Tow

Simple enough to automate...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a tough gig alright.

Go.
    Stop.
    Open doors.
    Close doors.

I'd rarely use my 'local' Luas line, but I'd bet the concentration and attention elements are the tough part of a otherwise monotonous job.

Advertisement