Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching

• 22-03-2018 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm a long time Mac user since 1989, I've owned a lot of macs, but now I'm seriously considering switching to Windows. to give some context, I have had a number of iMacs over the last few years and I predominantly use the mac for gaming now albeit in parallels. I'm in the fortunate position that Apple are replacing my current machine for a new one as the GPU's keep failing. I'm getting pretty sick of the high failure rates on the iMac. now I have had pretty bad luck with the models. all had known issues. (Pretty lucky in that I'm now getting a top line 5k iMac.) I use a mac in work through choice but I often wonder if I have my head in the sand.... I never get to experience the games a full graphics in fact mostly at minimal so missing out there. not sure if the new one will be better. Outside of that I do use the photo's app have an iPhone, airport base station, Apple TV etc, and love the fact that I have not had any virus's or reinstalled my OS for years. But through work I support a lot of PC's and tbh rarely see virus issues these days. Has win 10 caught up? Have Apple just priced themselves out of the market? I'm lucky for now but I know if I needed to buy the machine myself I'd be staring down a bill of €3500 which would be a heck of a lot of PC. - don't get me wrong if I were buying a PC I'd be spending that, for I know what the individual components are, I just feel I'm not getting the performance out of the Mac from a gaming perspective. e.g if we had the same spec pc it would be better! Obviously there is an aesthetic part, the windows machine will never have the wow factor a mac does and no amount of LED's( I mean really...) make it better.
    I find it quite amazing that I am asking myself this question but if you guys can remind me why I should mac that would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you are going to switch at least switch for the right reasons. Your back luck with iMacs is just bad luck. You could be just as unlucky with a PC. So I wouldn't let that influence your decision. However, if its a games machine you need, then it definitely sounds like you would be better served with a PC. For the price of a top of the line iMac you could probably build a decent gaming PC and get an entry level Macbook.

Advertisement