Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep related equipment-what do people find good?

• 22-03-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be useful to start a thread where we as a forum can share ideas or recommendations on sheep related equipment we need/use on the farm and are happy/unhappy with.

I had an old hoof parer that was brilliant,designed like a scissors with no serrated edge that was easily sharpened and very durable...lost it this winter:(

Yet to buy a replacement....would people recommend one of the ones with a serrated edge?.....hard to see anything like one I lost.Feel free to mention good makes people are happy with.
    Everyone to their own but I don’t believe in the theory of not paring overgrown hooves,I footbath sheep,pare trouble hooves and would have little lameness in flock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I bought a sheep crook this year. One end is for catching a sheep by the leg and another is wider for lambs I’m guessing. That’s what I use it for anyhow and find it brillant. Makes moving young lambs alot easier. Just something cheap and simple too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Probably a given on established farms but we bought a few 5-feet hurdles last year for the yard and put hooks into the walls at various points. Means we can easily adjust the size of the collection yard now. Don’t know how we managed without them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

8Ft hurdles & Automatic dosing guns & syringes
    No more catching in stalls & refilling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thought it might be useful to start a thread where we as a forum can share ideas or recommendations on sheep related equipment we need/use on the farm and are happy/unhappy with.

I had an old hoof parer that was brilliant,designed like a scissors with no serrated edge that was easily sharpened and very durable...lost it this winter:(

Yet to buy a replacement....would people recommend one of the ones with a serrated edge?.....hard to see anything like one I lost.Feel free to mention good makes people are happy with.
    Everyone to their own but I don’t believe in the theory of not paring overgrown hooves,I footbath sheep,pare trouble hooves and would have little lameness in flock.

We'd only pare rams feet....and that's only because we don't mind them for most of the year, seldom footbathed etc and then a month before the season comes and they're in a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

A jakoti shears is brilliant for dagging sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Can anyone recommend a particular hoof parer that they are happy with and where they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Can anyone recommend a particular hoof parer that they are happy with and where they got it?

Agri direct have a good few on the website, there's one type more suitable for ewes

DJ98 wrote: »
    Agri direct have a good few on the website, there's one type more suitable for ewes

Thanks DJ98......do you know which one is suitable for ewes? and why?

Burgon and Ball ones seem best if judging by expense.
    Footrot Shears at €19.99 look good...would you recommend serrated or non serrated ones.The good old one I had before for years was non serrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

I've the Burgon and Ball one... excellent

kk.man wrote: »

Thanks....if you don’t mind me asking...which one is it?.....as they have several different ones on the agridirect site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

kk.man wrote: »

Thanks....if you don’t mind me asking...which one is it?.....as they have several different ones on the agridirect site.
    The Self Sharpening Shears.

Advertisement