Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching cars mid policy (Chill)

• 22-03-2018 11:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36

Anyone else been charged €35 to change car mid policy? Apart from the fact it's unfair, I didn't see anything about this in their policy terms. Having reluctantly paid for this, I sent an email to chill asking them to point out exactly where in the terms it state this. No reply, even though they'd been replying by emails in the days prior.

They also failed to send me a confirmation email of my new details, after promising to do so on the phone. This could make it more difficult if I was stopped on the road. No reply to my emails about this either. I'm also entitled to a very small refund off the old policy, as I'll have moved to a newer car. I wouldn't be surprised if I'd to remind them about posting that check too.

EDIT: I since managed to find a mention of "up to €50" for policy amendment in the terms. I'd been looking for "€35". Either way, they were unhelpful about this in that they didn't reply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

AntiClimax wrote: »
    Anyone else been charged €35 to change car mid policy? Apart from the fact it's unfair, I didn't see anything about this in their policy terms, having looked of it. Having reluctantly paid for it, I sent an email to chill asking them to point out exactly where in the terms it state this. No reply, even though they'd been replying by emails in the days prior to this.

I'm also entitled to a very small refund off the old policy, as I'll have moved to a newer car. I wouldn't be surprised if I'd to remind them about posting that check too.

123.ie are the same, money for oul rope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

how.gareth wrote: »
    I would love to know the details of how insurance companies (and brokers) work behind the scenes, so that they can get most money when they've the upper hand. All we know (on the other end of the phone), is that it's hardly a coincidence that for a certain set of criterion, they can abuse it.

One doesn't know, whether they're some sort of algorithm designed to rip them off, OR whether the call rep gets more money for the more people they enable the company to rip off. I'd be quick to read a book about such issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I was given the exact same quote for a much cheaper car when I asked for quote. But was being charged 95euro, which the guy on the phone couldn't really explain what for. Closest that I could understand was that it was for administrative costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

how.gareth wrote: »

My wife has a policy with them.
    We added her sister as named driver for 2 weeks when she visited in the summer - cost 0.
    We changed vehicle to different one couple month ago - cost 0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

I was given the exact same quote for a much cheaper car when I asked for quote. But was being charged 95euro, which the guy on the phone couldn't really explain what for. Closest that I could understand was that it was for administrative costs.
    Youu mean u were being charged 95 extra (on top of the quote)?

• Advertisement

AntiClimax wrote:
    Youu mean u were being charged 95 extra (on top of the quote)?

Yes, but was told explicitly that the 'quote stays the same' but was asked to pay 95 'for changing vehicles'.

This is first ireland by the way, not Chill. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

It's called "terms of business". You read and accepted them when you took out cover. Brokers charge admin fees on top of the cost of the change.

Advertisement