Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm System for Outdoor Room

Options
  • 22-03-2018 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend an alarm system for an outdoor room/shed.

I have an existing system in house but it's really old so don't mind buying a standalone new system for shed.

Single Room 6 x 4 metres
    One Door
    Two Windows which can Open
    Electric CU
    Wifi & Router

Shed is being built so cabling not a problem

Requirements:
    • Panel which can be hidden
    • Separate Keypad
    • 3 Shock/contact sensors. One for each door/window
    • 2 Movement PIRs
    • External sounder
    • Internal sounder

I'm leaning towards a hard wired system but don't mind buying a hybrid.
    Ability to connect using Cat5 would be good to control over PC or through phone would be nice but not essential.

Max budget about €350-400 VAT incl.

Hoping to do a self install. Not afraid of a learning curve. Have already read up loads of stuff and a few install manuals.

Have been looking through threads discussing HKC & Siemens systems. Have looked at the HKC 1070 and Siemens SPC4220. Not sure if they're overkill.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For control over PC the SPC 4320 would be you best bet as it has full browser access both locally and remotely. Even with self installing you would be tight on your budget.
    If you were to go with just app access most systems have this now so you would have much better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Thanks.

App access would require SIM card I presume.

can you recommend a system with just app access?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Apps can be via IP, SIM or both.
    If you are using IP GSD & Siemens Vanderbilt are free to use & in both cases the apps are free to download.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Apps can be via IP, SIM or both.
    If you are using IP GSD & Siemens Vanderbilt are free to use & in both cases the apps are free to download.

So looking at the SPC 4221. It has an integrated web server. So does that mean I can hook it up to a router and control remotely via the app.

Also just read the thread on the HKC 1070 and controlling the outputs via the app to activate a relay and turn on/off lights under alarm and non-alarm state.
    Can the above set up with SPC 4221 do that also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If this was mine I would do the following:

Upgrade the existing alarm in the house to a HKC as it sounds like the house needs a new alarm anyway and his system offers both wired and wireless sensors (hybrid system). I would install a wireless sensor or two in the outdoor room, these can connect to the main house alarm. I would also install a wireless keypad also connected to the main house alarm. I would then wire additional sensors as required off the wireless sensors to ensure required coverage. If using a different alarm system a wireless bridge could also be considered. In my mind this does not justify having 2 separate alarm systems. Maybe if I saw it I would think differently.

Advantages:
    1) House and outdoor room are alarmed with a new modern high quality alarm system.
    2) House and outdoor room can be armed separately and with different codes.
    3) One phone app can control both and will notify you if there is an alarm event.
    4) As this is a hybrid system it is very flexible, you can add and change things easily.
    5) Outdoor room budget may be achievable depending on a few things.
    6) Only one alarm system to maintain.

Disadvantages:
    1) You need to pay for a new house alarm, so it will cost more.
    2) If the outdoor room is to far from the house winless will not work. There are a few tricks to boost the signal.

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    So looking at the SPC 4221. It has an integrated web server. So does that mean I can hook it up to a router and control remotely via the app.

Also just read the thread on the HKC 1070 and controlling the outputs via the app to activate a relay and turn on/off lights under alarm and non-alarm state.
    Can the above set up with SPC 4221 do that also.

It can be controlled via app or any web browser.
    The SPC can do outputs better than most.
    They can be controlled via the app, Web browser, multiple calander and timers.
    You can also have multiple triggers from alarm events or alarm zones etc.
    Eg back door opens switch on lights. Back door closes switch off. Alarm activates switch lights.
    Exit time running at night switch lights on and switch off 30 after system arms.
    Spc is also a hybrid system with wired and wireless.
    An app and a wireless keyfob might be better value than a wireless keypad as well.

2011 wrote: »
    If this was mine I would do the following:

Upgrade the existing alarm in the house to a HKC as it sounds like the house needs a new alarm anyway and his system offers both wired and wireless sensors (hybrid system). I would install a wireless sensor or two in the outdoor room, these can connect to the main house alarm. I would also install a wireless keypad also connected to the main house alarm. I would then wire additional sensors as required off the wireless sensors to ensure required coverage. If using a different alarm system a wireless bridge could also be considered. In my mind this does not justify having 2 separate alarm systems. Maybe if I saw it I would think differently.

Advantages:
    1) House and outdoor room are alarmed with a new modern high quality alarm system.
    2) House and outdoor room can be armed separately and with different codes.
    3) One phone app can control both and will notify you if there is an alarm event.
    4) As this is a hybrid system it is very flexible, you can add and change things easily.
    5) Outdoor room budget may be achievable depending on a few things.
    6) Only one alarm system to maintain.

Disadvantages:
    1) You need to pay for a new house alarm, so it will cost more.
    2) If the outdoor room is to far from the house winless will not work. There are a few tricks to boost the signal.

Thanks. I have considered this option and it might well be the sensible thing to do. I had the impression in the back of my mind that I could move the new panel to the house down the line if I needed to and set it up along the lines you propose. Distance is about 20m.
    Would it be worth laying cable now to facilitate a posible future move.

KoolKid wrote: »
    It can be controlled via app or any web browser.
    The SPC can do outputs better than most.
    They can be controlled via the app, Web browser, multiple calander and timers.
    You can also have multiple triggers from alarm events or alarm zones etc.
    Eg back door opens switch on lights. Back door closes switch off. Alarm activates switch lights.
    Exit time running at night switch lights on and switch off 30 after system arms.
    Spc is also a hybrid system with wired and wireless.
    An app and a wireless keyfob might be better value than a wireless keypad as well.

Had a look at board layout diagram and see 3 on-board outputs. Is that the limit of outputs. I’m thinking of controlling two light circuits via the app in non-alarm state. That would leave just one spare output would it not.

You could get another by combining the internal siren with the strobe. You can add an output expander for more or if you want more zones a zone expander gives you 8 additional zones and 2 additional outputs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks. I have considered this option and it might well be the sensible thing to do. I had the impression in the back of my mind that I could move the new panel to the house down the line if I needed to and set it up along the lines you propose.

It’s quite simple really, you have a substandard house alarm and one new alarm could meet all of your requirements. I don’t see any logic for having two alarms.
    Distance is about 20m.

This shouldn’t be an issue for wireless but this can easily be assessed before you commit.
    Would it be worth laying cable now to facilitate a posible future move.

An alarm cable? Absolutely, hardwired is always preferable. Wireless is the way to go when installing a cable isn’t a practical option.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    It’s quite simple really, you have a substandard house alarm and one new alarm could meet all of your requirements. I don’t see any logic for having two alarms.

This shouldn’t be an issue for wireless but this can easily be assessed before you commit.

An alarm cable? Absolutely, hardwired is always preferable. Wireless is the way to go when installing a cable isn’t a practical option.

Yes. Planning on laying 6 core.

The difference is I won’t go near my house alarm and will leave it to professionals but I’m quite happy to have a go with shed alarm.

Yes. Planning on laying 6 core.

I would install a few more 6 cores than that I were you! It won't cost you much as 100m drum of alarm cable is less than €20. The keypad requires 4 cores (a wired keydap is cheaper and better), a wired PIR (motion detector) requires 6 cores (much cheaper than a wireless PIR) and each shock sensor / contact zone requires 4 cores. There are ways to reduce the number of cores, but it is better not to. Also a bellbox requires 6 cores.

Having too many cables or cores is never an issue, not having enough can be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Is it possible to program/change settings on your SPC 4320 panel remotely over the internet if you have Engineer/Manager access?

Advertisement