Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Mistake..

• 23-03-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So last year I sold my property and paid the redemption figure at the time (approx. €150k). Now the bank have come back and said there is an extra 28k owing on the mortgage. This is correct as they made a mistake with the 150k which I realised but said nothing rightly or wrongly at the time.
    The house is now obviously sold but they are still taking the mortgage repayment out of my account each month to cover the 28k. I suppose the bottom line is that I do owe the money but would anyone think that I may have grounds for some sort of reduction or write off as they made the mistake and are taking a mortgage payment for a property I don’t own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Do you have any documentation to say that the 150k is a full and final redemption amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Yes I have the statement with the redemption figure on it for 150k

Does it specifically state that it is a redemption figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greenshoot83

Yes i received a redemption statement with the 150k on it and my solicitor paid it in full once i sold the house. It clearly states redemption figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Depending on the exact wording and your mortgage contract, you could go back to them and say that it had been finalised with the redemption.

However they could take legal action if they feel they have enough to warrant it; for that amount it would be likely.

You'd need legal advice to determine if the documents for redemption sufficiently cover your ability to say that they agreed to finalise on that figure. But there may be something in your mortgage contract that covers mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Yes i received a redemption statement with the 150k on it and my solicitor paid it in full once i sold the house. It clearly states redemption figure.

If you have it in writing from the bank that the redemption of the mortgage is €150k and you paid that, then I don't see how you should still be paying.

I'd be asking them why and talking to my solicitor. technically, due to their error, you don't own any more than the 150k you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greenshoot83

testicles wrote: »
    Are PaddyCar & greenshoot83 the same person?

Husband and wife. I posted on his tablet by mistake without logging myself in. Sorry for the confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement