Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Aquathlon Champs 2018

Options
  • 23-03-2018 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

NATIONAL CHAMPS ON BULL ISLAND
    Pulse Triathlon Club will host this year's Aquathlon National Championships on Bull Island, Dublin on May 13th 2018.

The first race of the club's popular summer aquathlon series will see the country's best swim-runners line up for the first open water national title of 2018.

Three national titles will be up for grabs in each gender on the day:
    - Senior Aquathlon Championships
    - Junior Aquathlon Championships (17-19 year olds)
    - Youth Aquathlon Championships (15-16 year olds)

In addition, a special Aquathlon Festival over Super Sprint distances (500m swim, 5km run) will be held.

COURSE AND DISTANCES
    The Senior and Junior races will be run over the traditional course of the Pulse Aquathlon with a 1000m swim along the Bull Wall before a 5km out and back run along the stunning Dollymount Strand.

The Youth race will see competitors swim a shorter distance of 500m along the Bull Wall before completing a 2.5km run course.

These Champs have moved away from an inland swim for the first time in a few years, and the water will still be relatively cold in mid-May. From the looks of things its a full beach run- anyone know what the strand is like to run on, and are shoes a help or hindrance? It should be an interesting race on the day, the weather might play a part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Only done an aquathon there once but would know the area. Swim is sheltered enough but can be choppy at times, not as much as the open sea but has it's moments. I was surprised at how choppy it was the race I done.

The run on the beach is on compacted sand, it's hard enough, little bit of give in it but it's pretty solid. Not sure about running barefoot on it, can't remember anyone doing it when I done the race. The wind could be a big factor, usually windy enough there anyway and the beach is fairly long and open. Could make the run a bit of a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did the Clontarf half there a few years ago and whilst the sand is ok for running on the wind when I did it was brutal. If it's windy in the day that'll be a big factor for the run (and swim!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭El Director

Just did one there and really enjoyed, weather was perfect that day. Certainly wouldn't do a 5k barefoot unless my feet/calfs/legs were very used of it! As Joey says, the sand is compact and to me it was really nice for running on. Might do this as my first jump into OW this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Would definitely recommend not to do it barefoot... There are loads of tiny sharp shells along the strand. Did it a year or two ago and got a shell stuck in my foot from the swim to transition. Yeah i was unlucky but it was only a short run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

10 days to go and there's a preview of these Champs on the TI website .

I've been in a couple of times, the sea is still pretty cold but fine after a few minutes. This weekends heatwave should bump up the water temps a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    10 days to go and there's a preview of these Champs on the TI website .

I've been in a couple of times, the sea is still pretty cold but fine after a few minutes. This weekends heatwave should bump up the water temps a bit.

What kind of sand is it Kurt, compacted or the loose undulating stuff ? Ive never run down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

It's compacted and flat from what I remember

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yep compacted. Not bad for running on. Anyone doing this on Sunday? Have wanted to do National Aquathlon champs but never felt like it justified a trip to Galway just to finish midpack so would be a shame to miss when it's so close to home. Doesn't really fit with my planned training for the week but no bother to go over to Dollymount to finish midpack :P

Got into the sea on Monday, temps were grand after 100m or so.

Yep compacted. Not bad for running on. Anyone doing this on Sunday? Have wanted to do National Aquathlon champs but never felt like it justified a trip to Galway just to finish midpack so would be a shame to miss when it's so close to home. Doesn't really fit with my planned training for the week but no bother to go over to Dollymount to finish midpack :P

Got into the sea on Monday, temps were grand after 100m or so.

Yeah gonna give it a lash. Was in the sea last weekend in both wetsuit and skins and it was fine.

According to Pulse FB page they have sold out the Aquathlon. Great to see, and proof there's an audience for relatively cold sea swims (now lets hope for a bit of chop ;) )

• Advertisement

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    According to Pulse FB page they have sold out the Aquathlon. Great to see, and proof there's an audience for relatively cold sea swims (now lets hope for a bit of chop ;) )

Not too much though as I don't want to go there for a 10k run(assume it goes to 10k run) if swim cancelled :pac:

Another great event from Pulse, albeit a bit behind schedule. Water temps weren't too bad, got towards the back of the queue to get in so I wouldn't be waiting around in water too long before getting started but had been treading water so long by the time we started that I'd warmed up anyway. Not my best swim and an even worse run...but good to get tri season kicked off.

Why does everyone go so far wide of the buoys in the swim? Swimming on my own once I passed the first buoy (tight to the white buoy and second red) because everyone else was out to the right. Do people think it's quicker out there or what?

Why does everyone go so far wide of the buoys in the swim? Swimming on my own once I passed the first buoy (tight to the white buoy and second red) because everyone else was out to the right. Do people think it's quicker out there or what?

Started on the left as the tide and breeze were heading towards clontarf. Defo not faster out wide. A lot started way right and probably ended up wide as a result. Once around the first red bouy it was difficult to sight the white bouy in the sun. Id say a lot sighted the poolbeg lighthouse and ended up right. Constantly had to check i wasnt missing something!!

Overall a great race, well organised (bar the delay) and good practice before Carlow.

Hats off to Pulse tri, that was the best organization I’ve seen at a race. It meant we could relax and enjoy the course.

Water temperature was perfect for racing (for those of us who purposely carried insulating blubber into these early champs). Noticed that people were swimming wide also, probably a mixture of drift and sighting too wide as mentioned above. A nice hard swim between the red buoys- personally I found sighting easy enough. Enjoyed it so much I ploughing into clear water throughout, probably a lesson to be learned.
    Found the run tough enough, the sand sapped energy, especially for those larger units erstwhile singing praises to the power of blubber: swings and roundabouts! I had a goal for these champs for a while and made it so happy driving home. Good to meet a few from here.

Thanks Pulse and B2R for putting in the effort to make today such a highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Anyone know where results can be found?

keane=cock wrote: »
    Anyone know where results can be found?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yf6eB-dD8ImmqiNvEXDFTv_1c5BJOqGV/view

They looked better(tidier) earlier so assume timing company still working on them.

Advertisement