Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I somehow missed you at it. Was kinda distracted making sure the small fella didn’t wreck something!

0_D6_AD65_A-_D374-45_BF-_A485-791_AACA9_CF51.jpg

213052_C0-8988-4950-831_D-143485_FD3_D32.jpg

249_F5642-50_F0-4_DA7-9_EE6-89_CA1_D1247_D0.jpg

2772435_A-_E4_AC-469_D-9_A8_C-_EED9_EE022_D3_D.jpg

2_C56_BE85-4_F1_B-4_AE2-_B2_CD-_E405_CF2_D078_E.jpg

3153_A744-_E58_E-46_A9-_BD35-_EFB61_C3417_DB.jpg

3861_C83_A-2_EAB-4_E76-_A8_BA-0887_E8_F5_C16_D.jpg

67_C97422-07_D1-4_E8_D-_A0_C3-_A75133831499.jpg

83_A48401-84_E3-488_B-986_B-2471_D8_C35_AE7.jpg

842_CCE63-7_A81-4_E13-_BA86-7_A39_BD893_CA7.jpg

B3_A29135-3168-4_B21-84_D1-_BA8_D19_CDB03_A.jpg

BEEAB8_C8-_AEEA-4_F82-8344-2741_BD752_F5_B.jpg

D3_AE3_E33-_D710-4746-_A5_CD-3_DB2_A7_CCE92_F.jpg

D7_BC722_E-2_B7_F-4836-_B3_D0-0_A5_A453_DEB10.jpg

ED1861_CA-_E5_BC-44_D6-_BBDD-80_D3_E127_D7_E9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I had an opportunity to go to Limerick yesterday for the Munster match. Should have taken it and gone back to Dublin via Limerick! Lovely cars there for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had an opportunity to go to Limerick yesterday for the Munster match. Should have taken it and gone back to Dublin via Limerick! Lovely cars there for sure.

If you ever do, PM me, I know you appreciate the 6cyl 3 series coupes!

Cheers, will do for sure. I do be in Limerick often enough. Would love to see your E36 some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Today was funny. One young lad was passing by my car while I was throwing my hoody in a boot.
    He stopped, looked at the car and said: Whats so special about your car? Me: "Its a cupra" Him: "Oh!!!" :D
    Its almost a sleeper at this point! :)

What a prick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Why do locking wheel nuts exist.  Causing me absolute heartbreak today.  Whoever had the tyres fitted to my English bangernomics Citroen probably used an pneumatic gun and torqued them up right and proper.  Broke the Citroen wheel brace trying to get the rear wheels off.  Got a proper one today and some fool has ruined the locking wheelnuts, meaning I can't get the wheels off to change the brakes. Grrrrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Why do locking wheel nuts exist.  Causing me absolute heartbreak today.  Whoever had the tyres fitted to my English bangernomics Citroen probably used an pneumatic gun and torqued them up right and proper.  Broke the Citroen wheel brace trying to get the rear wheels off.  Got a proper one today and some fool has ruined the locking wheelnuts, meaning I can't get the wheels off to change the brakes. Grrrrrr.

There is only one way to solve this problem and it involves fire and lots of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Still 16.5 degrees C in kilkenny now some day hit 22 degrees C. Lovely to go out for a drive in.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Still 16.5 degrees C in kilkenny now some day hit 22 degrees C. Lovely to go out for a drive in.

Even nicer on a motorcycle....

Miss the bikes.

Really really need to get back.

Car does good also nice to finally have some decent weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I nearly launched the wheel brace into the neighbors garden.  It was too hot today to be doing that sort of thing and then the heat leads to frustration.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You think that's bad I cant get the fancy wheel caps off one of the classics. The front tyre is really low and I cant put air into it :mad:

Plyers on the rubber neck gently of course and unscrew then.

Have nearly torn the neck off the flipping thing

Is it a metal cover? Spray some wd40 if so.

If rubber cut off.

I was at dinner yesterday evening and one of the people there is interested in buying a Honda Civic, the first of the space age looking ones - which Wikipedia tells me is the FK1/2/3 type.

However, I told her to be careful because I remember distinctly reading about issues with rust on the roof on these cars. I think there is, or may be, a problem with the traction and stability control as well?

It's a 2008 car and to be fair it looks really lovely. I wouldn't want to warn someone off buying a car they like the look of (and I assume will give zero mechanical trouble whatsoever since it's a Honda) just because of a potential cosmetic issue.

Could someone briefly give me the low down on what problems these cars can suffer from and is the roof thing really something to be worried about please?

Thanks in advance:)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I was at dinner yesterday evening and one of the people there is interested in buying a Honda Civic, the first of the space age looking ones - which Wikipedia tells me is the FK1/2/3 type.

However, I told her to be careful because I remember distinctly reading about issues with rust on the roof on these cars. I think there is, or may be, a problem with the traction and stability control as well?

It's a 2008 car and to be fair it looks really lovely. I wouldn't want to warn someone off buying a car they like the look of (and I assume will give zero mechanical trouble whatsoever since it's a Honda) just because of a potential cosmetic issue.

Could someone briefly give me the low down on what problems these cars can suffer from and is the roof thing really something to be worried about please?

I think the non-glass roofs can suffer rust just as it hits the windscreen (correct me if I'm wrong Colm), but mine never showed signs of it. The traction and VSA errors would come from ABS sensors, normal enough but an easy fix. Otherwise, not much else to worry about. Engine was perfect for me, a few brake issues on one wheel but I suspect the previous owner had something to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

They are probably the safest bet compared to all of its competition tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Get a 1.8 I vtec(much nicer than the 1.4) with the glass roof which won't have roof rust issues. Rust can also develop on the edges of the door frames behind the seal but this is usually minimal and can easily be treated.

Other issues include the information display loosing illumination on the digits. This is caused by broken solder on the pins.(many have this problem) head units can also be troublesome but i'd be replacing that anyway as the original is rubbish.

They also suffer from leaky boots due to the seal on the split screen. The paint is also weak on them and they pick up stone chips along the front easily.

Another issue is the blind for the glass roof can stick which will be a pain to fix as the headliner has to be removed.

Shock absorbers and top mounts can also go but these are wearable parts so not unexpected.

All in all they are a very good car and if you find a clean example it should last many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

joujoujou wrote: »

Block the road and let a few animals at it... Or a class full of people participating in Weight Watchers :pac: Easiest clean up ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Willie Wonka will be pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks like he was at the sauce alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

"Difficulties associated with the need to remove chocolate from the roadway will take several hours." No fatalities, thankfully.

Thought that said "No Fatties" at first look, oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've had a vibration from the front left wheel on my Levin for the past two to three weeks so I investigated last week and found it to be a worn inner tie rod. So today parts came in the post. Inner tie rod and I said I will get the outer as well even though it is fine and a new boot even though the old is fine also. I will probably fit them at the weekend if the tool I ordered to do the inner tie rod arrives before then. Hopefully it does.

x1lirk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Looking on carzone for 2016 or 2017 F10 BMW's and out of 500 results, only 8 are petrol. Now this isn't for me, it's for my girlfriends dad. He wants something in that class that's petrol... slim pickings.

I'm surprised there are that many and I'd say they are the plug in hybrid versions.

Why not import one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looking on carzone for 2016 or 2017 F10 BMW's and out of 500 results, only 8 are petrol. Now this isn't for me, it's for my girlfriends dad. He wants something in that class that's petrol... slim pickings.

I was looking to upgrade my 6-pot petrol E60 for a petrol F10 two years ago. I watched the ads for a few months. There were none for sale in this country. Not a single one. And only a few in the UK, M5 and 550i. Both with the max tax and unknown (probably massive) VRT upon import

Looked for a while at other nice petrol saloons from other manufacturers, but there weren't really any around that would interest me

And there's no way I'd buy a 520d or any other diesel for that matter. So I bought a brand new EV instead! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

To be fair the number of petrols is starting to increase again. It'll be a while until we see them in any significant numbers and even then a good portion are going to be hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I had the CL in for it's 6th NCT in 17 months, passed finally! While I was waiting I got chatting to an elderly man who had his son's car in. He was already quite cross as he had forgotten his licence and had to go home for it. He reckoned that the car wouldn't pass. When it was on the rollers having the rear brakes tested, the car swung violently to the side when the brake was applied. I've never seen anything like it. The tester told him it was a dangerous fail and couldn't be driven away - cue shouting and roaring; You broke my f'n car, it was perfect when it came in. How am I supposed to get home, you must give me money for a taxi etc. He then proceeded to get into the car and drive away. Another woman then chimes in to say that she'd had an NCT and the alternator failed 2 days later. What do people think that an NCT is? My mechanic says that people think that it's like a service and no other work is needed.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    To be fair the number of petrols is starting to increase again. It'll be a while until we see them in any significant numbers and even then a good portion are going to be hybrid.

Problem is it's mostly smaller cars where the shift is happening. If you want something like a 5 series it's still pretty much diesel only, plus a small number of plug in hybrids (which to be fair make a lot of sense for many people).

This year almost 88.5% of 5 series sold are diesel, 8% are plug in hybrid, giving just 3.5% of sales to petrols (although on a more cheerful note, 9 brave souls bought one with a V8 engine).

Of the 1044 5 series sold this year, just 46 (4.4%) of them have six or more cylinders, although 12 of these 46 cars are petrol. Back in the good old days of the E39, every 5 series came with six cylinders as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Good thing we didn't get the E39 520d!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    I had the CL in for it's 6th NCT in 17 months, passed finally! While I was waiting I got chatting to an elderly man who had his son's car in. He was already quite cross as he had forgotten his licence and had to go home for it. He reckoned that the car wouldn't pass. When it was on the rollers having the rear brakes tested, the car swung violently to the side when the brake was applied. I've never seen anything like it. The tester told him it was a dangerous fail and couldn't be driven away - cue shouting and roaring; You broke my f'n car, it was perfect when it came in. How am I supposed to get home, you must give me money for a taxi etc. He then proceeded to get into the car and drive away. Another woman then chimes in to say that she'd had an NCT and the alternator failed 2 days later. What do people think that an NCT is? My mechanic says that people think that it's like a service and no other work is needed.

There are a good number of people out there who think the NCT causes the problems in their car.

'They were revving the sh1te out of it. Trying to make it fail!' - I always love hearing that one.

I hate going for the NCT even when I'm pretty sure it will pass but most people can see that the general stock of cars on the road has improved after it was introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Problem is it's mostly smaller cars where the shift is happening. If you want something like a 5 series it's still pretty much diesel only, plus a small number of plug in hybrids (which to be fair make a lot of sense for many people).

This year almost 88.5% of 5 series sold are diesel, 8% are plug in hybrid, giving just 3.5% of sales to petrols (although on a more cheerful note, 9 dealers registered one with a V8 engine).

Of the 1044 5 series sold this year, just 46 (4.4%) of them have six or more cylinders, although 12 of these 46 cars are petrol. Back in the good old days of the E39, every 5 series came with six cylinders as standard.

FYP :pac:

The problem with buying a new or relatively new petrol engined 5 Series or the likes in this country, is that you will loose your shirt on it from a resale point of view because there are probably a handful of people who might be interested in buying it after you. And not having a go at anyone but it's not really fair to talk about the lack of petrol models sold here when lets face it most of us would not be willing to buy them new here either because you know resale values drop like a stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

bazz26 wrote: »
    The problem with buying a new or relatively new petrol engined 5 Series or the likes in this country, is that you will loose your shirt on it from a resale point of view because there are probably a handful of people who might be interested in buying it after you. And not having a go at anyone but it's not really fair to talk about the lack of petrol models sold here when lets face it most of us would not be willing to buy them new here either because you know resale values drop like a stone.
    The best value of buying one would be to buy at 2-4 years old from the UK (as there's no choice here)
    I remember seeing a 2010 e60 550i on here not so long ago priced in the high 4 figures.

Like Unkles post above I've now bought an EV instead as there wasn't really anything interesting out there that floated my boat enough to make the figures work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I rang our BMW dealer yesterday as the mother's car is ready for a change. I have her convinced a AUC 330e is the way to go however they are hard got unless imported according to the dealer.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    The best value of buying one would be to buy at 2-4 years old from the UK (as there's no choice here)
    I remember seeing a 2010 e60 550i on here not so long ago priced in the high 4 figures.

Like Unkles post above I've now bought an EV instead as there wasn't really anything interesting out there that floated my boat enough to make the figures work.

That 550i has been passing between DD wheeler dealers for a while and the asking price seems to be climbing with each wheeler dealer.

And while an EV works out good for some folks they are not currently suitable for everyone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

To be fair I have had a few interesting conversations with the NCT guys over a few fails. Some of them have been a complete joke.

- The handbrake light on the dash wasn't red enough. This was on a old French classic car. The light worked perfectly and could be seen in bright sunlight. It was a slightly red/orange colour more red in my opinion.

- The numbers on the Jap import weren't exactly the correct dimensions. Tester got out a ruler and told me they didn't comply. I think they were less than 1mm out of spec apparently

- Battery box on a completely stock Audi wasnt good/secure enough. Despite the fact that it was exactly how it left the factory

- Visual fail on a CV joint that when I got fixed required the use of a ramp. When I pointed out it was a visual fail why did it need a ramp I was told to email a complaint.

- Tested nearly failed on a seat in my 2 seater. Apparently due to lack of movement. Wasnt anything to do with the fact he was a giant fat bloke. Moves fine with me in the seat and I aint small.

The Cl failed on a faulty headlight washer!

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    The Cl failed on a faulty headlight washer!

Just on that, is it a case of if one works and one is broken it’s a fail? If both don’t work do they bother?

If headlight washers are there, they both have to work. It's only if they're not there that they don't bother.

How can one be allowed back their keys to drive a dangerous defective vehicle from NCT.

I've seen card on the road that completely go sideways as they brake and a good few of these were taxis or vans.

• Advertisement

If headlight washers are there, they both have to work. It's only if they're not there that they don't bother.

Thanks - I'm not sure if they're broken or I just don't know how to use them :o

Thanks - I'm not sure if they're broken or I just don't know how to use them :o

They normally come on automatically after a number of uses of the windscreen washers. So every say 5 times you use the windscreen washer, the headlight ones will spray automatically. There's no separate button for them normally.

If they're not working, make sure the fuse for them is ok.

They normally come on automatically after a number of uses of the windscreen washers. So every say 5 times you use the windscreen washer, the headlight ones will spray automatically. There's no separate button for them normally.

If they're not working, make sure the fuse for them is ok.

The owners manual shows a button for them on the headlight control panel but its not there in the car. Will have a look at the fuses first and go from there!

The owners manual shows a button for them on the headlight control panel but its not there in the car. Will have a look at the fuses first and go from there!

Does the car actually have xenon headlights? If the car doesn't have xenon headlights then it probably doesn't have a headlight washer system. It may have the flush panels on the bumper where the washer pops up but on cars without xenon headlights those panels are just blanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

How can one be allowed back their keys to drive a dangerous defective vehicle from NCT.

I've seen card on the road that completely go sideways as they brake and a good few of these were taxis or vans.

They are obliged ring the gardai if they see you drive off after a failed dangerous (so I've been told). It's meant to be towed away as it's deemed a danger to others on the road (somewhere it says that on the sticker)

You'll see them shaking their heads at you if you attempt to drive off!

Sure isn't leaving hub caps on a fail dangerous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Nasty wrote: »

That's true. Used 330e from the UK coming off company lease look very good value for money. It's a pity these tax compliance cars don't have a slightly bigger battery. Still almost no 5-series or other slightly bigger premium petrols (or plug in hybrids) though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

unkel wrote: »
    That's true. Used 330e from the UK coming off company lease look very good value for money. It's a pity these tax compliance cars don't have a slightly bigger battery. Still almost no 5-series or other slightly bigger premium petrols (or plug in hybrids) though.
    I'm getting very tempted by one of these but I need to research them a bit more.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

bazz26 wrote: »
    Does the car actually have xenon headlights? If the car doesn't have xenon headlights then it probably doesn't have a headlight washer system. It may have the flush panels on the bumper where the washer pops up but on cars without xenon headlights those panels are just blanks.

Yeah it has halogens, I didn't realise they would be blanks! Thanks

MMmmmmmm, I dunno, have you really seen that multiple times?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement