Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

rafter21 wrote: »
    Hi guys, currently looking at two Audi A5's. They're both identical spec. Black edition etc. Both almost the same price too.

One is 14 reg with 66k miles
    The other is 15 reg with 84k miles

If you had to buy one, which would you go for? The lower miles or the newer reg?

Probably 15 reg if there's a service history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 parttimeadult

Hi guys, currently looking at two Audi A5's. They're both identical spec. Black edition etc. Both almost the same price too.

One is 14 reg with 66k miles
    The other is 15 reg with 84k miles

If you had to buy one, which would you go for? The lower miles or the newer reg?

The lower miles one. The one that seems to have gotten better care really. When is the clutch and all that craic due on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

My friend just got quoted €500 for a full set of brake discs & pads on an 07 Auris, seems high to me. (i usually do mine myself)

Would that be normal in the garages? You can buy the parts for sub 200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Isn't there guys over there that can carry out a rigorous enough inspection for you?
    Like the checks lads do here, only actually useful. Plus they're independent guys so so affiliation with garages or dealers usually.

• Advertisement

My friend just got quoted €500 for a full set of brake discs & pads on an 07 Auris, seems high to me. (i usually do mine myself)

Anyone??

Anyone??

Probably normal enough, depending on who's doing it.
    Main dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Doesn't sound terrible for pads and discs all round. Not the cheapest quote ever but not extortionate either, for a full retail job, invoice and VAT receipt etc. I'd say good quality brake pads and discs could easily come to €120-150 per axle pair, retail price in a bricks and mortar outlet and an hours labour per axle. I wouldn't be expecting much change from €500.

• Advertisement

Ah cheers both, fair enough - seemed high to me. Glad I'm an anorak who does his own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Friend of mine was quoted €540 for discs and pads all round on a Tiida there a few weeks ago from FastFit. He paid a fella €300 to do them in his garden in the end I think. I did the same job on my 07 Civic last week for the pricey sum of €116 and a days work. It was a total bollox of a job though so I can understand why it would be a labour intensive job in a garage.

Ah cheers both, fair enough - seemed high to me. Glad I'm an anorak who does his own!

I replied this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110510597&postcount=29

to someone enquiring about a €500 price on a Hyundai i30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ordered a new set of reg plates from eireplates and they arrived today but have no IRL symbol which I specified during the ordering process. They do look well but is this illegal? Haven't put them on yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Wailin wrote: »
    Ordered a new set of reg plates from eireplates and they arrived today but have no IRL symbol which I specified during the ordering process. They do look well but is this illegal? Haven't put them on yet.

Ask for another set to be sent out. If they ain't right, they ain't right. Its not like they can resell if you return either..

Already messaged them, awaiting their response.

Already messaged them, awaiting their response.

Best of luck. For what it is worth, they are seriously expensive. Most motor factors can get them for you for about €20 all in.

Damn, turns out I'm the muppet that never selected the IRL label.... Grrrr!

In fairness, they offered to send out stickers free of charge or a discount on a re-order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The shouldn’t be selling non compliant plates.

I don’t know where all these shows are that people do be buying show plates for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The shouldn’t be selling non compliant plates.
    Or at least have a warning and tick box before accepting the order.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Completely my fault for rushing the order, but I did mention to them that non compliant plates should have a warning or message before completing the purchase.

Anyway, shame really, they look so nice and uncluttered without the IRL label...

48128986488_c7839ec18a_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I've got a set of plates for a vivaro van in the shed here from eireplates...had them on the car before I realised too. Easily done.

Completely my fault for rushing the order, but I did mention to them that non compliant plates should have a warning or message before completing the purchase.

Anyway, shame really, they look so nice and uncluttered without the IRL label.
    Those plates would still be illegal with IRL on them...

ps Maybe mask some of your pic so you are not identifable from the reg.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Anyone??

I would not say that's it's too excessive..especially if it's Dealership pricing. €125.00 per wheel. Sure you can get parts for €200.00 or less, but with brakes or steering, I would prefer to go for genuine parts, and generally speaking, they tend to be more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Old diesel wrote: »
    Two weeks ago Corolla fails NCT.....

Not much on done deal.

Yesterday it PASSED.

Come on boards and first thing I see is an apparently immaculate Maxima in bangernomics thread.

How does that happen.....

And is it just me thats noticed how when you don't need a car the place (as in done deal, Carzone, car market in general) is full of nice potential cars.

But when you think you need one there is nothing there.

Especially when you want a cheapish thing.

Currently consoling myself with the following......

1) Maximas are crap really right?????*

2) I probably didnt have time to go to Dublin today anyway.

*studies some 2002 road test by someone judging it as a relatively expensive car that will lose money faster then David Drumm at 2008 Anglo Irish Bank

Generally, it applies to other aspects of Life too, and not just car's...get rid of something you have had for year's,,,,,and BINGO, 1 or 2 days after it's gone, you need it !!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Esel wrote: »
    Those plates would still be illegal with IRL on them...

ps Maybe mask some of your pic so you are not identifable from the reg.

how come ?

Carpentry wrote: »
    how come ?
    No EU stars

Spacing around the dashes wrong

Possible font size issue? (I'm on phone, pic not great...)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Esel wrote: »
    No EU stars

Spacing around the dashes wrong

Possible font size issue? (I'm on phone, pic not great...)

I guess IRL logo comes with stars and blue backround anyways.

Dashes and spaces between them ? I have no dashes at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'd kkv still around anyone know ?

Heard there was an accident recently on a motorway where a car parked in the hard shoulder, driver asleep on drivers seat was hit by a truck.

Car went up in flames too, driver killed, very sad accident and may the person rest in peace

But on hearing it the first thing I thought of was kkv and a while back him mentioning he had done just that before and didn't really see the danger ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyway, shame really, they look so nice and uncluttered without the IRL label...

48128986488_c7839ec18a_c.jpg

No harm. Bang of DL of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd kkv still around anyone know ?

Heard there was an accident recently on a motorway where a car parked in the hard shoulder, driver asleep on drivers seat was hit by a truck.

Car went up in flames too, driver killed, very sad accident and may the person rest in peace

But on hearing it the first thing I thought of was kkv and a while back him mentioning he had done just that before and didn't really see the danger ..

Is that what happened near Gorey on M11....

I see cars and trucks constantly drift into the hard shoulder not a place to be...

Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Had a peak at my trip computer today when I arrived at work, something I never really do.

IMG-20190626-094644-1.jpg

Pretty surprised/happy with that. I do miss the sound of a petrol but would be pretty hard to justify jumping back into any sort of petrol just for the sound of it.

Is that averaged or just on one trip? I had my heart set on a 330d estate when we return from the ME but a CLS shooting brake is on my mind now. MPG could swing it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Had a peak at my trip computer today when I arrived at work, something I never really do.

IMG-20190626-094644-1.jpg

Pretty surprised/happy with that. I do miss the sound of a petrol but would be pretty hard to justify jumping back into any sort of petrol just for the sound of it.

Guessing that’s eco pro mode and gentle driving.
    I found on a longer journey my 330d would do same as 20d mpg if you took it gently.
    Very hard to do with the huge torque on offer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's just the one trip, 55km. Bit of a mixture of driving, taking it handy mostly on national roads 80-100kph. Think the long term is low 40s, as I normally drive it a bit harder.

• Advertisement

The likes of Cork to Kinsale return (80kph limit, no hills etc) the Sorento returns 50mpg........ normal average is 37mpg....... 40% motorway, 25% 100kmph zone, 25% 80kph zones and the rest urban pootling :)

vintagevrs wrote: »
    That's just the one trip, 55km. Bit of a mixture of driving, taking it handy mostly on national roads 80-100kph. Think the long term is low 40s, as I normally drive it a bit harder.

Our 420d does about 60mpg in similar driving. The 116d could easily hit the 60s or even low 70s in eco pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

OSI wrote: »
    I just love that a single mediocre tyre on my family wagon costs more than a pair of high performance tyres did on my GTI. :rolleyes:

How ? Why ?

Long term between her 20d and my 30d are pretty much identical and her spin to works twice mine. Using the extra poke and traffic really kill the 30ds economy but compared to the 190 superb it replaced it's probably less than 10% more in fuel costs.

tossy wrote: »
    How ? Why ?
    Dimensions, most likely.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Dimensions, most likely.

I'm going to say main dealer pricing too.

255/45/19 seems to be a somewhat difficult to obtain size. Tried numerous retailers and all would have to order in, and all were quoting similar prices to main dealer.

Didn't realise they were 19's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

255/45/19 seems to be a somewhat difficult to obtain size. Tried numerous retailers and all would have to order in, and all were quoting similar prices to main dealer.

If you can drop to 245/45 they're much more readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Looking at a 2011 or 12 Mazda 6? Diesel, 2.2. 140hp (I think). Look to be a decent solid car. Any opinions please......

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Looking at a 2011 or 12 Mazda 6? Diesel, 2.2. 140hp (I think). Look to be a decent solid car. Any opinions please......

Move on, lovely cars but the engines reliability is questionable. Might be absolutely fine but I'd avoid, particularly if you're doing small miles or anything as this just makes the problem worse.

Google Mazda 6 oil dilution and you'll see.

I had an 11 reg one and had it happen even though the car was mainly doing 200+ km spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are grand if you like engines made of chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 parttimeadult

No idea tbh. I know **** all about cars. Would be going over to the UK on my own to purchase and would have to take the dealers word. Two different dealers a long way apart so I'd have to pick one before I leave and go with it.

These are the two cars:

The second one, the 2014 lower mileage one. Looks like the sharper car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Salesman ‘what car are you looking to trade in ?’
    Me ‘Audi A4 1.4tfsi S-line’
    Salesman ‘tfsi like as in petrol’
    Me ‘yes petrol engine’
    Salesman ‘you serious I didn’t realise you could even get the A4 with a petrol engine’

I can’t wait to see what trade in price he offers me on that :pac:

Actually forgot how time consuming searching for a new car. As much as I like cars I don’t enjoy the buying them bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Did anything come out of the offer on the other yoke a few days ago?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement