Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ELM327 wrote: »
    Incorrect, once the log book has been issued you can use the forgot password function

The above advice you have given MM is for brand new cars (or first taxation of an imported car) only and does not apply to second or subsequent owners

Nope - first taxation of a new car or newly imported car uses the last 6 digits of the chassis number. Subsequent taxing uses the last 6 digits of the VLC serial number. You wouldn't have the VLC serial number on a new car as it doesn't get issued until the vehicle is taxed.

Biggest issue with the forgotten PIN function is that you need to fill the address in, EXACTLY the same way as it was input in the change of ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

R.O.R wrote: »
    Nope - first taxation of a new car or newly imported car uses the last 6 digits of the chassis number. Subsequent taxing uses the last 6 digits of the VLC serial number. You wouldn't have the VLC serial number on a new car as it doesn't get issued until the vehicle is taxed.

Biggest issue with the forgotten PIN function is that you need to fill the address in, EXACTLY the same way as it was input in the change of ownership.
    Yes, I always do this when I buy a new (to me) car, have to remember exactly how I wrote address, in rural Ireland there's normally a few different ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dunno about the rest of you but I tend to write my address the same way every time! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Dunno about the rest of you but I tend to write my address the same way every time! :pac:

:D

I've heard of people who should write their address as Fingals but in certain scenarios would write it as Glasnevin :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

tossy wrote: »
    :D

I've heard of people who should write their address as Fingals but in certain scenarios would write it as Glasnevin :P

Glasnevin Heights used to be a good one for the old tower blocks in Ballymun :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    They really are not a very nice looking car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Glasnevin Heights used to be a good one for the old tower blocks in Ballymun :P

I've an Auntie that swears she's from Glasnevin North :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Cant sell car. It's a 12 year old Saab. Running well, needs a few small jobs. Dont want to scrap it. Any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Cant sell car. It's a 12 year old Saab. Running well, needs a few small jobs. Dont want to scrap it. Any tips?

Lower your asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The arse has fallen out of the market for most cars around 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Lower your asking price.

I did. Not a sniff of an inquiry or a call.

Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Could someone tell me is monplate still open in Carrigtwohill?
    Have vrt tomorrow afternoon and want reg plate before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

I did. Not a sniff of an inquiry or a call.

Put up a link for it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

I’m looking to pick up a cheap runabout in the next short while,
    But I have forgotten how/where to check details of the cars I’m looking at. I use the ncts website to check the Nct, and the motortax website to check for change of ownership, but I’m fairly sure there was another way of checking car details for free, going through the motions of placing an ad somewhere rings a bell.
    Can anyone remind me?
    I’m operating well and truly in the bangernomics area and won’t be worth paying for a check.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Cornmarket insurance (online quote with the reg number) will tell you when exactly it was last purchased.

Adverts.ie will tell you when the tax expired if you place an ad and put in the reg number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Cornmarket insurance (online quote with the reg number) will tell you when exactly it was last purchased.

Adverts.ie will tell you when the tax expired if you place an ad and put in the reg number

That’s the one!
    Thanks Duke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The e46 is starting to give trouble again. It started with lean codes, no other symptoms that I could tell. My thought was a bad rocker cover, it is definitely at least somewhat bad as it leaks oil so I presumed it was allowing air in. Now I'm getting intermittent hesitation when accelerating. Floor it, it revs to 2k and doesn't want to go higher. Once the engine warms it's feels okay, maybe down on power. Now I suspect a bad fuel pump... sigh. Almost not sure what to do, cars days are numbered but don't have a replacement yet. Parts probably will come to 80->100 quid if I cheap out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

@Osi, did you get your alloys sorted after by the Volkswagen garage?
    Would be interested to hear how you got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I like it, but even UK reviewers bitching about price tag, so I can only imagine the price of that thing...

Is that the one on donedeal that only saab enthusiasts will appreciate ?

If it is, remove the tripe from the ad and it will sell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

poa is never a good sign, must be something astronomical

Is that the one on donedeal that only saab enthusiasts will appreciate ?

If it is, remove the tripe from the ad and it will sell :D

The 2001 Saab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The 2001 Saab?

If it is, someones maths is seriously off...

The 2001 Saab?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-enthusiasts-will-only-understand/22216900

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I cannot read today, didnt see 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-enthusiasts-will-only-understand/22216900

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I cannot read today, didnt see 12

I can't decide if Mary is taking the piss or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Estate wouldn't be one for enthusiastic buyer as saloon or hatch would be suited much better.....

Wow that's a long long essay on the car.

ba_barabus wrote: »

She must be
    "Car is driving perfect and serviced regularly it is using a 1L of oil approx every 400 miles. The engine light is on and has been for the last year its only a sensor and not a problem ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ba_barabus wrote: »

I'm think "Mary" , likes her car a lot.... :Rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

"I have had the opportunity to buy a car which I have desired for some time now and decided it is time for a change."

But will take a swap.... :)

I'm think "Mary" , likes her car a lot.... :Rolleyes:
    I think she like car a lot ok for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Bit of advice here pls...

Months ago I discovered a bad bulge in both a front and rear tyre, probably caused by the same pot hole. This was on the tyres that came on the car which were premium RFTs and I was a bit pissed as plenty of meat left on them. Went to tyre place, and they didn't have anything premium in stock so I stuck on a budget brand on each corner. I went back to the place about a month ago as their was a vibration (later turned out to be a pair of bushings, which the tyre place identified for me) in the car and wanted the 4 wheels balanced. When they had the wheels off the tyre guy noticed a defect with both rear tyres so he agreed they would replace them. I didn't want to go cheap again so asked for the best tyre they could get and he ordered in a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. In fairness to the place, they identified the worn bushings, identified an unusual fault in the tyres that I think many would places would miss and agreed to replace them. They fitted the new pilot sport 4s a couple of weeks ago and when they fitted them I said, I'd like the fronts replaced too, even if they are not showing a fault now I'm not confident they won't develop one. They said leave it with them, and after two weeks agreed to replace them. So again I got Michelins fitted to the front today and all good. Also, the old fronts were now showing the fault the rears had so just as well I did this.

Anyway, I get home and noticed they fitted Michelin Super Sports, and not Michelin Sport 4s.........

So a bit of googling tells me the ones I have on the rear (4s) replaced the supersports in 2017. I just checked the dates and the fronts were made in 16, and the rears in 17.

Should I go back and ask all 4 to be the same? I know the answer is probably yes, but this place has looked after me well so far and maybe I am being over fussy. Also is a 3 year old tyre "normal" for a "new" tyre? Seems a long time to be lying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you were told that you were getting Michelin Sport 4's front and rear I'd definitely be going back to them as that's what was agreed.

I wouldn't be too fond of 3 year old "new" tyres on my car either so I agree with you there.

If you were told that you were getting Michelin Sport 4's front and rear I'd definitely be going back to them as that's what was agreed.

I wouldn't be too fond of 3 year old "new" tyres on my car either so I agree with you there.

When I was getting tyres in the garage I was told up front that they can get me new 3 year old tyres at discount. I decided not to and got same tyres fresh.
    So clearly garage had a good one on OP. Got tyres at discount and pushed them as more expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ah I called round and he said that's what they got in just. I never specifically asked or agreed for one model or another, just best Michelin which they are. Tbh if rather they all matched as the newer ps4s have a nice side wall but then I figured they're just tyres and I've enough going on at the minute to care now. One of those things just...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The e46 is starting to give trouble again. It started with lean codes, no other symptoms that I could tell. My thought was a bad rocker cover, it is definitely at least somewhat bad as it leaks oil so I presumed it was allowing air in. Now I'm getting intermittent hesitation when accelerating. Floor it, it revs to 2k and doesn't want to go higher. Once the engine warms it's feels okay, maybe down on power. Now I suspect a bad fuel pump... sigh. Almost not sure what to do, cars days are numbered but don't have a replacement yet. Parts probably will come to 80->100 quid if I cheap out.

If it's any consolation, you're not the only one whose E46 is giving trouble :pac:!

If the fuel pump is starting to go the symptoms usually are that will get progressively get louder and eventually it won't start if you go below 1/4 tank.

Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

Mind you, surely if it was a fuelling issue it wouldn't change when the car warmed up? Speaking from experience, when the fuel filter starts getting blocked you'll see the mpg needle not moving as far over in fifth under load (mine refused to do less than 16 mpg when I floored it in fifth instead of going all the way to the right) and it will be down on power.

Is the MAF genuine BMW or Siemens VDO? It could be a MAF fault although it seems a bit far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Ah I called round and he said that's what they got in just. I never specifically asked or agreed for one model or another, just best Michelin which they are. Tbh if rather they all matched as the newer ps4s have a nice side wall but then I figured they're just tyres and I've enough going on at the minute to care now. One of those things just...

As long as you have the same tyres on each axle it won't make a difference. My OCD wouldn't allow different tyres front and back though :pac:

Drove the Leon FR 150 TDI today. A bit underwhelming power wise.
    Other than that it was all good. A bit noisier than a Golf but still quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Drove the Leon FR 150 TDI today. A bit underwhelming power wise.
    Other than that it was all good. A bit noisier than a Golf but still quite good.

Yes my parents still have their 152 Leon FR 150 bhp and even comparing it to the 1.6tdi Mk7 Golf they had you would notice it is a bit louder. I drive it every so often and I can't say I ever particularly liked it. But to be fair I took it to Dublin a few months ago and it is impressively good on fuel on a long trip considering it has some bit of power.

I don't think they are as cheap now but back around 15/16 the Leons were great value for money compared to the likes of a similarly specced golf.

If I’m going with a Leon it’ll need to be the 184PS, and the estate - the specs are so strange on them, this one had the more basic infotainment but had stuff like headlamp washers and self dimming mirror and LED headlights.

If I’m going uk spec, there are a few option packs it’ll need to have. It’s a bloody minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

If I’m going with a Leon it’ll need to be the 184PS, and the estate - the specs are so strange on them, this one had the more basic infotainment but had stuff like headlamp washers and self dimming mirror and LED headlights.

If I’m going uk spec, there are a few option packs it’ll need to have. It’s a bloody minefield.

Yes only the 184 had independent rear suspension 150 didn't so that's good to have. With the Infotainment was it just after a certain year the FR got the bigger screen for infotainment I thought all 2016 onwards had it well Irish ones anyway not sure on the English spec.

I thought you were going to get an Accord next.

Nah I was never gonna get an Accord (as far as I know!)
    I was in about a V60 for a while but I don’t think they’re nimble enough.
    I’m not really into having a big car, I prefer something I can chuck around a bit.

I think the FR got a big flat type screen at some stage but the older ones were a choice of 6” (same as basic golf) and the 6.8” with gesture control and 3D maps.

Oh yeah no nav on the Irish one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Leon got a facelift in mid 2017. Best way to know the facelift is that it gained an electric parking brake instead of the old leaver.

What about an Octavia vRS? Too big?

Nah, the VRS is the right size too. They just don’t really appeal to me as much as the Leon for some reason.
    Mondeo/Passat/A4 size stuff is just bloated and no fun IMO.

3 series would actually be a great choice but I’m not prepared to maintain one correctly or buy an older car to stay in budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Too slow. 2.2 might do though.
    Also not comfortable enough and I think that model was a step back from the older ones in a lot of ways.

I’ve gone through pretty much every car in my head but it’s good to get fresh suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I’m not really into having a big car, I prefer something I can chuck around a bit.

I think the FR got a big flat type screen at some stage but the older ones were a choice of 6” (same as basic golf) and the 6.8” with gesture control and 3D maps.

There was three screens in them - the basic 5 inch one, the 5.8 that was replaced by a 6.5 that was standard in the Irish FRs which was also available with nav and later facelift ones could be had with an 8 incb screen.

English ones didn't come as standard with LED headlights or 18s. Early ones with LEDs had washer cut outs but after the first few months they disappeared. 14 on ones with them should have the winter pack with heated seats.

A 184 is the one to get, dsg suits it extremely well. I dunno what your driving is like but the 14 one I had would consistently get high 50s to tank Waterford to Cork daily on N roads. The VRS with the same engine (post diesel gate) never managed anything close to that.

If you're importing a 184 dsg with the tech pack, 18s and winter pack would be a nice bus.

184hp one definitely has some poke in it. I really liked that Leon I got as a loaner from my dealer, but Diesel engine just killed it for me. It's not really a cars fault, it's just me.
    What year you going to be looking for? I am not sure what year Android auto went in to these, but if you have it, then Sat nav stuff becomes redundant. Google maps are best and always up to date.
    In my opinion Leon estate FR still one of the best looking estates out there. Well, Cupra estates look a bit better. :D

Probably aiming for a 2015. I saw some advertised in the uk with full link which apparently is android auto and CarPlay.

I like the idea of having the panoramic roof. I’d miss that from the Civic. There’s also a convenience pack that has auto lights and wipers, again I’d miss that.
    Not pushed about the 18s but definitely has to have the tech pack and maybe the Seat Sound speakers. Winter pack would be nice but not that pushed if it doesn’t have it.

Finding a 184 ST with all that in a colour I like without blowing the tentative budget is the problem though :)

Time will tell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement