Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MOD: Last few posts deleted. Any more of that craic and there will be bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Send that on to Garda Traffic Watch. This person fool needs to be removed from our roads asap.

Plate looks like 06 CE 770

So I rang traffic watch and they found it kinda amusing that I tried to report this to them. I was asked to bring the video to a local Garda station. My local Garda station doesn't have work friendly opening hours these days. So I'll see what I can do next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So I rang traffic watch and they found it kinda amusing that I tried to report this to them. I was asked to bring the video to a local Garda station. My local Garda station doesn't have work friendly opening hours these days. So I'll see what I can do next week.

They were wrong so... I've never had such an issue.

Ring them again, report dangerous driving give all details and they get a gaurd to come to you or if you can arrange a time to meet at a station....

I'd guess it will be rathfarnham or most likely Dundrum as it was in that area.

That's quite strange how they dealt with it.
    They aren't Gaurds that take the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

My car has long service intervals (about 20k miles) so I have been doing ones in between at 10k.

Car is due one now. I spotted half price oil in halfords today, 4L for 20 euro instead of 40 euro for Castrol Magnatec 5W30 which is full synthetic and meets the LL04 spec for my engine.

On the shelf above was 4L of Castrol edge, fully synthetic LL04 for €60.

Does anyone know the difference in the two? I usually use Liqui Moly, but thought at 20 quid for 4L and meets the spec this Magnatec stuff might be ok? Any thoughts or does it even matter.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

vintagevrs wrote: »
    My car has long service intervals (about 20k miles) so I have been doing ones in between at 10k.

Car is due one now. I spotted half price oil in halfords today, 4L for 20 euro instead of 40 euro for Castrol Magnatec 5W30 which is full synthetic and meets the LL04 spec for my engine.

On the shelf above was 4L of Castrol edge, fully synthetic LL04 for €60.

Does anyone know the difference in the two? I usually use Liqui Moly, but thought at 20 quid for 4L and meets the spec this Magnatec stuff might be ok? Any thoughts or does it even matter.

Cheers

Edge is just a higher spec oil overall compared to Magnatec. So in your case both meet the BMW spec but in general for newer cars you would need Edge. For example Magnatec meets VW 502 / 505 spec whereas Edge meets VW504 / 507. For the last few cars I have owned it would be Edge that would meet the required Spec, Magnatec wouldn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I was always told not to use Castrol because it's supposed to be rubbish these days, people still buy it based on past glories if that makes sense.

I know there was a time when it was the oil BMW recommended but those days are gone a while.

If I've ever needed to top up the oil in mine, I've always used Petronas 5W40 and was always happy with it.

Mine got an oil service recently and the garage put 5W40 Liqui Moly into it, only 800 miles clocked up since the service so far, so very early days, but it seems to be working an absolute treat in it, different engines of course but if you were happy with it before then I'd stick with it.

Maybe a silly question, and not worthy of its own thread, but is there such a thing as having someone call to your house to do a diagnostic, or calling to someone to get a quick diagnostic done?

Basically I need to replace an abs sensor and I don't know which one. It's a pain in the ass having to drop it to a garage first for a diagnostic and then to go back when they have the past. Plus charge for diagnostics are ridiculous (I should have bought one from China !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Could anyone recommend a small car 1.4 abouts for mostly short spins for a lady in her late 50's.
    Milage about 15k Kms a year.
    Budget about 4k I think.

Yeah it's still Castrol on the oil filler cap so still oem choice.

I'd prefer Liqui Moly but no stock locally. Might just order online and can leave the Magnatec back if needed. Just lifted it whilst it was half price.

It meets the standard for the engine, so it's prob 110 but just placebo telling me put fancier stuff in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

blade1 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a small car 1.4 abouts for mostly short spins for a lady in her late 50's.
    Milage about 15k Kms.
    Budget about 4k I think.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-clio-music-2010-1-1-nct-11-2021-tax-01-20/23670900

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thanks Colm.
    Anything to look out for in those?
    Weak spots or such?

Make sure everything works, do your history check, and make sure it’s been maintained. Regardless of the low mileage, it should have had a new timing belt at this stage.

Ok, ownership on the Clio changed in late November 2019, which mightn’t be a good thing..

I’d still have a look at it though.

Make sure everything works, do your history check, and make sure it’s been maintained. Regardless of the low mileage, it should have had a new timing belt at this stage.

Ok,she's coming from a 90's corolla estate which she's had donkeys years.
    It's been trouble free while she's had it but emissions is becoming a problem I believe.

Tbh there are tonnes of options out there, I like that Clio because it looks like new and is low mileage.

• Advertisement

Tbh there are tonnes of options out there, I like that Clio because it looks like new and is low mileage.

I wouldn't be too well up on what's good and bad in that type of range.

I wouldn't be too well up on what's good and bad in that type of range.

Another Toyota?
    Megane or Clio,
    Skoda fabia or Octavia

Another Toyota?
    Megane or Clio,
    Skoda fabia or Octavia
    Thanks.
    Any engines that stick out in particular or avoid even in those?

I’d avoid the Fabia to be honest, the petrol engines aren’t very robust.
    Megane will be pretty much all diesel

Nissan Note would be worth a look too, as would Hyundai ix20 and Kia Venga

I’d avoid the Fabia to be honest, the petrol engines aren’t very robust.
    Megane will be pretty much all diesel

Nissan Note would be worth a look too, as would Hyundai ix20 and Kia Venga

What about 09 1.4 focus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I was always told not to use Castrol because it's supposed to be rubbish these days, people still buy it based on past glories if that makes sense.

I know there was a time when it was the oil BMW recommended but those days are gone a while.

If I've ever needed to top up the oil in mine, I've always used Petronas 5W40 and was always happy with it.

Mine got an oil service recently and the garage put 5W40 Liqui Moly into it, only 800 miles clocked up since the service so far, so very early days, but it seems to be working an absolute treat in it, different engines of course but if you were happy with it before then I'd stick with it.
    I've had a few mechanics give out about Magnatec and the ****e it gunks up your engine with, so I just tend to avoid Castrol these days.
    Plenty of other options out there anyway that work just fine.

What about 09 1.4 focus?

I personally wouldn’t. They’re €570 tax and a dog to drive.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I've had a few mechanics give out about Magnatec and the ****e it gunks up your engine with, so I just tend to avoid Castrol these days.
    Plenty of other options out there anyway that work just fine.

I thought
    edge is proper synthetic and magnatec is hydrocracked mineral oil which they’re calling synthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought
    edge is proper synthetic and magnatec is hydrocracked mineral oil which they’re calling synthetic.
    Could be the case, I haven't used Edge since the Magnatec warning

Reading on a BM forum about oil and looks like Magnatec is what a lot of dealers use as posters have asked their local service departments and Magnatec was the answer given. Probably just the cheapest LL04 stuff they can get.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Could be the case, I haven't used Edge since the Magnatec warning

I used Magnatec last time on the Civic because it was stupid cheap.

I used Magnatec last time on the Civic because it was stupid cheap.

Yeah but you could put cooking oil in a Honda and probably not kill it.

The VTEC is indestructible....

I thought there would be a 2020 car plans thread by now.

I love guessing it wrong every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

CIP4 wrote: »
    I thought there would be a 2020 car plans thread by now.

I love guessing it wrong every year.

NYE party was way too long this time, sorry I'm late. :o

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058042622

You're welcome. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I passed my NCT retest this evening. Pretty late slot, 9.30 pm. Disconnecting the front fog lights worked and when I left the centre I puled into a garden centre car park next to it and connected the fog lights back up so the fog lights stay on all the time when the lights are on.

Don't know if I can plug the blue LED bulbs back in as parking lights as the plastic part came off when I was unplugging them. I could order new ones but I'm still undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I passed my NCT retest this evening. Pretty late slot, 9.30 pm. Disconnecting the front fog lights worked and when I left the centre I puled into a garden centre car park next to it and connected the fog lights back up so the fog lights stay on all the time when the lights are on.

Don't know if I can plug the blue LED bulbs back in as parking lights as the plastic part came off when I was unplugging them. I could order new ones but I'm still undecided.

so you are one of them ... :mad:

Seriously wtf.... You were already told and asked...

Only absolute numpties drive with fog lights on when there ain't any FOG

Please leave them off unless it's actually foggy or bad visibility, they're very annoying for cars coming towards you. Like driving towards someone with unfocused headlights.

Oh by the way you look far from cool same goes for them with purple, blue, pink lights.... Ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Hook, line and sinker lads :D

Wailin wrote: »
    Hook, line and sinker lads :D

Watching die hard over the Christmas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all! So I moved closer to work and after my 5 minute commute yesterday morning, I noticed that the civic didn’t warm up fully! (I wasn’t expecting it to fully warm up in that time anyway) I know that this sorta thing is a big no-no with a diesel car. Will it be ok for a petrol?

Be grand.

Congrats on the move. Maybe get a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Be grand.

Congrats on the move. Maybe get a bike

Perfect cheers!

Thank you! It’s far from luxurious! But It’s grand for 70 euro a week. A bike is a great idea, I never actually thought of that! I might actually get one on the cycle to work scheme.

What does a reg plate with white/silver font on a metal background signify ? Was behind an i30 estate with these kind of plates yesterday. Same year, county initials and number format but nothing else on it.

What does a reg plate with white/silver font on a metal background signify ? Was behind an i30 estate with these kind of plates yesterday. Same year, county initials and number format but nothing else on it.

They just made them up cause they think they're cool??

If it were the black/silver they'd still be illegal.

Army use to use up till around 2009 which hated it when they stopped really loved the look of them.

They just made them up cause they think they're cool??

If it were the black/silver they'd still be illegal.

Army use to use up till around 2009 which hated it when they stopped really loved the look of them.

Hardly these were pressed metal plates with a Matt finish on a completely standard i30 I wouldn’t call them cool. I thought it might of been the army or something like that.

• Advertisement

Hardly these were pressed metal plates with a Matt finish on a completely standard i30 I wouldn’t call them cool. I thought it might of been the army or something like that.

Army use standard plates now with IRL logo and stars.

Previous was the black/silver you could have pre 1988 or was it 89 can't think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Looking to purchase a new trolley jack lads and recommendations to what ye have
    I typically go with halfords advanced gear quite like this one below
    https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Anything to be wary of with the 1.6 diesel engine in later mk4 Mondeos? I know the 1.8 and 2 litres are pretty well proven but don't know much about the 1.6. Car in question is a 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Ridiculous having a 1.6 engine in a car that size

Ridiculous having a 1.6 engine in a car that size
    Not as ridiculous as a 1.0 in an Octavia

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement