Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Honda fit hybrids are handy-ish come by.
    Apparently insurance isn't too bad on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Honda fit hybrids are handy-ish come by.
    Apparently insurance isn't too bad on them.

Step into my office ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I personally use motorcheck.ie and have found it very good so far. Iv also found with two cars Iv bought that were UK imports, you can contact motorcheck and sometimes they have a bit of extra information on the car

Thanks.
    I used motorcheck.ie afterwards, turns out the car was a cat C up north and off the grid for two years.
    The parents are gutted but are better off because of it.
    It can stay under the trees for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I looked but Honda's seem a bit mad money here in Ireland

What are you looking to spend (if you don’t mind me asking)? I sell these (Fits). Have a few Jap imports currently that you’re welcome to look at. Send me a pm if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Driving from Limerick to Galway Monday evening, I'm pretty sure there was a GoSafe van on the M18.

Am I right in thinking only Gardai can do speedchecks on motorways? I'm never seen a GoSafe van doing checks on a motorway before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

eljono wrote: »
    Driving from Limerick to Galway Monday evening, I'm pretty sure there was a GoSafe van on the M18.

Am I right in thinking only Gardai can do speedchecks on motorways? I'm never seen a GoSafe van doing checks on a motorway before.

I wouldn't put it past them. In my local area they only park in sections where you would be speeding as in a straight stretch while you were driving slower in all the twists and turns but decided to speed up for the straight stretch that in some places may even have a hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Saw one on the M9 also at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They go wherever they're told by Gardai.

Yes they've been on motorway for years.

Tend to be on bends or hiding though as that's how they really catch peeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Balls, more chance of getting done for being a couple of kms over the limit by GoSafe than by the Guards I reckon. At least with the Guards there's often common sense and discretion used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

One good motoring policy if FF were to get in (I feel dirty for saying that because I never have and I never will vote for them, but credit where it's due):

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ff-will-not-progress-new-speeding-bill-if-in-government-after-election-1.4145225

Lord Ross has got to be the most useless Minister of Transport ever, and that's saying something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

One good motoring policy if FF were to get in (I feel dirty for saying that because I never have and I never will vote for them, but credit where it's due):

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ff-will-not-progress-new-speeding-bill-if-in-government-after-election-1.4145225

Lord Ross has got to be the most useless Minister of Transport ever, and that's saying something!

It says that they won't be using it as a starting point for any changes to the regime. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with their own ideas for a new regime which wouldn't be too dissimilar to Ross's.

I never believe a word they say until something they have promised is followed through on...which is rare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi Folks,

Can someone remind me who are the insurance crowd up north that insure 'classics'?

About to get a Tesla, and would like to keep the old 3 series as a 2nd 'classic' car (with limited mileage etc...)

How far back will they consider a BMW a classic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Hi Folks,

Can someone remind me who are the insurance crowd up north that insure 'classics'?

About to get a Tesla, and would like to keep the old 3 series as a 2nd 'classic' car (with limited mileage etc...)

How far back will they consider a BMW a classic?

Autoline up north insure classics. The car has to be 20 years or older, but they may consider 15 years and older on a case by case basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Autoline up north insure classics. The car has to be 20 years or older, but they may consider 15 years and older on a case by case basis.

Ah, that might be that plan out the window then, car is September 2006 so won't be 15 until Sept 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Don’t know if this is correct but I think not.
    I was told that the basis of assessment of motor tax for private car CO2 is changing to the new wltp levels in April and consequently car tax will increase for most as values are higher.
    I can’t see this online anywhere.
    Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not retrospectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My IS300 is in for a service today and was told there's a recall on them as well.
    Apparently rear wheel arches may or may not have been sealed properly.
    Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Don’t know if this is correct but I think not.
    I was told that the basis of assessment of motor tax for private car CO2 is changing to the new wltp levels in April and consequently car tax will increase for most as values are higher.
    I can’t see this online anywhere.
    Anyone know?

It will be for new cars. The CO2 has already 'increased' on many cars when they brought in Phase 1 of the tests (all new cars are already tested under WLTP but then the CO2 ratings converted back to NEDC, so we've got a hybrid WLTP/NEDC system at present). When Phase 2 comes in the test and the results will be the WLTP values. Existing cars will be rated as they currently are. Big changes ahead once we get to full WLTP, Mercedes are reportedly restricting the sales of 75% of their AMG range for example, and the VW Group will be discontinuing the 2.0 TSI engine in their various mid size SUVs because the CO2 is too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Balls, more chance of getting done for being a couple of kms over the limit by GoSafe than by the Guards I reckon. At least with the Guards there's often common sense and discretion used.
    I have heard from several people that the GoSafe speeding tickets are sent to the Guards and that there is a huge proportion of tickets that are not processed, due to lack of manpower in the guards.
    I have 1st hand experience of this (getting flashed at night) and nothing in the post thereafter. This was a few years ago mind you so I'm not sure if the GoSafe vans were in operation at the time or not.
    I also was caught red handed in the North just over 1 year ago and nothing in the post either. I wasn't expecting one from them though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Gosafes flash regardless of speed, easy to notice watching dashcam footage. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've a feeling Autoline aren't taking new business. I called last May to renew and they thought I wanted a new policy and refused before even hearing me out. A renewal wasn't an issue after I clarified but new policies were a no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Probably getting inundated with young lads looking to insure Civics etc.
    Hopefully they will still offer new policies, I finally found a decent enough donor to re-shell my DC2 and it'd be nice to be able to insure it once I have it back running again.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Probably getting inundated with young lads looking to insure Civics etc.
    Hopefully they will still offer new policies, I finally found a decent enough donor to re-shell my DC2 and it'd be nice to be able to insure it once I have it back running again.

Jap stuff is notoriously hard to insure even with Autoline. I reckon the fact I have an E36 which is popular with drift heads was part of the reason I was denied initially, she just didn't realise I had an existing policy.

Surely other companies are taking on e36's though considering they're all over 20 now.

Shur First Ireland were insuring e46's 2 or 3 years ago.

Surely other companies are taking on e36's though considering they're all over 20 now.

Shur First Ireland were insuring e46's 2 or 3 years ago.

Yup, and they took me on in 2017 with no issue. 2019 they weren't. I got quotes with Campions and someone else but Autoline were way cheaper and allowed to switch to an offroad policy as I only drive it 3 months a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Jap stuff is notoriously hard to insure even with Autoline. I reckon the fact I have an E36 which is popular with drift heads was part of the reason I was denied initially, she just didn't realise I had an existing policy.
    Thankfully the shell it's going into is a UK model, so that might work in my favour, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

My brain stopped for a few moments when I saw this face to face. I thought she should be one of them funny Micras. Nope, it's the Toyota Will Cypha (allegedly some Yaris derivative.)

70009010533017090600200.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

padyjoe wrote: »
    Will Cypha

Sounds like a rapper.

I've a feeling Autoline aren't taking new business. I called last May to renew and they thought I wanted a new policy and refused before even hearing me out. A renewal wasn't an issue after I clarified but new policies were a no go.

They are still taking on new business, but you now have to be 30 years old to insure almost any Jap car.

Existing policies aren't an issue if you are under 30, as long as you don't let it lapse and keep renewing it every year.

They are still taking on new business, but you now have to be 30 years old to insure almost any Jap car.

Existing policies aren't an issue if you are under 30, as long as you don't let it lapse and keep renewing it every year.

I see. I took out my policy at 29 and 11/12ths! The car was a 30th birthday present to myself. Looking forward to my 40th to keep the theme going!

• Advertisement

Is that any jap import or any Japanese marque regardless of where it was first reg'd?

Its been 30 for jap imports for a while now.

Is that any jap import or any Japanese marque regardless of where it was first reg'd?

Its been 30 for jap imports for a while now.

I believe it's only the usual jap imports - Silvias, Skylines, WRX, Civics, Integras etc. That said I haven't tried to insure a non-performance Japanese import or just an original Irish registered Jap car so I don't know.

They seems to change the rules every so often and I don't know what the reason is.

2017 - had to be 30 to get classic insurance on my 180sx
    2018/2019 - few people I know under 30 got classic policies on Skylines, 180sx, MX-5 etc.
    Late 2019 - They've put it back to 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

Tempted by a couple of 2000 Audi tts for sale at the moment. Theyre both 1.8t Quattros. Anyone know much about them reliability wise? Any common issues to be aware of when checking them out? Thanks

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Tempted by a couple of 2000 Audi tts for sale at the moment. Theyre both 1.8t Quattros. Anyone know much about them reliability wise? Any common issues to be aware of when checking them out? Thanks

Haldex service (the clutch that controls the 4wd system) needs oil every 20k and a filter every other oil change. If there's no evidence of this i'd walkaway or any knocking clunking from the rear especially when coasting after coming off throttle.

the 225 versions suffer a few more problems that can be hard on the pocket - basically the fuel pumps fail and cause them to run lean, this can lead to the exhaust manifold and or turbo housing cracking, listen for a ticking/puffing noise under acceleration., if there is then forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

tossy wrote: »
    Haldex service (the clutch that controls the 4wd system) needs oil every 20k and a filter every other oil change. If there's no evidence of this i'd walkaway or any knocking clunking from the rear especially when coasting after coming off throttle.

the 225 versions suffer a few more problems that can be hard on the pocket - basically the fuel pumps fail and cause them to run lean, this can lead to the exhaust manifold and or turbo housing cracking, listen for a ticking/puffing noise under acceleration., if there is then forget about it.

Thanks for that. I had heard of the haldex service but not of the issues with the fuel pumps so great to know! Id be looking for a 225 as not not sure why id get the 180 (unless someone could tell me otherwise!).

Id be getting it as a weekend car so wouldnt be racking up the miles. This is the one Im quite interested in, in case anyone knows it: https://www.adverts.ie/car/audi/tt/2000-audi-tt-quattro/19545116

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Thinking of shifting the diesel for an interesting petrol again, just for a change and trying to make the numbers work. The B58 engine BMW has in their current line up seems to get great reviews, makes the right noises and plenty of power. Cheapest way into one of these is probably in a 140i or 240i so I started to look at 240s. I thought firstly I would need a rough idea of what the VRT would be but couldn't find the 240i on there so stupidly continued. Found some nice 2018 examples, in UK for less than 20k stg. Figured ok then, maybe sell my own privately again and this might be an option thinking VRT might be about 7k(no idea where I got that figure from, obviously pulled it out of my arse)

Went to VRT site again to see could I find another model that could be close to what I was looking for and copped they do have the 240i there, but gave it the full m240i title so it was way down the list. Filled out the details.....and......revenue want €13,700 for a registration document.

There are cars for sale for in the UK that can be bought for €23k (£19.5), but here they have an open market price of €46k according to revenue. They then want 30% of that for a reg.

That's the end of that then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And if some of the fruit loops looking to get elected get their way it will probably be even more. Cannot have nice cars in the country unless you pay through your teeth for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't forget the Nox tax on top, obviously not so eye watering on petrol but still something to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Max Nox charge for petrol cars is €600 afaik.

There is a 162 M140i for sale on carsireland.ie for 30k. Mileage is a bit on the high side for year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

86k miles. Someone definitely had an exciting time. Don't think I've done half that since I start driving 7 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

16 HP and below.

82537626_2943676062329371_6752887486483005440_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=ZfypQCpkJAcAX-9zO3z&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=6f2426baad43f85e786dd33c8c459cd1&oe=5ED6A5DF

For anyone going for a main dealer service this is what €520 gets you.

They went with 0W20 this time.
    Last time it was 5W35.

Think I'll be doing my own from now on but I'd like to still get the hybrid check so hopefully I can get someone to do that on its own.

IMG-20200125-133234-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

blade1 wrote: »
    For anyone going for a main dealer service this is what €520 gets you.

They went with 0W20 this time.
    Last time it was 5W35.

Think I'll be doing my own from now on but I'd like to still get the hybrid check so hopefully I can get someone to do that on its own.

IMG-20200125-133234-01.jpg

When does your hybrid warranty run out? Herself's toyota is pasts its 3 years warranty now. Not sure if i can just service it from now on... It still has the hybrid warranty. Must look into it.

Interslice wrote: »
    When does your hybrid warranty run out? Herself's toyota is pasts its 3 years warranty now. Not sure if i can just service it from now on... It still has the hybrid warranty. Must look into it.

There's a 5 year guarantee on the hybrid system (on this car anyway)when the car is new.
    Not sure of the smaller print on that though.

When you get it serviced at lexus, a hybrid health check is thrown in for "free".
    It is then guaranteed for 1 year or 15000km.
    Only on cars up to 10 years.

16 HP and below.

[IMG][/img]

I printed one of them out for the car window :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I dont think €520 is top bad for a proper full service (oil, air, pollen and plugs), brake fluid change and diff oil change? Are you sure it was 5w35 oil the last time, I've never heard that before, most Toyota hybrid stuff like you have there is 0w20.

I dont think €520 is top bad for a proper full service (oil, air, pollen and plugs), brake fluid change and diff oil change? Are you sure it was 5w35 oil the last time, I've never heard that before, most Toyota hybrid stuff like you have there is 0w20.
    Certain it was 5W35.
    Got the recall work done as well so that was handy.
    Next one is just an oil change I think which was €240 last time so probably more next year.
    That's worse than paying 520 for a proper full service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

There's a 5 year guarantee on the hybrid system (on this car anyway)when the car is new.
    Not sure of the smaller print on that though.

When you get it serviced at lexus, a hybrid health check is thrown in for "free".
    It is then guaranteed for 1 year or 15000km.
    Only on cars up to 10 years.

I think it's 5 years aswell. We got the last free service done before christmas. They dont tell you what they've been doing. 28k km on it now so im guessing just changing the oil and a 'health check'. I'm sure there will be an bluetooth app job out for that out eventually.

Also, get my car serviced at lexus and now keep getting ads on boards about lexus! :rolleyes:

Screenshot-20200126-104551.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Also, get my car serviced at lexus and now keep getting ads on boards about lexus! :rolleyes:

Screenshot-20200126-104551.jpg

That's actually a boards thing as I got the same add.

So it's not connected to your service.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement