Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mazda doing a recall apparently.

Built up of soot causing engines to stall.

Cars between 2012 and 2018 affected.

Wonder what changes they made after 2018 to not necessitate a recall of 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Tbh about the whole importing thing

It's really nox tax that killed it for me. I recalculated that if I were to import my car again today it would be an additional €3,400 on top of the VRT price which would be nearly twice what I paid for the car itself ! So to add vat or tax or later in the year is just Overkill.

I think they're a few people in similar circumstances to be, very decent cars full of spec that are about 6-8 years old now cost too much to import

But also not enough cash to buy very new for low Nox tax !

But anyway that's my 2c.

For cars here I don't think price will go up

In regards to NI , sure we might get away with it there but anytime I've looked for a UK car the North didn't have anything to offer me personally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What car do you have that has that nox charge on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

08 Mondeo TDCI is €4500 nox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What car do you have that has that nox charge on it?

Volvo D5 engine

It seems to be any engine before euro 6 or euro 5 is getting heavily taxed

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ.

I was speaking to someone recently who bought a Passat at the end of last year, couldn't get a vrt appointment until mid January I presume due to this nox charge coming in. They were unaware of implications on car they were bringing over, and it made it pointless. Had to then get rid and buy another car that fits the rules better.

Crazy how the goal posts can move so quickly. My own car just checked is 2.5k. Probably would have put me off bringing it over on the principal, which is what they want in the end. I presume there is no such thing as a nox rebate on export?

Jesus Christ.

I was speaking to someone recently who bought a Passat at the end of last year, couldn't get a vrt appointment until mid January I presume due to this nox charge coming in. They were unaware of implications on car they were bringing over, and it made it pointless. Had to then get rid and buy another car that fits the rules better.

Crazy how the goal posts can move so quickly. My own car just checked is 2.5k. Probably would have put me off bringing it over on the principal, which is what they want in the end. I presume there is no such thing as a nox rebate on export?

It's an absolute shambles. Even today if you use the vrt calculator it doesn't include NOX tax.

I'm not sure about any rebate on export for nox but I doubt it knowing this country

If it’s a dealer that has a ROS account then you can get around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Ehm, do you not see the correlation between the high depreciation / low used car prices here and the availability of cheap used cars from the UK?

I wish I had so few worries in life that a slightly different type of cruise control function was enough to make me go writing paragraphs on an internet forum then snarl about people being concerned about future prices. Unfortunately for me - I do have to worry about a few grand.

I see the correlation hence why I said prices will go up on secondhand cars. However nobody truly knows by how much but assuming the prices of new cars will remain fixed then there will always be depreciation for used cars hence a price drop. My point is it’s not going to be the difference between people owning cars and not. You may have to buy a car a couple of years older for the same price if budget is limited that’s about the extent of it. It won’t make or break anyone to own a slightly older car or hang onto the car you have for longer.

Paragraphs about cruise control I simply said I don’t like adaptive cruise control someone asked me why and I went onto explain why that’s about the extent of it. It is a motor forum we often talk about things we like / don’t like about cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it’s a dealer that has a ROS account then you can get around it.

The NOX charge? Tell us more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

How do people check if a car is currently taxed and NCT'd? Just want to run a few old reg plates of cars I've owned in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

motortax.ie for tax (if you remember PIN), ncts.ie for NCT. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ba_barabus wrote: »
    How do people check if a car is currently taxed and NCT'd? Just want to run a few old reg plates of cars I've owned in the past.

Put reg on morortax site and also ncts site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Put reg on morortax site and also ncts site.

NCT site tells me one expired last year and won't do anything with the second reg (I assume it's scrapped then)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, does anyone know if Ford Fiesta ST3 comes with performance pack as standard now? I don't see it as extra anymore in configurator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nice grill.

83726090_10157000272756801_6456442646075277312_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=kkHWvoR5XssAX_PTtQU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1df4ee75ec6e751de85138a5b3a76bd8&oe=5EC882AB

Vrt question,

Just looking at a 4 year old plug in hybrid (not for me) in the UK. Vrt website says vrt owed would be just over 4k.

I then read that there is a rebate on vrt from this site.

Is it as simple as paying the 4k then claiming back that it's a phev and they refund you 1500?

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/vrt-repayment-rates-hybrid-electric-vehicles/

VRT.ie isn’t an official site, and they say that ended 31/12/19

Cheers Colm,

But revenue site is same idea....

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/electric-and-hybrid-vehicles.aspx

The vehicle has a lower co2 than needed to meet the refund.

Does that figure of the refund then come off the vrt? I presume it hasn't already been deducted on the vrt calculation.

Just want to be sure.

Thanks

I think it’s included.

Here’s an example of an outlander.

20k OMSP, 14% VRT but only €1k VRT
    €1500 gone off there.

80-BDAB1-D-2-CBC-4190-8753-E3-AB778-D33-CA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vrt question,

Just looking at a 4 year old plug in hybrid (not for me) in the UK. Vrt website says vrt owed would be just over 4k.

Is it as simple as paying the 4k then claiming back that it's a phev and they refund you 1500?

The rebate should be included in the VRT calculator figure. The rebate reduces in coloration to the age of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Vrt question,

No, it doesn’t work like that. The deduction is already included in the vrt. Theres no refunds or claiming anything back.

Put in the car details below and this is the vrt you will pay including the plug in hybrid deduction.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

Cheers folks,

Makes sense now, the vrt rate is 14% and based on revenues value of the car that works out around 6k. So the 4k vrt includes the rebate as said, it just wasn't that clear.

The car is an XC90 t8 by the way.

£26 which is €30,500 and then the 4.5ish vrt so 35 landed.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a good saving over one here, the cheapest one here is asking 41k and that's got 95k miles on the clock and 4 years old.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111288312&postcount=6271

Got the Sorento it's 3rd service recently, oil, air, fuel and pollen filters along with oil and the 60k kms checks etc etc etc ......... €360 which I thought was quite reasonable all considered.

Went for the nexan nfera ru1 again, not a great brand of course but I found the last set great and the nfera ru1 are OE on Porsche Macan as well as the Sorento so I didn't think it necessary to chance anything else.

Am really happy with the thing. Fingers crossed the next 60k kms is as troublefree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Stolen from Facebook :) a handy tip that I'm a firm believer in.

FB-IMG-1580987356184.jpg

We have reached peak stupid

9369-B937-AD2-F-466-F-B5-FC-5-A4638-A92-FD6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How lucky are you?

86261694_1878541588946482_5172701097671786496_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeEr2u-XFl9i5DB1_f4qD95y9eye-L0_liFymV6AjycD7TdyCucwi1iPjO31AXXtrxf9WGGr-aTbcGXbDYEBghx8fka-Lewi0MLqiF7alhHg5A&_nc_ohc=ALxEBVYd7YcAX-bXBJM&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bd2de5443e8382be360dfdcc96462062&oe=5ECE0AD6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Bought a Subaru, now the garden is full... Luckily the Skyline and Silvia are in the shed :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Anything parked in the "neighbours spot" these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,037 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That C3 Pluriel though!

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Anything parked in the "neighbours spot" these days?

Yeah, the neighbour. Once he moves the E60 will be relocated until it becomes one with nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

Bought a Subaru, now the garden is full... Luckily the Skyline and Silvia are in the shed :pac:

WRX? Well wear, I've always wanted one but don't think I could get away with one as my daily and don't have space for two cars.

eljono wrote: »
    WRX? Well wear, I've always wanted one but don't think I could get away with one as my daily and don't have space for two cars.

Yep, 2.5 one... Itch that needed to be scratched really so we'll see how far it makes as a daily. Hopefully get a year or so from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Yep, 2.5 one... Itch that needed to be scratched really so we'll see how far it makes as a daily. Hopefully get a year or so from it.

I’m thinking of doing the exact same lately. Have a Corsa opc at the moment but always wanted a WRX. But wondering is it just complete madness having one as a daily.

• Advertisement

What about an sti....

What about an sti....

Last one I had left a Savage itch... Never again

Last one I had left a Savage itch... Never again

Had a itchy feeling someone might say that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We have reached peak stupid

9369-B937-AD2-F-466-F-B5-FC-5-A4638-A92-FD6.jpg

4 wheels on a car, 10 cable ties.
    2.5 cable ties per wheel.
    Hmmm, call me suspicious but I think someone is taking the piss! :pac:

Chappos, would I be correct in thinking that if you re-shell a car, you need to keep and use the new shells reg, rather than the old one? Also can't get the chassis re-stamped or that, due to dodgieness of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Chappos, would I be correct in thinking that if you re-shell a car, you need to keep and use the new shells reg, rather than the old one? Also can't get the chassis re-stamped or that, due to dodgieness of it?

Yeah, the ID stays with the chassis/shell.

Well, it should.

That means I'm going to have a Donegal reg car...

The shame.

... Unless you're creative with a grinder, and then a welder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,037 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Is there a law about swapping over where the vin is stamped ?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Is there a law about swapping over where the vin is stamped ?

As in cutting it out and replacing?

Yes it wouldn't be allowed but if done right nobody would ever know....

If done as a con job it would be an issue of course.

... Unless you're creative with a grinder, and then a welder.
    I'm not, but I might know a guy...

Although the car will be attracting enough attention with the J's exhaust as it is..

I'm not, but I might know a guy...

Although the car will be attracting enough attention with the J's exhaust as it is..

I know exactly what car you're talking about :P Send both cars to Steve Richardson and have him make the first one great again.

I know exactly what car you're talking about :P Send both cars to Steve Richardson and have him make the first one great again.
    Fairly sure you helped install my front strut brace, I remember some grumbling about it :P

Second shell shall become the first, minus all the rust :pac:

Fairly sure you helped install my front strut brace, I remember some grumbling about it :P

Second shell shall become the first, minus all the rust :pac:

In Tuning Factory? **** that's a long time ago.

In Tuning Factory? **** that's a long time ago.
    Yep, the Race Series 3 point one. I've had the car a while ha.

It's been dead for the last couple of years after one of Baz's trackdays up in Mondello.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement