Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yep, the Race Series 3 point one. I've had the car a while ha.

It's been dead for the last couple of years after one of Baz's trackdays up in Mondello.

Yeahhhh I remember that, because I remember flipping it and clocking my chin with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

As in cutting it out and replacing?

Yes it wouldn't be allowed but if done right nobody would ever know....

If done as a con job it would be an issue of course.

Wouldn't mine cutting the VIN off my '06 RX8 and putting it on a later R3.

It happens all the time in Aviation. Most 'Warbirds' are newbuilt aircraft - but so long as you have the original maker's plate and loogbooks it still counts as the same plane - like a sort of ship of theseus.

The VIN is the car. Everything else is just parts of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Having fun up the Sally Gap yesterday.

49523188147_eaec595548_c.jpg

49523188397_2676a296f0_c.jpg

Came across a few cars stranded, inc a bmw that had no business leaving the driveway, nevermind tackling mountain roads in those conditions.

49525203077_de82bb8443_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

That patrol must have pulled out a fair few cars yesterday.

Is that an xdrive badge on the 5er too?

It's an f10 isn't it? So no x-drive if so. Passed an E60 530d also on the military road which had drifts on it further up. Brave lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Suzuki looks great! Problem with xdrive (and the likes) is it gives a false sense of security to the owner, some more so than others. My car is xdrive, but it is still sitting on wide summer tyres. Absolutely terrible in the snow and ice over the last few days. It'll do better than a rwd going up a hill maybe, but braking it's as bad as every other car on the road. Quite scary the other day watching the speed of some cars coming towards me, and when I touched the brakes as lightly as I could I could feel the ABS working.

Yes and the problem in those conditions with an automatic is you can't drop a gear and use the engine to slow the car rather than the brakes. Even with the paddles, dropping gears has little affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Use to go up there in a Micra.

Had a great laugh and would pass 4x4s stuck and in ditches....

Many cars abandoned....

No chains and no winter tyres but the car just glided along.

Best thing about the big snow the other year was rolling past the stuck Range Rovers in my summer-tired RX8

And rings in the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

And the dead arise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cab-targets-drug-dealer-in-series-of-dawn-raids-on-22-properties-in-cork-and-tipperary-981511.html

During today's searches, which are still ongoing, CAB seized:
    Six high-powered cars, including a 191 registration Renault Kadjar, 182 registration Kia Sportage, 142 registration Skoda Superb, 171 registration Range Rover, 162 registration Hyundai Santa Fe, 151 registration Volkswagen Passat.
    €22,500 in cash;
    Two Louis Vuitton bags;
    1 Rolex watch

You have to laugh at what is described in the above article as "high-powered" cars these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bazz26 wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cab-targets-drug-dealer-in-series-of-dawn-raids-on-22-properties-in-cork-and-tipperary-981511.html

Six high-powered cars, including a 191 registration Renault Kadjar, 182 registration Kia Sportage, 142 registration Skoda Superb, 171 registration Range Rover, 162 registration Hyundai Santa Fe, 151 registration Volkswagen Passat.
    €22,500 in cash;
    Two Louis Vuitton bags;
    1 Rolex watch

You have to laugh at what is described in the above article as "high-powered" cars these days.

Yes it's quite a thing they like to use....

High powered like a Micra....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

€22,500 in cash;
    Two Louis Vuitton bags;
    1 Rolex watch

Unfortunately, some people do actually think they're high powered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Unfortunately, some people do actually think they're high powered.

High powered saloon has been to go lazy journalist tag for any car related news involving bad boys for years now.

€22,500 in cash;
    Two Louis Vuitton bags;
    1 Rolex watch

Some people think diesel Passats and Octavias are the fastest cars on earth to be fair in fairness like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

YbFocus wrote: »
    And the dead arise

Long time no post! Welcome back

Long time no post! Welcome back

Said I'd stick the head in and see was I still banned etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Some people think diesel Passats and Octavias are the fastest cars on earth to be fair in fairness like.

A guy complemented the R line the other day and asked was it TDI, i said no it's petrol, he couldn't mask his disappointed :D

tossy wrote: »
    A guy complemented the R line the other day and asked was it TDI, i said no it's petrol, he couldn't mask his disappointed :D

The immaculately perfect Irish motorist.
    Boss in work looking at machinery for a 3 mile commute to work mon-fri.

Was recommending a few nice petrol machines, he's set on a diesel Kia Sportage yolk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Going to try and get my Golf advertised this weekend.

2012, 1.6 daysul, R-Line. 170k, 2 years NCT, full main dealer history, timing belt done, 4 new tyres, new front pads and discs. EGR cooler and injectors have been replaced (common issues on these).

Would I be way out asking €7500 private sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

2012, 1.6 daysul, R-Line. 170k, 2 years NCT, full main dealer history, timing belt done, 4 new tyres, new front pads and discs. EGR cooler and injectors have been replaced (common issues on these).

I am not sure on the price but sounds like a sellable enough car decent spec with history and a good bit of maintenance work done. Assuming 170k km and not miles.

Perfectly reasonable asking price for a 2012 r line golf IMO.
    The money they command is lunacy :pac:

Augeo wrote: »
    Perfectly reasonable asking price for a 2012 r line golf IMO.
    The money they command is lunacy :pac:

Yes I don’t get why people are willing to give a big premium for a golf they are no different to any of the competitors in that segment.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

She's a red i, if that helps :pac:

The immaculately perfect Irish motorist.
    Boss in work looking at machinery for a 3 mile commute to work mon-fri.

Was recommending a few nice petrol machines, he's set on a diesel Kia Sportage yolk.

That poor Kia.

And welcome back.

Diesel - I know diesel enthusiasts and it *can* be fun. But not a crawling Kia.

Thinking of selling my own car too, not sure what to price it at going by others out there.

Here's one that's a year older, and another 40k miles from a trader looking €18k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-330-d-x-drive-m-sport/22658508

Mines a 141 330d xdrive estate with 96k miles.

Add xenons, genuine 19" wheels with mps4 tyres, m plus pack with bigger brakes, HK audio, pro nav with connected drive, factory tints,genuine m perf kit including lci m perf tail lights, heated electric memory seats, ambient light pack, folding mirrors, electric boot, enhanced Bluetooth and full service history including extra services in my ownership every 10k miles instead of 20k.

DL reg, so knock 5k off for that remember....

IMG-20181124-154633.jpg

IMG-20181124-155212.jpg

IMG-20190119-155836.jpg

IMG-20190119-155853.jpg

IMG-20191103-171206.jpg

Screenshot-20200213-234133-com-huawei-himovie-overseas.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

502870.jpg

For the day that's in it....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have more Boards notifications than battery %

Appreciate all the likes :), but anyone any idea what would be a reasonable price for a private sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Appreciate all the likes :), but anyone any idea what would be a reasonable price for a private sale?

23 - 24k maybe?

• Advertisement

Would you be happy with 20k?
    You don't have it that long iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Would anyone not from DL buy a DL reg car? Maybe sligo or leitrim heads. Such a long spin for a car thats been rallied and abused all its life.

Thats the type of narrowminded stereotype you need to counter to sell it.

23 - 24k maybe?

Sounds a bit high MM. That's not far off what I'd expect for my own 141 535d in a private sale. I'd say more like 18-19k max.

MM, 23/24 I would have thought was strong but maybe you're trying not to offend. Low 20s would be sweet for me but still trying to decide whether or not to put it up. I bought it summer 2018 so will be coming up to two years soon enough, not that long TBF.
    My idea of changing is being welcomed with strong disapproval when pitched at home here so maybe I'll hold on to it for another while.

Regarding the DL thing, people should really judge a car case by case. DL has a bad rep that all cars are abused/clocked/damaged repaired but it's non sense and narrow-minded to think like that, and that another county reg is immune to the same.
    The last 40k miles on my car has been very easy on it, doing 100km a day with cruise on a national road for the main part. 40k miles in stop start traffic in a city would be infinitely worse on many of the components, but sure if not having the L after the D is important to some then hey ho. I worried about this before when buying a new car, and got a D reg to help residuals, and therefore feeding into the whole non sense notion. I wouldn't be arsed with any of it now.

Agree on the whole plate nonsense V, pure rubbish. It's coming up on 100k miles as well which is why I suggested that figure. My own has 78k miles and I'd be delighted if I got 25k for it privately.

Are you thinking of a fast petrol motor for a change? Kinda in the same boat myself.

Yeah small manual hot hatch is in my head. It's hard to try and justify it to anyone without an interest in cars. But bit of variety did no one any harm. Sure it costs nothing to spend hours on autotrader/pistonheads etc and trying to man math different stuff, and if I do nothing for a while I still really like my own motor.

Ahem...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renaultsport-Clio-200-197-Cup-Alien-Green-Recaro-Bilstein-Coilovers-Speedlines-/333490082593

Quick one folks, how do you check how many previous owners is on a car again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Mine was basic - only extras were the folding mirrors, wheels, brakes and high beam assist. 92k km I think it had on it, rear tyres needed doing and I thought I'd won the lotto getting €22k for it last year. It did have 9 months BMW warranty on it and was just serviced.

You've got a lot more spec, x drive but higher miles. I reckon private sale somewhere around the 20k mark is where it's at. Lovely motor, and looks seriously clean.

<vulture>Do those rear lights fit the saloon?<vulture>

Quick one folks, how do you check how many previous owners is on a car again?

Put the reg into carsireland.ie and pretend to sell it.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Put the reg into carsireland.ie and pretend to sell it.

Cheers Colm

Mine was basic - only extras were the folding mirrors, wheels, brakes and high beam assist. 92k km I think it had on it, rear tyres needed doing and I thought I'd won the lotto getting €22k for it last year. It did have 9 months BMW warranty on it and was just serviced.

You've got a lot more spec, x drive but higher miles. I reckon private sale somewhere around the 20k mark is where it's at. Lovely motor, and looks seriously clean.

<vulture>Do those rear lights fit the saloon?<vulture>

Cheers, I'd agree with ye on that.

On the lights....I'm not sure tbh. I think the LCI saloon also needs little plastic gutters that I didn't need for the touring.

Part numbers differ between saloon and touring. Mine are 63212450110 and think saloon ends in 05.

Sure it costs nothing to spend hours on autotrader/pistonheads etc and trying to man math different stuff, and if I do nothing for a while I still really like my own motor.

Ahem...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renaultsport-Clio-200-197-Cup-Alien-Green-Recaro-Bilstein-Coilovers-Speedlines-/333490082593

Always buy the new car first do the maths after :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Quick question about VRT, if I buy a car from the north, can I park it up for a few months and pay VRT say 3 months down the line without any penalties?

Also, the omsp is €2,000 on the VRT calculator meaning the VRT would be about €800. In reality, the car is worth about €15,000, so is the actual VRT likely going to be a lot more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

CIP4 wrote: »
    Always buy the new car first do the maths after :pac:

Yeah, fup this procrastinating for months beforehand. :D

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Quick question about VRT, if I buy a car from the north, can I park it up for a few months and pay VRT say 3 months down the line without any penalties?

Also, the omsp is €2,000 on the VRT calculator meaning the VRT would be about €800. In reality, the car is worth about €15,000, so is the actual VRT likely going to be a lot more?

I don't think you can park it up, needs to be within 30 days of entering the state. I presume it's a private sale so not sure how they can prove when you brought it in though.

What car is it that is undervalued like that?

• Advertisement

I don't think you can park it up, needs to be within 30 days of entering the state. I presume it's a private sale so not sure how they can prove when you brought it in though.

What car is it that is undervalued like that?

Ah ok. Yeah it’s private, I guess I could buy the car and delay all the paperwork part of it if the seller would agree to it.

It’s an Impreza sti. Omsp showing as about 2k on the calculator but they look to be going for about 13-20k here.

Does the Co2 figure on VRT calculator exactly match the figure of the particular car? If not, you’re rolling the dice on the revenue valuation.

Does the Co2 figure on VRT calculator exactly match the figure of the particular car? If not, you’re rolling the dice on the revenue valuation.

Looked up the official co2 figure for the car and it’s 242 g/km, vrt calculator is also showing 242

That’s good start. I wouldn’t take the calculator as a 100% guarantee of what they’ll charge, but it has to be worth chancing

That’s good start. I wouldn’t take the calculator as a 100% guarantee of what they’ll charge, but it has to be worth chancing

Thanks, really like the car but it wouldn’t make financial sense if the vrt ends up being 3-4k.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement