Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CIP4 wrote: »
    You can like a car without actually buying one :)
    Yes but can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Speaking of things which are annoying nanny-things, I've discovered that my 550 won't let me move the car with the door open. Any attempt to do so puts the car back in park.

I occasionally leave the door open a tad to see straight down, especially when in precision parking environments such as my garage.

2009 520d here, mine does the same, I'd say nearly all them do that as a safety so the car doesn't roll away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Well this happened yesterday :( 
    451557.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Disaster! What happened it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looks like a pillar??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Ok, I have some thoughts and want to ask what people think about it.

My car failed NCT few weeks back, basically all visuals. And that's important to mention. The fails are: insecure lic. plate, front window tints too dark, loose brake hose, small rusty spot on the bottom of the car (just need a patch welded over it).

So, as we all know re-test using equipment to test is 28e. But the thing is, that all these fails are visuals only. I wouldn't have a problem paying 28e if the car would fail on emissions (thanks Dipetane, you did well) or shocks, brake effort. But it seems to me a bit odd to pay 28e so they can put it on lift and look at it from underneath. I mean to re-test the car they are using their eyes, not any equipment to measure something.

I feel like showing up there and telling them at the reception that it's visual only. And after the technician comes out to test it I will tell him that it's visual only, but he needs to get underneath the car. I can provide trolley jack and an axle stand. Or better the car will be already in the air on 2 axle stands as high as the stands can go. He can then lay down under the car and have a good look. I can put all this effort into this no problem if it saves me 28 euro. That's more than half of a tank in my car.

Seriously, it cost ridiculous amount of money to keep a car on the road... The insurance cost is insane, motor tax is waste of money because they don't repair any roads from that fund (Cork city's road network is like in some third world country), and then all the costs of petrol, parts, test is 55e etc. I don't think there is need to add unnecessary 28e to this. F**k em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Ah would you come off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but can you?

Ah sure I can only try. Don't have a great track record :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

How about no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The underside of your car needs to be inspected, so it needs to go on a lift. Do you honestly expect them to crawl under it in the car park?!

It's 28 quid....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Diabhalta wrote: »
    How about no.

Are you heading for a few pints over the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

How about no.

You are not serious about expecting the tester to crawl under the car in the car park trusting whatever set up you use to lift it up so you can save 28 euro. From a health and safety/ insurance point of view alone they are covered to inspect a car thats on a lift thats the method used I am sure they have procedures risk assessments, lift inspections done etc. The way you want to do it is a complete no go and thats not them trying to be awkward its just them avoiding putting an employee in a plain dangerous situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I feel like showing up there and telling them at the reception that it's visual only. And after the technician comes out to test it I will tell him that it's visual only, but he needs to get underneath the car. I can provide trolley jack and an axle stand. Or better the car will be already in the air on 2 axle stands as high as the stands can go. He can then lay down under the car and have a good look. I can put all this effort into this no problem if it saves me 28 euro. That's more than half of a tank in my car.

Sure go ahead and do that, the tester will just turn on his heels and head back inside to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

But if you checked the car over before the test you would have saved yourself 28 euro

Went in for the NCT retest for the handbrake. Parked up at the centre and all was good. Watched the car go through the handbrake test and it looked fine. Then saw the tester pop the bonnet. Wtf. Then he calls me, the car failed.

Handbrake passed, but in between me parking and him starting the test the power steering pump failed. FOR F*CK SAKE! Now I have 6 days to fix without having to put the car through a full test again. What are the chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I thought they could only fail you onm the thing they had to recheck?

I know I did some fairly hefty damage to the lights on my own yoke right before a recheck and they didn't bother to fail it until 2 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ok, I have some thoughts and want to ask what people think about it.

My car failed NCT few weeks back, basically all visuals. And that's important to mention. The fails are: insecure lic. plate, front window tints too dark, loose brake hose, small rusty spot on the bottom of the car (just need a patch welded over it).

So, as we all know re-test using equipment to test is 28e. But the thing is, that all these fails are visuals only. I wouldn't have a problem paying 28e if the car would fail on emissions (thanks Dipetane, you did well) or shocks, brake effort. But it seems to me a bit odd to pay 28e so they can put it on lift and look at it from underneath. I mean to re-test the car they are using their eyes, not any equipment to measure something.

Seriously, it cost ridiculous amount of money to keep a car on the road... The insurance cost is insane, motor tax is waste of money because they don't repair any roads from that fund (Cork city's road network is like in some third world country), and then all the costs of petrol, parts, test is 55e etc. I don't think there is need to add unnecessary 28e to this. F**k em.

we should do a go fund me

Dartz wrote: »
    I thought they could only fail you onm the thing they had to recheck?

I know I did some fairly hefty damage to the lights on my own yoke right before a recheck and they didn't bother to fail it until 2 years later.

I wasn't aware of that.... Anything I can do now?

Went in for the NCT retest for the handbrake. Parked up at the centre and all was good. Watched the car go through the handbrake test and it looked fine. Then saw the tester pop the bonnet. Wtf. Then he calls me, the car failed.

Handbrake passed, but in between me parking and him starting the test the power steering pump failed. FOR F*CK SAKE! Now I have 6 days to fix without having to put the car through a full test again. What are the chances.
    I wasn't aware of that.... Anything I can do now?

They can't really issue an NCT cert to a car with seriously defective power steering. They don't retest anything else but they are spot on to highlight this defect and refuse to issue the pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Augeo wrote: »
    They can't really issue an NCT cert to a car with seriously defective power steering. They don't retest anything else but they are spot on to highlight this defect and refuse to issue the pass.

In fairness power steering is not necessary though. Its a luxury, not a requirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Got about 33 mpg driving from Dublin to Cork last night using Circle K miles plus.

Normally I'd get 31 mpg on the same run, so there's definitely something in it anyway.

OSI wrote: »
    Windburn from driving at 131mph?
    lol no, reversing out :(

Disaster! What happened it?
    reversing out of the shed, forgot there was a door :(

did a 2-min patch up.. at least I don't see the scratches that much.
    Still have to get a new door though..

451602.jpg

Asmooh wrote: »
    I thought it was caused when you tried exceeding 130 kilomiles.

• Advertisement

If €55 or €28 is a significant sum of money, the cost of motoring is going to seem immense in comparison.

It's like someone spending 30k on a car to save 100 euro a year in tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Those kilomiles are lethally dangerous!

hahaa no XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

Dartz wrote: »

You drove a car for two years, knowing it had seriously damaged lights?

😢

blackbox wrote: »
    You drove a car for two years, knowing it had seriously damaged lights?

��
    That wasn't very bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Got about 33 mpg driving from Dublin to Cork last night using Circle K miles plus.

Normally I'd get 31 mpg on the same run, so there's definitely something in it anyway.

I've seen a few people say this - but look at the current weather we're having. Warmer weather definitely improves MPG a tad too. I'd say the weather conditions are as much a factor as any "special" fuel you've used...

tcawley29 wrote: »
    In fairness power steering is not necessary though. Its a luxury, not a requirement

No doubt, however a car equipped with power steering that has a pump that has failed is not at all analogous to a car that has no power steering fitted.

No doubt, however a car equipped with power steering that has a pump that has failed is not at all analogous to a car that has no power steering fitted.

Indeed. It's next to impossible to turn the wheel when moving slowly. Above 30km/h it's grand enough. Anyway, parts ordered. Pump, expansion tank and pulley. It doesn't look a bad job to replace to be fair. It all just depends on when I get the parts as I don't want to have to pay for a full re-test. I might remove the old one over the weekend and have it all ready to go. The car was taxed after the handbrake shoes were replaced because I was so confident so it'll be fixed one way or another!

Good old B.M.Trouble-U haha

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I've seen a few people say this - but look at the current weather we're having. Warmer weather definitely improves MPG a tad too. I'd say the weather conditions are as much a factor as any "special" fuel you've used...

That thought occurred to me as well, the only way to really compare it is to fill up with standard miles at the same station and report back. I was surprised at the difference to be honest, but in the 18 months I've had it, I've never gotten such good mpg at motorway speeds except for when I used V Power in the UK. Normally it will never do more than 32 on a motorway, for some reason Dublin to Limerick isn't very efficient at all and it does about 29-30 on that (although that was on standard fuel).

There is no difference in performance or refinement that's for sure whatever fuel I've used, the only one that made any difference was V Power, it definitely ran a little smoother on that.

There is no difference in performance or refinement that's for sure whatever fuel I've used, the only one that made any difference was V Power, it definitely ran a little smoother on that.

placebo effect IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

JoeA3 wrote: »

Warmer weather definitely a factor. Engine gets to temperature much quicker.
    42343169901_48512a0212_c.jpg

I normally get 41-42 mpg on the same journey. Really is incredible economy for a 6cyl 3L in what is a heavy car.

when i see the MPG above I have nothing to complain with 52-56...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

mpg.jpg

:D

3L petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Wailin wrote: »
    :D

3L petrol?

2L Turbo.

Im just delighted i thought of an idea for that meme while it was still relevant :)

• Advertisement

Even at 131mph? Impressive....

My fuel economy was 12kWh/100km today
    When you consider the rough energy value of 1 litre of petrol as 9.7kWh, that's 1.25l/100km or 225mpg.

In a 2.0 turbo cabby Astra?
    I'd say your calcs are out a tad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

In a 2.0 turbo cabby Astra?
    I'd say your calcs are out a tad.

Its a diesel isn't it?

Has to be at those mpg figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Here's mine, all city driving

IMG_6711.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

See attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Patww79 wrote: »
    Mine won't display proper numbers so it says I do 7.7l/100km. I don't think it's very good for a diesel.

Mine is 10.3l/100km which is definitely not very good for a diesel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement