Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

320d e90 n47. Im gonna give it a blast every couple of days up and down the M2 and hope I can clear out what might have built up.

Just to update you, I was talking to a friend of mine, he’s a BMW tech and confirmed what I suspected.
    If the glow plugs for any reason can’t operate, the ECU won’t let the car regenerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Saw this the other night, in the lashing rain. 12-D-547520 :eek: Couldn't get to see the front plate.

Screenshot-20200223-221510.jpg

Wonder is this the correct plate?

Screenshot-2020-02-23-at-22-21-06.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

What's going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

CianRyan wrote: »
    Just to update you, I was talking to a friend of mine, he’s a BMW tech and confirmed what I suspected.
    If the glow plugs for any reason can’t operate, the ECU won’t let the car regenerate.

Well that issue has now being fixed with a new module but it safe to assume that the dpf wouldn't have had a regen since before I got it at Christmas at least. Hopefully it's not ****ed. Piss poor effort on BMWs behalf for not even throwing up an EML.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fiesta wrote: »
    Saw this the other night, in the lashing rain. 12-D-547520 :eek: Couldn't get to see the front plate.

Screenshot-20200223-221510.jpg

Wonder is this the correct plate?

Screenshot-2020-02-23-at-22-21-06.png

Mad as it has the dealer plate where the surround is the actual plate,

I've seen a few imports done where they missed a digit.

Well that issue has now being fixed with a new module but it safe to assume that the dpf wouldn't have had a regen since before I got it at Christmas at least. Hopefully it's not ****ed. Piss poor effort on BMWs behalf for not even throwing up an EML.

If you’re not doing short journeys and the car is getting hot enough, you tend not to run into issues unless the DPF is already really shagged, you may also have to consider that the DPF may not be able to get clogged if it’s core has been removed. :p

I hear ya but you don’t tend to see EMLs got glow plugs. I’m with Nissan myself and pretty much every 1.5dci that comes in has at least one glow plug down, never get a light for them but it will store a DTC, only useful if you have the tool to scan it though. :rolleyes:

Glad your car got sorted though and long may it last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I have visitors to my engine bay :rolleyes:

F48-B9-EE5-9733-4-ACD-A81-B-ECBC53683-B8-D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That is, without doubt, THE most disgusting thing I've seen posted in this forum.

What animal is that??

That is, without doubt, THE most disgusting thing I've seen posted in this forum.

What animal is that??

Rat shìt some are saying, others claiming it’s a cat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Doesn't look like rat crap, could be squirrel. For rodents one pretty effective and cheap option is get a bottle of peppermint essential oil and drop a few drops around under the bonnet say once a week. Rodents hate the smell of it and avoid it. Smells nice too. You can get underbonnet doohickeys that fire out ultrasound but rodents can get used to that. Rodents can cause serious damage to electronics and other parts under the bonnet. They love to chew wires and since more and more car companies are going for "green" plastics that contain soya byproducts this makes wires and pipework and other plastics tasty to rats and the like.

EDIT I had a squirrel set up home, or at least use my car as a seed store two years ago. I removed the seeds and threw some peppermint oil around and he never came back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Doesn't look like rat crap, could be squirrel. For rodents one pretty effective and cheap option is get a bottle of peppermint essential oil and drop a few drops around under the bonnet say once a week. Rodents hate the smell of it and avoid it. Smells nice too. You can get underbonnet doohickeys that fire out ultrasound but rodents can get used to that. Rodents can cause serious damage to electronics and other parts under the bonnet. They love to chew wires and since more and more car companies are going for "green" plastics that contain soya byproducts this makes wires and pipework and other plastics tasty to rats and the like.

EDIT I had a squirrel set up home, or at least use my car as a seed store two years ago. I removed the seeds and threw some peppermint oil around and he never came back.

Top man wibbs! Squirrels in the city? I’ve power washed the entire engine bay took it up the Cork-Dublin motorway and lightly sprayed it with disinfectant in some areas, I’m hoping this will sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

For the first time in my life, in my 12 years of driving (license @ 18, 30 now), I told someone off for their bad driving, specifically parking! Was in a shopping centre with limited parking. Got in a tight space, cos of a clown's and joker's bad parking on either side, but I was parked to my standard (i.e. central and parallel to the white lines), with what I deem sufficient space either side for either clown/joker to get in/out. I'm waiting for someone to arrive to go get something to eat, rough ETA of 10 minutes, so I decide to wait in the car until they come.

Clown comes back to her car, has a look and decides that she can't get in. She flags me down, I open the window and she says she can't get into her car. I reply to her saying that she wouldn't be in that predicament if she had consideration for others in the first place and didn't park as crooked as a donkey's hind legs! She was taken aback at that, didn't reply and managed to squirm her way in anyway.

Was I right? Was I wrong? I was grinning to myself afterwards :D

I think you were right. If we always give in to other peoples' stupidity they will never learn.

jaxxx wrote: »

Was I right..........

100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Well lads, i lurk on here a bit but rarely post

just bought a 142 megane there last week 68k kilometres. 1.5dci

Anything i should be looking out for that could potentially cause me trouble ?

jaxxx wrote: »
    Was I right?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

jaxxx wrote:
    Was I right? Was I wrong? I was grinning to myself afterwards

If she was six foot and twenty stone with a beard would you have done the same. If the answer is yes you were right :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Top man wibbs! Squirrels in the city? I’ve power washed the entire engine bay took it up the Cork-Dublin motorway and lightly sprayed it with disinfectant in some areas, I’m hoping this will sort it.
    Hopefully CT, though I've read disinfectant and the like doesn't work much, but the peppermint essential oil does. I got mine from ebay. Big enough bottle for about a tenner IIRC. And yeah I have squirrels in my Dublin burbs neck of the woods. Foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, bats and rats and mice too. Feckin zoo. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

If she was six foot and twenty stone with a beard would you have done the same. If the answer is yes you were right :-)

Ignorance is ignorance, I don't discriminate when it comes to sex/colour/age/height/anything-else. I'm fortunate enough not to see things in black and white; which is ironically, the very definition of ignorance itself as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

akelly02 wrote: »

They are a fairly sturdy car in fairness. Stick up a few pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I discovered on Sunday that a wire wheel drill attachment is stronger than skin, especially facial skin.

They are a fairly sturdy car in fairness. Stick up a few pics!

Not a feckin clue how to do that . I’ll ask the mrs and report back .

Only 60k kilometers on a 142 sounded good to me

They won't set your world on fire or give you a smile when you press the so called power peddle as it's an understatement there ain't no power, I hit my head getting in or out but they are a reliable enough motor.

Centre brake light prone to water damage, windows regs and that about it really.

Very good engines when properly looked after, make sure your timing belt is done in time as they do tend to snap if left on, they’re due every 5 years or 120,000km, I’ve also seen a few glow plugs fail on them but they’re not a big job and to be honest, they run very well even if they’re gone.

All together they’re a very good car, enjoy!

I missed Adblue by a model year I think on the Sorento. Adblue ones come with a spacesaver instead of a fullsize spare also.

Is it smelly to dispense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I generally pee there, it's the same stuff

Very good engines when properly looked after, make sure your timing belt is done in time as they do tend to snap if left on, they’re due every 5 years or 120,000km, I’ve also seen a few glow plugs fail on them but they’re not a big job and to be honest, they run very well even if they’re gone.

All together they’re a very good car, enjoy!

thanks for that, i heard about the timing belt before , ill keep an eye out for the glow plugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Why do some manufacturers use adblue while others don't?

Wailin wrote: »
    Why do some manufacturers use adblue while others don't?

It was emissions based so some could get away with it as co2 was low but anything euro6 now has it I believe.

It's been in trucks and buses since 2008 maybe a small few before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw my first boy racerfied (for want of a better term) Saab 93 today.
    Lowered to the last so hope the owner doesn't need to go anywhere with speed bumps and the obligatory stupid window stickers.
    It was completed with twin exhausts belching out thick black smoke and the rear of the car destroyed in soot which made the lights hard to see.
    A lovely car ruined imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Finding the RN spec oil is tricky. Oil service intervals can be short.

https://www.mister-auto.ie/engine-oil/elf/elf011/

This is 40 quid from main dealer also. Runs much nicer on 5w30, ideally with that RN 0720 spec. Sounds a bit rough on 5w40. Whatever you do dont let someone put 10w40 semi synth into it.

Interslice wrote: »
    Finding the RN spec oil is tricky. Oil service intervals can be short.

Service mine every 20k km,

I left the belt over due 7k, just completely messed up, got all done, it's putting away.

Serviced it myself the other day.

5W30 C4 can be found in every motor factors in Dublin and is manufacture recommended. It's what we use in them in Nissan and they're our most common engine.

Welcome back Cian :D

Hopefully CT, though I've read disinfectant and the like doesn't work much, but the peppermint essential oil does. I got mine from ebay. Big enough bottle for about a tenner IIRC. And yeah I have squirrels in my Dublin burbs neck of the woods. Foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, bats and rats and mice too. Feckin zoo. :D

My disinfectant didn't work anyway. I'll need to find that peppermint oil. Squirrels in down town Dublin? :pac: Is it a second zoo you guys have up there? :D

Checked under the bonnet again this morning, more sh1t on the engine cover and it only happened overnight, as i checked it at 8pm last night and nothing, 8am this morning it was there. :(

My disinfectant didn't work anyway. I'll need to find that peppermint oil. Squirrels in down town Dublin? :pac: Is it a second zoo you guys have up there? :D

Checked under the bonnet again this morning, more sh1t on the engine cover and it only happened overnight, as i checked it at 8pm last night and nothing, 8am this morning it was there. :(

Get some chicken wire and place it around the open areas out of sight and cable tie or use it's wire to attach.

They won't set your world on fire or give you a smile when you press the so called power peddle as it's an understatement there ain't no power....

I drive a 1.5 Captur regularly enough, as you say, there is no power at all. Geared nice and high though to be fair. But that accepted it won't hit 60mpg too often either.

Augeo wrote: »
    I drive a 1.5 Captur regularly enough, as you say, there is no power at all. Geared nice and high though to be fair. But that accepted it won't hit 60mpg too often either.

What would be a decent mark to be hitting for mixed driving ?

1.5 megane 1.5 dci

im getting 5.2l / 100km as per the screen average

1.5 megane 1.5 dci

That's very good, I'm getting 6 to 6.6/100km

On 5 speed

That's very good, I'm getting 6 to 6.6/100km

On 5 speed

this is just computer but dont know how accurate that is .

mine is 6 speed that prob helps a bit

• Advertisement

this is just computer but dont know how accurate that is .

mine is 6 speed that prob helps a bit

Yes 6 speed would make a big difference and speeds of course

Try the oil CT it seems to be very effective. Another option of course is to get a couple of rat traps and place them at the base of your front tyres, as that's often how they make their way in by scurrying up the tyres. Though some might be a bit squeamish about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

5W30 C4 can be found in every motor factors in Dublin and is manufacture recommended. It's what we use in them in Nissan and they're our most common engine.

We dont all live in dublin cian ;)

Try the oil CT it seems to be very effective. Another option of course is to get a couple of rat traps and place them at the base of your front tyres, as that's often how they make their way in by scurrying up the tyres. Though some might be a bit squeamish about that.

I'm trying a different approach tonight, i'm letting the car outdoors to see will it make any difference, the shed is cold,damp,wet. Didn't think of rat traps. Any idea where i can get the oil?Pharmacy?

I'm trying a different approach tonight, i'm letting the car outdoors to see will it make any difference, the shed is cold,damp,wet. Didn't think of rat traps. Any idea where i can get the oil?Pharmacy?
    I got mine from ebay on t'interwebs. Though considering you need this stuff yesterday... Maybe one of the bigger pharmacies like Boots, where they have more of a hippy dippy section and might have essential oils? Feck it, at this stage until you get the oil maybe some peppermint sweets from a local newsagents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Eh, your shed is obviously infested dude

Interslice wrote: »
    We dont all live in dublin cian ;)

That's fair but it can always be delivered. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

That's fair but it can always be delivered. :p

Correct and mostly cheaper even with postage etc,my 0W 20 for my hybrid is cheaper by e12 coming from the UK despite a motor factor's within 15 minutes of me

1.5 megane 1.5 dci

Dunno in a Megane tbh. I find the Captur mpg is effected by driving style hugely. I'm quite light footed and on a run would get 55mpg whereas GF would rarely see 50mpg. No 6th in her Captur either.

• Advertisement

I've been toying with the idea of getting a motorbike. Know absolutely nothing about them, so figured I'd buy the theory test online subscription thing before going down and doing the test.

Did a mock test, and I got this question wrong. And I'm sure I'm right! So I'm posting it here to see what ye think.

Keep in mind, this is the motorbike test I'm doing, so I presume the steering wheel that is shown from "my" perspective is supposed to represent me, riding a motorbike.

Untitled024.jpg

I picked the bottom left answer, and I was wrong. The correct answer is the top left. However, the sign on the road shows that the car has right of way over the truck to turn right, as he's not actually turning right at all, as the road bends that way, and the truck is on a minor road that joins the major one that the car is already on..?

I am right there, aren't I? Surely the 'correct' answer, is actually wrong? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement