Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are (obviously) wrong.

The driver does not have right of way over the oncoming traffic - the black car.

Don't get a motorbike if you don't understand this. As they say in the US: Most motorcycles last a lifetime... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You are (obviously) wrong.

If you actually read the post and question you'll see the question is asked about the car. The car is not the oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The test is correct. Didn't have to think about it either knew straight away.

The test is correct. Didn't have to think about it either knew straight away.

How, though? Car is on the major road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Are you forgetting that you'd be turning across the path of the oncoming black car?
    If you tried your answer, you'd be under it or on it's bonnet

• Advertisement

The black car, and the motorbike (the first person perspective) have right of way over the truck, as the truck is trying to join a major road from a minor one. The only vehicle that has to stop, is the truck.

If I want to turn right, i have to let the car pass first. If the black car wants to follow it's line it just does so without passing any remarks to the other traffic, and if the truck wants to follow it's arrow it has to wait til other traffic has passed?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Are you forgetting that you'd be turning across the path of the oncoming black car?
    If you tried your answer, you'd be under it or on it's bonnet

As per the question:

'what should the car driver do'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

As per the question:

'what should the car driver do'
    It's directed at you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Eh, your shed is obviously infested dude

It wasn’t last night :D

If you actually read the post and question you'll see the question is asked about the car. The car is not the oncoming traffic.
    Are you now being deliberately obtuse? The car driver is you...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Are you now being deliberately obtuse? The car driver is you...

No he's not, he's the bike rider doing his bike theory test.

No he's not, he's the bike rider doing his bike theory test.
    Maybe, but he's driving a car in the scenario given - unless bikes have a steering wheel.

Not your ornery onager

That threw a spanner in the works as they have a car question in with a bike test.

You are the car driver in the car with just the steering wheel shown even though it is a motor bike test in that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Maybe, but he's driving a car in the scenario given - unless bikes have a steering wheel.

No, he's not. The question is asking what the car has to do, not what he has to do. I'd be certain there's a warning saying not all images are representative of actual scenarios or something.

No, he's not. The question is asking what the car has to do, not what he has to do. I'd be certain there's a warning saying not all images are representative of actual scenarios or something.

He is how else would the correct answer be the one where you are the driver with the steering wheel.

Also the black car is not turning right he is going straight on even though there is a curve.

Which car though? Maybe the black one?
    No, it's the car from which the view is taken.

What should the driver do equates to 'What should you do?'.

The correct answer is given.

I'm out of this discussion, go down the rabbit hole if you like.

Not your ornery onager

The colour coded arrows even prove it. Green then blue then red.

And as I said the only person turning right is you and the truck driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

...If I want to turn right, i have to let the car pass first. ...

There ya go...got there in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow, how would someone already driving not know this.

Just because it's motorbike test doesn't mean the rules change.

• Advertisement

That threw a spanner in the works as they have a car question in with a bike test.

That's the only thing that I can think it might be - that they have a question in the wrong place.

However, even so, the questions asks what does the car have to do, it doesn't ask what do I have to do (other questions are worded this way - asked as though they're talking to you).

This one specifically mentions "the" car, and shows only one car, and places it in a motorbike test.

I can see where I was going wrong, but it's definitely an issue on the RSA side of things as, as you say, it must be just a car question fired into the bike test (a lot of them are car questions, but are obviously car questions, whereas this one isn't so obvious at all).

The black car is referred to in two answers as 'the oncoming vehicle', so you really should have inferred that the 'car driver' in the question is not the driver of the black car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I would say that the test is poorly written - 'The Car Driver' is a form of language refers to another entity, and is ambiguous when there is another car shown.

If there is an action required of the test-taker then the question should clearly be addressed to them. What should YOU do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

It's supposed to be the wind deflector on the bike, not a steering wheel. It's just badly illustrated. If you can't tell what a bike looks like when you're sitting on it you should stick with a car :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They were warned, it's not a place any high sided vehicle should be driving.

Sail to the wind they are....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Some reaction on the driver. He steers it right to save it, but the wind's already gotten a hold and over it goes like a dozing cow.

Went to the west and back east today. Madest thing i seen was some plug who decided todays the day I'll transport the massive mobile home in the back of the lorry. Roads were mad quiet though.

Had to go meet the builder about a few things for the man cave. Getting a 6inch slab and a decent conduit run out for power and water supply. Hope to run out a 16sq swa to run all the bits. Dont know if I'll go down the 2 post lift route yet but be good to have it future proofed.

Have to say the prius is a dream to drive through the storm and floods. Was a bit nervous going through the first deep waters last week. Water and eletcricty alarm bells were going off. The odd looking aero design is odd but it doesnt really feel the gusts on the plus side.

Get the ESB conduit suitable..... Run your cables in that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Have a 2 post lift in one of the sheds but I put in an in floor scissor lift beside it. I actually prefer the scissor lift, looks a lot more tidy

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Have a 2 post lift in one of the sheds but I put in an in floor scissor lift beside it. I actually prefer the scissor lift, looks a lot more tidy

Scissor lifts aren't great if you have to work on the wheels or suspension.

I think scissor lifts are safer also as I seen a video online of a car falling on top of two or three people with a two post lift due to not correctly aligned on the holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, they are really for different types of jobs. Scissors is easier to get onto and get into the air with less setting up but is mostly for service style work.

Scissor lifts aren't great if you have to work on the wheels or suspension.

I think scissor lifts are safer also as I seen a video online of a car falling on top of two or three people with a two post lift due to not correctly aligned on the holders.

The wheels and suspension are completely free as it's only the sills that are in contact with the lift

PsychoPete wrote: »
    The wheels and suspension are completely free as it's only the sills that are in contact with the lift

We are obviously talking about a different kind of scissor lift. The one I was thinking about you drive straight on and all four wheels are lifted up and there is not much working room as the part you drive onto is pretty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You should really have wood or rubber blocks between the ramp and the sills, I’ve seen some amount of damage from people leaving the weight of the car on metal to metal.

I’d always favour a 2 poster, out of all the ramps I’ve used (maaaaany) I’ve never had a reliable scissor lift. Once you know how to load a 2 poster and you ensure your locks are engaged they are safe as houses.

I used my 2 poster in work for working on long wheelbase, twin axle, high roof vans, your cars will be fine. :pac:

• Advertisement

Damaged sills are ridiculously common, used to see it alot when I was with renault. Wouldn't mind but most had the little triangle on the sill to show where the jacking points were. No excuse for it

Damn just thinking about my old car a Mirage Asti Rx Version R. You don't even see them for sale any more. You do see colts/mirage but not a asti version which is the coupe. If one was for sale it would be dear enough I'd say due to rarity. The coupe in picture in link is a standard asti the Version R had a high lift spoiler extra bracing and some sort of intercooler thing for oil I think. Looked like a mini intercooler behind the front bumper.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1998/1989275/mitsubishi_mirage_asti_rx_version_r.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

An oil cooler. I love the way it was sold on steel rims, they knew there was no point in offering it with the extra cost of alloys as owners would be sourcing their own anyway :)

An oil cooler. I love the way it was sold on steel rims, they knew there was no point in offering it with the extra cost of alloys as owners would be sourcing their own anyway :)

Yea an oil cooler. I'm not sure if the Version R came with steel rims or alloys. It also had the back windows factory tinted and a higher lift low cam and a higher lift high cam than the standard Mivec. I'm not sure how it ranked in Japan when new obviously not as good as the Type R's(ek9 and DC2). They were more stripped down and more powerful engines.

My car's infotainment system decided to throw a hissy fit yesterday evening. No sound whatsoever from the speakers, parking censors still work on the screen but no beep as you get closer to an object. Bluetooth forgets to pair with your phone every time you get into the car, cannot play any music either via the HDD or through streaming. Ditto with the radio stations, and a warning message comes up on the screen occasionally telling me that there are no warning tones active. Tried rebooting the infotainment system but still not change.

Doing a bit of googling of this and it seems to be a common enough problem and points to the Harman Kardon amp located in the boot. With work and the poor weather/light this time of year I didn't get much opportunity to remove the boot trim to have a look if there was any water lodged in there. I'm getting it looked at next week by a BMW indy to investigate but if it is the amp then they are not cheap. Indy quoted me around 1k plus vat for a new one if it's the amp but it might also be the module it's connected to. There are second hand amps for sale on ebay but they are still pricey enough and your really gambling will they last 6 weeks or 6 years.

Fingers crossed it's the cheaper module, I'd hate to think what BMW would charge. The car is 5 years old so well outside warranty, I've had it 2 years and this is the first time it's given me any sort of grief. The joys of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Fingers crossed bazz and hopefully you get it sorted for a reasonable price. Funnily enough my own is acting a bit odd too. When I put it into reverse, the rear view camera works fine but I get a ping on the dash saying camera failure, same with the surround view camera. Yet they're not in failure and working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Do you use the hard drive for music? Corrupted mp3's can cause issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Common enough for water to get into the battery area in the boot so it would be my first port of call. Plenty of modules and wiring in there that could be affected. Not sure if amp is located there or in the side panels though.

I'm not optimistic, as you know it's rare something is cheap to fix on these cars when it does go wrong. The biggest thing is that I'd be happy to permanently remove the amp but from reading about them it seems all these devices are linked into some sort of fiber optic Ethernet ring where if one fails it breaks the ring so they all stop functioning until the ring is reestablished. A crap design to have a single point of failure like that.

Definitely not corrupt mp3s as it's effecting other functions such as the volume, bluetooth, all speakers including the PDC chime and Sat Nav voice commands. I wiped all the music from the hard drive and copied some over again but made no difference. Amp is located in one of the side panels but I'll have a look at the battery this coming weekend too if we get 5 mins without rain, hail or snow.

I used the hard drive in mine once and it threw a wobbly. Normally use Spotify only but hit against the mode button with the edge of a coffee cup. Never touched it since and it's been fine.

*touches wood*

Buy a toyota lads. Problem solved!

Interslice wrote: »
    Buy a toyota lads. Problem solved!

I would rather walk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

All your symptoms point to an amp issue, as you've already said. Id have no issue buying a second hand one as they should last if the issue was water ingress it's not really the amps fault. I wouldn't be waiting for an indy either. Your combox is in your boot too, but it's specific to your car and not sure you can just buy one second hand as all the connected drive **** is done through it. You could be finding more water than you're hoping in there. Hope it's just a lose connection or something for you.

On a separate note, I have a serious want for this little machine

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287816792?atmobcid=soc3

That's a cool Clio.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement