Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Anyone got experience of Dunlops?

I need to change the tyres on the car (once Covid-19 is over naturally!).

The tyres which are currently on the rear of the car are Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s, so I was going to go for the same again, but they are not available in my tyre size any more.

For GoodYears, the only available options on the rear are Asymmetric 2s, which are run-flats (so they're out), or Asymmetric 5s, which are 3 dB louder than the Asymmetric 3s currently on it. I won't bore ye with the maths, but a 3 dB increase is 23% more noise. The only noises I want to hear from the car are those made by its engine when I want to have fun with it :D!

I rather like the Sport Maxx RT2s, they are one of the quietest tyres (69dB) and are reasonably priced. They have the added advantage of being one of the few tyres available on my front tyre size also (225/40 R18), and since I need to change all the tyres, I want to have the exact same make and model all around for the first time (I have GoodYears on the front also but they are Efficient Grips and E46s prefer having the same tyres all around).

I have heard bad things about Continentals and Bridgestones so I'm not really interested in either. Pirellis don't have good noise ratings and seem to be quite expensive, I have read mixed reviews about those also.

I know Michelins are highly rated by BMW enthusiasts but although the Pilot Sport 4s are also available on both the front and rear sizes I need, they are a good bit noisier (2 dB or 15% more on the rear tyres and 3 dB or 23% more on the front tyres) than the Dunlops and a whole set would be €135 dearer.

I'm not one for cheaping out on tyres of all things, but I don't really want to spend extra money for no good reason. Any reason not to get Dunlops?

https://www.tyres-outlet.ie/search?sortCode=label_sound_asc&minPrice=&maxPrice=&season=So&width=255&profile=35&size=18&speedRating=&loadIndex=&brand=&priceCategory=premiumbrands&rimProtection=true&clientReviewsRating=&approvedBy=&isRunflat=&reinforced=&cTire=&sealLayer=&noiseReduction=&homologation=&vehicleTypes=PKW&vehicleTypes=RACE_PKW&vehicleTypes=LLKW&vehicleTypes=VINTAGE_PKW&vehicleTypes=OFF&pageNoFull=1&itemsPerPage=15

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Remove the stupid pop up aerial and look at getting one that uses the window instead.
    Ahh I like the stupid oul pop up aerial T. Well, since I replaced the core so it doesn't go dak dak dak dak every bleedin time it goes up and down. Reminds me of simpler times. :D I remember "helping" my dad fit one to his Ford Cortina when I was a kid. A school friend and me ran his battery down making it go up and down. A bollocking ensued.

A few years back I was tempted to put the S2000 stubby aerial. Have it somewhere. Or like you go the internal aerial/window route. Even have the OEM aerial blanking plug thingie.

507724.jpg

That kinda thing was so much easier to source a few years back. And cheaper.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I liked it initially, but then I slightly bent mine testing the car on a private track when the aerial was still up. Plus that clack sound when it was fully extended got annoying fairly quickly as well ha.

I'll likely go the window route and get the hole filled in when the body is getting cleaned up, I've seen a few with the S2000 aerial and not really a fan of that either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW T I have a new replacement uppy downy aerial(technical term). Not a Honda one, but almost identical and would fit, so if you do want to go that route let me know. You'd be welcome to it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Anyone got experience of Dunlops?

I need to change the tyres on the car (once Covid-19 is over naturally!).

The tyres which are currently on the rear of the car are Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s, so I was going to go for the same again, but they are not available in my tyre size any more.

For GoodYears, the only available options on the rear are Asymmetric 2s, which are run-flats (so they're out), or Asymmetric 5s, which are 3 dB louder than the Asymmetric 3s currently on it. I won't bore ye with the maths, but a 3 dB increase is 23% more noise. The only noises I want to hear from the car are those made by its engine when I want to have fun with it :D!

I rather like the Sport Maxx RT2s, they are one of the quietest tyres (69dB) and are reasonably priced. They have the added advantage of being one of the few tyres available on my front tyre size also (225/40 R18), and since I need to change all the tyres, I want to have the exact same make and model all around for the first time (I have GoodYears on the front also but they are Efficient Grips and E46s prefer having the same tyres all around).

I have heard bad things about Continentals and Bridgestones so I'm not really interested in either. Pirellis don't have good noise ratings and seem to be quite expensive, I have read mixed reviews about those also.

I know Michelins are highly rated by BMW enthusiasts but although the Pilot Sport 4s are also available on both the front and rear sizes I need, they are a good bit noisier (2 dB or 15% more on the rear tyres and 3 dB or 23% more on the front tyres) than the Dunlops and a whole set would be €135 dearer.

I'm not one for cheaping out on tyres of all things, but I don't really want to spend extra money for no good reason. Any reason not to get Dunlops?

https://www.tyres-outlet.ie/search?sortCode=label_sound_asc&minPrice=&maxPrice=&season=So&width=255&profile=35&size=18&speedRating=&loadIndex=&brand=&priceCategory=premiumbrands&rimProtection=true&clientReviewsRating=&approvedBy=&isRunflat=&reinforced=&cTire=&sealLayer=&noiseReduction=&homologation=&vehicleTypes=PKW&vehicleTypes=RACE_PKW&vehicleTypes=LLKW&vehicleTypes=VINTAGE_PKW&vehicleTypes=OFF&pageNoFull=1&itemsPerPage=15

I have the dunlop sport Maxx rt2s on all corners of mine and I cant wait till they're low enough to change them. They're acceptable in the dry but the second there's any level of moisture or greasyness they're hopeless. Slipping happening on slow corners etc. I actually brought up the dunlops either in this thread or the pics of my car thread and there was a few others with the same feedback on the dunlop.i wouldn't reccomend.

From asking for tyre suggestions the three that kept coming up were
    Goodyear asymmetric 4 or 5s
    Michelin ps4
    Uniroyal transport 3s (I think was the third one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I took a car for a wash in the automatic car wash after repair's were carried out....while sitting in the car waiting as it was washed, turned on the radio..forgetting completely that the aerial was automatic, and up she went !! Didn't hear a thing over the noise of the wash,,but when it finished,,,discovered that not only was it the cleanest aerial around, it was also the most mangled,,,,,was on a Mercedes too, make matters worse,,:mad: still remember the bollocking I got for that.. never liked automatic aerials after that !!!:cool:

Ouch :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

@LH Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 5 are phenomenal tyre serious step up even on the Asy 3 wet grip is unreal you can really push them. I can’t argue with your noise values but at the same time I have no issue with them noise wise. But for me grip and the way the tyre performs would be more important at the same time I have never had Dunlop’s so don’t know what they are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Wibbs wrote: »
    FWIW T I have a new replacement uppy downy aerial(technical term). Not a Honda one, but almost identical and would fit, so if you do want to go that route let me know. You'd be welcome to it.

I'd the S(tubby)2000 one on mine and it just looked weird :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ouch :o

It went quite a bit beyond "OUCH"...its many year's ago since it happened,,,but i still remember it......vividly !!! And this "Aerial" discussion brought it all back...:cool::cool:..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone know a ballpark figure of getting four lowering springs fitted? I've a set of Eibach Pros I'd like to get fitted when things return to normal. Car is an E60 BMW if it makes a difference. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Duff wrote: »
    Anyone know a ballpark figure of getting four lowering springs fitted? I've a set of Eibach Pros I'd like to get fitted when things return to normal. Car is an E60 BMW if it makes a difference. Cheers.

Anywhere from €350-500 depending on who you go to. I got a quote from discount tyres in blanchardstown for €360 on my f10 and €470 from a different crowd in north dublin.

Thanks lads, feck having tyres that aren't great for grip anyway:pac:.

I don't want GoodYears because apart from the noise rating, one thing I've noticed is that the Asymmetric 3s have gotten incredibly noisy over the past few thousand miles (although the front tyres are lovely and quiet and there's over 22,000 miles clocked on those), they're so bad I actually thought the car had developed a diff problem until I realised it's perfectly quiet on some roads, like the part of the M7 that has been widened to three lanes but on the M8 near Glanmire and Cork you'd nearly be deaf.

I know I'm not the only person who had that problem with GoodYear tyres as they get older, either.

What are peoples' thoughts on Vredesteins? They seem a lot cheaper than Michelins and I've heard good reviews about them on BMWs, although I'm heavily leaning towards Michelins at this stage, I might as well stump up the extra if there's more grip from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had Vredesteins Ultrac Sessenta on my old E90 years ago and found them to be a great tyre. The grip was great on them and had a unique looking tread pattern. It's hard to find a stockist of them these days though and they don't do them in my F10 sizes so haven't any recent experience of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn’t they have very soft sidewalls?

My E90 rears were 255/35/R19 so every brand of tyre on those had a fragile wall.

FWIW on my F10 I have Goodyear Eagle F1 AS 3 RFTs on the front and replaced them on the rear with Michelin Primacy 3 ZPs as there was a special offer on them at the time. There is not much between both around grip or road noise but the Primacy 3s seem to be wearing a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    I had Vredesteins Ultrac Sessenta on my old E90 years ago and found them to be a great tyre. The grip was great on them and had a unique looking tread pattern. It's hard to find a stockist of them these days though and they don't do them in my F10 sizes so haven't any recent experience of them.

I have them on my E36 and found they transformed the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I switched from Bridgestone Potenza RFT's (awful tyre in damp conditions) to Michelin PS4 a few months back. Better grip, more forgiving over bad road surfaces and just feels better overall. Not sure how they compared noise wise but that never really bothered me anyhow. I had Pirelli P Zeros on a previous f11 and they were fine but the Michelin are better.

Thanks folks, I remember you saying that before JBJ about Vredesteins, well if they're good enough for your E36 I'm sure they'll do just fine for my E46 also!

It's times like this I almost wish my MV2s were replicas instead of genuine:pac:; it would have been so much easier if I just had to find a set of 225/40 R18s (which is the tyre size for the fronts) as there's a truckload of choice and I could have stuck with the very reasonably priced GoodYear Efficient Grip Performances on all four corners, having had them for over three years and nearly 23,000 miles, they're a very good tyre.

Anyway, Google tells me that Ultrac Sessenas have been replaced by Ultrac Vortis, which fortunately are available in both tyre sizes I need, like the Michelin Pilot PS4s and Dunlop RT2s I mentioned earlier are. Google also tells me their performance is comparable to Asymmetric 3s but they score pretty well for quietness and have the added advantage of being €200 cheaper than the Michelins, so happy days. It will be nice to have the exact same make and model of tyre on all four corners of the car for the first time in my 3 1/4 years of ownership to keep my OCD happy, too :pac: :D!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I switched from Bridgestone Potenza RFT's (awful tyre in damp conditions) to Michelin PS4 a few months back. Better grip, more forgiving over bad road surfaces and just feels better overall. Not sure how they compared noise wise but that never really bothered me anyhow. I had Pirelli P Zeros on a previous f11 and they were fine but the Michelin are better.

Interestingly, I just put Portenza RFTs onto my F10. They replaced the Turanzas which came with it. I was not pleased by the lack of grip on the Turanzas, the Portenzas are much better. That said, I made that choice in the knowledge that Portenza is a summer tyre and the Turanzas are an all-season. "Damp" here is often still over 20 degrees (This week it's 26 and thunderstorms).

That said, I can't argue the Michelin Pilot Sports. I had them on my S4, fantastic tyre. Only problem was they they were not rated for snow, so if I wanted to avoid using chains, I had to put something else on. Now I'm not on snow any more, the Audi's suffering on corners. But at the cost of the tyre for how little I drive it, the PS is just too damned expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Anyone know a good place to buy new alloys?

The wheels on my TT are corroding so I was thinking of just replacing them with something lightweight.

Demontweeks seem reasonable with a good range and I know they have been around for ages but is there anywhere else I should look?

Also is there anywhere that does good reviews of wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Have you considered getting the original wheels refurbished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Have you considered getting the original wheels refurbished?

It is an option I suppose but I have read a lot saying that lightweight wheels make it a much better drive so I had been kind of thinking of that in the long term anyway.

If I thought I could pick some nice wheels somewhere for a reasonable price now though I would go with that rather than investing money into something I want to ultimately replace anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What model of TT is it?
    Also, if you go for lightweight wheels, they're generally easier to buckle on our fantastic roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

farna_boy wrote: »
    Anyone know a good place to buy new alloys?

[...] is there anywhere else I should look?

[...]

https://alloywheels.com/ and https://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/car-wheels.html

Bought from them couple of times, no issues. :)

Out of curiosity for car salesman I know it varies but for a salesman working for a main dealer middle of the road brand wise selling an average number of cars percentage wise how much of their salary is purely commission based vs. base wage. I am thinking it would be around 30% commission based but that's a pure guess.

Commission was multiples of basic if you were doing it right, back in the day anyway.
    Basic is usually quite low.

CIP4 wrote: »
    ......... I am thinking it would be around 30% commission based but that's a pure guess.

OTE of €50k could be almost 60% commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Low 20's basic in most places. Probably the same again for commission OTE I'd say.

Any salesman you ask says with commission has doing 70-80k gross p/a, so divide that by 2 for the actual number and he's making 40k a year on a good year.

Maybe some lads in big dealers are doing big numbers like that but a middle of the road lad in a middle of the road dealer I cant see doing wicked money.

You could probably tell by their demo too and the BIK amount, some lads driving a loaded Touareg, others in a middling Golf.

I don’t think BIK for car salesmen is actually linked to a vehicle. They used to do it that there was a nominal value put on a demo (think it was €20 or €25k) regardless of what you drove. That’s a while ago now.

Even when all this lockdown is over I could see new car sales being slow to pick up to the level they were at. What is currently happening will surely make a few rethink their finances and make them maybe buy a secondhand car as opposed to new. Maybe I am wrong hard to know I suppose it all depends on how well the Irish economy holds up.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t think BIK for car salesmen is actually linked to a vehicle. They used to do it that there was a nominal value put on a demo (think it was €20 or €25k) regardless of what you drove. That’s a while ago now.

The rates vary now, they are all relative to the value of the car where the value for motor trade BIK purposes is roughly half the market value.

BIC on a car for a normal Joe Soap doing no business miles (or very little) is 30% of the new price of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Low 20's basic in most places. Probably the same again for commission OTE I'd say.

Any salesman you ask says with commission has doing 70-80k gross p/a, so divide that by 2 for the actual number and he's making 40k a year on a good year.

Maybe some lads in big dealers are doing big numbers like that but a middle of the road lad in a middle of the road dealer I cant see doing wicked money.

You could probably tell by their demo too and the BIK amount, some lads driving a loaded Touareg, others in a middling Golf.

So is that grossing 80k before tax and 40k after tax or 40k gross?
    If the lower figures than I am surprised.

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »
    So is that grossing 80k before tax and 40k after tax or 40k gross?
    If the lower figures than I am surprised.

Most would say they are doing 80k ish gross and are actually (IMO) doing around 40k gross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ironically in a few months time in the middle of a recession is probably the best time to buy a new car. Lack of supply of cars registered during the last recession meant they held their values a little better once out the other end.

Anyone remember all the huge discounting manufacturers were doing?
    Clio for €9k, Megane for €14k, Fluence €15k? I30 €17k?
    Look at the list price of those models now.
    Clio €17k, Megane €23k, Megane saloon €27k, i30 €22k

Next thing is this comes back again for a year or so then goes - and that’s how you do well on depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Even when all this lockdown is over I could see new car sales being slow to pick up to the level they were at. What is currently happening will surely make a few rethink their finances and make them maybe buy a secondhand car as opposed to new. Maybe I am wrong hard to know I suppose it all depends on how well the Irish economy holds up.

Yes exactly.

The problem that caused it will be over - ie Coronavirus.

But economically youve got a 2008 style crash - and it will take time to come back.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Yes exactly.

The problem that caused it will be over - ie Coronavirus.

But economically youve got a 2008 style crash - and it will take time to come back.

Wouldn't be very nice if you had been living on the edge week to week financially for the last while and are now suddenly on 350 euro a week. It is tough for a lot people at least those with savings have some kind of buffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone remember all the huge discounting manufacturers were doing?
    Clio for €9k, Megane for €14k, Fluence €15k? I30 €17k?
    Look at the list price of those models now.
    Clio €17k, Megane €23k, Megane saloon €27k, i30 €22k

Next thing is this comes back again for a year or so then goes - and that’s how you do well on depreciation.

In 2011 bog standard Fluence was 12k,Megane was 11k and Clio was 8k. They shifted a lot of stock that way. Horrible depressing cars though

PsychoPete wrote: »
    In 2011 bog standard Fluence was 12k,Megane was 11k and Clio was 8k. They shifted a lot of stock that way. Horrible depressing cars though

Fluence was deffo €4500 off €20800 or €15800.
    Clio was 100% €8990, I remember that number!

You couldn’t actually get an €8990 at the time though as there were no 3 door red ones around.

Fluence was deffo €4500 off €20800 or €15800.
    Clio was 100% €8990, I remember that number!

You couldn’t actually get an €8990 at the time though as there were no 3 door red ones around.

Infairness 16K for a Fluence was good going plenty of people kept them for 5 plus years and they gave no trouble. Would of been a good buy really at that time really fuel efficient as well.

I bought my Leon FR in 2016 for 21,950 and I thought it was cheap at the time and at that it was a demo granted only 2k km on it. They were like 26,500 new at the time IIRC.

I remember having 6 month hire cars coming back costing us more than new cars.

The margin the distributors can throw at customers to gain market share is considerable.
    Amazingly customers will go back and pay way more for the same thing later.

Did you have to scrap a car back then to get them deals of Renault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Jaysus I remember the Fluence coming out and I thought it was only gorgeous! Don’t know what I was at

Yes. That made up €1250 of the discount in 2011.
    You could still get deals, but to get the really cheap ones you’d have to scrap. There were all sorts of creative ways to get around that too..

Nope

Oops
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65811224&postcount=1

Yes now that I think back my parents bought an Octavia in 2011 brand new granted was pre reg but with 0 km for 20k euro and that was the elegance spec with metallic paint and upgraded media system with sat nav. That was a truly great car I thought they spent nothing on it, cheap to run and really had the extras you would want it didn’t feel cheap. They traded it 6 years latter and got 13k for it on a trade in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I see the government has suspended the NCT , but the CVRT is out on the Range Rover and thus can't re-tax it which is out since yesterday, essential worker so no chance of leaving it at home, anything online saying they've stopped testing I can print out and bring with me incase.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement