Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I seen this topic was brought up on another thread on this forum before (and I have no doubt that it was brought up on other threads that I did not view). Of course there were the usual arrogant self proclaimed experts out there who believe they know it all subscribing to the thread.

Within all the noise off dumb responses and high horse brigade one guy who mentioned he worked in the Motor insurance industry and certainly came across as knowing his stuff noted that technically speaking the car you are driving does not need to have a separate insurance specifically on it. Of course as and aside it would need to be road worthy, up to date motor tax and also certificate of road worthiness as required.

Problem potentially arises when you aren't driving it, can you park on a public street and wander off shopping? Quite likely no.

The insurance policy offering the extension facility will stipulate does the other car need to be otherwise insured or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Stirling Moss has passed away. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Augeo wrote: »
    Problem potentially arises when you aren't driving it, can you park on a public street and wander off shopping? Quite likely no.

The insurance policy offering the extension facility will stipulate does the other car need to be otherwise insured or not.

That's a fair point but that makes it a personal risk where as having insurance while driving is a legal requirement.

To be honest, insured or not I'd rather my car wasnt broken Into or stolen, a lot of people dint even have fire and theft on their policies.

CianRyan wrote: »
    That's a fair point but that makes it a personal risk where as having insurance while driving is a legal requirement.

To be honest, insured or not I'd rather my car wasnt broken Into or stolen, a lot of people dint even have fire and theft on their policies.

I think it's a legal requirement to have a car insured if its parked in public also.

3rd party without fire & theft cover is a rarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Without tax and NCT youd be correct but once you have your own proof of insurance with you to display when approached then that should be sorted.
    As far as I know. A car parked in public does not have to have it's own insurance but I could be wrong.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Without tax and NCT youd be correct but once you have your own proof of insurance with you to display when approached then that should be sorted.
    As far as I know. A car parked in public does not have to have it's own insurance but I could be wrong.

If you drive a car or keep it on a public road in Ireland you must have at least third party car insurance.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/insurance/car-insurance/

The logic is simple, example....no insurance and the handbrake fails & causes an accident who compensates the 3rd parties involved?

An insurance disc is also a requirement....

5. (1) When a vehicle is used in a public place the insurance disc for the vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times after the expiry of 10 days from the date of authentication of the certificate of insurance.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just seen this picture and a few others on Facebook of a GTi. Look at the amount of room around the exhaust. From this picture I gather they use the same body on at least the GTI and R as there is all that space for the drive shaft of the R model.

92554599_1297624843776394_984022259289030656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=XW99nw1AzJQAX-k3dVZ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=6c1b49bef1b3d37a157bec4e95a6236a&oe=5EB8A0A6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think it’s generally a thing with MQB cars. Tunnel also gives rigidity.
    Stupid hump in the floor of my FWD Octavia too.
    Same body shell for all variants of a model I’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, that photo could be the underside of any VAG yoke from the last decade.

The R has a prop shaft in that space and diesels have a big centre silencer. Think that pic makes it look like a deceptively big space too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

That photo makes it look way more roomier than it is, here's a pic of the tunnel on my own - the pic shows how close the rear resonator is to the prop shaft.This is an aftermarket exhaust so the resonator isn't shaped to accommodate the driveshaft like the factory one.

IMG-1831.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Car is rotten dirty and has been for weeks. Feeling lazy lately and don't have the energy to go at it as busy with other things. This morning took one of the wheels off to see what kind of shape they are in.

IMG-20200413-134112.jpg

They are begining to look a little tired but still come up ok. Bit of white worm in places etc. I can get them professionally refurbed locally and they will be like new, and maybe then make sure no chemicals get at them. That'll cost prob 500 by the time I deal with tyre swaps etc.

Or I could buy a new set of replica wheels and maybe a set of springs but feel they sometimes cheapen a car if not done right, and IV little experience of this.
    Screenshot-20200413-142949.jpg
    I'll prob just do nothing again and only thinking out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Think what you have is the nicest wheel for them. The reps I wouldn't bother with personally. Probably wouldn't bother going for a polished face on yours either, they're constant grief.

That car looks far too felty for my liking, leave it as is , your car looks the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Squealing brakes on the way into work this morning. Pads are right down and need to be done pronto :/

Headlight bulb finally gave in too.

Fun times for this. I actually went as far and changed the oil and filters myself the other day now more to do !

• Advertisement

Cheers fellas, yeah I agree with what you're saying as I think the same. Suppose I'm looking at the idea of refurbing the wheels thinking there may be an opportunity here to get a different set. Even though the cut wheels are a pain to maintain, I think if I do something I'll get them recut as it suits the car imo. Having them painted dulls them alot. Still thinking about suspension too, but I know it makes little sense.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is anyone thinking of pausing their car insurance? We have 2 cars, and with the lockdown I haven't really been using mine. Insurance is up the end of the month. Any time we've gone out, we either walk or take the bikes.

beertons wrote: »
    Is anyone thinking of pausing their car insurance? We have 2 cars, and with the lockdown I haven't really been using mine. Insurance is up the end of the month. Any time we've gone out, we either walk or take the bikes.

What happens if they are stolen ? I wouldn't pause it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What happens if they get vandalized or stolen while parked up?

I'll suss it out more tomorrow. Seemingly I can downgrade to tpft, but I don't know if the no claims bonus is affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Went through a checkpoint today and there was no one behind me. Garda was asking me all sorts about my car in a good way he seemed quite interested in it. Asking what's it like to own, maintain run etc. Must of been at least 5 minutes talking away then he just wished me well and best of luck with it. On I went can't say I ever had that kind of experience at a checkpoint before.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I had a similar experience in the same model car as you CIP4 not long after I got it. It was late at night, no one else about, and he was all chat about the car and in awe of it. He too wished me the best of luck with it. Only time I’ve ever had a stop like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The last garda i spoke to warned me not to take my keys to bed with me as he had one stolen from him and the scum came into his bedroom for the keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Battery sales will be through the roof when this pandemic is over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The last garda i spoke to warned me not to take my keys to bed with me as he had one stolen from him and the scum came into his bedroom for the keys

The last garda I spoke to told me to change my side light bulbs as the blue colour they gave off could land me in court, despite passing the NCT for the last 3 years.
    He then proceeded to accuse me of not blowing in to the breathalyser properly, which turned out to be faulty in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vintage - Keep the BMW wheels. As was said, they look the part and suit the car.

If you do get them refurbed, after 2 weeks, take them off, decontaminate them and apply Gtechniq C5 wheel armour. This will make them super easy to clean meaning you can use Bilt Hamber AutoWheel to clean them...no brushes, no contact at all, just spray on and pressure wash off.

One reason for the whiteworm is wheel brushes creating tony scratches in the lacquer and the water gets in. Mine were covered in white worm before I bought it and there wasn't 1 single bit of kerbing on them. It was all from wheel brushes.

Battery sales will be through the roof when this pandemic is over...

There'll be no permanent damage done to any sound battery :)

There'll be no permanent damage done to any sound battery :)

Yes there will, short runs, left sitting, machines all over sites left, still got very cold nights etc.,..

Yes there will.........

What will happen them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What will happen them?

They'll get carona virus :pac:

• Advertisement

They'll get carona virus :pac:

Well I was going to say die.....

Lads getting amped up over a battrery debate - no doubt it'll be highly charged... but ultimately draining.

Right so.

Fully comp, 656.
    Tpft, 605.

I have to take out a policy for minimum of 28 days, then I can suspend it. I have to send a letter in stating that, along with the cert and insurance disc. Can be suspended indefinitely. Take photo of odometer on day of renewal and end of policy, making sure I don't do more than 5000km, as I could get 100 off next years policy. I have till friday at noon to figure something out.

I'll suss it out more tomorrow. Seemingly I can downgrade to tpft, but I don't know if the no claims bonus is affected.
    Right so.

Fully comp, 656.
    Tpft, 605.

There's no point doing this for the duration of the restrictions IMO.

I have till friday at noon to figure something out.

This made me laugh a bit....

high_noon_poster.jpg

Aye. Seemingly if I go tpft, my no claims bonus goes on as normal. But if I let it lapse, they'll hold it against me.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    This made me laugh a bit....

high_noon_poster.jpg

Peow peow

About car batteries. Mine is on the way out. I've used the car 3 or 4 times in the past at least 5 weeks and each time the battery was flat. And needed to be jump started. The battery isn't new looking and I have the car 3 years so who knows how old the battery is.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

My insurance was due and when I went to renew it said I stated the wrong number of penalty points and to call the nta on a number or email them so I called and I got a message to email them so I emailed them and after two weeks I got a response to confirm I was the license holder. I did so and still nothing a week on. Insurance has lapsed now as I don't know what the points were for and I can't renew. Load of balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can’t you justbsay you have whatever number of points then sort it out later?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Was doing some idle dreaming with the wife for when we have money again, and was browsing various car manufacturer websites. (We both like horsepower, our early dates consisted of car dealerships)

Is it me, or are Porsches offerings like Cayenne and Panamera overpriced (once you configure them) compared to their German rivals in Audi or Mercedes? I mean, the difference between a E63AMG Wagon, an RS6 Avant and a Panamera 4S Tourismo (which go Vroom at about the same speed) is several tens of thousands of dollars, and unlike the difference between Cadillac and Audi, I don't see the difference in the dollar spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Got my bulbs from power bulbs today

Replaced the pair, keeping one of the old ones as a spare (the working one ofcourse)

Happy with that !

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can’t you justbsay you have whatever number of points then sort it out later?

Unfortunately no they check a database now to check if you are telling fibs but they won't tell you what you're points are you have to find that out yourself from nta. I thought it was three but apparently that is incorrect.

I'll be on slicks by the time the restrictions are over...

IMG-20200415-181539.jpg

I'll be on slicks by the time the restrictions are over...

IMG-20200415-181539.jpg

You can get tyres replaced.....

• Advertisement

Yeah I know but slicks are faster etc, that's what they use in F1 sure.

Yeah I know but slicks are faster etc, that's what they use in F1 sure.

We are having the correct weather for them anyway now at the minute if driving around midday till evening.

Wouldn't recommend them early in the morning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Down to 300km till next service due even doing very little driving only really commuting to work I will still be gone a few 100km over by 5th of May if lockdown is extended much more than that might just park it up and use the parents Leon to get to work until dealers are back open. I should of just bit the bullet and got it serviced early while the dealers were still open.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Down to 300km till next service due even doing very little driving only really commuting to work I will still be gone a few 100km over by 5th of May if lockdown is extended much more than that might just park it up and use the parents Leon to get to work until dealers are back open. I should of just bit the bullet and got it serviced early while the dealers were still open.

I thought some were for essential maintenance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I thought some were for essential maintenance?

Essential repairs. A service wouldnt fall under that, otherwise every workshop in the country would be open at the minute.

The oil doesn't turn bad as soon as the "service in 0 kms" warning comes up. Exceeding a little will do no lasting harm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement