Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I think that was around 2011 maybe? Have a pic somewhere of filling up the E38 (85L tank) and it coming to €140! :eek:

Most I ever paid for petrol was €1.709 in Sep 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I think that was around 2011 maybe? Have a pic somewhere of filling up the E38 (85L tank) and it coming to €140! :eek:

I remember having to fill up an 80's american pickup a couple of years ago at 1.65 a litre. This pickup was the last of the carburetted 454ci (7.4 litre) V8 and did about 10 imperial MPG. It had the "long range tank" for ~400 miles range. The tank clicked off at 100 litres so I had to go in and pay for the first 100 litres, then resume filling. Pity - as the whole point of filling the tank was to get the photo of the total cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

i paid 1.359 in dundalk last week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What kind of ecxuse we gor this time for fuel prices? Who invaded who? Or who showed a finger to someone, and he is now pissed off so much that he got the tap turned off?

I am surprised there is no mentioning of it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

Up like a rocket and down like a feather as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

flatty wrote: »
    Up like a rocket and down like a feather as they say.

We're not talking about fuel anymore are we ?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I topped up the tank in the garage loan car earlier for 168.4

Stop yez whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

pajor wrote: »
    I topped up the tank in the garage loan car earlier for 168.4

Stop yez whinging.

Topping up the loan car is your first mistake :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

That loan A3 I had a few months ago was driving it a few days so put €10 diesel in it and it ended up going back with more fuel in it than what I got it with raging :pac:

CIP4 wrote: »
    That loan A3 I had a few months ago was driving it a few days so put €10 diesel in it and it ended up going back with more fuel in it than what I got it with raging :pac:

That's the problem with them :pac:.

Easiest way is to hand it over near empty, just before the fuel light and make it the customers duty to fill. Give it out full and asking for it to be returnd full is a mugs game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Not many customers have the decency to put fuel in a loan car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's the problem with them :pac:.

Easiest way is to hand it over near empty, just before the fuel light and make it the customers duty to fill. Give it out full and asking for it to be returnd full is a mugs game!

Used to have customers giving out when their free courtesy car didn’t have petrol in it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Used to have customers giving out when their free courtesy car didn’t have petrol in it.

Every single day. They just don't get it, even when you explain to them they are the ones going to be using it.

So they they kick up a stink, get the car for free, fuel for free and then they don't take the bait on any add on work because "they have a guy" for that. No wipers, no tyres, no pads, just the special offer oil change please and make sure the car is valeted.

**** off.

Anyway :pac:

• Advertisement

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Not many customers have the decency to put fuel in a loan car

I’d feel bad to drive one around and not put something in it at the end of the day if it was your own car you’d have to put fuel in it anyway.

First loan A4 I got had no fuel in it but they gave me a €20 voucher and said go next door and get diesel. But at that time I had brought the car to get something small checked out and turned out it needed a new clutch after only just getting it so they were threading carefully even though what fuel was in the loan car didn’t bother me. But at the same I brought it back with the same level of fuel in it as after I had put the €20 in it the first day.

Patww79 wrote: »

Oh yeah, sure they are a handy item to sell :pac:

On the flip side an awful lot of people do have poor wipers, they aren't not getting something for their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Arrested on suspicion of careless driving,you don't say.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216643185419991&id=1470942041

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Nah it was €6 something, it had used hardly anything. Garage asks to return it full, fair thing to do for an otherwise free loaner.

I took my mother's fiat 500 out to fill it for her a year or so back. It clicked full at about 20 euros.
    I figured it couldn't be right. It clicked again. So did I. I ended up covered in petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What the hell is that video, its mostly of the ground :confused:

Looks like the bus smashed all round it, either asleep, drunk or had their hat over their eyes would be my guess

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What the hell is that video, its mostly of the ground :confused:
    Looks like the bus smashed all round it, either asleep, drunk or had their hat over their eyes would be my guess
    If you watch it to the end I can see the bus driver forcing his way in where he/it's not wanted, is that it, do I win a prize?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't think he was drunk more like lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've done worse on GTA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

vn0kdbh.jpg

Spot the issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Spot the issue!

Both brake pads on the one side of the disc!?

Caliper isn't parallel with the discs. Oxidation/corrosion between the alloy caliper and the steel mountings have bent the caliper mounting bolts and skewed the caliper. There's two pads there alright, it's just off centre. It's going to be a right job to get those bolts off!

There's a fried egg in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Matt LeBlanc is leaving TopGear:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44320696

Wait, who's left then?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Patww79 wrote: »
    Harris and Reid. Being the BBC, without a shadow of a doubt the new presenter will be a woman.

Most likely a gender fluid the way things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Heading up north to have a look at a few cars Saturday morning. Anyone know if Charles Hurst Belfast and NI dealers in general are open to negotiation? Have a few cars to view but would be nice to know where I stand before I head up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Heading up north to have a look at a few cars Saturday morning. Anyone know if Charles Hurst Belfast and NI dealers in general are open to negotiation? Have a few cars to view but would be nice to know where I stand before I head up.

I would have thought you could negotiate with anyone as long as you don't completely take the piss

Finally got some replacement wheel nut covers only 4 months after two fell off got a good few so now have spares. Got them in my local dealer parts guy was delighted to point out how cheap they are at 79 cents each. To be fair it’s not too often you’d get anything in an Audi dealer for under €1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If garages in the North are anything like those in the rest of the UK, then you won't be able to haggle with them like you can here.

Garages in the rest of the UK will be open all day Saturday and many open on Sundays as well - not sure if that's the case in NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Finally got some replacement wheel nut covers only 4 months after two fell off got a good few so now have spares. Got them in my local dealer parts guy was delighted to point out how cheap they are at 79 cents each. To be fair it’s not too often you’d get anything in an Audi dealer for under €1.

Bargain! If only they could design ones that don’t fall off

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Bargain! If only they could design ones that don’t fall off

Lost two a week after getting it haven’t lost anymore since. Probably won’t lose anymore now that I have bought spares.

Lost two a week after getting it haven’t lost anymore since. Probably won’t lose anymore now that I have bought spares.
    People seem to steal these in my experience.
    Anything branded with the OEM logo seems to get stolen.
    A neighbour of mine had (no joking) OEM branded wipers that were stolen off his 6 month old dacia sandero and badly replaced with old broken wipers.

We have a lot of local hoodlums going around though in my area, the local police know who they are but can't do anything without catching them.

I'm thinking about putting CCTV on my gate as my bin was stolen the other week, only to be found in the front garden of my neighbour about 1 km down the road... rubbish and all.

• Advertisement

I had my wind deflectors stolen off my volvo and the windscreen wipers off a focus. I live in a nice estate that is used as a shortcut by some of Limericks least desirable inhabitants. Go figure.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure the golf had its 4 wheel covers stolen last year genuine VW ones.

My car has OE valve dust caps with the Audi logo on them and surprised I still have the four of them as obviously they would fit any Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

ELM327 wrote: »
    People seem to steal these in my experience.
    Anything branded with the OEM logo seems to get stolen.
    A neighbour of mine had (no joking) OEM branded wipers that were stolen off his 6 month old dacia sandero and badly replaced with old broken wipers.

We have a lot of local hoodlums going around though in my area, the local police know who they are but can't do anything without catching them.

I'm thinking about putting CCTV on my gate as my bin was stolen the other week, only to be found in the front garden of my neighbour about 1 km down the road... rubbish and all.

Should have tipped the rubbish in his lawn at night and set it on fire.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Should have tipped the rubbish in his lawn at night and set it on fire.
    No it wasn't the neighbour's fault... it looked like someone else had stolen it (local hoodlums suspected...:mad:) and pushed it down the road/towed it in a car down the road... and thrown it into the guys front yard spraying my rubbish everywhere.

Had to go and give him a hand cleaning it up.

I think I can trump that. I was on the way to work this morning down a country road (enough not to have a white line), and in the middle was an obviously stolen and abandoned massive mobile home. Still had the for sale sign in the window. Think the thieves had caught it in the hedgerow and snapped the trailer hitch. It was causing mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had the front fog light bracket robbed from my old Passat CC on my driveway one night by scrotes. The part cost €40 from VW. Anything from the VAG stable is seen as a magnet to the scrotes down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

When I got the M-Performance bootlip spoiler for mine I came out to it after being in visiting to find it half hanging from the bootlid. Someone tried to pry it off but stopped, not before causing damage to it and the bootlid with whatever he used. The paint shop who did it for me originally resprayed it and shipped it to me for free.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I had the front fog light bracket robbed from my old Passat CC on my driveway one night by scrotes. The part cost €40 from VW. Anything from the VAG stable is seen as a magnet to the scrotes down here.

Sit on William st for an hour and you'll probably see the car it made it on to.. I would love a 335d or similiar but I reckon short of locking it away everynight it would be robbed in no time down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

My tax expired yesterday. Usually I just tax a car for 12 months and be done with it but I'm considering moving this car over the next month or two so figured I'd tax it for three months.

I knew there was a slight increase in cost per month doing this compared with 12 months, that they could try and justify with extra admin and postage of 4 tax renewals in a year vs 1. But Jesus, if ye pay quarterly they want an extra 170 quid for the privilege.

Screenshot_20180601-180420.png

How they can stand over that is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

vintagevrs wrote: »
    My tax expired yesterday. Usually I just tax a car for 12 months and be done with it but I'm considering moving this car over the next month or two so figured I'd tax it for three months.

I knew there was a slight increase in cost per month doing this compared with 12 months, that they could try and justify with extra admin and postage of 4 tax renewals in a year vs 1. But Jesus, if ye pay quarterly they want an extra 170 quid for the privilege.

How they can stand over that is a joke

It's mad, makes no sense for me to tax a full year at €1809 and the difference between taxing it for a half year at €1,003 instead of quarterly is so small that I may as well tax it quarterly at €511 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement