Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The idle up on those only works when the engine is cold, so it's mainly to keep the heater working well in really cold conditions where the engine is idling, and to heat up the engine quicker.

Original model Avensis TD had this too, but it was activated by turning the fan speed to 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friendly of mine very quickly got 12k for a 07 LWB with low KMs.

I was trying to trade in a 131 Cruiser LWB new model with the last of the 3.0 engine and I was offered a blank cheque to get it by one of the traders.

There’s just nothing like them to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've heard of them engines going bang on quite a few land cruiser....

Probably the one where the oil wasn’t changed in 300,000kms because “Its a Toyota”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've heard of them engines going bang on quite a few land cruiser....

The 3.0d4d engine will sludge if it's not half maintained. There's a gauze on the pickup that gets clogged and will eventually starve the engine of oil. If the injector seals are dodgey this process is accelerated by carbon buildup.

They're solid machines but need looking after. Change the oil regularly and drop the sump every so often (3rd or 4th service should do) and they'll last well.

The mid to late 90's is the 4x4 workhorse golden era.
    3.0td Landcruiser
    2.4td Hilux
    3.1 Trooper
    2.8td Fourtrak
    2.5td Pajero

Rust is the killer though

& Nissan Patrol

400k km 2008 that's well used looking, asking 9k.....
    https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Landcruiser-LAND-CRUISER-RC-LC--LWB-GX-AUTO/202002197486747

Same dealer has a 201 reg with 100kms on it for roughly the rrp €45k...
    https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Landcruiser-LC-LWB-GX-5DR---PRICE-INCLUDES-VAT--FINANCE-ARRANG/202004178978673

There doesn't seem to be a cheap one advertised.... I reckon the residuals are indeed tremendous, accepting there might be a bit of haggle room.

A couple of hundred quid could transform that 08. Looks a pig in the pictures I’d say it’s 10 time’s worse in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New v8 diesel lump for the Touareg:

Interesting decision by VW to invest in a new v8 diesel engine given the populous opinion seems to be that diesel's days are numbered.

• Advertisement

And considering their efforts in electric car production. It proves that one size doesn’t fit all.

It'll likely be used in Porsche also :)

Anyone able to recommend a 'cash for cars' type outfit? I have an old Mondeo sitting up. Lots of scumbags in my area, so dont want to list it for sale as I don't want to see it getting the bollocks drove out of it at 2am and see it on fire a week later (probably unlikely to happen in fairness, but something I'd be conscious of nonetheless).

What do people generally pay for old balls of sh/te? i presume it's generally in and around the €100 mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I work with a chap who had someone come and take away his unused car and he got €80 for it so you're right about the rough estimate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I was thinking petrol was the cheapest I've seen it in 20 years, at an astonishing buck thirty a gallon.

Then a chap on my Facebook feed in Kentucky posted up that he tanked up 21 US Gallons for $8.40 (With photo to prove it). For most of you, at current exchange rates, that's about 80litres for EUR 7.76.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It only dropped by a small bit in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Then a chap on my Facebook feed in Kentucky posted up that he tanked up 21 US Gallons for $8.40 (With photo to prove it). For most of you, at current exchange rates, that's about 80litres for EUR 7.76.

I'd guess that's a fairly low RON?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

I was thinking petrol was the cheapest I've seen it in 20 years, at an astonishing buck thirty a gallon.

I thought I was doing well yesterday with €1.209 per litre of unleaded!

It only dropped by a small bit in this country.

I bought unleaded at €0.99/litre in Feb 2007.
    I've old records back to 1999 but they are in my Dad's house and I can't go there at the moment ......... but as you say, we've not dropped loads here.

Unleaded peaked at iirc €1.499 ish in just before Christmas and is €1.29 now in most places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd guess that's a fairly low RON?
    US stuff is usually around 90 RON isn't it?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    US stuff is usually around 90 RON isn't it?

I think a lower number is available.

It'll just show you how much tax is on a litre of fuel here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

52c a litre here, the prices are announced and set monthly. No price for May just yet. Not that I can drive anywhere, considering our Jeep is stuck in a yard still waiting to be fixed.

Marked gas oil is 45c a litre here, which gives you an idea how much extra tax is on road diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Would any Petrol stations sell Snow Foam?

I'm waiting on an order from Amazon (via Parcel Motel), but would love to give the car a wash today (mitt just arrived, and the lance arrived last week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

1.09 for diesel here but it’s like a baldy man winning a hairbrush.
    I last put fuel in back on March 16th. I’ve done 81 miles since then!

Would any Petrol stations sell Snow Foam?

I'm waiting on an order from Amazon (via Parcel Motel), but would love to give the car a wash today (mitt just arrived, and the lance arrived last week).

You'd be lucky to find bargain basement "snowfoam" in a petrol station. If so it'll be CarPlan Demon Foam which is utter scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

If micksgarage have any you might be lucky to get some on a next day delivery ?

I'd hope to have the Amazon order by Wednesday at the latest, so will hold off til then.

Ordered the Turtle Wax snow foam..

TW foam got an ok review from Forensic Detailing. Pity you didn't go for Bilt Hamber. It's the best I've used and having used it for the last few washes, I prefer using it instead of Gtechniq W4.

I'm sure given time, I'll end up getting better foams, as I'm sure the Karcher lance I got will need to be replaced with a better one!!

Although I'm no pro detailer, but just looking for something for pre-washing the new car to help get 'some' dirt off to try and protect the paintwork as best I can for the main wash.
    (Why do I always check out all the reviews for things after buying them?....)

I've been buying car cleaning stuff on these guys for a few years and find them good especially when the euro/sterling conversation rate is decent - https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/

Reordered the Bilt Hamber snow foam from them about 2 or 3 weeks ago as I was running low, ordered it on a Monday and it was at my door by DHL on the Friday which I thought was pretty good given the current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm sure given time, I'll end up getting better foams, as I'm sure the Karcher lance I got will need to be replaced with a better one!!

Although I'm no pro detailer, but just looking for something for pre-washing the new car to help get 'some' dirt off to try and protect the paintwork as best I can for the main wash.
    (Why do I always check out all the reviews for things after buying them?....)

The karcher bottle is useless for foam....

Get yourself the proper brass fitting type, I got mine on AliExpress. Worked out a ⅓ of the price.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've been buying car cleaning stuff on these guys for a few years and find them good especially when the euro/sterling conversation rate is decent - https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/

Reordered the Bilt Hamber snow foam from them about 2 or 3 weeks ago as I was running low, ordered it on a Monday and it was at my door by DHL on the Friday which I thought was pretty good given the current situation.

Slims have some superb value for money. For instance their crawler that folds into a stool (I ordered that last week), the detailing stool and their hoover are all unreal value.

Even stuff like proper 3M masking tape is very reasonable.

If you shop with them regularly then you can earn points that you can redeem off future purchases too. They also do discount promotions regularly, they were doing 10% off at Easter when I bought the snow foam. Even with just UK shipping included I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere over here. I usually throw in a few microfiber towels or polish applicator pads with my order too as the shipping price is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Considering replacing the 4 shocks and springs on the car for a Bilstein B12 kit, which apparently for anyone who has done this really recommends it.

Had it in my basket today as autodoc have a discount until midnight, and it was £575ish delivered, back up to £875 now as out of stock ffs.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy this sort of stuff, or any experience with same?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I think a lower number is available.

It'll just show you how much tax is on a litre of fuel here.

Lowest in the US is 91 RON. As is their way with just about everything, the US uses a different system to us. They use the average of AKI and RON.

So '87 octane' is equivalent to 91 RON. The highest you can get there is '93 octane', which is the same as Super Unleaded when you used to be able to buy it here (98 RON). 91 octane in the US is equivalent to 95 RON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lowest in the US is 91 RON. As is their way with just about everything, the US uses a different system to us. They use the average of AKI and RON.

So '87 octane' is equivalent to 91 RON. The highest you can get there is '93 octane', which is the as Super Unleaded when you used to be able to buy it here (98 RON). 91 octane in the US is equivalent to 95 RON.

They also sell e85 over there. Must be good stuff as the guys I watch are using it on the likes of 2jz's and k20's turbo'd and making massive power.

They are obviously tuning the cars to run on that fuel which is 85% ethanol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They also sell e85 over there. Must be good stuff as the guys I watch are using it on the likes of 2jz's and k20's turbo'd and making massive power.

They are obviously tuning the cars to run on that fuel which is 85% ethanol.

E85 is over 100 RON, you can turn the boost all the way up to 11 and not worry about knock. Savage stuff, shame it isn't sold here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So '87 octane' is equivalent to 91 RON. The highest you can get there is '93 octane', which is the as Super Unleaded when you used to be able to buy it here (98 RON). 91 octane in the US is equivalent to 95 RON.
    You can actually get 85 octane in some states
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml
    This is approx 89 RON

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Considering replacing the 4 shocks and springs on the car for a Bilstein B12 kit, which apparently for anyone who has done this really recommends it.

Heard good things about the B12 kit with the eibach springs. Where you going for the sport set up which has a 40mm drop or the 25mm kit? Priced here for your F31 fairly reasonable, not as good as the offer you missed out on.

40mm front, 35mm rear.
    https://www.federn-werk.de/p/eibach-bilstein-b12-sportfahrwerk-or-40mm-or-bmw-3er-f31-touring

25mm front and rear
    https://www.federn-werk.de/p/eibach-bilstein-b12-sportfahrwerk-or-30mm-or-bmw-3er-f31-touring-or-mit-abe

This guy seems very happy with the set up, pity the pics were removed.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636506

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

There are few things more annoying than a snapped bolt.
    Was removing the bonnet hinges on the DC2 shell to wire wheel the crusty off and got 3 bolts out fine. Number 4? Not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Tazzimus wrote: »
    There are few things more annoying than a snapped bolt.
    Was removing the bonnet hinges on the DC2 shell to wire wheel the crusty off and got 3 bolts out fine. Number 4? Not so much.

Finally got around to fitting the fidanza flywheel to my turbo starlet and of course two of the bolts sheared. I didn't think I knew that many curse words

Wailin wrote: »
    Heard good things about the B12 kit with the eibach springs. Where you going for the sport set up which has a 40mm drop or the 25mm kit? Priced here for your F31 fairly reasonable, not as good as the offer you missed out on.

40mm front, 35mm rear.
    https://www.federn-werk.de/p/eibach-bilstein-b12-sportfahrwerk-or-40mm-or-bmw-3er-f31-touring

25mm front and rear
    https://www.federn-werk.de/p/eibach-bilstein-b12-sportfahrwerk-or-30mm-or-bmw-3er-f31-touring-or-mit-abe

This guy seems very happy with the set up, pity the pics were removed.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636506

Thanks for the links. Getting the right part no can be tricky as engine size (weight) and xdrive(again weight) is compensated for on the spring rates. The 2nd link you sent looks spot on.

The lesser of the drops as the front lip will cause issue otherwise I would say. Was hoping to try and get them all for 600 but maybe wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Spotted a 201 D 911 reg Porsche - nice!

tricky D wrote: »
    Spotted a 201 D 911 reg Porsche - nice!

My fantasy car right there! Out of boredom I specced one up on the configurator last night. With the spec I chose, it only came to €310,000. I'll break open the piggy bank once we're back on our feet :D

49829292927_866137a6d6_c.jpg
    49828980151_d960331cbd_c.jpg
    49829292932_59d8402c21_c.jpg
    49828980271_905a7e28b5_c.jpg
    49828450198_5c783a72f2_c.jpg

Has to have the nicest rear of any car on the road today.

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The lesser of the drops as the front lip will cause issue otherwise I would say. Was hoping to try and get them all for 600 but maybe wishful thinking.

I would go for the b12 kit for my own f10 as well only it has the adaptive dampers which makes things a bit tricky. I bought the eibach springs instead before xmas but never got around to having them fitted. It's only a 20mm drop which is all I want to improve the looks and handling.

I forgot yours was x-drive so not sure if those kits are suitable, certainly not the first one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Seems the car insurance refunds will come in around the €30 mark. Probably not as much as many would have hoped for but certainly better than nothing. Will be interesting to see do all the insurers go in on it. Aviva haven't committed to anything so far.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0428/1135293-liberty-insurance-rebates/

"Each customer will receive 15% of their existing premium for two months, provided this reaches a minimum amount of €10"....

That's equal to 2.5%. Cheap publicity for them, such great corporate responsibility..... hardly worth the effort.

All the admin cost of dealing with individual customers for this is silly. Just keep the money and be more competitive in future.

Insurance renewal in the post this morning, €903 ffs. Up again from last year for no reason whatsoever.So much for covid reductions considering the car is hardly driven.

This is with FBD, whom I'm with a few years now so no loyalty bonus either by the looks of it. ****!

Insurance companies rarely reward loyalty. They also tend to practice dual pricing when it comes to renewal quotes versus new quotes. As pain staking as it can be, shopping around is probably a good way of killing a few hours as well as saving a few quid at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement