Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

CIP4 wrote: »
    Seems the car insurance refunds will come in around the €30 mark...........

We are only a month into it really.
    Folk still have their car insured and most are still using it to an extent. Anyone expecting much more was delirious with something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

bazz26 wrote: »
    Insurance companies rarely reward loyalty. They also tend to practice dual pricing when it comes to renewal quotes versus new quotes. As pain staking as it can be, shopping around is probably a good way of killing a few hours as well as saving a few quid at the moment.

First place I tried after getting the letter was Aviva and €730. I've always had this with fbd and when I ring them they do bring it down close to the lowest quote I've gotten elsewhere. But I doubt they can match the above or even close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wailin wrote: »
    Insurance renewal in the post this morning, €903 ffs. Up again from last year for no reason whatsoever.So much for covid reductions considering the car is hardly driven.

This is with FBD, whom I'm with a few years now so no loyalty bonus either by the looks of it. ****!
    Just renewed ,was with liberty, quotes went from e994-e364. Crazy makes no sense whatsoever, quote devil got me the cheapest via Zurich

60,full NCB , no accident/ windscreen/ points etc etc
    1.3 no modifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wailin wrote: »
    First place I tried after getting the letter was Aviva and €730. I've always had this with fbd and when I ring them they do bring it down close to the lowest quote I've gotten elsewhere. But I doubt they can match the above or even close to it.

That drives me nuts, why don't they give their lowest or close to lowest price (to allow for a bit of haggling) in the first place? They practice dual pricing in the hope that people will just auto renew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Got a call from Aviva today wondering about renewing my policy as it is up in 2 days. Infairness they were grand I just told them I went elsewhere as it was cheaper and the only thing they asked me was who I went with that was it.

What I find with car insurance it’s like a lot of other business. Whenever I get quotes with a lot of companies you see a pattern the vast majority of companies will price around the same that’s what you could consider the actual cost for your situation. Then you will get one or two companies price high sometimes outrageous high as they simply don’t want your business as maybe the bracket you are falling into has a high claim rate for them at the minute or they just are selling plenty of policies already.

Then you get the one or two companies that completely undercut everyone. Which more than likely the reason they price so low is not because they see you as lower risk than the other companies but because at that time they simply need to sell policies to take in money. Every business needs cash flow on the good months they will raise the quotes a bit on the bad months they will drop them. They are trying to average out their workload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hi folks,

Is there any glue that could work for a headlight? Have a tiny crack along the top of one of the headlights and it's allowing a load of moisture in when it's wet. Clouds up the whole unit

On the insurance topic mine is up for renewal next week. Was 1050 last year, got in down to 536 today! Literally halved. Very surprised, and I'm still a "high risk" young category

On the insurance topic mine is up for renewal next week. Was 1050 last year, got in down to 536 today! Literally halved. Very surprised, and I'm still a "high risk" young category

Are you under 25 ? Was that on the Golf ?

Are you under 25 ? Was that on the Golf ?

Yes and yes!

Yes and yes!

That’s a good price so it seems. Back when I had my A4 I got insurance for €640 which was the cheapest I ever paid granted I am not far off that now.

• Advertisement

Just had another quote of €620 compared to my current insurers quote of €903. They really must not want my business anymore.

That’s a good price so it seems. Back when I had my A4 I got insurance for €640 which was the cheapest I ever paid granted I am not far off that now.

Ya very good, now I might have to pay a little extra to get tp extension but I think with it, it's still 606. Not complaining!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is that a teacher thing? I’m paying more than that and I’m 38.

This is what lockdown does :pac:
    Messing around in photoshop fantasizing about driving the car :cool:

49835409787_23b09f5f04_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That drives me nuts, why don't they give their lowest or close to lowest price (to allow for a bit of haggling) in the first place? They practice dual pricing in the hope that people will just auto renew.

Fairly sure they openly admit there are X percent of certain demographics that as you say don’t price around and just auto renew. Pretty scummy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I insured my Golf R for €455. Was happy out with that! Never had insurance on a car before that was cheaper than the tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Also speaking of insurance, are there any negative things to consider if I want to cancel a policy 3 months before expiry and start a new one? Apart from the loss of a years no claims and money. Reason being current insurer won’t swap my policy onto another car, but another company will quote me on it. I feel like companies here will use it as a reason to quote me higher premiums in the future.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I insured my Golf R for €455. Was happy out with that! Never had insurance on a car before that was cheaper than the tax

How in the Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

hooch-85 wrote: »

Been that way for me for the past two years:pac:, though I suppose the car is €1080 to tax, so probably easier for me to achieve this feat than for most people:pac:!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How in the Jaysus

1.6 on the book lad!

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Also speaking of insurance, are there any negative things to consider if I want to cancel a policy 3 months before expiry and start a new one? Apart from the loss of a years no claims and money. Reason being current insurer won’t swap my policy onto another car, but another company will quote me on it. I feel like companies here will use it as a reason to quote me higher premiums in the future.

Did the other company take into account that the loss of your 12 months NCB? They can be very sticky on gaps between policies especially around cancellations. The initial quote might not consider this but when you go to take out the policy they might inquire further. They might have you jumping through hoops with your last insurance company to provide a reason why your current policy was cancelled mid term.

How in the Jaysus

I got a quote of under €500 on a GTi PP last year, renewed the 530d for €700, some quoted over 1k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

PsychoPete wrote: »
    1.6 on the book lad!

That and is classed as a retired pilot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did the other company take into account that the loss of your 12 months NCB? They can be very sticky on gaps between policies especially around cancellations. The initial quote might not consider this but when you go to take out the policy they might inquire further. They might have you jumping through hoops with your last insurance company to provide a reason why your current policy was cancelled mid term.

Done it about 14 or 15 years ago. Didn't have any issues.

That's a long time when it comes to insurance companies and them moving goal posts.

• Advertisement

It’s actually through the same broker, but they’re getting the new quote from a different company. I’m thinking it’ll end up being more hassle than it’s worth alright, knowing the industry in this country.

Done it about 14 or 15 years ago. Didn't have any issues.

Were you ever questioned on it when getting quotes in the years after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Were you ever questioned on it when getting quotes in the years after?

No. But as bazz said it could be different now. But sure if you are questioned just tell them the truth your current insurer would not quote on the car so I changed to another. It would be more common than you think people doing that.

Hi folks,

Is there any glue that could work for a headlight? Have a tiny crack along the top of one of the headlights and it's allowing a load of moisture in when it's wet. Clouds up the whole unit

If you can get your hands on Mitre Fast you'll be laughing. We have a local hire company here called Ace Hire and you can buy it off them for a tenner.

It's glue that gives you 10 seconds after you spray the activator, and then it just solidifies (or plasticises which i think is the correct term). It's the strongest glue I've ever come across, and I'm confident it'd work for that.

Failing that, you could silicone it, but that'd be messier looking, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've found when pricing insurance, as soon as they hear you are with Cornmarket already they just say "We can't beat them, there's no point in even quoting you"

I've the 2006 S60 still insured as I don't want to let the policy lapse and get hammered when I come home. €710 and I suspend it so get a credit back for next years renewal. I was quoted 3k by another company and I have zero points. The wife paid roughly the same for her 4 series. We reckon it's cheaper keep them paid than lapsing them as we won't be back until July 2022 at least and don't want to be hammered with no NCB.
    The Cherokee was about €500 fully comp for the year with full cover in all Gulf States. (An expensive add on for some reason)

• Advertisement

How in the Jaysus

Perhaps i'm low risk? 34, full NCB, full license 15 years, wife on the policy, accountant, living in the sticks, no points.

An Post beat everyone by a country mile. I was paying approx 700 on a GTD last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

I had to do this last year. Liberty wouldn't insure me on the new car as I was under 30 but another company would. Was roughly 3 months away from the full year. Easy swap over, just got the NCB cert and cancellation docs from old policy and sent them to new insurer. Lost the year of ncb, but the policy on the new car was still cheaper than the old one so didn't bother me.

Renewal time this year and had no issue. Got sent the renewal package with the correct number of ncb years (minus the one I lost). Did my research, haggled 200 quid off the renewal price and stayed with the same insurer.

No, there was cornmarket, but Fbd and AXA proved to be cheaper.

If you can get your hands on Mitre Fast you'll be laughing. We have a local hire company here called Ace Hire and you can buy it off them for a tenner.

It's glue that gives you 10 seconds after you spray the activator, and then it just solidifies (or plasticises which i think is the correct term). It's the strongest glue I've ever come across, and I'm confident it'd work for that.

Failing that, you could silicone it, but that'd be messier looking, I reckon.

Thanks, ya I've used it loads before but never thought of it, and never on plastic. It doesn't cloud on clear plastic when set I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

123 must have been on their get new policies phase when the missus and myself got quotes off them; Her policy was halved and mine wasn't far behind it, best Axa were able to do was knock €100 of the initial quote, which was still about €200 ish more than 123's.

€474 on a car which is now in the "10 years old, automatically a risk, lets load it" category, actually got a few quotes of over €2000 as well.

No. But as bazz said it could be different now. But sure if you are questioned just tell them the truth your current insurer would not quote on the car so I changed to another. It would be more common than you think people doing that.
    Austmcc wrote: »
    I had to do this last year. Liberty wouldn't insure me on the new car as I was under 30 but another company would. Was roughly 3 months away from the full year. Easy swap over, just got the NCB cert and cancellation docs from old policy and sent them to new insurer. Lost the year of ncb, but the policy on the new car was still cheaper than the old one so didn't bother me.

Renewal time this year and had no issue. Got sent the renewal package with the correct number of ncb years (minus the one I lost). Did my research, haggled 200 quid off the renewal price and stayed with the same insurer.

Nice one, thanks lads.

...........with Cornmarket.........

I've the 2006 S60 still insured as I don't want to let the policy lapse and get hammered when I come home. €710 ...........The wife paid roughly the same for her 4 series. ............

If ye are over 25 with full NCB that doesn't appear to be out of the way cheap?
    The €3k you were quoted was loony, I suppose the S60 is over 10 .......... funny ole game is insurance I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'm with Cornmarket, 770 best I could do. I found the Golf R was an odd one too, my insurance in 2015 was sub 500 too when I had one. I thought it was at the time that they were under the radar a bit with the insurance companies but they are well known now, and also a target for theft so less than 500 now is great price. That front sensor on cars now for preventing slow collisions I believe helps lower their risk a lot as it avoids a lot of small tips that no doubt cost a lot as they are common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The0ne

Before you go down the cancellation route Ciano,there is another option. Purchase the new car and when it's in your name tell your current insurer. I've been through it with Liberty and AXA so can only speak for them but each time they have refused cover on a new car, Ive sent in proof of ownership and they have provided cover.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'm with Cornmarket, 770 best I could do. I found the Golf R was an odd one too, my insurance in 2015 was sub 500 too when I had one. I thought it was at the time that they were under the radar a bit with the insurance companies but they are well known now, and also a target for theft so less than 500 now is great price. That front sensor on cars now for preventing slow collisions I believe helps lower their risk a lot as it avoids a lot of small tips that no doubt cost a lot as they are common.

The GTD had a lot of the same tech with radar cruise etc. Perhaps the car being 4WD helps, there's probably a lot less R's being crashed than GTi/D's. The age demographic of drivers is a good bit older too, anywhere from mid 30's to 60's. I know of very little lads in their 20's driving them. The risk of theft is highly dependent on your location too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

From what I've read, if you do have a tip or anything happens the sensor, it's very pricey to have it recalibrated.

vintagevrs wrote: »

I have that on the Skoda and was told it makes no difference :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Augeo wrote: »
    If ye are over 25 with full NCB that doesn't appear to be out of the way cheap?
    The €3k you were quoted was loony, I suppose the S60 is over 10 .......... funny ole game is insurance I suppose.

My wife is late 20s, I'm early 30s. E36 renewal just came in. €240 fully comp.

The0ne wrote: »
    Before you go down the cancellation route Ciano,there is another option. Purchase the new car and when it's in your name tell your current insurer. I've been through it with Liberty and AXA so can only speak for them but each time they have refused cover on a new car, Ive sent in proof of ownership and they have provided cover.

Thanks, I already own the car and they know this but they still won’t entertain me.

I should be on a boat today going to Germany for 5 days at the Nurburgring :( Instead I have a busy weekend in work to look forward too. No doubt things could be far worse but still a little disappointing.

OSI wrote: »
    I dunno, a certain Irish based German car enthusiast Facebook group leads me to believe there are plenty of 20 something lads running heavily modified Rs and driving them like utter dickheads.

There are a few alright, but they are in every enthusiasts group really.

In general the older lads that have them have worked hard for them and respect what they have, that's the case for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/industry/opinion-how-lockdown-has-hit-wider-car-industry

Scary how much money the lockdown costs the car manufacturers plus they won't meet emissions targets now.

Was working all day so didn't get to look into the government announcement in much detail. Anything said about Service departments reopening are they included in stuff opening on the 18th of May ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Repair shops are allowed open from 18 May so I assume the answer to that is yes.

Mind you, judging by my facebook, a fair few garages were doing things that were definitely not valid reasons for being open this week (and in some cases, previous weeks), by that I mean it was way beyond essential maintenance even for keyworkers :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

GF's place has seemingly been selling cars the last few weeks, despite them being closed..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement