Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

CIP4 wrote: »
    Seems the car insurance refunds will come in around the €30 mark. Probably not as much as many would have hoped for but certainly better than nothing. Will be interesting to see do all the insurers go in on it. Aviva haven't committed to anything so far.

a €35 one 4 all voucher from FBD :cool: if that's all they're giving i think they need the money more than i do

here stick it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just passed 180k km on the avensis still going strong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

fryup wrote: »
    a €35 one 4 all voucher from FBD :cool: if that's all they're giving i think they need the money more than i do

here stick it!

I would've voted for a percentage of your premium personally

Now we're all getting 30/35 euros so regardless if your insurance cost you 400 euro or 1,400 euro you're getting the same.

Bit unfair I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've been with them for 10years + and not so much as a whimper out of me, and all they give is a measly 35 quid ?? i would have had more respect for them if they gave me nothing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I have that on the Skoda and was told it makes no difference :(

Had to make some difference, otherwise it wouldn't be a feature?

https://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/study-says-vws-safety-systems-actively/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

i've been with them for 10years + and not so much as a whimper out of me, and all they give is a measly 35 quid ?? i would have had more respect for them if they gave me nothing tbh

That’s as high as I have heard any of them give. I suppose they were never going to give out huge money as your car is still insured and you are still free to drive it from their point of view anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

There in lies your problem I reckon. Did you properly shop around every year and if you did then did they provide the most competitive quote on each renewal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Had to make some difference, otherwise it wouldn't be a feature?

https://www.carscoops.com/2015/05/study-says-vws-safety-systems-actively/

I mean it makes no difference to the price of my premium. It’s already saved my ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Tazzimus wrote: »
    GF's place has seemingly been selling cars the last few weeks, despite them being closed..

How are they doing test drives and hand overs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

carsfan2 wrote: »
    How are they doing test drives and hand overs?

No idea, she only found out they were doing it the other day, she hasn't been in since they "closed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

See some guy crashed a M4 in the UK police said his tyres were below the limit Michelin pilot sport cup,he disagrees

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8277097/amp/Trader-24-wrote-40-000-BMW-M4-M3-slammed-police-illegal-tyres.html

Doesn't look like 1.6mm on the inner shoulder thread or 4mm on the outer shoulder.

Great advertisement for the somewhat decent (totally unethical though) instagram scam they have going. They've lads like you'd see hanging around pubs & betting offices clad in tracksuits claiming to be making a living trading currency. Their girlfriends are utter swamp donkeys also. Preying on folk who are totally clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Picked up two Uniroyle Rainsport 5s the other day, the P7 Pirellis had gone to **** on both shoulders due to previous owner not keeping them correctly inflated as well as being 45 opposed to 40 on the side walls.

Other than the comfort improvements by ditching the run flats it's too early to tell what there like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Picked up two Uniroyle Rainsport 5s the other day, the P7 Pirellis had gone to **** on both shoulders due to previous owner not keeping them correctly inflated as well as being 45 opposed to 40 on the side walls.

Other than the comfort improvements by ditching the run flats it's too early to tell what there like.

I had a P7 do the same and it deflated a few PSI for no length, I'll be very interested to see how you get on because I nearly ordered a set but decided on Kumhos after. The P7 were £170 per corner from camskill..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Anyone experience in painting brake calipers? I've decided it's my next job as they are really letting the car down. Watched enough youtube videos on it and am confident to give it a go. Just wondering what brand of heat resistant paint to use. I'm thinking of going with either black or the dark blue common on most bmw calipers.

49851888651_0d522fed02_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Truckermal wrote: »
    I had a P7 do the same and it deflated a few PSI for no length, I'll be very interested to see how you get on because I nearly ordered a set but decided on Kumhos after. The P7 were £170 per corner from camskill..:(

I paid 360 for four 19" P7s off a wholesaler

Truckermal wrote: »

Only reason for not going ahead with the kumhos was because the rears have a poorer rating that the fronts. Uniroyles are the same back and front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Wailin wrote: »
    Anyone experience in painting brake calipers? I've decided it's my next job as they are really letting the car down. Watched enough youtube videos on it and am confident to give it a go. Just wondering what brand of heat resistant paint to use. I'm thinking of going with either black or the dark blue common on most bmw calipers.

Ye could buy these as they are already painted :)

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/BMW-F10-M5-Brake-Calipers-F06-F12-F13-M6-Blue-Brembo-Front-rear-FAST-SHIPPING/283779512281?hash=item421293b7d9:g:U9AAAOSw1PxeQwdy

Can you still pay for motor tax online and have the disc posted out as normal ? My car tax is either expired the end of this month or next I have to check tomorrow.

Can you still pay for motor tax online and have the disc posted out as normal ? My car tax is either expired the end of this month or next I have to check tomorrow.

Yep. Unless things have changed in the last three weeks with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

EUR 1,450? He's as well off doing them himself. They shouldn't be too hard to disconnect, the issue he's going to have is making sure they are damned clean before trying to paint them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

EUR 1,450? He's as well off doing them himself. They shouldn't be too hard to disconnect, the issue he's going to have is making sure they are damned clean before trying to paint them.

But postage is less than a tenner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think someone's humour radar is on the blink.

Out of boredom decided to work out what I have spent on cars over the years. Probably wasn't actually as bad as I thought. But that is mainly because if you break it down for everything I owned up to trading in my Audi A4 the 2009 one I had actually broke even as there was a few I made money on.

Then the 161 Leon I actually think was a good buy at the time practically a new car but heavily reduced in price. If I had been doing the sensible thing financially I would have kept that as even now it would only be a 4 year old car so still fairly fresh.

But on the B9 A4 and GTI really I can't justify either whatsoever. However I don't regret buying either and if I was back again probably would buy the same over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Wailin wrote: »

Mcg in Kells have caliper paint kits on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

advertsfox wrote: »
    Wanted to get a dashcam for the Karoq but didn't want anything too obvious on the glass so did a bit of hunting for OEM style ones and found these - IRO Dashcams. A bit on the dearer side for it's specification but the integration and ease of install (direct to ODB) is ticking all the boxes for me. I took a punt and went for it, should be here in 1-2 weeks. Any have experience with them? Available for tonnes of models (even Tesla).

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000256868810.html

Arrived and setup in 15 minutues, excellent device I must say. Auto powers off if battery gets to 11.8, 12 or 12.4V (set to the latter) and parking mode is timelapsed.

0658-C747-BF05-4167-82-D3-4-AEB610-DB906.png

:rolleyes:

That's likely what plenty fncktards around the country call them.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the felt spec lads are delighted.

Iirc back in the day lads used to call yellow reg on the year Donegal plates.
    Boxy Starlet folk largely, who aspired to twin cams.

306 D Turbo crew are the ones I remember, they evolved into the agri spec lads it seems.

306 D Turbo crew.........

Great cars though, really nice.
    I'd happily run one today tbh.

The new 208 actually really appeals to me, there's a sort of retro Peugeot look to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

are those 'Donegal Plates' not illegal??

I often see them going around, and think surely they get stopped all the time with them??

I often see them going around, and think surely they get stopped all the time with them??

Completely illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They should be removed, then firmly slapped across the car owners face multiple times....

I don't understand why you would actually spend money on a plate which doesn't meet requirements and is illegal. My Golf had pressed metal plates that had everything bar the hyphens between the year/ county/ number. I am not sure if that makes them illegal but I got the garage to change them to standard plastic ones.

But I mean yellow plate, no hyphens, no IRL symbol, no county at the top, you might as well get a piece of cardboard and a marker and write the reg on it and stick that to the car they are both about as legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

306 D Turbo crew are the ones I remember, they evolved into the agri spec lads it seems.
    Great cars, I had 2 406 DTurbos back in the day, love the look of the prefacelift 306s though.
    Doesnt seem to be many for sale these days, especially with the XUD

I don't understand why you would actually spend money on a plate which doesn't meet requirements and is illegal. My Golf had pressed metal plates that had everything bar the hyphens between the year/ county/ number. I am not sure if that makes them illegal but I got the garage to change them to standard plastic ones.

But I mean yellow plate, no hyphens, no IRL symbol, no county at the top, you might as well get a piece of cardboard and a marker and write the reg on it and stick that to the car they are both about as legal.

Felt spec laaad :cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Mcg in Kells have caliper paint kits on their Facebook page.

Cheers for that, I just ordered the caliper paint kit from them. It's Foliatec which is a decent brand by all accounts.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Great cars, I had 2 406 DTurbos back in the day, love the look of the prefacelift 306s though.
    Doesnt seem to be many for sale these days, especially with the XUD
    Oh I'd 100% love one, great little cars.
    Like many things though, they were ruined by idiots.

A Mk6 golf passed me yesterday with yellow square plates,grassmen across the windscreen and some sort of pigeon stuck in the exhaust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭FDave

PsychoPete wrote: »
    A Mk6 golf passed me yesterday with yellow square plates,grassmen across the windscreen and some sort of pigeon stuck in the exhaust

Once you de-cat them the pigeons tend to get in and nest there.

PsychoPete wrote: »

Bonus points if they were yellow square German plates.

FDave wrote: »
    Once you de-cat them the pigeons tend to get in and nest there.
    Or whatever you fancy yourself. It's cooooooool :cool::pac:

I swear to god, they’re raffling a jack and pair of axle stands on Facebook. €5 a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I swear to god, they’re raffling a jack and pair of axle stands on Facebook. €5 a go.

Ah jaysusssssss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Theres an 08 407 doing the round for a fiver a go too!

Seen a few decent sized sheds up for raffle but the whole raffle thing is gone pretty annoying

[PHP][/PHP]
    Theres an 08 407 doing the round for a fiver a go too!

Unless it was limited to 4 entries, it’s hardly worth it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement