Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

Unless it was limited to 4 entries, it’s hardly worth it.
    Hardly need that much petrol to burn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Hard to know which would be the better prize the 08 407 or the jack and axle stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Scams the lot of them. I report everyone of them appears on my news feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Got the dreaded insurance renewal of €830 yesterday, a whole one euro cheaper than last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I managed to get mine down from €903 to €550. The dearest quote online was from my current insurer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

I renewed my insurance this week and found some competitive quotes. I'd recommend Allianz Direct, The AA and 123.ie, they gave me the three lowest quotes for the full level of cover I was after.

Got about 18 different quotes with 123 and AIG the cheapest, both just under €630

Entertaining thread here on Bimmerpost over in the states for those who are bored! OP starts thread about being scammed after transferring money to another user for a set of alloys to be delivered. Your man never posts the alloys and closes his account. Gung ho Americans go all "Don't fùck with cats", hunt him down and expose him. Scammer comes back on the thread to defend himself and it just gets more entertaining:D

Scammed by Forum Member Blk_Sapphire_M3 https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716667

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

F6-CC4-EFE-CAB7-4-D71-AD3-C-072-B39-F8-C556.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The karcher bottle is useless for foam....

Get yourself the proper brass fitting type, I got mine on AliExpress. Worked out a ⅓ of the price.

Finally got the Turtle Wax Snow Foam yesterday, and as expected, the Karcher lance isn't up to much!

I did have a look on AliExpress, but it's a bit of a minefield, with billions of lances available! Could you name the one to get, or link it? Or is it a case of just picking any one of the brass ones?
    (I've never used AliExpress before, is it a case where most things are the same, but just sold by different sellers (who all put their own brand on the item/box))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Finally got the Turtle Wax Snow Foam yesterday, and as expected, the Karcher lance isn't up to much!

I did have a look on AliExpress, but it's a bit of a minefield, with billions of lances available! Could you name the one to get, or link it? Or is it a case of just picking any one of the brass ones?
    (I've never used AliExpress before, is it a case where most things are the same, but just sold by different sellers (who all put their own brand on the item/box))
    have one of these, good quality, out of stock in the link below but will give you an idea

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Autobrite-Direct-Heavy-Duty-Snow-Foam-Lance-Karcher-Fitting-K-Series-K4-K5/323864937692?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Autoglym snow foam lance is pretty good. Has a wide neck on the bottle, makes it a lot easier to fill and doesn't tip over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32374219495.html

Something like that.
    There are ones on eBay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

And don't forget you'll be waiting for the Ali Express one for months ...or more due to the no flights bringing mail or people,,

Had the wheels off over a week ago for ceramic coating, off again today to do something about the calipers. Although they were in good nick to be honest. Just the retainer clip letting the show down. Went ahead and painted them black which is nice and subtle.

I could have positioned the M decals better, plus they were the wrong colour. I wanted grey instead of white but some heat and brake dust will sort that. Hubs were done to clean it up.

49871039448_d52f70f50d_c.jpg
    49871879522_8f669f7669_c.jpg
    49871042478_7457877776_c.jpg
    49871042508_c1c5d3a44a_c.jpg
    49871042648_80c5877dfe_c.jpg
    49871571626_e7bbfa7089_c.jpg
    49871042698_b0865ecfb7_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looks well. Be mindful of those hub surfaces though, F10s I think are very sensitive to getting vinbrations often misdiagnosed as discs and can be from wheel refurbs where the mating surface isn't true. Painting the surface of the hubs could do the same thing.

Good point vintage. I can't drive it for 24hrs to let it harden fully then I need to bake them in. Will see how it goes. Could be a nightmare to remove that paint if it starts causing issues.

What is the painting kit like ? Bought two of them, haven't used them yet

It's not bad at all and easy to apply. No masking needed like spray paint and spreads well. First coat doesn't give you much confidence but the second coat brings it up well. You need more brake cleaner than what they provide so make sure to have an extra bottle or two. Also, the paint brush and wire brush supplied are crap so get some decent ones. What colour did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Tasty job on the calipers! Think you might be due a set of discs shortly?

• Advertisement

Tasty job on the calipers! Think you might be due a set of discs shortly?

Bit of a lip on them alright TFB,. They're the original discs on the car since I got it 2.5 years ago and the f10's are well known for going through discs. Apart from a lip, is there any other symptoms that discs are worn? Vibration, squeaking brakes?

Thought the brushes looked a bit sh!te alright. The calipers were blasted and rebuilt. I got the carbon metallic and silver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I went for a new set of front discs years ago on my e90 and was shocked at what came off!! Still can’t believe I didn’t kill myself with these on!!

512260.jpeg
    512261.jpeg

Jaysus! I think I'm a good bit off of that!

Devastated. Just opened the washing machine door to take out a load and seen my car key looking back up at me. Weird because it works locking and unlocking but the LED is constantly flashing. Not holding out much hope but I've left it in rice so hopefully the car key fairly gets me sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Devastated. Just opened the washing machine door to take out a load and seen my car key looking back up at me. Weird because it works locking and unlocking but the LED is constantly flashing. Not holding out much hope but I've left it in rice so hopefully the car key fairly gets me sorted.

Heard the rice and thought this was where you were going!

It's exactly what I was thinking of but wasn't sure if it was too un PC for boards. You've posted it though, so it's all good :pac:

Came out to a slice in one of the tyre sidewalls this morning. That's two new tyres so, plenty left on them and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Came out to a slice in one of the tyre sidewalls this morning. That's two new tyres so, plenty left on them and all.

If you hit a curb and did that the result would be nearly instant.

Does someone have it in for you or your car ?

No, it's not sliced the whole way through, like the tyre is still inflated, but I won't be driving on it. No idea what caused it unless it was just a fault in the tyre, I've had a tyre peel itself like an orange before.

• Advertisement

No, it's not sliced the whole way through, like the tyre is still inflated, but I won't be driving on it. No idea what caused it unless it was just a fault in the tyre, I've had a tyre peel itself like an orange before.

Throw up a pic it might only be on the the kerb protection part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Oh right, possibly grazed it somewhere along the line.

I've only ever had one tyre peel on me like a banana but it was a remould on a HGV which was fine because I had many extra wheels which made it safe to stop without accident... On a car though I wouldn't like it

Pic below, don't think that's kerb protection anyway.

Pic below, don't think that's kerb protection anyway.

Sorry to say, new tyre....

I think that pic is deceiving a little bit but I'd be inclined to say replace the tyre too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Rubber looks perished in places and you can see where it's stressed either side of that rip, might be plenty of meet left on them but they are probably past their best anyway.

I dont know if it was the fairies, the Asian's or possibly the Germans but they key works today! Could probably still eat the rice too :pac:

Very good documentary on the FX4 London cab

https://youtu.be/4NxONBRFNho

Finally got to book my car in for a service going in next Friday. Since I have been doing so little driving and only using it to get to work I will only up being maybe 800 km overdue so negligible enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

tossy wrote: »
    Rubber looks perished in places and you can see where it's stressed either side of that rip, might be plenty of meet left on them but they are probably past their best anyway.

Yeah, you can see near the all season and the icons that the rubber is splitting there too. Time to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

I know this was discussed recently but I can’t seem to find it,
    I sold my car in early March and was hoping to pick up a replacement shortly afterwards but that didn’t happen because of the current situation.
    Anyhoo, I had kept the insurance going as I was going to transfer it to whatever I bought, but I bit the bullet and cancelled the policy on Monday. This is the first time in about 16 years I don’t have a car insured, and it looks like I will be without a car insured for the foreseeable.
    I know that I will lose my NCB after two years, but is there anything else I should consider?
    I’m still a named driver on the wife’s policy.

I know this was discussed recently but I can’t seem to find it,
    I sold my car in early March and was hoping to pick up a replacement shortly afterwards but that didn’t happen because of the current situation.
    Anyhoo, I had kept the insurance going as I was going to transfer it to whatever I bought, but I bit the bullet and cancelled the policy on Monday. This is the first time in about 16 years I don’t have a car insured, and it looks like I will be without a car insured for the foreseeable.
    I know that I will lose my NCB after two years, but is there anything else I should consider?
    I’m still a named driver on the wife’s policy.

A condition of you being a named driver on your wife’s car may well have been that you had your own car and insurance now you don’t. So would be worth checking that. Obviously the year you cancelled you can’t count as a years NCB. I can’t think of much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

CIP4 wrote: »
    A condition of you being a named driver on your wife’s car may well have been that you had your own car and insurance now you don’t. So would be worth checking that. Obviously the year you cancelled you can’t count as a years NCB. I can’t think of much else.

Cheers, that hadn’t entered my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Yeah, you can see near the all season and the icons that the rubber is splitting there too. Time to go.
    Agree.

Splitting rubber is never a good idea, leads to expensive bills down the line.
    I've seen boardsies have to sell some nice metal just to cover the bills.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree.

Splitting rubber is never a good idea, leads to expensive bills down the line.
    I've seen boardsies have to sell some nice metal just to cover the bills.

I had to get rid of the jag once my son came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Twas a great jag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I didn't want to start a thread about this, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
    My car is SORN, it's insured, it has no NCT.

I need to take it down to a my mechanic to have the timing set properly and a couple of small bits to get it spot in for when the NCT centres finally reopen.

Am I legally allowed to drive it to the workshop and back for it's repairs please?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I didn't want to start a thread about this, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
    My car is SORN, it's insured, it has no NCT.

I need to take it down to a my mechanic to have the timing set properly and a couple of small bits to get it spot in for when the NCT centres finally reopen.

Am I legally allowed to drive it to the workshop and back for it's repairs please?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

No.... But how long is the test out may be in your favour....

If it's out a year or more it will definitely be an issue but a few months as they've been closed then you will be able to but have proof that's what you are doing if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hope everyone is doing well. I have been taking a self imposed break from social media over the past few weeks due to the stuff ongoing and wanting to just enjoy working on my car.

And work, mainly work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

No.... But how long is the test out may be in your favour....

If it's out a year or more it will definitely be an issue but a few months as they've been closed then you will be able to but have proof that's what you are doing if possible.

The NCT is out more than a year alright. I've "just bought" it at the start of this month though. When I went online to declare it off the road it said that the NCT was due from the start of May.

Are you 100% sure about this? I'm fairly sure I saw something about it on the motortax website that it's permitted if it's for repairs for the NCT.

I go and have a check myself, cheers.

EDIT.

You were right, I can only drive it for repairs if they're for a retest. Not for repairs before the test.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement