Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

CIP4 wrote: »
    The egr valve is gone in my Dads A4. He bought it as a used approved car in an Audi garage 2 years ago. The few small things it needed they done for free a few months before he bought it. It has a FSH from Audi there is 180k km on it now 141 and the egr is after going in it. He rang the Audi dealer to get a price to replace it was giving out or anything as at that age and mileage it’s well and truly his problem. They rang back and said because of its history Audi will cover 70% of parts and Labour.

Infairness I don’t know is it that particular dealer or Audi after sales in general but from my experience with it it’s second to none even comparing it to Seat, VW there is no comparison at all. Well also my dad is just lucky with cars if I had bought that car with that mileage and age the gearbox probably would of fallen out of it at this point on me.

Having issues with a relatively new car from a premium brand, probably for the last couple of years, is lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

salonfire wrote: »
    Having issues with a relatively new car from a premium brand, probably for the last couple of years, is lucky?

I personally wouldn’t consider a 6 year old car with 180K km on it relatively new by any stretch of the imagination. Your well into the middle of its life at that stage where plenty of stuff can and will go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Its heading for 7 years of age with 180k on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Its heading for 7 years of age with 180k on it?

Is 6 years considered the serviceable "lifetime" of a €40,000 item? If a TV or fridge only lasted a few years you'd be asking for a replacement claiming it's not fit for purpose.

I'd say claiming it's "relatively new" is a fair assessment. Although I guess that depends on degree of relativity.

Is 6 years considered the serviceable "lifetime" of a €40,000 item? If a TV or fridge only lasted a few years you'd be asking for a replacement claiming it's not fit for purpose.

I'd say claiming it's "relatively new" is a fair assessment. Although I guess that depends on degree of relativity.

I'd say 6 years combined with 180k kms is a decent way into it's predicted lifespan yeah, 50% or so would be fair I'd say? I mean the car isn't bolloxed or anything, needing a bit of a repair after that kind of mileage isn't vastly unusual, particularly for a German brand IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is 380 a good price for a dyno custom remap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s what TDR performance charge and for the amount of work they put in it’s great value IMO.

Yeah it's from Joe. Was looking at Quantum remap but my gut tells me to go with a dyno job. Not sure if I should have egr removed first though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Want to do some mods on the 2006 vRS but don't have a fortune to spend, anyone any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭fran38

Anyone know when Honda dealers will open for service?

• Advertisement

It's the EGR that's w@nked, not the car.

If you rocked into an Audi garage and asked to see a relatively new A4 and they showed you a 141 you'd think they were off their tree. Not that an Audi garage would be retailing 6 year old A4s anyway I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Did the car tax online Sunday came in the door this morning quickest ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Want to do some mods on the 2006 vRS but don't have a fortune to spend, anyone any tips?

Upgrade the diverter valve if it still has the old diaphragm type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

fran38 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Honda dealers will open for service?
    Already should be since Monday

Upgrade the diverter valve if it still has the old diaphragm type.

I'd say it's never been changed, could this cause it to be jumpy on power?

I'd say it's never been changed, could this cause it to be jumpy on power?

Not really sure about being jumpy on power it'll cause it to be slightly down on power though.

The rubber diaphragm splits and leaks boost, the newer ones are a different design.

It made a noticeable difference to a friends mk5 gti but his original one was well split.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

What websites/stores do you use for alloys and tyres? Or do you use different places?

Been looking on Demon Tweaks and can get Michelin PS4 and alloys for a decent price, but have no experience with them.

Demon Tweaks have been around a long time.

I’d always prefer OE alloys over aftermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Demon tweaks have been around for years, you might get better value ordering the tyres of tyle leader or camskill and sourcing the wheels yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'd second colm's post. Although you'll always have weights on OEM wheels, more often than not aftermarket wheels will have more of them especially if they're reps.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Demon Tweaks have been around a long time.

I’d always prefer OE alloys over aftermarket.

Yep, I'm deciding between aftermarket or just powder coat the OEM. I don't dislike the style of them per se, but definitely would prefer a darker alloy.

Save a bit of cash for a miltek or custom exhaust from exhaust worx. Lockdown brain is going for sure.

What car is it?

What car is it?

2016 Ibiza cupra, the 1.8tsi

I’d be very much suggesting you look at wheels from within the VW group. Maybe it’s just the safe option, but clearly aftermarket looking wheels don’t really work for me visually on modern stuff unless it’s some iconic wheel.

Might be herd mentality with me of course.

I’d be very much suggesting you look at wheels from within the VW group. Maybe it’s just the safe option, but clearly aftermarket looking wheels don’t really work for me visually on modern stuff unless it’s some iconic wheel.

Might be herd mentality with me of course.

To each their own. Always happy to hear opinions from different perspectives. Will be getting ideas and researching before I drop any money anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Depends on the wheels in question I think wheels like Spacro Assetto look well on more modern cars

I'd say 6 years combined with 180k kms is a decent way into it's predicted lifespan yeah, 50% or so would be fair I'd say? I mean the car isn't bolloxed or anything, needing a bit of a repair after that kind of mileage isn't vastly unusual, particularly for a German brand IMO.

This isn't the first problem with the car from what I can make out so it was younger when problems started to arise.

180k is 111,000 miles in old money. Are we going back to the days where we have to be wary of anything over 100,000 miles as potential money pits.

It's amazing what people are willing to put up with to have a premium brand sitting on the driveway to coo over.

Our house has an Auris that is older and with more miles on it that never missed a beat. I'd be pissed if mechanical problems started on it even now.

..... bathtub curve...... Over thousands of cars with thousands of parts occasional failure is inevitable.

Not all A4s need EGR replaced at 6 years old, sh1t happens and in this case Audi are stepping up with goodwill.

Audi aren't a premium brand, as much as they link to think they are.
    Mercedes and BMW are the premium ones.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Audi aren't a premium brand, as much as they link to think they are.
    Mercedes and BMW are the premium ones.

Expand..

Expand..
    Merc and BMW would be the premium brands.
    I'd put Audi a tier or so below them, in the same bracket as VW.

They may be trying to market themselves as premium, but they've still a ways to go.

What makes a car premium?

180k is 111,000 miles in old money. Are we going back to the days where we have to be wary of anything over 100,000 miles as potential money pits.

It's amazing what people are willing to put up with to have a premium brand sitting on the driveway to coo over.

To me, the amazing thing is that people now just expect consumer goods to last absolutely flawlessly, for ever and ever without exception now and if it every gives any jip down the line, the manufacturer is always expected to pick up the pieces.

You cant do right for doing wrong, Audi are basically footing the bill on this and it's still unacceptable apparently.

Years ago, as you say if your car has 100k miles on it, which is a good bit of travelling in fairness and something broke, you just went and got it fixed. Why is that we do not want to pay to fix our own things anymore?

I know theres an expectation that things should last a certain time frame but I think 6+ years and 110k miles is getting to a point where you cant really blame someone else anymore. Stuff breaks and wears out with use from time to time unfortunately.

They may be trying to market themselves as premium, but they've still a ways to go.

That's mad how you came up with that. So VW and Audi are on a level pegging? Have you a new model of wither recently?

This isn't the first problem with the car from what I can make out so it was younger when problems started to arise.

Our house has an Auris that is older and with more miles on it that never missed a beat. I'd be pissed if mechanical problems started on it even now.

Well he has it two years there was around 70K miles on it when he got it. Its the first thing that's gone wrong with it since he got it. Other than this its just been servicing/tyres really.

I had a 2009 A4 in 2016 but we won't talk about that can't bring up those memories again. That was different though to other cars in the fact it was cursed :pac:

Infairness cars made more recently are extremely complex compared to what they were 15 years ago. More components is always going to mean a certain amount of issues sh!t happens.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Well he has it two years there was around 70K miles on it when he got it. Its the first thing that's gone wrong with it since he got it. Other than this its just been servicing/tyres really.

I had a 2009 A4 in 2016 but we won't talk about that can't bring up those memories again. That was different though to other cars in the fact it was cursed :pac:

Infairness cars made more recently are extremely complex compared to what they were 15 years ago. More components is always going to mean a certain amount of issues sh!t happens.

Should have bought a starlet....

• Advertisement

Audi should start using the Renault 1.5 dci engine in their cars, or start selling vans.

In fairness these days I would look at Audi as an equal to BMW and Mercedes, especially in the last 10 years with the A5, A6 and so on but that's just me.

That's mad how you came up with that. So VW and Audi are on a level pegging? Have you a new model of wither recently?

Not the latest models, which are awful looking, but driven 2016-2017 ones.
    I'm not saying they're not nice to be in, I'd just have them a step below Merc or BMW. Seemingly that's just me though.

In fairness these days I would look at Audi as an equal to BMW and Mercedes, especially in the last 10 years with the A5, A6 and so on but that's just me.

Granted, I haven't driven an A8 or the likes to see what their top end offerings are like, A6 is top one so far. They have come on a lot as you said, but for me they're just not quite at that point yet.
    They'll probably be more widely classed as premium or luxury soon enough if they keep on the current path, but I still see them as a slightly posher VW. Or a VW in drag, as I heard someone describe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Audi are lacking in the rebranding of Kangoos and Navaras department, that's where Merc are overtaking them as a premium brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Not the latest models, which are awful looking, but driven 2016-2017 ones.
    I'm not saying they're not nice to be in, I'd just have them a step below Merc or BMW. Seemingly that's just me though.

Granted, I haven't driven an A8 or the likes to see what their top end offerings are like, A6 is top one so far. They have come on a lot as you said, but for me they're just not quite at that point yet.
    They'll probably be more widely classed as premium or luxury soon enough if they keep on the current path, but I still see them as a slightly posher VW. Or a VW in drag, as I heard someone describe them.

That's like saying a Ferrari is just a tarted up Fiat. I've never owned an Audi, nor do I particularly like the look of them, I'd be more of a BMW fan. You just don't personally like them, which is different to them being in a different category to BMW or Merc, both of which have made (or bought) some woeful engines & cars recently.

I don't like Man United, so they're not in the premier league in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Whatever about peoples' views on where Audi stand, one thing is for sure - they seem to be a lot more reliable than BMW....and that's coming from a BMW fan!

That's like saying a Ferrari is just a tarted up Fiat.

No, it's really not. An A3 is practically a Golf. A Multipla is not a 458.
    I've never owned an Audi, nor do I particularly like the look of them, I'd be more of a BMW fan. You just don't personally like them, which is different to them being in a different category to BMW or Merc, both of which have made (or bought) some woeful engines & cars recently.

I don't like Man United, so they're not in the premier league in my opinion.

Not once did I say I don't like them, I actually like them a lot. I actually prefer them to Merc or BMW for the most part, I just don't think they're in the same bracket yet, although I will admit that gap keeps getting smaller and they're not far off these days.

... of course, they all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

No, it's really not. An A3 is practically a Golf. ..

If you've ever done something like change a window regulator on a golf and A3 from the same era you'd realise they are far from being the same car in terms of build quality and how they are bolted together.

An A3 isn't premium the way a CLA with a Renault engine isn't premium, but an A6, A8 is as premium as a 5 or 7 - Looks and interior design are subjective but they are all built to a similar standard.

A3's are girls cars...

hidesbehindsofa.gif

A3's are girls cars...

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Premium girls.

Brought my Golf to get serviced this morning. Was mayhem at the dealers the service department was flat out so ended up being delayed but got it done anyway. When I was dropping in the key the guy said to me oh right this is the third service at 45K km in the servicing plan I thought nothing of it .

Car was finished went to pick it up was chatting to the service guy he then sterilised the key and gave it back to me and said have a nice day. So I said oh where do I pay and got a very confused look back saying the car had a service pack which I clearly didn't know about by the fact I didn't know he started to doubt himself and double checked but the computer confirmed it has it. I didnt think they were transferable between owners and also didn't even think they were a thing on GTI/R models.

Long story short after a little confusion I am up €169 today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Premium girls.
    PCP financed through onlyfans?

ELM327 wrote: »
    PCP financed through onlyfans?

Wouldn't need pcp with how much some of them make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

No, it's really not. An A3 is practically a Golf. A Multipla is not a 458.

Not once did I say I don't like them, I actually like them a lot. I actually prefer them to Merc or BMW for the most part, I just don't think they're in the same bracket yet, although I will admit that gap keeps getting smaller and they're not far off these days.

I once had a tour of the Audi factory outside Brussels where they build the A1 model. The tourguide shared some insights into how manufacturing processes differ between the VAG brands. Whilst many cars in the group share components, a lot of the manufacturing process boils down to manufacturing tolerances.

With Audi, the premium brand in the VAG group, the manufacturing tolerances are lower than VW, whose tolerances are in turn lower than Skoda and Seat - the two budget brands in the group. I don't remember exactly what these figures were but something along the line of with all Audi models, there is a tolerance of 0.3mm in panel and interior gaps, then with VW it would be 0.6mm and with Skoda/Seat 1mm. Don't quote me on this figure though, I could be way off! :D

As well as using more premium looking and feeling components and materials in their cabins than VW, the higher attention to detail and quality in the manufacturing process places Audi in the premium tier of the marketplace and helps distinguish itself from sister company VW.

I 100% consider Audi, BMW and Mercedes to be comparable brands, as would pretty much every car magazine, journalist and YouTuber worth their salt. You don’t see new 5-series and E-Class models being compared to the Passat, you see them compared to the A6.

In response to "An A3 is practically a Golf" - you're right that they share a lot of tech and engineering, but having owned a current-gen A3 (2013) and now owning a Mk7 Golf (2016), I can tell you first hand that the A3 felt like a more premium product. The cabin was very well built and designed, definitely a level up on the Golf imo. However I never gelled with the A3, didn't like how it drove, but that's a whole different post...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement