Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wouldn't need pcp with how much some of them make.
    I heard they got a good deal on VAG cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

eljono wrote: »
    Differences in VAG tightness tolerances

If you buy a SEAT it's 'fine' at first but it really makes you regret not spending the little bit extra and buying a Skoda. So next time you buy a Skoda.

If you buy a Skoda it's 'fine'at first but it really makes you regret not spending the little bit extra and buying a Volkswagen. So next time you buy a Volkswagen.

If you buy a Volkswagen it's 'fine'at first but it really makes you regret not spending the little bit extra and buying an Audi. So next time you buy an Audi

If you buy a Audi it's 'fine'at first but it really makes you regret not spending the little bit extra and buying a better Audi.

It's the perfect marketing strategy. Every car is made to make you feel just a little bit **** that you couldn't afford the next one up in the range.

Look what features you could have had......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

Surely a discussion around VAG tightness is better suited to A.H? :pac:

You make a good point though, and in reality you do see that sequence of events often happen, people moving "up" within the VAG family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have owned 2 Golfs, 2 A4s and a Leon. The Audi has the best interior quality by a mile and finish overall is great even under the bonnet it is finished a lot better than the others. But it’s really only in recent years the Audi interiors have stepped up. VW is definitely in the middle on build quality. SEAT are at the bottom lacking the likes of independent rear suspension on the standard Leon Models which the Golf has a standard. However I do still think they are fairly decent And by no means bad build quality wise and the Leon is a nice looking car and has some nice design features.

For me Audi would win everytime as being the best VAG brand. The biggest downside is the lack of extras/Features for the cost everything is an option. The virtual Cockpit is an option on nearly all New Audi still ffs yet they were one of the first to have it. It’s standard on a lot of VW models at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭RyanMGF

The Volkswagen group are experts in having shared platforms and shared technologies across all of their brands and being able to market them in a way that one badge is distinct from the others in pricing, perceived status and quality.

Obviously Porsche, Bentley, Bugatti & Lamborghini are a totally different story - as are the likes of the RS product from Audi and yes, as a sweeping statement an Audi will feel better than an equivalent VW, which will in turn feel better than a Seat or Skoda, but honestly - who cares, the cars are all of a similar quality and will all likely last just as long as each other. An A3 isn’t better to the degree of its price difference between a Golf, for example.

Anybody who thinks their 4-cylinder diesel FWD Audi delivers a premium driving experience is, unfortunately for them, terribly misguided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

CIP4 wrote: »
    . VW is definitely in the middle on build quality. SEAT are at the bottom lacking the likes of independent rear suspension on the standard Leon Models which the Golf has a standard.

Golfs with under 150bhp don't get independent rear suspension either, anything with 150 and above gets it. In the preface lift Mk3 Leon they didn't get it until over 150 so the 1.4 tsi and 2.0 tdi 150 didn't have it. It was part of the reason there was a big enough jump in price to the 184. The face lift 1.5tsi 150 does though. Not sure about the facelift diesel 2.0 150.

Ryath wrote: »
    Golfs with under 150bhp don't get independent rear suspension either, anything with 150 and above gets it. In the preface lift Mk3 Leon they didn't get it until over 150 so the 1.4 tsi and 2.0 tdi 150 didn't have it. It was part of the reason there was a big enough jump in price to the 184. The face lift 1.5tsi 150 does though. Not sure about the facelift diesel 2.0 150.

I thought all the mk7 golfs have rear independent suspension and it was the Leon that was only models over 150Bhp that got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

I thought all the mk7 golfs have rear independent suspension and it was the Leon that was only models over 150Bhp that got it.

Sorry was actually lower 1.4tsi 122ps up had them. Think it may have varied though over the years. Pretty sure the estate version all had independent rear suspension.

Twist beam rear axle (1.2 litre TSI 85 PS, 1.2 litre TSI 105 PS, 1.6 litre TDI 90 PS, 1.6 litre TDI 105 PS, 1.6 litre TDI 110 PS)

– Multilink rear axle (1.4 litre TSI 122 PS, 1.4 litre TSI ACT 140 PS, 2.0 litre TSI 220 PS, 2.0 litre TSI 230 PS, 2.0 litre TDI 150 PS,
    2.0 litre TDI 184 PS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The A3 is the same since they switched to using the MQB platform, too.

Then again, Mercedes also use pre-historic suspension on most versions of the A-class since the latest model came out, Ford only keeps proper suspension on go-faster versions of the Focus (the earliest 1.5 petrols had it, but then they decided to cut corners and drop it on this engine); meanwhile the decidedly non-premium Toyota uses fully independent rear suspension on its competitor - even on the cheapest model. I believe Hyundai and Kia still do on their rivals, too, even for the cheapest model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

eljono wrote: »
    Surely a discussion around VAG tightness is better suited to A.H? :pac:

You make a good point though, and in reality you do see that sequence of events often happen, people moving "up" within the VAG family.
    It's definitely related to the onlyfans content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Raging with a "respected" member on Bimmerforums, he's in Japan and I ordered a set of his ignition leads for the 8 series. His post reads like they are a very high quality cable, the best choice, shows the spec etc. In my opinion, it read like these are quality Japanese cables, even though it doesn't say as much. €180 shipped.

I pay, but turns out he couldn't ship to Ireland due to COVID, that's fine, so he got his son who lives in Munich to post me a set, problem solved.
    Box arrives today, I open it up to a mess of standard Janmor Polish-made cables.

I get on to him, say I received a box of Janmor cables, what's going on? Turns out that's all he's been selling all these years, ordering in Germany, shipping them to Japan, paying taxes and duties and then sending them where they need to go.

I could have bought the same damn cables for €80. What a pointless transaction. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Raging with a "respected" member on Bimmerforums, he's in Japan and I ordered a set of his ignition leads for the 8 series. His post reads like they are a very high quality cable, the best choice, shows the spec etc. In my opinion, it read like these are quality Japanese cables, even though it doesn't say as much. €180 shipped.

I pay, but turns out he couldn't ship to Ireland due to COVID, that's fine, so he got his son who lives in Munich to post me a set, problem solved.
    Box arrives today, I open it up to a mess of standard Janmor Polish-made cables.

I get on to him, say I received a box of Janmor cables, what's going on? Turns out that's all he's been selling all these years, ordering in Germany, shipping them to Japan, paying taxes and duties and then sending them where they need to go.

I could have bought the same damn cables for €80. What a pointless transaction. :mad:

I hope you got your money back.

Are Janmor cables of the spec he described?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Unmarked HGV is a great idea , i remember they had one on one of those UK cop shows years ago catching other HGV drivers on their phones - the look of shock on the faces of the drivers was priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had to double take there. I thought Gardai were encouraging lane discipline for a second.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I find the debate over whether Audis are premium cars on a level equivalent to BMW or Mercedes to be surprising. I find it impossible to think that anyone can drive a good A6 or A8, then compare with the equivalent 5/7 series or E/S class and think that they are not to the same class. I say this as someone who has one mid/higher range car from each of the three companies in my garage. If 'premium' is defined by luxury and driving characteristics, Audi are normally considered to be the field leader in the category of interior finish, Merc normally in technology, and BMW in driving, but it's a balance depending on what's important to you. I've found the quality of service/support at the dealer/service level from all three to be more or less equivalent (and noticeably better than the VW or Chevy I've owned)

It may be that Audi have the lowest 'quality' finish available in their lineup. The base entry diesel FWD A1 (or whatever you have in Europe, Audi doesn't go that small here) may well be a matter of people buying the car for the badge, and Audi may be willing to risk their badge reputation more than BMW in the 1-series or Merc in their A class in the interests of more sales. I'm not sure, I've never compared an A3 to a, say, Golf. Something like an A8 may well be merely a halo car for the the vast majority of car-buyers who are buying their lesser vehicles with the A8 in the background of the shop, but that doesn't make the A8 any less quality (or expensive).

Premium buyers don't care about what's in the lower-end of the scale. They may not even walk to that part of the show floor. I was personally astonished by how much less quality of a car the base A4 was that the dealership loaned me when my S4 was in service. I didn't even know Audi interiors could be so underwhelming until I was in it. However, I didn't go to the Audi dealer with my money for a non-premium experience car. I went specifically looking at a higher end, and I got it.

I submit that when looking at a company and determining if it's premium, one needs to start looking at vehicles which are beyond the price range of a lower "tier" competitor for an equivalent car. For example, the VW equivalent to an A6 is basically the Passat. I've owned both. Right now, the top trim Passat is $32,000, the SEL. The base model A6 around these parts starts at $55,000. Not only is it a lot more expensive, it is better in basically every single way. More technology, more power, better ride, better quality interior... The fact that the base A3 starts at $33,000 does not mean that its level of quality should be compared with the equivalently priced Passat. If you're in the market for a large family saloon, the A3's price and quality, even if both are identical to the Passat, is irrelevant.
    RyanMGF wrote: »
    yes, as a sweeping statement an Audi will feel better than an equivalent VW, which will in turn feel better than a Seat or Skoda, but honestly - who cares, the cars are all of a similar quality and will all likely last just as long as each other. An A3 isn’t better to the degree of its price difference between a Golf, for example.

I submit we have an example here of the subjective difference between how people look at cars. An Audi and VW and Skoda may all be built to the same build quality and all last as long as each other, but premium buyers are not just looking for a reliable way of getting from A to B. If so, we'd all be buying Hondas and the like. Consider an airplane flight, San Francisco to London. 12 hours, everyone gets there at the same time, it some will pay thousands and some merely hundreds. Why? Quality is far more than just how the car works in its driving function, a premium car is supposed to provide a subjective feeling to its owner which a non-premium car does not (As well as some objective benefits such as improved technolgies). If you do not believe that the premium experience, varying from the process of dropping your car off for service through just a contentedness of sitting in a just damned nice cabin is worth money, then absolutely, your last line above is perfectly valid. However, other people disagree. I bought the Passat to replace an A6. Objectively and subjectively both, I consider the Audi to have been the better car. Do I think it is better to the degree of the $20,000 price difference to a Passat? You may disagree, but I'm going to the Audi dealer, not the VW dealer for the next one. It was the fact that I couldn't afford a $50,000 car at the time which brought me to VW, not the fact that I thought it presented better value for money.

....... I was personally astonished by how much less quality of a car the base A4 was that the dealership loaned me when my S4 was in service. I didn't even know Audi interiors could be so underwhelming until I was in it. ......... money.

Surely a base A4 is 40% ish of the S4 price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I hope you got your money back.

We agreed to him refunding me $50. I laid it out that his listing is misleading and its dishonest to be selling European customers a local product for over twice the price, just because it went around the world a few times. He didn't argue it or deny it and just sent the money back, saying he was "well into the red on this transaction".

"You and me alike".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

We agreed to him refunding me $50. I laid it out that his listing is misleading and its dishonest to be selling European customers a local product for over twice the price, just because it went around the world a few times. He didn't argue it or deny it and just sent the money back, saying he was "well into the red on this transaction".

"You and me alike".

Must do your homework before purchasing anything online and even then it can be a mine field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Have you a link to reviews on items purchased?
    I presume you checked it out thoroughly before purchasing?
    If misleading in description you have a case , should be reported and reimbursement should follow his PayPal
    (You did use PayPal?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭FDave

"You and me alike".

If he is implying polish made leads that are being sent from Germany cost more than importing them to japan paying tax and shipping them back to europe, he is clearly a bull****er. How did he sell so many without mentioning what brand they are?

Went through a Garda checkpoint on the way home from work. They were only checking tax, insurance and NCT weren’t actually asking anyone where they were going which I thought was odd.

Went through a Garda checkpoint on the way home from work. They were only checking tax, insurance and NCT weren’t actually asking anyone where they were going which I thought was odd.

It's all about social distancing now ....

I'm driving 300kms to look at a job tomorrow, I'll have the paperwork with me but I'm not expecting to be asked to show it TBH

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-to-scale-down-covid-19-enforcement-for-june-bank-holiday-1.4265621%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Yea because garda senior management want guards to get back to doing real police work, these checkpoints are taking up a lot of resources but Holohan and government insist otherwise.

I approached a checkpoint yesterday but was waved through due to the built up of cars in front and behind me. Not the first time either lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some serious amount of speed traps today, all in prime spots on roads that are 60 or 50km/h speed limits.

Sandyford past the beacon heading towards Goatstown road.
    Black i40 regular there now, he was catching cars coming towards him and was using the new binoculars type.

Another was at the roadworks at kilmac before the bray exit off N11.... It's an 80km/h road but due to works it at 60km/h he got a ton of cars there and wasn't going after them either. Seen a megane coupe caught as he caught the front but went at him at the rear too.

I'd say these have paid for themselves already.

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely a base A4 is 40% ish of the S4 price.

A4 starts here at $37,400, an S4 starts at $49,900.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Thinking about buying an Estate, really looking at;
    2013~ BMW 320D M-sport
    2015~ VW Passat GT 20TDI 190bhp

Anyone have any recommendations or their opinion of the mentioned cars? Ideally i am looking for something that is high spec, 2ltr diesel and around 190bhp. Only looking to spend €14k max.

Murt102 wrote: »
    2013~ BMW 320D M-sport

Anyone have any recommendations or their opinion of the mentioned cars? Ideally i am looking for something that is high spec, 2ltr diesel and around 190bhp. Only looking to spend €14k max.

I'd be worried about timing chain issue on bm

2013~ BMW 320D M-sport

You might get an Octavia VRS or Seat Leon FR184 for that. 2015 at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If the timing chain isint affected or it's ok I'd go with the BMW

Much prefer over the VW stuff

Is there much market for selling used alloy wheels these days. I found one down the back of the shed today that I forgot I had. There are a few marks on it which maybe that makes it worthless unless someone is willing to put it on their car as is and not refurb it. Its an 18 inch Alloy of an Audi A4 B9 S-Line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Throw it up on Done deal or adverts, you might get some interest in it.

A4 starts here at $37,400, an S4 starts at $49,900.

Wow..... We're 42k v 76k & I'm surprised the s4 is not more over here TBH :pac:

Wow..... We're 42k v 76k & I'm surprised the s4 is not more over here TBH :pac:

Is it anything to do with the tax/registration in Ireland due to the twin-turbo V6?

Either that, or your base A4 is lower than our base A4. Compared to other small family sedans, I don't see any reason the S4 should be any higher. The C43 AMG starts at $55.9 for a similar engine. It's still a small car, and the engine isn't exactly a monster.

What is a base A4 in the US, engine/transmission wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Is it anything to do with the tax/registration in Ireland due to the twin-turbo V6?

Either that, or your base A4 is lower than our base A4. Compared to other small family sedans, I don't see any reason the S4 should be any higher. The C43 AMG starts at $55.9 for a similar engine. It's still a small car, and the engine isn't exactly a monster.

European S4s are now diesel :-(. S5 still petrol afaik.

Surprised at the small gap between "base" and "S" in the US, I presume the base is still a decent engine rather than a 1.4! Bit of a no-brainer to get the S4 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

If the timing chain isint affected or it's ok I'd go with the BMW

Much prefer over the VW stuff

Probably been mentioned a million times here already but are most of that generation BMW (2012-2015) have an issue with the timing chain? Guessing my only way knowing the car is okay if it has history of work being done to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Probably been mentioned a million times here already but are most of that generation BMW (2012-2015) have an issue with the timing chain? Guessing my only way knowing the car is okay if it has history of work being done to it?

Had one before myself. I rang BMW before buying it and asked was it one of the affected ones and they said not

I did over 100k kilometers on it withing 2 years and all I ever had to do to it was services it and change the brakes.

Bizzarely the most reliable car I've ever owned.

The only time it ever gave trouble was that time I accidentally got a tonnes of snow into the boot and it melted into the PDC module which made the speedo go a bit crazy, but a second hand PDC module and as good as new. But that was my fault, not the cars

• Advertisement

It's all about social distancing now ....

I'm driving 300kms to look at a job tomorrow, I'll have the paperwork with me but I'm not expecting to be asked to show it TBH
    .....]

700kms over today & yesterday, spanned 3 provinces..... A few speed cameras & one hair dryer spotted.... No checkpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

European S4s are now diesel :-(. S5 still petrol afaik.

Surprised at the small gap between "base" and "S" in the US, I presume the base is still a decent engine rather than a 1.4! Bit of a no-brainer to get the S4 really.

Isn't the American S4 a bit...meh though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Pops_20

It's looking likely that a hosepipe ban will be issued in the coming days/weeks, similar to July 2018. I'm just getting ready to take the car out of storage next Monday and I won't even be able to give it a good wash :(

Is there any way around such a ban for washing cars? I'm not sure but I think filling a bucket and using that as a source for the pressure washer is allowed.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    It's looking likely that a hosepipe ban will be issued in the coming days/weeks, similar to July 2018. I'm just getting ready to take the car out of storage next Monday and I won't even be able to give it a good wash :(

Is there any way around such a ban for washing cars? I'm not sure but I think filling a bucket and using that as a source for the pressure washer is allowed.

Use ones at fuel stations... They can still be used as water is recycled somewhat.

Is there any way around such a ban for washing cars? .........

https://www.water.ie/news/national-water-conservati/#:~:text=Irish%20Water%20has%20confirmed%20that,watering%20gardens%20attached%20to%20a

The prohibited uses are as follows:

Use of water drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for the purpose:

cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a domestic hosepipe

Strictly speaking a pressure washer fed from a bucket that's filled from a tap is probably ok but it might be somewhat against the spirit of a water conservation effort :)

Of course, commercial car washes are still allowed to operate so it's very subjective.

Is there much market for selling used alloy wheels these days. I found one down the back of the shed today that I forgot I had. There are a few marks on it which maybe that makes it worthless unless someone is willing to put it on their car as is and not refurb it. Its an 18 inch Alloy of an Audi A4 B9 S-Line.

I'd say someone would love to have it as a spare. Put it up on DoneDeal for a fair price and collection only if you don't want to travel.
    OSI wrote: »
    Bit late now obviously but we've had a water butt connected to our gutter run off pipes for years and have always used the collected rain water for the power washer, no concern of wasted public water there.

Is it true that the government wanted to tax water butts? How did that go for them?
    https://www.water.ie/news/national-water-conservati/#:~:text=Irish%20Water%20has%20confirmed%20that,watering%20gardens%20attached%20to%20a

The prohibited uses are as follows:

Use of water drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for the purpose:

cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a domestic hosepipe

Strictly speaking a pressure washer fed from a bucket that's filled from a tap is probably ok but it might be somewhat against the spirit of a water conservation effort :)

Of course, commercial car washes are still allowed to operate so it's very subjective.

So if you buy a commercial hosepipe you're in the clear? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just lash a sign on the gate; Pops car wash. Boom, commercial car wash.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just lash a sign on the gate; Pops car wash. Boom, commercial car wash.

And then Mr. Tax man is on Pop's doorstep looking for his cut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I'm all for the spirit of conserving water, but if there was any way to circumvent the hose pipe ban for just one car wash I would be open to it :pac:

If I fill a bucket with water and have it next to the power washer with a short hose connecting it to the bucket is that OK? To be fair, the power washer uses very little water comparing to the garden hose itself.

To be fair, the power washer uses very little water comparing to the garden hose itself.

This is true. A pressure washer by its nature uses less water as it has to pressurize it. With a hose on its own there's quite a lot of waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Lads I have bought a car today at Merlins via online auction.

What's the craic with paying for it? Cant get them on the phone? I got an email invoice for it but no info on how to pay. I dont intend on going there in person, just some kind of electronic payment and getting the car towed to me.

It was €1k for a bidding card, so does that come off the final amount I pay for the car or is it refunded as a separate transaction?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement