Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lads I have bought a car today at Merlins via online auction.

What's the craic with paying for it? Cant get them on the phone? I got an email invoice for it but no info on how to pay. I dont intend on going there in person, just some kind of electronic payment and getting the car towed to me.

It was €1k for a bidding card, so does that come off the final amount I pay for the car or is it refunded as a separate transaction?

Bidding card will be taken off. Be careful of the buyers fees, unless you have the use of your trade connection. Is there a return option on the email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sent a reply to the email but suspect it may be an automated invoice so not holding out for a reply.

Happy enough with the buyers fee and the admin fee and the storage fee :pac:

Hard not to lose the run of yourself with that online auction though jaysis. Mad stuff going on. A man could end up with a big debt and a yard full of **** cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What did you buy? Another Micra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

2 year old plugs on a Corolla Verso that’s fine 9000kms in that time. Opinions on the plugs?

4-A1-E6-E19-29-AD-4-A64-87-DB-40-F1-B3-F907-E6.jpg

1-F122-AFD-ACB7-4426-B3-F0-C6-A793-DEF051.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

2 year old plugs on a Corolla Verso that’s fine 9000kms in that time. Opinions on the plugs?

The tan colour on the tip of the plug is just about spot on. Indicates the fuel/air mixture is good and health of the engine is OK.
    I wouldn't worry about the discolouration on the top of the plug, that happens to all of them.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What did you buy? Another Micra?

No, missed out on a 206 for a tenner and some other ****e that I would have been killed for dragging home. Was bidding on anything cheap ish and new ish with a bit of NCT over the last few auction for something for my sister. Bought a Auris for handy enough money.

Bit of a chancey thing to do but it's low owners, Joe Duffy trade sale, should be grand I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lads I have bought a car today at Merlins via online auction.

What's the craic with paying for it? Cant get them on the phone? I got an email invoice for it but no info on how to pay. I dont intend on going there in person, just some kind of electronic payment and getting the car towed to me.

It was €1k for a bidding card, so does that come off the final amount I pay for the car or is it refunded as a separate transaction?

It will be deducted from the 1k.

If you bid 500 and won, the final fee is like 625 or so. Very high fees on low dollar cars. I bought and sold yokes there over the years.

The no reserve auctions and the main dealer direct cars can be good finds, but I'd be wary buying a cheap car sight unseen at an online auction.

No, missed out on a 206 for a tenner and some other ****e that I would have been killed for dragging home. Was bidding on anything cheap ish and new ish with a bit of NCT over the last few auction for something for my sister. Bought a Auris for handy enough money.

Bit of a chancey thing to do but it's low owners, Joe Duffy trade sale, should be grand I'd say.

They’re quite unpleasant, but at least they’re not unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If you don't get sorted I can give you the contact details of someone from Merlin. This is not his area but he will be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think it is filmed in England but some unlucky Irish regged car. As the people say in video how did she get a licence. It's bad but not as bad a video I seen of a woman in America she completely destroyed some persons car and then drove off as if nothing happened.

https://www.facebook.com/snoopdogg/videos/558653675079204

• Advertisement

Wonder how recent that is? X-Trail not taxed or tested.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It will be deducted from the 1k.

If you bid 500 and won, the final fee is like 625 or so. Very high fees on low dollar cars. I bought and sold yokes there over the years.

The no reserve auctions and the main dealer direct cars can be good finds, but I'd be wary buying a cheap car sight unseen at an online auction.

Cool, was hoping common sense would apply but you'd never know. I'd be even more wary buying an expensive car sight unseen :pac:

This was €1900 but with fee's and stuff works out around €2250. So with €1k bidding deposit I'll only have to forward the difference @1250.

You'd get carried away with the €10-50 price bracket stuff but for the fact they end up as you say around 300 by the time you actually own it.
    They’re quite unpleasant, but at least they’re not unreliable.

Exactly. Wouldn't have one myself. Taxed, NCT'd, Toyota, what could go wrong though.

What year is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The gearbox, lol

2009?

Jaysis, nerves are in shreds now!

€570 tax!

Assuming it’s petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

2009?

Jaysis, nerves are in shreds now!

Ye'll hear any bearing whine handy enough if there is any. I've heard of some putting better thicker oil into e12 corolla boxes with some success if they get bearing whine and curing the issue for long enough to call it a win anyways.

Just to help your nerves though I know someone who bought a cheap 1.8vvti rav4 years ago from up there and my god it was some hape of sh1te. Untold amount of problems yet funnily enough no oil burning issues :pac:

It'll all be grand :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

European S4s are now diesel :-(. S5 still petrol afaik.

Surprised at the small gap between "base" and "S" in the US, I presume the base is still a decent engine rather than a 1.4! Bit of a no-brainer to get the S4 really.

There's an A4 with a 1.4? Well, that explains much about the opinion of low-end Audis there. We start with the 2.0 188hp 4-cyl, which is pretty damned small around these parts. Less demand for the S4 than you might think. The S4 occupies a rather odd price slot, if you tool it up you're breaking hitting $60k easily enough, well into 5-series territory. (Same with the A4s, though, frankly). If you want to go fast in a four-door around here, you can get a pretty well-equipped Charger with a 6.4l 485hp V8 for the price of a typical A4 instead. They look and sound very good, too. If you must have a fast Audi, the RS-3 isn't much smaller, the 2.5l 5-cyl somehow gets 394hp, is 0-60 in 3.9, and tooled up with everything comes in at right on $60k, the same as the higher-end S4.
    Isn't the American S4 a bit...meh though?

Well, yes and no. It's got a petrol 3.0l V6 which puts out about 350hp. Doesn't sound like much, but bearing in mind my 4.2L V8 S4 with 340hp was a pretty damned good 5.6 seconds when I bought it in 2005, it's not all that bad at 4.4 seconds for the current version. Doing some quick Googling, the EuroSpec 2020 S4 with the V6 TDI (342hp) does 0-60 in 4.8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I picked up my new 330e MSport Plus during the week .. haven't managed to get much milage on it yet but so far I'm absolutely loving it - it will take a bit of getting used to with the compromise on size but the actual driving makes up for it so far !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

whippet wrote: »
    I picked up my new 330e MSport Plus during the week .. haven't managed to get much milage on it yet but so far I'm absolutely loving it - it will take a bit of getting used to with the compromise on size but the actual driving makes up for it so far !

Pics or it didn't happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Folks, is there a way to check online if a car is currently taxed, and for how long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Pretend to add an advert to cars Ireland.

Pics or it didn't happen!

515386.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Well wear whippet! Portimao blue is a nice colour in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Lads what site do you recommend for a motor check on a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Well wear whippet, looks lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Nice contrast with the previous gen 3 behind.

FB-IMG-1591468048236.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Got caught speeding today. Gutted. Was so focused on conversation with herself I hadn't noticed my speed drifting upwards. Caught doing 64 in 50 zone but the 60 zone resumed maybe 100m up the road from where I was caught. Just a bit too eager.

Garda hiding down a driveway. Entirely non-visible. Scared the crap outta me when he stepped out onto the road to flag me because it was such a surprise. Assumed it was a Covid checkpoint to be honest so was confused when he asked me about my speed 😂 Thought he was just giving me a warning because he was nice and friendly the whole time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi
    Wifes G30 automatic appears to have a dpf issue. Car was practically parked up for 6 weeks while she was WFH. She mentioned power issue yesterday, I've just taken it for a motorway spin and it definitely seens to be down in power in the lower gears almost like the autobox isn't selecting the correct gear. After 30 minutes or so it appeared to be back to normal. Think it needs to be looked over , 2 years old 50K it's not due service for months. What's the remedy? Do they replace them or clean them? Big issue or no?
    Thanks

If it's 2 years old it's still under warranty so get it to a dealer and let them sort it out. Any advice given here is just guesswork.

Yeah, sure you dont even know if it's the DPF. Is there any warning lights on the dash? Surely if the car was parked up the DPF woulsnt be being used so should be no worse off?

Just guess work on my behalf.
    She going to book it in tomorrow for a check up.
    What is the fix for a clogged dpf, asking as I have a 420d myself.
    Are they easily replaced , cleaned etc..
    Thanks for the replies

No dash lights or anything. Drove it hard and stopped and let the engine cool down and she was purring then

BMW will tell you it needs to be replaced if it is clogged, and charge you €1800 for the privilege. You can get them cleaned for a fraction of that price but not sure how long that lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't be convinced that this is the DPF just because the car was not driven for 6 weeks. If the car wasn't driven then the DPF should be in the same state as it was 6 weeks ago. I'd be more thinking that it's the battery which if not turned over for 6 weeks would be fairly discharged. Modern cars have lots of electronics these days that put heavy use on the battery especially something like a G30. If the battery was fairly discharged from lack of use then when the car started and these electrons start using it then the car's ECU may have reduced performance of the car until the battery recharged itself off the alternator during the drive.

Fair point, car was used almost daily for short spins for shopping etc during that time.

Car doesn't have big mileage but its all motorway driving, 80 -100 Km's a day.

If there are no warning lights and the car is driving fine now, I wouldn’t be going near a dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What way would she tend to drive....

My dad use to drive the vRS and lights would pop up as he drove it so easy....

• Advertisement

Definitely not an easy driver.
    Heavy right foot!

She drove 80k this morning. Bit sluggish but once engine got up to temperature it was fine.
    Shes booked it in for a once over with the main dealer next week. I'll update then.

ofcork wrote: »
    Nice contrast with the previous gen 3 behind.

That's a 4 series rather than 3.

moby2101 wrote: »
    Just guess work on my behalf.
    She going to book it in tomorrow for a check up.
    What is the fix for a clogged dpf, asking as I have a 420d myself.
    Are they easily replaced , cleaned etc..
    Thanks for the replies
    Plenty of BMW indys can cut it out and code it off. Best option really, will improve your mpg.
    Also, usually they install a dpf lookalike so you will still pass the NCT

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi
    Wifes G30 automatic appears to have a dpf issue. Car was practically parked up for 6 weeks while she was WFH. She mentioned power issue yesterday, I've just taken it for a motorway spin and it definitely seens to be down in power in the lower gears almost like the autobox isn't selecting the correct gear. After 30 minutes or so it appeared to be back to normal. Think it needs to be looked over , 2 years old 50K it's not due service for months. What's the remedy? Do they replace them or clean them? Big issue or no?
    Thanks

If it was down on power it may have been doing a DPF regen then when the power came back, the regen was completed.

Getting the BimmerLink app and a Bluetooth OBDII reader are a huge help with this kind of thing. It can read and clear error codes, check the DPF soot and ash level, request regenerations and keep an eye on the DPF health.
    Wailin wrote: »
    BMW will tell you it needs to be replaced if it is clogged, and charge you €1800 for the privilege. You can get them cleaned for a fraction of that price but not sure how long that lasts.

A clean costs about €180 and takes a few hours. This is on top of the cost of having a mechanic remove the DPF as the places that clean them often don't remove them. Also factor into it the cost of having the car on the ramp for the duration of the cleaning.

This process brings the DPF back to 98% (baiscally new condition) health with no soot or ash in them at all.

Plenty of BMW indys can cut it out and code it off. Best option really, will improve your mpg.

You monster.

I would advise against this. If anything happens to the engine down the line and they need to perform warranty work, having the DPF removed will most likely void any warranty or goodwill they may provide.

That's a 4 series rather than 3.

it's a 4 series alright

You monster.
    :eek::D
    I would advise against this. If anything happens to the engine down the line and they need to perform warranty work, having the DPF removed will most likely void any warranty or goodwill they may provide.
    Of course, if the car is still under OEM warranty then do not alter it.

Of course, if the car is still under OEM warranty then do not alter it.

I wouldn't touch it at all even when the warranty is up. BMW are quite good for goodwill as long as there's a full BMW service history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Well that was a fun hour

85518-E33-EF54-45-D7-853-B-EE79241968-C7.jpg

AB43-B61-C-E25-A-491-C-97-FF-5051-E72-AC836.jpg

314-C747-C-6-EF5-4985-B3-B9-B37-FD6-CA2111.jpg

B14-F4037-0-E5-B-4581-965-C-2885397895-B5.jpg

08-D8-FA8-B-2-F17-4091-9610-20-E2-F0-E91-A77.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement