Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Folks, does anyone know if changing fuel injectors (1.8 tdci Ford Galaxy, 2008) is a big job? Or is it fairly straight-forward?

Never had to change them before so not sure if they're a €50 or a €500 job, if you get where I'm coming from.

Depends if all 4 need doing, or just a seal is gone or what the story is. Could end up being a nice bit more than €500 if all needed replacing.

These have siemens injectors that are somewhat prone to failing but newer ones were updated to be more reliable. A single reconditioned injector could be €150-200 I dunno what a brand new one is probably €300+

Duke O Smiley is after posting a 1.9tdi cheap tax mk1 octavia estate in the bangernomics thread that'd be absolutely perfect for ya if you're still thinking of changing car.

Depends if all 4 need doing, or just a seal is gone or what the story is. Could end up being a nice bit more than €500 if all needed replacing.

These have siemens injectors that are somewhat prone to failing but newer ones were updated to be more reliable. A single reconditioned injector could be €150-200 I dunno what a brand new one is probably €300+

Duke O Smiley is after posting a 1.9tdi cheap tax mk1 octavia estate in the bangernomics thread that'd be absolutely perfect for ya if you're still thinking of changing car.

Cheers for that.

I already did change - I picked up this Galaxy. It seems to be running fine in pretty much every way, with the exception of starting in the morning (glow plugs all fine) and every once in a while it seems to, I dunno, 'hesitate' (for want of a better word) when taking off from stopped.

I am fairly confident it's been lying up unused for a while, and it's over due a service, so Im not sure if that'll help or not, but its the starting issue that's annoying me. If you leave it sitting up overnight, it could take up to 8 attempts to get it going. Starts for a second, and then dies. Accelerator pedal does nothing for 4-5 goes, then slowly starts to make a difference until eventually you can rev it and it stays running. Which makes me think the fuel is having a difficult time getting to where it needs to be.

Have fired some dipetane into it (unsure if it's a miracle product or snake oil) but seemed worth trying. Hasn't made a difference yet though. Have the car about a week and have put about 3,000km on it. If I can get the starting issue sorted I'd be happy.

Mind you, I got it cheap (and I really like the Ford Galaxy in general) so I don't mind if it costs €700-800 to make it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That dipetane would want the whole bottle and about a quarter of a tank of fuel to work correctly. Do not go by the small amount it says to use on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

OSI wrote: »

Stuck in lockdown I developed a bit of a hobby for building models so I decided to make him something for Fathers day, and made a model of his Mustang. Don't think it turned out too bad!

When I had the E30 a friend made me a similar thing. The model was originally a different colour that he painted and made some tweaks too, including plates :)

IMG-20180329-195734.jpg
    IMG-20200628-221732.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

And it's manual. A car like that needs to be auto in my mind.

Completely agree, however she refuses to drive autos. Won't take my DSG gti 1km to the shop.

Went out to see it, he's selling it for a friend & there's no verifiable service history or any receipts, it has that awful shiny reflective film on the windscreen (I know it could come off but gives an impression of previous owners). Drives really nice & its clean but can't drop 20k in a back alley garage on a car with no service history.

If England wasn't the epicenter of the virus I'd be tempted to go over for one.

.........he's selling it for a friend ............

99.999% likelihood of bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

eljono wrote: »
    I visited this dealer recently, the premises and sales people did not inspire confidence. I don't know where they take their car photos but it's definitely not on site. Go in with your eyes open is my advice.

The have two low mileage Golf R's for sale for the last year or more, below average market value and they aren't shifting, bearing in mind that i still have my alert for Golf GTi's and R's left on donedeal and carzone and good ones seem to shift in sometimes a matter of days but generally it's 2 weeks to a month, it left me thinking something else must be going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cheers for that.

I already did change - I picked up this Galaxy. It seems to be running fine in pretty much every way, with the exception of starting in the morning (glow plugs all fine) and every once in a while it seems to, I dunno, 'hesitate' (for want of a better word) when taking off from stopped.

I am fairly confident it's been lying up unused for a while, and it's over due a service, so Im not sure if that'll help or not, but its the starting issue that's annoying me. If you leave it sitting up overnight, it could take up to 8 attempts to get it going. Starts for a second, and then dies. Accelerator pedal does nothing for 4-5 goes, then slowly starts to make a difference until eventually you can rev it and it stays running. Which makes me think the fuel is having a difficult time getting to where it needs to be.

Have fired some dipetane into it (unsure if it's a miracle product or snake oil) but seemed worth trying. Hasn't made a difference yet though. Have the car about a week and have put about 3,000km on it. If I can get the starting issue sorted I'd be happy.

Mind you, I got it cheap (and I really like the Ford Galaxy in general) so I don't mind if it costs €700-800 to make it right.

Is that the Galaxy thats the same as the Alhambra and Sharan? If so I had an alhambra and it had the same problem. Turned out to be all 4 injectors gone. Cost a couple of hundred for the injectors and the wiring etc the same. We also had the same problem in a mk4 golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is that the Galaxy thats the same as the Alhambra and Sharan? If so I had an alhambra and it had the same problem. Turned out to be all 4 injectors gone. Cost a couple of hundred for the injectors and the wiring etc the same. We also had the same problem in a mk4 golf.

Na that'd be the older style galaxy you're thinking of. The 115bhp pd vw engine in particular had problems with injector seals which caused hard starting.

The one kkv is on about is the newer galaxy with the 1.8tdci engine although his issue sounds like it could be injector seals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why do you keep buying money pits????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That applies to cars in general

Ive been driving about 6 years now. I've had 9 cars. I'd say 1 of them was a money pit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Got caught short and paid €100 for two bulbs for the Lexus :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Got caught short and paid €100 for two bulbs for the Lexus :o

Fcuk only binned two good xenon bulbs last week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

statto25 wrote: »
    Folks I've NCT in the morn and can I sh1te find the VLC cert. I can't recall in all the tests I've done if it was ever asked for or looked at. Will it be an issue?

Wasnt asked for it and car passed so delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Quick question, I bought a van that was commerically taxed a few months back, I'm filling out the RF100 to privately tax it.

The tax lapsed in March, am I liable for back tax, seeing as I'm changing the use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes you’re liable.

I think you can tax it privately online?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Quick question, I bought a van that was commerically taxed a few months back, I'm filling out the RF100 to privately tax it.

The tax lapsed in March, am I liable for back tax, seeing as I'm changing the use?

Sell it and buy it back, tax private....( You don't actually sell but you save on the tax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sell it and buy it back, tax private....( You don't actually sell but you save on the tax)

Yep, I'll do that, just a PITA. My own fault for not putting it off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Only thought of it now today is the first day for the new 202 reg. Will be interesting to see what kind of numbers are sold in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Folks anyone know if have to wait a day to tax new car? Tried few time with reg and last 6 digits of VIN got message saying reg and pin didn't match. Switched what I saw as zero in pin for O etc, no joy. Couldn't get through tax office.
    Car registered 1st thing, tried taxing from 3pm to just now.
    Thanks in advance.

I'd say a day or two. I don't know how new cars are done but buying second hand you have to wait as if you bought the car today then the seller might post it today or tomorrow and then delivery to Shannon and once they receive it then the details will be entered into system.

scooby77 wrote: »
    Folks anyone know if have to wait a day to tax new car? Tried few time with reg and last 6 digits of VIN got message saying reg and pin didn't match. Switched what I saw as zero in pin for O etc, no joy. Couldn't get through tax office.
    Car registered 1st thing, tried taxing from 3pm to just now.
    Thanks in advance.

There are no letter O on chassis numbers, just zeros,

They often don’t appear on motortax.ie until the next day.

Do you have any registration documents or are you just going on the number on the plate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are no letter O on chassis numbers, just zeros,

They often don’t appear on motortax.ie until the next day.

Do you have any registration documents or are you just going on the number on the plate?
    Thanks. I have rf100...202 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I recently sent off my log book for "change of address" but I also changed my name (tried correcting it)
    Previously was registered as [example]: Joe Doe
    Now I wrote it correctly as it should be [example]: John Doe

They still spelled it wrong: "Joehn Doe" but whatever (My handwriting is bad so fair enough)

But I marked reason for change: "Change of address"
    Would this add extra owners to car's history?

I am wondering because name of owner has changed, would this count as new owner?

scooby77 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have rf100...202 car.

it wouldn’t be unknown for the wrong plates to end up on a car but no need to worry in your case!
    Should be good to go by tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Well the Garda Síochána are in luck. They have just received 35 new "high performance" Hyundai Konas. :o
    518583.png
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/555036/watch-gardai-take-delivery-of-a-fleet-of-35-brand-new-squad-cars.html

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

They’re 1.6 daysuls.

Sub 11 second 0-60. Registered since March.

Be afraid

Top spec one looks to be 177bhp. They'll be flying around the place, no one will escape.

These ones are 113bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Anyone know what the story is with Halfords? Thought they were open. Castlebar is still in darkness...

These ones are 113bhp.
    High performance indeed :pac:

Anyone know what the story is with Halfords? Thought they were open. Castlebar is still in darkness...
    Email/Tweet them?
    Majority of them should be open, I got axle stands in there ages back when they started to open back up.
    Website says majority anyway.

Interesting (?) thing about those Konas is they’re registered as Kona Kaluai as the Kona is called the Kaluai in some markets where Kona sounds like the word for ladybits.

Did they honestly write high performance in the description?

If that's the case then they must class a Yaris the same.

I’m sure it’s a regurgitated press release?

Could be worse.

From Midlands 103
    Two midlands stations are set to benefit from an investment in garda vehicles.

Portlaoise and Mullingar will receive new Hyundai Konas after the purchase of 35 of the jeeps to add to the garda fleet.

In total, 33 stations across Ireland will get a jeep as part of the roll-out.

Could be worse.

From Midlands 103

They're a jeep now? 2 wheel drive and they say jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Top Part Castlebar will be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

And here was me thinking we were after buying 35 of these yokes

grand-cherokee-srt-fs1.jpg

Cheensbo wrote: »
    And here was me thinking we were after buying 35 of these yokes

grand-cherokee-srt-fs1.jpg
    Some job trying to keep fuel in one of those.
    Plus they'd all be crashed in a week.

If I was to buy a car up north how can I get it home. Is it legal to drive it home if I have insurance even though it is still on northern plates?

OSI wrote: »
    You can drive it once it's insured but you've 7 days to book an inspection and 30 days to get it done.

You can't at the moment as VRT is still closed

Well just looked up MOT history and it had a tonne of advisories(exhaust leak, tyres, suspension worn etc..) so that car is out of the picture. Cool system though first time really looking into it where you can see past fails and advisories.

Well just looked up MOT history and it had a tonne of advisories(exhaust leak, tyres, suspension worn etc..) so that car is out of the picture. Cool system though first time really looking into it where you can see past fails and advisories.

Would love to see it here, transparency is great although with their system there is a lot more room for bollixing with the results compared to the NCT here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Cheensbo wrote: »
    You can't at the moment as VRT is still closed

VRT has been open 2 weeks

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Some job trying to keep fuel in one of those.
    Plus they'd all be crashed in a week.

I have one, plain 5.7 hemi, not the SRT, and 60 litres lasts me a week of light driving, no more than 300km. Works out around €23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have one, plain 5.7 hemi, not the SRT, and 60 litres lasts me a week of light driving, no more than 300km. Works out around €23.
    16 US gallons to do 186 miles?

ELM327 wrote: »
    16 US mpg, pretty much as expected tbh

19l/100km indicated normally.

User1998 wrote: »
    VRT has been open 2 weeks

I can't get a date in Naas anyway :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement