Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I have one, plain 5.7 hemi, not the SRT, and 60 litres lasts me a week of light driving, no more than 300km. Works out around €23.
    I imagine the Hellcat engine is a bit thirstier, especially if they're chasing anyone.

Still, it'd be an enjoyable few minutes.

That's also disgustingly cheap for fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I imagine the Hellcat engine is a bit thirstier, especially if they're chasing anyone.

Still, it'd be an enjoyable few minutes.

That's also disgustingly cheap for fuel.

Ya it's tiny. Perks of living in the middle east. There is a bit of an exodus at the moment and there are some seriously tasty cars popping up for sale by desperate sellers. 2013 911 CS for about €18k being one that sticks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Ya it's tiny. Perks of living in the middle east. There is a bit of an exodus at the moment and there are some seriously tasty cars popping up for sale by desperate sellers. 2013 911 CS for about €18k being one that sticks out.

Start selling them to Rkings :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Start selling them to Rkings :pac:

Might do, a neighbour just put her 2015 Q7 35 TFSI up for €12500. Tempting considering said Hemi is being fitted with a new water pump, radiator and autobox service as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

166man

You need to clear some private message space lad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

166man

You need to clear some private message space lad !

I thought he was banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I thought he was banned?

Is he even around any more?

Well if he is banned it would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Oh right, I just checked and he's site banned it seemed....

I got a message off him earlier :/

Well if anyone happens to know him can give him the heads up ? Cheers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

There's more fun in not letting him know tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think it’s only motors he’s banned from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Pm Fancypigeon he knows/tolerates him :P

Pm Fancypigeon he knows/tolerates him :P

So do I, still not letting him know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How does Barry Cowen as a TD (now minister) get done for drink driving on a learner permit at 49? Did he never gave enough time to pass a test? I could understand it if he was a Green objecting to private cars.

Is the limit for a learner driver much lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the limit for a learner driver much lower?

At that time it was yes.
    It's 50 to 20 now so full licence is 50 and professional or learner is 20

I believe it was 80 to 50 before the changes.

At that time it was yes.

So if he got a 3 month ban, that would mean he was probably at a level a full licenced driver may have passed on?

Not condoning drink driving or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So if he got a 3 month ban, that would mean he was probably at a level a full licenced driver may have passed on?

Not condoning drink driving or anything.

Fine and points I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Am I mad looking at this budget sleepers? Ibiza mk4-5 1.4-1.5t, Polo mk5 bluegt 1.4t. Looking for a bit more fun, Fiesta st 3dr only, don't want to loose 2 doors.
    Other choices would be (these not sleepers but have more room): Fabia mk3 estate, late Rapid Spaceback 1.2 or a late Civic 1.8.
    I have to make up my mind, the current 1.4 is bland but reliable and simple. I don't want a big car either, parking space limited and the car is fully occupied on a rare occasion.

What’s your budget?

• Advertisement

Around 15k.
    I'm not a big spender, have to budget for maintenance as well. Sometimes I'm carried away to go electric but forking out 20-22k and getting a limited range and savings just doesn't justify it.
    I'm doing average mileage of 10-15k kms a year. I'm kinda petrolhead person, but depreciation worries me. The current set of wheels was a bit less than 7k 5 years ago, now it's still worth 2.5k.
    I know the more passionate are you about something the more you are willing to invest. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If depreciation worries you then your best buying bangernomics otherwise depreciation is a fact of life. Cars are never an investment.

That 'investment' bit was metaphorical bazz. Let's not get lost on that word, I know very well that cars will lose money. I should have worded it differently, something like 'it can be maintained on a reasonable budget'.
    If I had a shed to work on cars, I might consider bangers. I don't at the moment, even changing oil takes some planning as to when and where to carry it out.
    All in all, I'm ok to lose and it's great to have few other recommandations which you've never thought of, beacuse you're stuck inside the box. :-)

Ps.: don't worry, I'm not as good as some legend named Frank here.

Are you saying you want a 3 door over a 5 door?

Have you considered a Mini Cooper S, or a Swift Sport or something like that?

Fiesta ST is the best bang for buck I think.

Anyone know what hp a Jap DC2 Type R makes on 95RON? I'm guessing around 180 at the crank.

Just genuinely curious. They are a car I always liked but never owned.

Anyone know what hp a Jap DC2 Type R makes on 95RON? I'm guessing around 180 at the crank.

Between 180-190 depending on what dyno you go to

• Advertisement

Are you saying you want a 3 door over a 5 door?
    Have you considered a Mini Cooper S, or a Swift Sport or something like that?
    Fiesta ST is the best bang for buck I think.

5 door, colm, I can't see myself going back to three. Umm, the shape of those cars are not really easy on my eyes.
    The choices are limited, I feel I have to step one size up, it's more likely to find something nice there.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You can get a 5 door ST from 2017 or so onwards, you'll pick one up in the UK handy enough, it's definitely the pick of the bunch, very fun car to drive, ride is a little harsh though.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/99368/ford-fiesta-st-5-door-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mine made 180whp on TDP's and about the same on TTM's with an exhaust and intake.
    Both were dynapack dynos.

So yeah, 170-180 depending on the engine and Dyno.

padyjoe wrote: »

Ps.: don't worry, I'm not as good as some legend named Frank here.

Who is Frank the legend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Folks quick question, when it comes to importing a car from the UK right now does anyone know if you can still travel as a foot passenger and drive a car back? I'm looking at a car that can be delivered to the ferry but I don't want to waste money getting a transport company to bring it back.

Also, whats the best way to calculate VRT+NOx right now, it's a 1998 car, nothing fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Folks quick question, when it comes to importing a car from the UK right now does anyone know if you can still travel as a foot passenger and drive a car back? I'm looking at a car that can be delivered to the ferry but I don't want to waste money getting a transport company to bring it back.

Also, whats the best way to calculate VRT+NOx right now, it's a 1998 car, nothing fancy.

Yep, know someone who did exactly that a few weeks ago.

Augeo wrote: »
    Who is Frank the legend?

The minder of the mighty Fiesta, how did you miss him? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

YouTube randomly suggested a video to me the other day of two BMs drifting on a track in Ireland so I watched a bit and thought your man driving was handy. Not copping straight away that it was James Deane as I wouldn't really have known what he looks like, but knew who he is. Seems like he's got a YouTube channel going now and have to say I enjoy watching his stuff. He's good at chatting to the camera.

Anyway, the work in this car he has is on an absolute different level....enjoy:

I would guess they’ll put an OMSP of €2k on it unless it’s something special, then calculate your VRT as per the Co2 level.
    I’d imagine Nox would be €600 if it’s a petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just saw an ad on one of the UK channels a law firm taking action against mercedes over emissions.

ofcork wrote: »
    Just saw an ad on one of the UK channels a law firm taking action against mercedes over emissions.

On the back of all the success they had with VW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The new Uniroyle Rainsport 5s really came into their own today after hitting a bad patch of surface water on the N7. Sort of had one of them moments where you say to yourself "thank **** I got them done" after the mini heart attack I nearly had.

The new Uniroyle Rainsport 5s really came into their own today after hitting a bad patch of surface water on the N7. Sort of had one of them moments where you say to yourself "thank **** I got them done" after the mini heart attack I nearly had.

What are they like in the dry or in general obviously they must be pretty good considering the near accident you had.

What are they like in the dry or in general obviously they must be pretty good considering the near accident you had.

There not bad tbh but in saying that I don't push the car too much on back roads etc. They felt wierd for the first 50-80 kms but it quickly clicked with me that it was because they were breaking in. I've put about 4k kms on them now.

While I've no personal experience of them I do believe the F1s Asymmetric 5s are probably a slightly better tyre based on reviews on FB and other forums (they really are highly phrased) but for the price bracket below the Uniroyles are the next best thing imo. It helps that they have address the sidewall issues of the older Rainsport 3s.

Folks, the car failed the NCT, as I had expected it would. Nothing has really taken me off-guard,with the exception of one item, that I had never even heard of before.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here? I've head of wishbones before, but never heard of a 'swinging arm mounting'. I presume this is related to the 'repeat side slip test' that is mentioned below it?

fail-sheet-2.jpg

(and before the heart attacks start about the tyre - it was below legal limit, but there certainly wasnt cord/wire visible. Dunno if that's just the auto-fill that goes onto the form when a tyre fails?). Also, inspector missed a knackered brake caliper that was causing a 'shudder' when breaking. Unsure if he just lost interest mid-test as he knew it was failing anyway..?

• Advertisement

I don't know the exact car but sounds like a bushing gone on the rear wishbone/swinging arm. Depending on car you can just replace the rubber bushing rather than the whole metal unit.

Apologies, it's a 2008 Ford Galaxy (mk2).

I searched around Mick's Garage and I reckon if i bought the parts I wouldn't be far off €100. Which isn't too bad. But I could be looking at entirely the wrong things, of course. Mechanic isn't available for another week or so.

Also, unrelated, but I accidentally went looking for a 2020 Ford Galaxy on DoneDeal. None available. They've hardly discontinued the Galaxy, have they? :eek:

Also, unrelated, but I accidentally went looking for a 2020 Ford Galaxy on DoneDeal. None available. They've hardly discontinued the Galaxy, have they? :eek:

Probably just the S-max now ?

The S-Max and Galaxy are based on the Mondeo platform. The Mondeo was put out to pasture earlier this year because nobody buys them anymore so the writing is on the wall for the S-Max and Galaxy.

............. I've head of wishbones before, but never heard of a 'swinging arm mounting'. I presume this is related to the 'repeat side slip test' that is mentioned below it?............

After the part is fixed they'll need to check your allignment.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    ....... The Mondeo was put out to pasture earlier this year because nobody buys them anymore so the writing is on the wall for the S-Max and Galaxy.

A new 2020 Mondeo was released in the UK so they are still being built anyway.

It's a very subtle facelift of the existing model that came out in 2013 so not a new model.

Is the Mondog no longer for sale in the ROI?

Is the Mondog no longer for sale in the ROI?

Apparently it's not but it's on the Ford site....... https://www.ford.ie/cars/mondeo

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Apparently it's not but it's on the Ford site....... https://www.ford.ie/cars/mondeo

Fords line up at the minute seems to be really struggling so the Mondog being gone doesn't surprise me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement