Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ciarsd wrote: »
    Strange times indeed. 2nd hand car values are strong in certain models - perhaps down to minimal new registrations thanks to the C word. Supply and demand I suppose.

Just pay special attention to the cost to change versus the flattering trade in values some dealers are throwing about.
    CIP probably knows more about that than the dealers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Lurching wrote: »
    Quick question folks:
    1986 car. Is that guaranteed to not have NCT, or does it depend on when it was registered in Ireland?

Another query based on the same car.
    It's a pickup. Could it still be DOE'd at that age? Do they automatically switch to private use when the tax goes to vintage?

If not, at what age does DOE stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Another query based on the same car.
    It's a pickup. Could it still be DOE'd at that age? Do they automatically switch to private use when the tax goes to vintage?

If not, at what age does DOE stop?

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Alternative_Cars_Fuels/FAQs%20on%20Vintage%20Vehicles.pdf

Really good explainer here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Tazzimus wrote: »
    CIP probably knows more about that than the dealers do.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Anyone know how to disable / disconnect an old car alarm on an old Corolla ?

It's after market and not worth ****e. Goes off by itself etc. Doesn't control the central locking either. I can see a black square stuck to the bulk head but the wire coming from hit goes into the cabin so not sure about just pulling it !

The second image below is some sort of key for the alarm I'm guessing ? Maybe someone can advise ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know how to disable / disconnect an old car alarm on an old Corolla ?

It's after market and not worth ****e. Goes off by itself etc. Doesn't control the central locking either. I can see a black square stuck to the bulk head but the wire coming from hit goes into the cabin so not sure about just pulling it !

The second image below is some sort of key for the alarm I'm guessing ? Maybe someone can advise ?

You will have to find the main box be under the dash some where. Hard to miss once you take the panel off and then just trace the wires.

Look for the reams of bundled up wire and insulating tape and trace back from those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Look for the reams of bundled up wire and insulating tape and trace back from those.

There's a lot happening under the dash... Where would I begin to look ?

Very few lads I've seen fitting alarms do a particularly neat job, so look for piles of excess wire coiled up and a massive amount of insulating tape. It'll likely start somewhere under the steering wheel so you can trace it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Cheensbo wrote: »

Cheers. That's moving me slowly in the right direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Cheers. That's moving me slowly in the right direction!

What's the motor anyway?

Folks, i bought a (used) Ford Galaxy a couple of weeks ago. I've still no log-book though. I've a feeling it went missing in the post when yer man sent it off. It's still showing up as 'no change of ownership notification in the last 3 months' on MotorTax.ie. However, he took my old car off me, and that is showing up as being changed.

I contacted him about it and he said someone else he sold a car to at the same time as me, is also in the same boat as me with no logbook arriving.

Normally I wouldn't care, but i got a parking fine today for not displaying a current tax disc, which now means I have to get the logbook to show the date of ownership change to appeal/waive my fine. Assuming the logbook went missing, and yer man that sold it (small indy dealer) is just a lazy git and doesn't want to deal with it, is there anything I can do to sort it out myself?

You don't need to worry. The car is in his name so he will get the fine. Drive a few laps of the M50 as well and he won't be long sending it off.

You don't need to worry. The car is in his name so he will get the fine. Drive a few laps of the M50 as well and he won't be long sending it off.

No, it was a traffic warden fine, so it was on the windscreen of the car. I already have it set up on my eFlow account, too. :(

I am after printing an RF134 form (replacement log book) but will motortax entertain it, seen as, if the other went missing on it's way to them, they won't have me on the system as the owner and will ignore me looking for a logbook for the car?

(there is a section on the RF134 form where i wrote that i believe it went missing on it's way to them, but im not sure they'll care).

No, it was a traffic warden fine, so it was on the windscreen of the car. I already have it set up on my eFlow account, too. :(

I am after printing an RF134 form (replacement log book) but will motortax entertain it, seen as, if the other went missing on it's way to them, they won't have me on the system as the owner and will ignore me looking for a logbook for the car?

(there is a section on the RF134 form where i wrote that i believe it went missing on it's way to them, but im not sure they'll care).

Yea but it is still in his name so not your fine. It goes by the reg of the car and since he never sent it away it's his fine.

• Advertisement

Yea but it is still in his name so not your fine. It goes by the reg of the car and since he never sent it away it's his fine.

Well nonetheless, he does seem decent enough, and i do reckon he sent it away. I believe it just went walkies in the post, and im not sure how to best progress. I don't mind the fine, i can get out of that handy enough, i just want the logbook :o

Well nonetheless, he does seem decent enough, and i do reckon he sent it away. I believe it just went walkies in the post, and im not sure how to best progress. I don't mind the fine, i can get out of that handy enough, i just want the logbook :o

Best ring Shannon tomorrow and ask what to do. I'm sure it's a handy enough setup for a situation like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

What a price tag.
    VRT must be a killer as they're about £160,000 for a 2016 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

What a price tag.
    VRT must be a killer as they're about £160,000 for a 2016 one.

Joe Duffy had a 181-D version up for €299,995 a few months back - it was owned by someone up my direction as I used to see it quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Best ring Shannon tomorrow and ask what to do. I'm sure it's a handy enough setup for a situation like that.

Rang them this morning. After a long, drawn out automated speech of all the services they dont offer (ring NDLS, visit your local tax office etc) they eventually get to the part of the speech where they say they that if you want them for anything you have to email them as theubsrent manning phones due to covid. :rolleyes:

Such a waste of time.

OSI wrote: »
    Had four missed calls in the space of an hour from a Dublin number yesterday. Only time you get that is when something has properly ****ed up somewhere. ............

them not leaving a message is horrendous carry on, just some gnome told to ring a list of folk and he really doesn't care if he gets through or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

So I noticed a mark in the sidewall on one of my tyres. Turns out it's a deep enough tear and the tyre is slowly losing pressure. Obviously sidewall damage is a potentially dangerous thing so I've been calling around for prices and what not.

Calling everywhere I can for Pilot sports and basically cant get them in my size for a month. Looks like I'm going for goodyear asymmetric 5s.

Not that I have to replace all 4 cause one is damaged but I really dislike the dunlop rt2s (2yrs old) on it so this is the excuse I need to swap them out for something that will have both wet and dry grip.

Some of the crap I've heard from places is worrying though. "We don't have the ps4s but for high performance we have *insert random brand name*" eh no thanks.

On a side note, anyone used blackcircles before for getting tyres? Looks like I can get the good years fr a good price fitted in tyreland kimmage through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Austmcc wrote: »
    So I noticed a mark in the sidewall on one of my tyres. Turns out it's a deep enough tear and the tyre is slowly losing pressure. Obviously sidewall damage is a potentially dangerous thing so I've been calling around for prices and what not.

Calling everywhere I can for Pilot sports and basically cant get them in my size for a month. Looks like I'm going for goodyear asymmetric 5s.

Not that I have to replace all 4 cause one is damaged but I really dislike the dunlop rt2s (2yrs old) on it so this is the excuse I need to swap them out for something that will have both wet and dry grip.

Some of the crap I've heard from places is worrying though. "We don't have the ps4s but for high performance we have *insert random brand name*" eh no thanks.

On a side note, anyone used blackcircles before for getting tyres? Looks like I can get the good years fr a good price fitted in tyreland kimmage through that.

Get it off right away, blow out waiting to happen.

Look at mid range brands.
    Avon, Uniroyal, semperit etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Have you tried Oponeo.ie? Usually cheaper than a traditional tyre shop, delivery is around 1-2 weeks and you could get a tyre shop to fit them for around €50

Get it off right away, blow out waiting to happen.

Look at mid range brands.
    Avon, Uniroyal, semperit etc....

Yep, I'm aware of the danger, hence why I'm looking at new tyres and mentioned the danger in my post.

Thanks for the advice, though I'm set on putting the best I can afford on the car. I know the baby cupra isnt the most powerful car around, but tyres are too important. For the sake of 50 quid difference, or whatever it is, I'm going to be putting the best performing tyre I can on it.

Following previous advise from this forum, and research online pilot sport 4, asymmetric 5 are topping the lists and available in the sizes I need.

User1998 wrote: »
    Have you tried Oponeo.ie? Usually cheaper than a traditional tyre shop, delivery is around 1-2 weeks and you could get a tyre shop to fit them for around €50

Thanks, I'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

Any opinions on this? Looking for a replacement for my 1.6 tcdi focus.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318d-auto-m-sport/25390671 good milage compared to others and still under warranty. What's the auto like on these ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Silly question.
    Why would you remove your licence plate?

Local car laid up for about a year, plates were taken off last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Maybe to make it a bit harder to find the owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Yep, I'm aware of the danger, hence why I'm looking at new tyres and mentioned the danger in my post.

Thanks for the advice, though I'm set on putting the best I can afford on the car. I know the baby cupra isnt the most powerful car around, but tyres are too important. For the sake of 50 quid difference, or whatever it is, I'm going to be putting the best performing tyre I can on it.

Following previous advise from this forum, and research online pilot sport 4, asymmetric 5 are topping the lists and available in the sizes I need.

You should consider Continental Premium Contact 6 too - if they’re available in your size, 215/40/R17? Really good tyres in the wet and dry. I’d say check out Tyreleader.ie for generally better prices than either Oponeo or Eiretyres. Look at tyre reviews.co.uk for reviews, if you haven’t done so already.

As for the places pedalling “an alternative” Linglong, Badyear, Micheálin they’re only selling the crap that they have in stock plus there’s most profit in it for them; avoid as they’re generally atrocious in the wet and have no place on any semi powerful car, nevermind a baby Cupra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Think i got done by a gosafe doing 115km on speedo when i saw him didnt see a flash though .

ofcork wrote: »
    Think i got done by a gosafe doing 115km on speedo when i saw him didnt see a flash though .

As far as I'm aware they only have cameras out the back of the van so if you were facing towards the front of the van you can slam the brakes and slow down enough so once you reach the back you are under the limit. Saved myself a few times doing that but was done once. Some slow driver was annoying me and I decided to let rip passing him on a straight and flew passed him and just seen the van I was well over the limit.

I don't think you see a flash but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Its IR flash. Some claim they're able to see it, I can't.

Interestingly, if you film it, it becomes visible on the video.

They don't flash in the sense of a big bright light like back in the day....

Is vintage tax automatically applied? Car hasn't been taxed since 2003. Taxing it online just gives me the normal rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Is vintage tax automatically applied? Car hasn't been taxed since 2003. Taxing it online just gives me the normal rates

Steady on Marty. Vintage tax can only be applied to a car from 1990 or before. Bit to go yet for you.

Steady on Marty. Vintage tax can only be applied to a car from 1990 or before. Bit to go yet for you.

The car is 85 but hasn't been taxed since 2003

They are probably looking for back tax or was it declared off the road? If not sell it to a cousin or what not and then sell it back to yourself to get rid of back tax due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I see the moronic Greens want to reduce the motorway speed limit to 110 km/h, a pedestrian 68 mph in old money.

That would put us on a par with Norway for a stupidly low speed limit.

Our existing limit of 120 km/h is NOT fast for a motorway by European standards - it's the same as Spain and uber environmentally friendly Sweden, while other countries allow 130 (France, Czechia, Italy) or 140 (Poland and Bulgaria), while Germany still has no speed limit on over 50% of their autobahn network. The UK's nominal speed limit is 70 mph (113 km/h) but thanks to a quirk in their laws nothing will be done unless you go beyond 79 mph or 127 km/h in England and Wales (the APCO guidelines mean you have to break the speed limit by 10% + 2 mph before you get a ticket for speeding) so the de facto limit is 127 km/h.

Once again they are showing their absolute lack of understanding for the 2/3rds of people who don't live in Dublin. A round trip from Dublin to Cork would be nearly 25 minutes longer; a round trip to Limerick or Galway would be 20 minutes longer.

Hopefully Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil will put the kibosh on this utterly daft idea - and soon.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40018148.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ahh! That makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What's the crack with keyless entry. Mine and wife's 08 and 15 cars both had keyless start which I found quite handy. We've upgraded to 19 , Tiguan and qasqai and neither are keyless start. Was there a problem with keyless?

cj maxx wrote: »
    What's the crack with keyless entry. Mine and wife's 08 and 15 cars both had keyless start which I found quite handy. We've upgraded to 19 , Tiguan and qasqai and neither are keyless start. Was there a problem with keyless?

Better off, much easier stolen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cost cutting most likely or maybe it's just an optional extra on those cars? Not every car has it as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Better off, much easier stolen....

Not true. Newer keyless entry systems are motion activated. If the key is sitting on the shelf for a while, it turns off the broadcast, and turns on when you pick it up. This defeats the 'relay attack' that seems to be common in the UK.

If you have an older system, for peace of mind, just keep the key in an RFID shielding bag. I do this and find it actually handy, because my keys are always in the same place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

theintern wrote: »
    Not true. Newer keyless entry systems are motion activated. If the key is sitting on the shelf for a while, it turns off the broadcast, and turns on when you pick it up. This defeats the 'relay attack' that seems to be common in the UK.

I can think of an obvious way to defeat that, but you'd probably notice someone with a jackhammer outside your house :D

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    You should consider Continental Premium Contact 6 too - if they’re available in your size, 215/40/R17? Really good tyres in the wet and dry. I’d say check out Tyreleader.ie for generally better prices than either Oponeo or Eiretyres. Look at tyre reviews.co.uk for reviews, if you haven’t done so already.

As for the places pedalling “an alternative” Linglong, Badyear, Micheálin they’re only selling the crap that they have in stock plus there’s most profit in it for them; avoid as they’re generally atrocious in the wet and have no place on any semi powerful car, nevermind a baby Cupra.

The fitting price on tyreleader doesn't state for all tyres or for each tyre. I imagine its each as it doesn't seem to change regardless of number of tyres ordered.

Certainly helps bringing around though, the difference in prices from place to place is sometimes laughable. Particularly when they're all going to have to order them in specially.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

BBS wheels have filed for bankruptcy - oh sh!te!
    http://roadand.tk/Z6REdLL

Some of the most iconic wheel designs ever. Here’s hoping they can sort themselves out, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Vrt Query here if anyone can shine a light on it.

Using the exact same details on revenues website, same nox, mileage etc. There are 5 different spec options on the drop-down menu. All read the exact same. The result is the vrt ranges from 3035 to 4728, depending which of the 5 you select. Printed all 5 off, the only difference is the current omsp ranges from 16k to 27k, hence giving the varying vrt. Which one am I to go with? Or how do I know which is going to be applied?

It's a 3 series. There's other drop down options for x drive, shadow edition or any other fairly major add on which would affect the omsp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Vrt Query here if anyone can shine a light on it.

Using the exact same details on revenues website, same nox, mileage etc. There are 5 different spec options on the drop-down menu. All read the exact same. The result is the vrt ranges from 3035 to 4728, depending which of the 5 you select. Printed all 5 off, the only difference is the current omsp ranges from 16k to 27k, hence giving the varying vrt. Which one am I to go with? Or how do I know which is going to be applied?

It's a 3 series. There's other drop down options for x drive, shadow edition or any other fairly major add on which would affect the omsp.

Check the co2 outputs on the estimates and see which one exactly matches your cars output

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement