Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

What sort of Octavia did you get CIP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jesus Christ you need a fair kick up the hole and in the Balls if they have dropped....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have an NCT retest today for worn brake pads.

Yesterday the engine light came on! :(

Do any of you know if they will fail the car when they see the engine light, even though it has nothing to do with the retest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Pac1Man wrote: »

Do any of you know if they will fail the car when they see the engine light, even though it has nothing to do with the retest?

I'm pretty sure for retests they only look at the items that need to be retested.

That said, if it was a full test, and the engine light is on, they are likely to refuse to test it. Worth chancing the retest as is! Do get someone to check out the engine light too, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pac1Man wrote: »

Diesel or petrol?
    If it's diesel it's a fail but I believe they oy check what was the issue previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Diesel or petrol?
    If it's diesel it's a fail but I believe they oy check what was the issue previous.

Diesel. Think it's an EGR valve issue. Will be getting it checked next week. Emmissions were tested the first time and passed so I'm hoping they only check the failed items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

What sort of Octavia did you get CIP ?

2017 Mk3 2.0TDI 150 quite standard and manual but I wanted a manual one anyway. It’s the pre-facelift but I actually prefer them to the facelift. Will take a few weeks to get to know it but so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cheap car to keep me going for a while and then I see 2017. Me and you have different ideas about cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    2017 Mk3 2.0TDI 150 quite standard and manual but I wanted a manual one anyway. It’s the pre-facelift but I actually prefer them to the facelift. Will take a few weeks to get to know it but so far so good.

Well wear, main thing is you're happy I suppose.

The GTI you had was an absolute cracker CIP, fair enough you're getting a few quid in the arse pocket but apart from a few miles to the gallon I think you're mad!

Cheap car to keep me going for a while and then I see 2017. Me and you have different ideas about cheap.

Yes cheap relative to my last 3 cars I suppose is what I mean as opposed to cheap car overall. But again it’s what your used to spending on a car feeds into what your perception is of how much a cheap car is.
    Well wear, main thing is you're happy I suppose.

The GTI you had was an absolute cracker CIP, fair enough you're getting a few quid in the arse pocket but apart from a few miles to the gallon I think you're mad!

Yes look not exactly a dream car but I was looking at 330i G20s, S4, S5’s in the UK I didn’t know what I wanted all I knew was I wanted to move on the golf. I figured if I didn’t know what I wanted it made sense to just buy a normal main steam car for the moment.

As throwing 30-40k into a car and then deciding it wasn’t for me in 6 months time would be very costly especially with COVID causing havoc. I got a fair price for my Golf if I hadn’t I would of kept it no doubt about that. I will let things settle out for the moment and see where things lie next year.

But for what the Octavia cost me and considering how expensive any kind of newish car is now I am quite happy with it and it drives quite well and I am sure will be cheap to run again though didn’t change to save money on fuel I never found the golf costly to run. Also the Octavia is somehow more expensive to insure lack of safety features no doubt :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got my 3rd puncture in less than a month hopefully last one for a while.

Motor industry loves people like cip4.

They make a fortune of the changing....

Yeah the pre-facelift is much nicer on the front. Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

I pity the person who had to drive 84000 miles a year in this Hyundai i20 1.4crdi

253,000 miles in 3 years

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283977077160

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd pity anyone that does that millage, even in a Bentley.

I pity the person who had to drive 84000 miles a year in this Hyundai i20 1.4crdi

253,000 miles in 3 years

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283977077160

Works out around 234 miles or 376 km a day, or to put it into perspective around the same distance from Drogheda to Dingle give or take a few miles. Thats rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

That's about €25k on fuel, and I presume a commuter car at that milage.

Would have been better off buying a second hand Model S at that rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am from Lithuania originally and never seen that. Then again, i haven't been there for the last 15 years. The whole hazards flash as a "thank you" for moving and letting me pass and the light flash as a "your welcome"

Not uncommon in this part of the world either (US). Also not uncommon is a headlight flash from someone being overtaken, particularly by a long vehicle like a truck, caravan, bus, etc, to indicate that "Your trailer has passed by my front, you can pull over and get out of the way of everyone else now". Also not unusually followed by a hazard flash.

275 miles a day strikes me as Uber driver territory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Any opinions on new corolla touring sport good or bad? Look nice for an estate and priced very well, or at least in my opinion. PCP deal is up soon so looking at this for a possible move.

Grand car if there's enough space in it for you. Wouldn't be the most cavernous of load areas. The Toyota hybrid set up is a nice drive IMO.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Grand car if there's enough space in it for you. Wouldn't be the most cavernous of load areas. The Toyota hybrid set up is a nice drive IMO.

Going from Octavia so similar in terms of space and the back seat is 40mm longer across on the Corolla surprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Major changes in my work mean I'm pretty much going to be working from home for the next 12 months so very little driving. I'm wondering if I should sell the Avensis and get something cheap for tipping around in. Its perfect and no bills impending. Any advice?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Major changes in my work mean I'm pretty much going to be working from home for the next 12 months so very little driving. I'm wondering if I should sell the Avensis and get something cheap for tipping around in. Its perfect and no bills impending. Any advice?

I don't know what year your Avensis is as that would have an effect. I would look at it like this how much will the Avensis lose in a year and how much is it going to cost you to buy a cheap run around and maintain it plus an older car will be more likely to have issues/repairs needed. If it ends up looking like it will cost similar money not much point getting rid of the Avensis unless you want to.

.............. Its perfect and no bills impending. Any advice?

Would what you'd sell it for get you back into something similar in 12 months? If not and you reckon something similar will be required then there's no point selling IMO.

Its a 131 with 195k km. There's pretty much nothing wrong with it. No finance owing but I've a small loan I'd clear if I did sell it. I've looked after it as I was doing a lot of mileage, it still goes to the main dealer.

Probably looking at 7k ish in private sale ...... maybe close to 8 ...... hard to know really what's best to do. You could knock 250k kms more out of it if you got back to doing big miles and to buy something as good as it might be difficult.

Augeo wrote: »
    Probably looking at 7k ish in private sale ...... maybe close to 8 ...... hard to know really what's best to do. You could knock 250k kms more out of it if you got back to doing big miles and to buy something as good as it might be difficult.

Thats what I was thinking. If I could get 8 that would give me 3 to play with and cover the loan with 5.

For better or worse I've put it on dd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

You could get lucky. A well minded 2012-2015 avensis is hard got and kind of in demand to a point. Especially with a bit of spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thats what I was thinking. If I could get 8 that would give me 3 to play with and cover the loan with 5.

I sold a 2012 petrol auto for near that at the start of the year. Tiny miles though, and lovely spec.

I sold a 2012 petrol auto for near that at the start of the year. Tiny miles though, and lovely spec.

Mine has the same spec as that one IIRC just diesel and manual.

Only realised after I bought the Octavia that the Rear tyres had a very similar manufacture date to when the car was built late 2016. They are Michelin Energy to look at overall are ok but are starting to crack a little and go hard meaning they are a little noisy when driving but actually grip ok even in the wet overall not bad by any means.

As I had expected when I bought it I will get new tyres soon for it. These Michelin on the back are wore perfectly even with 2.5-3.0mm left on them. However the shocking thing here is if they are original to the car which everything points to them being they have 134K Km on them :eek: I have heard/seen rear tyres on cars do 80K km or so before but never over 100K Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Sorry lads but it's "brakes", breaks are those things you take during your work day to eat your lunch

It's funny that's what's impressed me about the car :pac:

It's funny that's what's impressed me about the car :pac:

Likely not driven hard if they're the original, not heavy loads and most likely just the driver in it....

Straight roads and motorway, no back roads or country roads as such...

• Advertisement

Likely not driven hard if they're the original, not heavy loads and most likely just the driver in it....

Straight roads and motorway, no back roads or country roads as such...

Yes I’d say it was all driver only no wear on other passenger seats not that there is a whole lot on the drivers. Yes based on the mileage it did plenty of long trips and journeys. To look at / drive the car you wouldn’t think it had half the mileage on it, it has.

I actually did a lot of driving in it the last few days have 900km put up on it and can’t really fault it. It’s going in for a service tomorrow as they didn’t get to service it before I collected it.

So far seems like it was a pretty good buy.

Does anyone know at what point can you tax a car online can you do it on ‘transferred to an individual’ stage or do you need to wait till the VRC has been issued ? I am assuming the pin retrieval online still works when you have no VRC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

When the cert has been issued, you can do the forgot password email , not before

Does anyone know at what point can you tax a car online can you do it on ‘transferred to an individual’ stage or do you need to wait till the CRC has been issued ? I am assuming the pin retrieval online still works when you have no VRC ?

Just keep an eye on the change of ownership section and you will be able to then as mentioned.
    If it's a new car it usually last 6 digits on vin. I know not new but just saying.

............ I have heard/seen rear tyres on cars do 80K km or so before but never over 100K Km.

Loads of cars put there that do little urban or poor road driving would have rear tyres with 100k kms + on them and still be over 2 mm thread I would think.

The Sorento is AWD, the factory tyres were swapped front/rear at 40k kms, when the rears had 5mm thread and the fronts were just under 4mm ........ at 63.5k kms they were all just under 3 mm ish. Approx 20k kms per mm of thread on the rear.

There's Nexan N'FERA RU1 on it from the factory and that's what I got put on at 63.5k kms. I measured the new ones to be 7mm depth. Suggests that unrotated the rears would do 100k kms :)

Crude measure admittedly.

• Advertisement

Buying a new car would you expect it to come with a full tank of fuel?

TheShow wrote: »

Half at least

TheShow wrote: »

For all the cars I bought none of them had a full tank of fuel. I’d expect around half a tank and that’s what I typically got. Depends on the car cost aswell if it is very low cost <1000 euro maybe you can’t expect much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I saw and HEARD a a 07' Hummer H2 moving yesterday. That thing akin to the dead dinos it was burning: huge and roaring. 6.0 V8, 3t, the features of a baby suv. :-D

There is a fine balance with tyres: you can have either long lasting or grippy ones. You can't have both.

padyjoe wrote: »

There is a fine balance with tyres: you can have either long lasting or grippy ones. You can't have both.

If you are doing loads of 60/70mph cruising you can have both without extremes of either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

padyjoe wrote: »
    I saw and HEARD a a 07' Hummer H2 moving yesterday. That thing akin to the dead dinos it was burning: huge and roaring. 6.0 V8, 3t, the features of a baby suv. :-D

Interesting point to note on the H2. The GVWR is 3900kg so you cannot drive it on a car license here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Interesting point to note on the H2. The GVWR is 3900kg so you cannot drive it on a car license here.

I got one of the Hummer limo's to my debs back in boom times, it couldn't even get from Newbridge to Navan on a tank of juice. I think I recall the driver saying it got somewhere between 0 and 4mpg depending on where it was. Horrible yoke too, the height of tack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They tend to be reserved for the, minority, folk these days. Usually a bright pink one.

I think that's the Ford Galaxy on it's death bed. I think I owned it, what.. 10 weeks?

Drove it on Thursday and it started overheating, needle started going to hot very fast, so I pulled in, thankfully enough next to a Nissan dealers. I got a bottle of 5ltr ready to use coolant off them (€16! seemed hefty?) and the galaxy drank, easily 4.5ltrs of it. Must not have been a drop in it.

Drove on, and not a bother out of the car. Was in it for about 8-9 hours driving after that, and no issue at all. Drove it on Friday for about 2-3 hours, no bother at all.

Then yesterday (saturday) Was on the M1 home and with no prior notice, the temperature gauge jumped up to the max, and the engine cut out. I coasted into the hard shoulder, opened the bonnet to the smell of (something) burning.

When it had cooled ever so slightly (about 15-20 mins later, with the bonnet open), I checked oil and coolant, and both were practically empty. I topped them up (watered down the coolant I still had in the bottle, so about 1.5ltr) and about 1ltr of oil that was left in a bottle in the boot.

It started again, but it sounds horrendous. A little bit like this, albeit not as pronounced when it's idling, but becomes more noticeable and moves with the RPM.

So I'm planning to drop it down to a mechanic in the morning (about 10mins driving) and he'll hopefully tell me it's grand, just needed a bolt tightened and charge me €10. More realistically, i reckon he'll tell me to get it away from him before it explodes. :o

Assuming it's off to the scrap yard, I wonder can I get a cert of destruction and write the whole cost of the car and repairs off as a business expense..?

I think that's the Ford Galaxy on it's death bed. I think I owned it, what.. 10 weeks?

Drove it on Thursday and it started overheating, needle started going to hot very fast, so I pulled in, thankfully enough next to a Nissan dealers. I got a bottle of 5ltr ready to use coolant off them (€16! seemed hefty?) and the galaxy drank, easily 4.5ltrs of it. Must not have been a drop in it.

Drove on, and not a bother out of the car. Was in it for about 8-9 hours driving after that, and no issue at all. Drove it on Friday for about 2-3 hours, no bother at all.

Then yesterday (saturday) Was on the M1 home and with no prior notice, the temperature gauge jumped up to the max, and the engine cut out. I coasted into the hard shoulder, opened the bonnet to the smell of (something) burning.

When it had cooled ever so slightly (about 15-20 mins later, with the bonnet open), I checked oil and coolant, and both were practically empty. I topped them up (watered down the coolant I still had in the bottle, so about 1.5ltr) and about 1ltr of oil that was left in a bottle in the boot.

It started again, but it sounds horrendous. A little bit like this, albeit not as pronounced when it's idling, but becomes more noticeable and moves with the RPM.

So I'm planning to drop it down to a mechanic in the morning (about 10mins driving) and he'll hopefully tell me it's grand, just needed a bolt tightened and charge me €10. More realistically, i reckon he'll tell me to get it away from him before it explodes. :o

Assuming it's off to the scrap yard, I wonder can I get a cert of destruction and write the whole cost of the car and repairs off as a business expense..?

Buy a Toyota.... Get someone to look over the car before you buy another money pit....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement