Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

@KKV would you consider buying something fresher as the older bangernomics doesn’t seem to work for you well in recent years. I think part of the issue is you seem to do absolutely massive mileage which if the car is anything other than perfect it won’t survive. I don’t know exactly how much mileage you do but didn’t you say a few weeks ago you had a lot of miles put on that Galaxy and as you said you only have it 10 weeks.

I know it’s hard to win as if you buy something for 10k and it blows up you are down a lot of money. But if you get a well minded reliable model car with FSH and look after it, it should be quite reliable.

I am not sure on your question re business expenses.

Buy a Toyota.... Get someone to look over the car before you buy another money pit....

CIP4 wrote: »
    @KKV would you consider buying something fresher as the older bangernomics doesn’t seem to work for you well in recent years. I think part of the issue is you seem to do absolutely massive mileage which if the car is anything other than perfect it won’t survive. I don’t know exactly how much mileage you do but didn’t you say a few weeks ago you had a lot of miles put on that Galaxy and as you said you only have it 10 weeks.

I know it’s hard to win as if you buy something for 10k and it blows up you are down a lot of money. But if you get a well minded reliable model car with FSH and look after it, it should be quite reliable.

I am not sure on your question re business expenses.

I'm fully anticipating I'll be told by the mechanic that the car needs it's engine rebuilt. If this can be done for about €500 then I might take a punt on it, to keep it on the road for even another 6 months to get some value out of it. However, the last engine issues I had (C5) cost me over 3k, so I presume I'll get a similar quote again, and the Galaxy will be scrapped.

I've literally, this week, used almost every spare penny I had, to pay off my revenue bills and such, and to jump ahead on the mortgage. Which means anything I buy will be getting paid for by the Credit Union.

I'm tempted to throw a budget together of about €10k and see what that can get me, car wise. The last 2 years weren't dreadful with bangernomics. I got two mondeos in a row, both for less than a grand, and both went for a full year, each, with no maintenance work really needed (a quick service on both when i first got them).

I really wanted a Galaxy (I love the space and the little extra ground clearance is handy too as I tend to go down some crappy roads/boreens). And I think my problem is that I just settled on a galaxy as I felt it was quite cheap for what it was (2k) and figured even if I'd to spend another 1k on it, it'd still be worth it. I've sunk about €900 into it now, between tyres, servicing, exhaust and NCT. I just hoped it would last a bit longer than it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up likes of corolla, avensis, verso version if you want the height and Prius or Prius+

A 1.4 corolla petrol or avensis 1.6 would do the job as they're reliable.... Obviously diesel is what you need but you need a better budget.

I'd go honestly go for the avensis, drive it on and see from there. The galaxy is toast and if it's drinking that much head gaskets, leaks etc. It's going to cost.

The megane I'm using I've put up over 60k km in 1½ years, I've serviced it twice and due another now. Seriously you need to be looking at the likes of these and they're picked up cheap enough. Fluence, megane or Laguna (not many left really)
    Also something nice and powerful would be to consider the Saab 93 or 95 diesel, get the one with the cheaper tax 2010/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The right type of bangernomics will work.

A galaxy that was left up for a year and then tested and sold on by a trader was always going to be a very risky move.

Ba_barabus has a very clean 13 avensis on dd for €8500 kkv could be an option for ya.

Don't go the recon engine route maybe a cheap replacement engine from a breakers and then sell the galaxy to recoup costs but its a risky move.

If going bangernomics old school 1.9pd tdi car is what you want. One that has been somewhat minded and isn't being sold by a complete cowboy.

And a man doing the mileage you are should be checking oil and coolant levels at least once a week.

Look up likes of corolla, avensis, verso version if you want the height and Prius or Prius+

A 1.4 petrol or avensis 1.6 would do the job as they're reliable.... Obviously diesel is what you need but you need a better budget.

I'd go honestly go for the avensis, drive it on and see from there. The galaxy is toast and if it's drinking that much head gaskets, leaks etc. It's going to cost.

Unfortunately, I'm VAT registered, so I have to drive a diesel or I can't claim back the VAT on fuel. My experience with cars is that petrol engines tend to cost more to run, and less to maintain, so it sorta balances out, but the VAT not being able to be claimed back on Petrol rules it out (and is a very stupid stance from Revenue, especially now with diesel being the bad guy again).

I have heard the 1.5 diesel engine in the Megane/Clio/Captur/Kadjar is supposed to be fairly reliable. I believe this is used across a few Fords aswell (and presumably Citroens?)

I'm wondering if I should perhaps join the Duster Fan Club?

I found a Touran by mistake, wonder are they any good?

Not finding many Toyota's in my quick glance, but this Auris looks okay?

Or perhaps this Megane?

And a man doing the mileage you are should be checking oil and coolant levels at least once a week.

Bastard of a thing only got a full service a few weeks ago. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

1.4 Corolla my ass,

Those things have plenty of problems too including needing a litre of oil a week because of the piston seal issue.

I'd avoid anything horrible like that altogether.

Also, unrelated, but i just seen this (a brand new 2020 Captur)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-captur-iconic-tce-90-my19-evap/25286871?campaign=6

How would Kearys end up with a brand new car? 7 Miles? I thought all their stuff was traded in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have heard the 1.5 diesel engine in the Megane/Clio/Captur/Kadjar is supposed to be fairly reliable. I believe this is used across a few Fords aswell (and presumably Citroens?)

Fords and Citroens do not use Renault diesel engines. The only thing they have in common is they are the same capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

They have a renault dealership in cork might have come from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Also, unrelated, but i just seen this (a brand new 2020 Captur)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-captur-iconic-tce-90-my19-evap/25286871?campaign=6

How would Kearys end up with a brand new car? 7 Miles? I thought all their stuff was traded in?

Ex-rental or was intended for rental except not used for obvious reasons.

That's the old Captur too, so they just want to get rid before they offload the new model 'ex rental' Capturs.

It seems to be a D reg too that would suggest direct from Europcar/etc.....I see loads of Capturs/Qashqais all parked up for months in their base in Santry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Ba_barabus has a very clean 13 avensis on dd for €8500 kkv could be an option for ya.

It was bought to do heavy mileage which its done perfectly, work just changed so I no longer drive.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fords and Citroens do not use Renault diesel engines. The only thing they have in common is they are the same capacity.

Hmm, did they in the past? I'm fairly sure there was crossover at some point?

Are Dusters worth looking at? Can always be gotten cheap and cheerful, with low mileage in half decent condition:

For example: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-dacia-duster-1-5dci/25537993

They seem to have all I need (Air Con, Cruise Control, Diesel Engine, a little ground clearance, bit of room).

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It was bought to fo heavy wileage which its done perfectly, work just changed so I no longer drive.

Have you a link to it, out of curiosity. Never really been mad about Avensis for some reason, but wouldn't mind seeing the ad if you have one up?

This might sound a bit mad, but I do enormous mileage, albeit it's done in stages. Like, I might do a full week of 16 hour driving days, but then might not be in the car doing that level of driving for a month (i'll still have a fair bit of driving to do, but just not that intense).

Something I've pondered is would it be worth my while buying a nice car that I like, and then renting a car for the week of really busy driving. I've never had a credit card, which is why I've never tried this, but is there an obvious reason it wouldn't work? I presume one overgrown hedge rubbing down the side of the car on a tight boreen, and that's me nailed to the wall with a big expense from the rental company?

Renault never supplied diesel engines to Ford or Citroen and vice versa. Dacia are a budget brand of Renault and use some of their parts. Ford use Peugeot/Citroen derived diesel engines which have nothing to do with Renault.

• Advertisement

This might sound a bit mad, but I do enormous mileage, albeit it's done in stages. Like, I might do a full week of 16 hour driving days, but then might not be in the car doing that level of driving for a month (i'll still have a fair bit of driving to do, but just not that intense).

Something I've pondered is would it be worth my while buying a nice car that I like, and then renting a car for the week of really busy driving. I've never had a credit card, which is why I've never tried this, but is there an obvious reason it wouldn't work? I presume one overgrown hedge rubbing down the side of the car on a tight boreen, and that's me nailed to the wall with a big expense from the rental company?

I couldn't see renting a car working out financially.

I sat in a Duster before and I couldn't make myself comfortable and looking at that drab interior with exposed screwheads would depress me. Can't see it being comfy on motorways either.

I'd much rather a 1.5 Fluence/Megane with same engine. I had a Megane coupe with the 1.5 dci and I really like it.

Here's a Fluence

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/141-renault-fluence-1-5dci-r-link/25620570

There's a reason that a lot of Fluences are taxis

Hmm, did they in the past? I'm fairly sure there was crossover at some point?

Are Dusters worth looking at? Can always be gotten cheap and cheerful, with low mileage in half decent condition:

For example: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-dacia-duster-1-5dci/25537993

They seem to have all I need (Air Con, Cruise Control, Diesel Engine, a little ground clearance, bit of room).

Have you a link to it, out of curiosity. Never really been mad about Avensis for some reason, but wouldn't mind seeing the ad if you have one up?

Pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I got one of the Hummer limo's to my debs back in boom times, it couldn't even get from Newbridge to Navan on a tank of juice. I think I recall the driver saying it got somewhere between 0 and 4mpg depending on where it was. Horrible yoke too, the height of tack.

We actually traded in one in the boom. Being left hand drive and absolutely massive (you really can’t appreciate how big/awkward they are until you’re driving it) but it was the only car I’ve ever seen to show 0MPG basically cruising.

Myself and one of the lads took it for a spin and we were just laughing at the ignorance of it and he says “Imagine the woman you’d pull in this” and hand on heart just as he said it two lads in a Toyota Picnic drove up beside us and started beeping and waving at us. I’ll never forget it.

I couldn't see renting a car working out financially.

I sat in a Duster before and I couldn't make myself comfortable and looking at that drab interior with exposed screwheads would depress me. Can't see it being comfy on motorways either.

I'd much rather a 1.5 Fluence/Megane with same engine. I had a Megane coupe with the 1.5 dci and I really like it.

Here's a Fluence

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/141-renault-fluence-1-5dci-r-link/25620570

There's a reason that a lot of Fluences are taxis

The only issue I can really see with it (and the Avensis, no offence BA), is that it's a saloon. I know from experience I can get by with a saloon, but it really helps me out when I've a hatchback/large boot space.

Interior of that Fluence does look really well though.

Just look at the Megane estate then, it's essentially the same car.

• Advertisement

The only issue I can really see with it (and the Avensis, no offence BA), is that it's a saloon. I know from experience I can get by with a saloon, but it really helps me out when I've a hatchback/large boot space.

Interior of that Fluence does look really well though.
    Non taken, only thing I'd say is the Fluence and Avensis opening is pretty big, more do than a saloon Mondeo if that's what you had. But if you need good access a hatch is the way to go.

@KKV

What are your thought on this then?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-renault-grand-megane-gt-line/25144442

There'd be more choice and better value in UK or up north like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154019897732

@KKV

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-renault-grand-megane-gt-line/25144442

Nice looking car, definitely takes my interest. I don't know enough about the UK importing craic (well, NI.. I wouldn't have the time nor patience to go to the UK, but for NI i have no idea what way it works nowadays with NOX and stuff).

I really think prices on donedeal, seen as it's a .ie site, if you're listing a UK/NI reg car, you should be obligated to list the actual purchase price (if that makes sense?)

@KKV

If importing you need to be going euro6 compliant diesels as Nox charge is on top of vrt....

It's no longer worthwhile say bringing in anything under 2015 or 2016 depending on the Nox value....
    Near €5k if it's high Nox on top of vrt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/kia-ceed-sportswagon-1-6-ex/25284689

Kia ceed van would suit ya kkv if you don't need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I really think prices on donedeal, seen as it's a .ie site, if you're listing a UK/NI reg car, you should be obligated to list the actual purchase price (if that makes sense?)

It's a .co.uk site also. People in the north sell and buy stuff on there too you know.

I agree it's hassle trying to compare cars though and then having to figure out vrt etc but I wouldn't lay the blame with donedeal.

Nice looking car, definitely takes my interest. I don't know enough about the UK importing craic (well, NI.. I wouldn't have the time nor patience to go to the UK, but for NI i have no idea what way it works nowadays with NOX and stuff).

I actually don't know what you're on about.

That blue Megane estate on donedeal.ie is an Irish reg car for 6.5k

If importing you need to be going euro6 compliant diesels as Nox charge is on top of vrt....

It's no longer worthwhile say bringing in anything under 2015 or 2016 depending on the Nox value....
    Near €5k if it's high Nox on top of vrt

That really is dependant on the engine rather than the reg. A 2012 520d or A4 tdi has quite low Nox.

That UK red Megane is the newer 1.6 dci engine, with low nox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

gotta love 50 euro Ryanair plane tickets

€7,50 for 10 minutes, no point wasting money in Ireland really, just go abroad for three weeks and have heaps of fun. Repeat every 6 months ideally.

20200823-135032.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Diabhalta wrote: »
    gotta love 50 euro Ryanair plane tickets

€7,50 for 10 minutes, no point wasting money in Ireland really, just go abroad for three weeks and have heaps of fun. Repeat every 6 months ideally.

20200823-135032.jpg

What?

• Advertisement

That really is dependant on the engine rather than the reg. A 2012 520d or A4 tdi has quite low Nox.

That UK red Megane is the newer 1.6 dci engine, with low nox.

Depends exactly as I have previously stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

What?

staycation 2020! get robbed if you want to stay there and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Diabhalta wrote: »
    staycation 2020! get robbed if you want to stay there and enjoy yourself.

I think you have the wrong number

User1998 wrote: »
    I think you have the wrong number

2028 called

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭marty whelan

Isn't the dacia 1.5 pretty similar / identical to the one used by Mercedes?

Isn't the dacia 1.5 pretty similar / identical to the one used by Mercedes?

Yeah they put that 1.5 dci in the GLA.

That engine was also put into Renaults, Dacia and Nissan and that Merc GLA thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yeah they put that 1.5 dci in the GLA.

That engine was also put into Renaults, Dacia and Nissan and that Merc GLA thing!

Sure even the C-class comes with Reno diesel engines these days!

No disrespect to Renault, or their fans, but really when you're paying Mercedes money, you're entitled to expect it to come with an engine built by them, especially at C-class prices.

It's worked well for Audi for decades and nobody seems bothered.

Sure even the C-class comes with Reno diesel engines these days!

No disrespect to Renault, or their fans, but really when you're paying Mercedes money, you're entitled to expect it to come with an engine built by them, especially at C-class prices.

Renaults new 1.3 tce is in the new Mercedes A class

Can't wait to tell someone flashing around with a 202 Merc A160 with AMG kit on PCP that! lol

Would you pay 40k for a Renault powered Mercedes?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-a-class-180-amg-automatic-5-394/24506640

OR

25k for a Renault that powers a Mercedes?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-gt-line-tce-140-gpf-my1/25592484?campaign=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It doesn't matter who makes the engine once it's reliable

PsychoPete wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who makes the engine once it's reliable

How's your A160 1.3 going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

How's your A160 1.3 going?

A low level merc is a bang average car, not some high end super saloon. If the engine does the job, I don't see a problem with it

I can remember when those with the rexton would be like it's basically a Merc as there look it's a Merc engine.... Funnily they had the Merc badge on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's worked well for Audi for decades and nobody seems bothered.
    Yes but there's a world of difference between a VAG engine in a Audi and a renault in a mercedes, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

To be fair, that 1.5 dci is fairly bombproof.
    It's one of the few things they've actually done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tazzimus wrote: »
    To be fair, that 1.5 dci is fairly bombproof.
    It's one of the few things they've actually done right.
    Oh it absolutely is. It's in everything from vans to cars.

The 1.9PD Vag engine and the OM606 are both bullet proof too. Would you like either of those engines in your 2020 mercedes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Oh it absolutely is. It's in everything from vans to cars.

The 1.9PD Vag engine and the OM606 are both bullet proof too. Would you like either of those engines in your 2020 mercedes?
    I'm not really a Mercedes fan, but if it was reliable it wouldn't bother me, especially if it's a diesel.
    If it's a decent engine, does it really matter who makes it?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but there's a world of difference between a VAG engine in a Audi and a renault in a mercedes, don't you think?

How though? The end result is the same.

It's funny how it seems outrageous to some for one brand to do it but perfectly acceptable for another because they are part of the VAG group or because they have been doing it for decades.

How though? The end result is the same.

It's funny how it seems outrageous to some for one brand to do it but perfectly acceptable for another because they are part of the VAG group or because they have been doing it for decades.

This issue is customers are paying a premium price for what is perceived to be a premium car brand yet it's being powered by a 'commoner' or even a "budget' car brand.

I doubt Mercedes have it written in their glossy brochures that their Premium new A class is powered by a French car maker Renault.

I'm not saying Renault engines are bad, the opposite in fact, but it looks like the customer is somewhat duped into thinking all their car is engineered by Mercedes and therefore superior therefore they must pay 1000s over the odds for a Renault powered Mercedes.

This issue is customers are paying a premium price for what is perceived to be a premium car brand yet it's being powered by a 'commoner' or even a "budget' car brand.

I doubt Mercedes have it written in their glossy brochures that their Premium new A class is powered by a French car maker Renault.

I'm not saying Renault engines are bad, the opposite in fact, but it looks like the customer is somewhat duped into thinking all their car is engineered by Mercedes and therefore superior therefore they must pay 1000s over the odds for a Renault powered Mercedes.

So a Skoda/Seat/VW powered Audi is more acceptable to buyers than a Renault powered Mercedes?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement