Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

First day driving the Megane, a car presumably made for a family, or a sales rep (both pretty big markets, id imagine for this kinda car?), and there's 1 cup holder, that's beaten into the dashboard in such a manner that you have to tilt a small cup to get it in (it spills) and then you're blocking the USB port.

How hard is it to get a jocking cup holder right.. :rolleyes:

Omg I remember when I had my Megane coupe I could never understand how they spend so much time designing a tool that slots into headlamp to change the bulb meanwhile they give 2 useless cup holders than when changing gear you'll squash them

Great car otherwise. The key card is so handy

Omg I remember when I had my Megane coupe I could never understand how they spend so much time designing a tool that slots into headlamp to change the bulb meanwhile they give 2 useless cup holders than when changing gear you'll squash them

Great car otherwise. The key card is so handy

I don't really like the key card, to be honest. :o

I remember my C5. Incredibly well designed interior, in terms of aesthetics. Oozed "premium" in every way. Layout, materials, etc. were all amazing.

One cup holder, and it was inside the armrest. :rolleyes:

I remember my C5. Incredibly well designed interior, in terms of aesthetics. Oozed "premium" in every way. Layout, materials, etc. were all amazing.

Yeah well the C5 didn't ooze reliability did it?

Actually don't know if yours has an armrest but I used the storage compartment under it to keep my cup. Lol

Why don't you like the key card. Just put it in your wallet and forget about it. It'll lock and start without key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it not key less entry and start.... Leave card in pocket and start the car.

First day driving the Megane, a car presumably made for a family, or a sales rep .................

Doubt many reps ever ended up in Meganes tbh.
    It's a class down from your C5 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

First day driving the Megane, a car presumably made for a family, or a sales rep (both pretty big markets, id imagine for this kinda car?), and there's 1 cup holder, that's beaten into the dashboard in such a manner that you have to tilt a small cup to get it in (it spills) and then you're blocking the USB port.

How hard is it to get a jocking cup holder right.. :rolleyes:

That's not the cup holder, that's a spot to put the ash tray in if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Car dealers passing on savings to customers?

Yes that is what I am wondering as I assume the list price of the cars should drop with the VAT decrease.

Yeah well the C5 didn't ooze reliability did it?

Ah to be fair, until Daly's Engines got their hands on it, it never gave a minute of bother. Not that it has any real bearing on the design, though, in fairness.

Hurrache wrote: »
    That's not the cup holder, that's a spot to put the ash tray in if you have one.

Yeah I know, but they have no other space. The 'cup holder' is replaced on my car with a few buttons for the info screen. So nowhere for a cup of tea to go. :(

Has anyone ever used one of these out of halfords:

263845?w=740&h=555&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

There's a load of dead space on the door, where it wouldn't get in the way, however, i can't see how, if you have to slide it in behind the door, does it not damage the glass when you open/close the window?

It doesnt look flexible enough to be fitted behind the door card, but maybe that's what way it's supposed to go? Looks ideal for me, but I'm sceptical..

Dublin Diagnostics gave me this report of my car:

http://www.dublindiagnostics.com/report-viewer/?regnum=Bk65atu

Not quite as detailed as the sample he provides on the site, but at the same time, I appreciate a quick phone call is all that you really need.

Dublin Diagnostics gave me this report of my car:

http://www.dublindiagnostics.com/report-viewer/?regnum=Bk65atu

Not quite as detailed as the sample he provides on the site, but at the same time, I appreciate a quick phone call is all that you really need.

Is there damage to the windscreen ? There was in the last MOT in December 2019. As well as misting of shock absorber.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?regno=Bk65atu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes that is what I am wondering as I assume the list price of the cars should drop with the VAT decrease.

Most list prices and delivery charges have dropped. Updated pricing for a lot of models now ends in a random amount of cents which just looks weird.

Is there damage to the windscreen ? There was in the last MOT in December 2019. As well as misting of shock absorber.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?regno=Bk65atu

No, seems fine. MOT has a few issues that all got rectified straight away (failed and passed same day). My guess is it got a belt on the front driver side. Not enough to do serious damage, but enough to cause some aesthetic issues (i think the fail says something about the front drivers lights and a body panel there?).

But it looks factory fresh (well.. that might be exaggerating a bit!) in real life.

Got a price today for timing belt, water pump, fan belt and some other bit (could be tensioner pulley he said, but Im not 100% sure). €450 all in.

Seems like a fairly reasonable price. So I'll get that sorted. Have to give him a week's notice, but I don't think it's been done, and car is at 100k miles, so i may aswell do it and have some peace of mind (especially considering my luck!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

A friend of mone who is a newly qualified vet bought a 161 5 seater Isuzu D-max! Its a 2.5 twin turbo deisel, with full leather interior. Lovely jeep. He upgraded mainly as he was doing a lot of off roading and driving on farmers land etc. It replaced a..... 1.9 2008 TDI Golf! :pac: He said the off roading didn't agree with the golf at all! :D

Got a price today for timing belt, water pump, fan belt and some other bit (could be tensioner pulley he said, but Im not 100% sure). €450 all in.

Seems like a fairly reasonable price. So I'll get that sorted. Have to give him a week's notice, but I don't think it's been done, and car is at 100k miles, so i may aswell do it and have some peace of mind (especially considering my luck!).

Why wasn't belt done by dealer or was it private, I can't remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

CIP4 wrote: »
    With this VAT decrease of 2% since start of September are new car prices going to drop ? Is the saving going to be passed on by dealers ?

Got an email from lehanes in cork telling me about the 2% vat reduction they are passing it on to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Put Civic through the N.C.T today and it passed. All it got was a service and 1 full beam light bulb..

Why wasn't belt done by dealer or was it private, I can't remember

Indy dealer. Wouldn't expect them to do it. Honestly, I also wouldn't believe them if they told me they did do it.

Indy dealer. Wouldn't expect them to do it. Honestly, I also wouldn't believe them if they told me they did do it.

Should have got it done by them if it were due, ask to see the old belt and pump....

• Advertisement

Should have got it done by them if it were due, ask to see the old belt and pump....

Ah I offered €500 below asking. Probably wouldnt have got away with that and asking them to do the belt at the same time. So it's as long as it is short i suppose.

At least the work is being done by someone completely independent and i would trust them a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cheap enough

I've done almost 6k kms since the start of August, didn't think I was doing that much tbh..... Sorento is decently comfortable to be fair to it.

KKV, having worked in Micks... Don't buy oil, it'll be delivered smashed and leaking everywhere.

Ding! Ding! Ding! 9 Points to Midnight EG.

You didnt get 10 points, because the oil was fine. It was the Antifreeze that was leaking everywhere. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ding! Ding! Ding! 9 Points to Midnight EG.

You didnt get 10 points, because the oil was fine. It was the Antifreeze that was leaking everywhere. :)

You just reminded me. One time I ordered some stuff from there and a liquid was leaking every where but I cannot remember what it was. I have ordered other liquid items from them over the years such as oil and brake fluid and alloy cleaner and it all arrived perfect without any leaks.

You just reminded me. One time I ordered some stuff from there and a liquid was leaking every where but I cannot remember what it was. I have ordered other liquid items from them over the years such as oil and brake fluid and alloy cleaner and it all arrived perfect without any leaks.

I'd imagine it's a tricky thing to go back to them with, aswell. I didn't lose enough out of my antifreeze to care, but I reckon they'd surely counter-argue that you just used it, doused some on the box, and then complained it leaked?

(and I'm sure many would try that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I didn't contact them just left it be. But it's not really their fault more the courier or postman. It's always the postman that delivered their items to me.

Just thinking about it they use no padding in the boxes just items left in a box to move around while in transit. So who knows who's at fault them for no padding or postman for chucking around the box.

Thrown around and flung into the van.... Like you see the baggage handlers at the airport, smashy smashy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

No it's the packers themselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Speaking of ordering parts....

Google reminded me of what I was at this week two years ago this morning:

Screenshot-20200908-140901-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

Then these landed an hour later from the postman. He told me to lift them out of the van myself as they weigh a tonne, and he's not wrong. If the car ever sells the new owner will have shiny new brakes now too.....

IMG-20200908-140610.jpg
    IMG-20200908-140714.jpg

Found a chap in Tipperary selling GT Line wheels, so I picked them up. I was gonna go to Monaghan for a set of 18" wheels from a Kia Optima, but I liked the GT Line wheels on the first Megane I viewed, and felt they looked a lot better. Plus, they're an actual Renault wheel, so I knew i'd have no fitting issues or any rubbing or such.

They're 17" but they look quite nice in my opinion. They are fairly well scuffed in parts, though, so when I run the tyres down to dangerously barely legal ( :pac: ) I'll put the smaller wheels back on (they still have new tyres) and send these off to be re-furbished, before they go back on again. Will possibly be a christmas present to myself.

wheels.jpg

I also gave it it's first wash today, and de-tarred it. It's been a long time since I did any 'detailing' on a car. Brought me back to years ago when I had a Rav4, that was polished to within an inch of it's life every week. I sold it about five years ago, and it's still immaculate looking when i see it around (person that bought it off me still has it around the town).

Unrelated, but when I was getting the wheels, I also got the three rear headrests off yer man. Mine was missing the two outside ones (just had the middle one). Although I'd get them for the sake of completeness either way, is a missing rear headrest an NCT fail? I'd assume it is a fail, but then if i recall right, the bare-bones Sandero that was sold recently didn't have them.. open to correction there, though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Head restsraints in the back aren’t mandatory.

Wheels look good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement