Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

joujoujou wrote: »
    Car wash businesses are not affected by hosepipe ban. With all due respect sirs, you're just making excuses. ;)

Ah, I actually enjoy doing it myself. And my coupe doesn't have frames around the glass in the doors. And given its age it means they are not water tight when a lad with a power washer goes to town. Hence I generally avoid those car washes... but if push comes to shove I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Did someone say dirty wheels??

IMG_20180828_161920.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What 16?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Auris name sh!tcanned

LONG LIVE THE COROLLA

This sounds we're going to be the only European country where they're doing this. They're still going to call it the Auris in the rest of Europe as far as I know. On the other hand, places like Australia and Japan never called it the Auris. Sure with the return of the Camry and whatnot, they might as well go the whole hog and re-brand the Yaris as the Starlet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

they might as well go the whole hog and re-brand the Yaris as the Starlet!
    NOW YOUR TALKING

It's Corolla across Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re rebranding the Verso as the Picnic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re rebranding the Verso as the Picnic too.

Where I work in the back of beyonds West Limerick/North Cork area there are a good few picnics still on the road.

I went to start the volvo this evening and the battery was dead as a doorknob. I disconnected the dash cam but never took it off the hardwire in the fusebox. Would this gave drained the battery? It hasn't been moved in about 6 weeks to be fair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This sounds we're going to be the only European country where they're doing this. They're still going to call it the Auris in the rest of Europe as far as I know. On the other hand, places like Australia and Japan never called it the Auris. Sure with the return of the Camry and whatnot, they might as well go the whole hog and re-brand the Yaris as the Starlet!

According to Auto Express(I know) the UK will get the Corolla badged hatch, crossover and estate too (they are built there). No confirmation of them getting the saloon but probably unlikely.

For here it's a numbers game for market share. Sticking the Corolla badge on the hatch and estate means they bump up numbers when it comes to bragging rights on what's the best seller against the like of the Focus, i30, etc which don't have different names on different variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

bazz26 wrote: »
    According to Auto Express(I know) the UK will get the Corolla badged hatch, crossover and estate too (they are built there). No confirmation of them getting the saloon but probably unlikely.

For here it's a numbers game for market share. Sticking the Corolla badge on the hatch and estate means they bump up numbers when it comes to bragging rights on what's the best seller against the like of the Focus, i30, etc which don't have different names on different variants.

They're not getting the saloon

....... I disconnected the dash cam but never took it off the hardwire in the fusebox. Would this gave drained the battery? It hasn't been moved in about 6 weeks to be fair though.

That shouldn't drain the battery :)
    It's like having lights turned off..(ish)..... they're still connected but switch contacts are open.

Augeo wrote: »
    That shouldn't drain the battery :)
    It's like having lights turned off..(ish)..... they're still connected but switch contacts are open.

I'll have a look tomorrow after school (dies a little inside) and see can I jump it. My other halfs 1 series has the battery buried in the boot and I was after putting the E36 into the garage and wasn't arsed taking it back out. Don't need the Volvo again until Monday when I tax it again. I hope I don't need to put in a new battery all the same, the one in it is only 18 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll have a look tomorrow after school (dies a little inside) and see can I jump it. My other halfs 1 series has the battery buried in the boot and I was after putting the E36 into the garage and wasn't arsed taking it back out. Don't need the Volvo again until Monday when I tax it again. I hope I don't need to put in a new battery all the same, the one in it is only 18 months old.

In future disconnect it if left for so long.

In future disconnect it if left for so long.

I know.. I only had 2 months off work and just didn't get around to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Got the car valeted last week, they put a lovely autosmart air freshener into it. Looking online to buy a few of them but don't know the scent. Oh first world problems....

• Advertisement

I know.. I only had 2 months off work and just didn't get around to it...
    Got the car valeted last week, they put a lovely autosmart air freshener into it. Looking online to buy a few of them but don't know the scent. Oh first world problems....

Teachers have it so tough :)

Tough at the top haiii

On another note, toying with the idea of putting a spoiler at the back of the golf. Which one looks better? I'm thinking the GTI one, last two pics

https://www.mcgautostyling.com/browse-by-parts/bodystyling/spoilers/vw-golf-5-spoilers-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Tough at the top haiii

On another note, toying with the idea of putting a spoiler at the back of the golf. Which one looks better? I'm thinking the GTI one, last two pics

https://www.mcgautostyling.com/browse-by-parts/bodystyling/spoilers/vw-golf-5-spoilers-1.html

I think the GTI spoiler is nice.

I think you’re right.

Forget about the fancy autosmart air freshener..

Black ice is the old reliable.. :p

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    Forget about the fancy autosmart air freshener..

Black ice is the old reliable.. :p

Nooo fuuck that, sick to death of black ice and new car scent.

Went through a phase of summer cotten and tropical, they are quite nice.

Sex wax is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mk3jetta

the one in it is only 18 months old.[/quote]

You should have 2years warranty with most batterys.....autofactors should replace it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Dramatic footage of man flying his tesla :D. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xFji9-xgMw

story.

I'm like, what I didn't think they made any noise. It must have been the mans screams that alerted the neighbours :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got new front PS4's fitted this evening, Kumhos wore very well but I can see my tracking is out a bit from their wear. Good wear overall from them though and would recommend them to anyone but having the fresh PS4's on now just feels that bit nicer :pac: Rears are already due in the next 1/2k miles too :o

Taxed it tonight too, have insurance to sort for mid September and must get the new VANOS unit fitted somewhere in between along with rear tyres, going to be an expensive month or two :D

S29n2MJh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone I know that has PS4 really rates them as up there with the very best. I think I will try them next time.

On the off chance anyone here is from Galway I am starting a college course up there in NUIG Saturday they mentioned it is ok to park on campus on a Saturday but from what I remember when I was there years ago there wasn’t much campus parking. If there is none what’s the best car park to use nearby for the day. I don’t know Galway too well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You should try the campus first as it shouldn't be too busy on a Saturday. If that fails across the road is the cathedral with pay and display parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone I know that has PS4 really rates them as up there with the very best. I think I will try them next time.

On the off chance anyone here is from Galway I am starting a college course up there in NUIG Saturday they mentioned it is ok to park on campus on a Saturday but from what I remember when I was there years ago there wasn’t much campus parking. If there is none what’s the best car park to use nearby for the day. I don’t know Galway too well at all.

There's a decent amount of campus parking, just most of it is allocated for staff. During usual week it's pretty rigorously enforced by APCOA, you will get clamped if you're wrong at all. Weekends you're fine to park anywhere.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/media/buildingsoffice/files/maps/M12122_150818_Parking_CampusMap-Web.pdf

What building are you in?

On campus is a bit of a grey area, a lot of clamping going on if your not in the proper area.

Cathedral is a safe bet. There's a car park just behind it 5 euro all day parking. Less than a 5 minute walk to the centre of campus. Good luck!!

On campus is a bit of a grey area!

Monday to Friday only. Weekends you can park where you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

There's a decent amount of campus parking, just most of it is allocated for staff. During usual week it's pretty rigorously enforced by APCOA, you will get clamped if you're wrong at all. Weekends you're fine to park anywhere.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/media/buildingsoffice/files/maps/M12122_150818_Parking_CampusMap-Web.pdf

What building are you in?

Thanks for the info I am in the IT building for the whole day don’t have a clue where that is. It is 9-6pm job but I assume campus will stay open parking wise before and after these times.

Just a quick question on oil changes. I have just over 100k miles. Therefore, I was thinking of getting the oil changed every 5,000 km. I was speaking to the mechanic recently and he was saying that changing the oil ever 5,000 km was overkill and that it was fine to change it every 10,000 km as I was doing 46km per day.

He reckons that changing it every 5,000 km only made sense if I was doing very small mileage or short trips. In the end he said that changing the oil every 6,000 km was grand, if I really wanted to do that.

In the honda civic owner manual. States the following:

Replace engine oil

Severe: Every 5,000 km (3,125 miles) or 6 months.
    Normal: Every 10,000 km (6,250 miles) or 1 year.

What do ye think/advise?

TL:DR - How often do ye recommond oil changes on my Civic? The clock has just over 100k miles.

Thanks.. :)

How many miles per year do you do?

I think every 15k km or once a year whichever comes first, is perfectly acceptable in my view.

How many miles per year do you do?

I think every 15k km or once a year whichever comes first, is perfectly acceptable in my view.

15,000 km? Really? That's about 10,000 miles.. .

I just always assumed that once the car crossed the 100,000 miles mark. It was advised to service it every 5,000 mile/ 3,000 km.. But that's just what I read/heard it might neither be here nor there...

I do about 15,600 km per year. Give or take a few 100 miles here or there. It's also petrol if that makes any difference.

Just checked there, 173,000 km on the clock.

EDIT:

This is the exact page from the owners manual on servicing intervals.

https://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213618&d=1466887452

https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Maintenance_Schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I change mine every 6k miles, doing about 10-12k miles a year. For the sake of €50 and a half an hour it's no harm to do.

3k miles seems very low for a modern Honda, but as FN says it'll do it no harm. What engine is it? 10k km sounds fine to me as per the book. Driving conditions are not severe here, and I presume your driving style isn't either.

Waste of effort doing it that frequently, just use fully synth 5w30/40 once a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Supposed to be going to Belfast on Saturday to look at a few cars in Charles Hurst stock. Just googled them there and there are a lot of 1 star Google reviews. What's the story with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The Z gets it's oil changed every year at least, naturally I don't drive it a lot as I want to be able to afford to run my other cars, along with other non car related stuff.

I've probably driven it about 4k kms this year (well, since December when the box got whacked into it) and I'm not driving it as much until I sort out the gearbox seals.

It'll get it's oil changed with the usual 10w40 around Christmas

On the flip side, the Avensis gets it's oil changed every 15k, 5w30 fully synth. 11 months driving it (that long already?!) put up 43k kms, sitting near 363k kms. Still runs like a clock. It's driven all over a lot of Leinster (and south Ulster) on different roads, different loads on the engine, different speeds and never breaks into a sweat. My poor old rusty C220 used to get it's oil changed every 10k miles, 5w40 full synth. It too never broke into a sweat or had issues with the engine (I had a home brew hybrid GT22V installed), I stopped using it after getting fed up changing injectors, which was due to my own stupidity!

Summary: 10k miles is grand for an oil change interval in your circumstance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah i was surprised, the owners manual in mine says every 10k kms too which seems way too often.

I'm just onto my 4th service now doing 20k km intervals and it seems fine. Doesn't burn any in between those intervals and the engine runs great. Would highly recommend 20k intervals to anyone :pac:.

Changing oil too often is actually zero craic except for appeasing your OCD so I'm happy to let it run longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Supposed to be going to Belfast on Saturday to look at a few cars in Charles Hurst stock. Just googled them there and there are a lot of 1 star Google reviews. What's the story with them?

People in general are a lot quicker to go online to write a scaldy 1 star review than they are to write a 5 star review when things went swimmingly. Search most dealers, or most retailers in general and you'll fond a disproportionately large amount of 1 stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Was wondering the same for a long time myself since they opened up Dublin

Appearently people say Charles Hurst Dublin isint great at all regarding pricing

But I remember gawking at a land rover discovery in the Belfast branch , a landmark edition (just fantasy window shopping)

But it was incredibly low milage with a price tag of 67k sterling.

When I looked on mainland UK , autotrader etc I was seeing the same car , same spec etc for less than 25K (and cheaper again !) with only small milage differences.

But id love to hear if anyone has had any bad experience with them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

People in general are a lot quicker to go online to write a scaldy 1 star review than they are to write a 5 star review when things went swimmingly. Search most dealers, or most retailers in general and you'll fond a disproportionately large amount of 1 stars.

From my experience of Hursts in NI, 1 star is about as accurate as it gets tbh. Probably about a star too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Got new front PS4's fitted this evening, Kumhos wore very well but I can see my tracking is out a bit from their wear. Good wear overall from them though and would recommend them to anyone but having the fresh PS4's on now just feels that bit nicer :pac: Rears are already due in the next 1/2k miles too :o

Taxed it tonight too, have insurance to sort for mid September and must get the new VANOS unit fitted somewhere in between along with rear tyres, going to be an expensive month or two :D

Your dedication knows no bounds!

Did you get the wheels resprayed, maybe it's my wonky eyesight as I'm getting older but they seem to be a lighter colour in that photo than they used to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Patww79 wrote: »
    From my experience of Hursts in NI, 1 star is about as accurate as it gets tbh. Probably about a star too much.

Can you expand. Supposed to be going on Saturday.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info I am in the IT building for the whole day don’t have a clue where that is. It is 9-6pm job but I assume campus will stay open parking wise before and after these times.

There's no gates or barriers on campus at all :P

Easiest way for you to get there is head to University Hospital so it's in front of you, take a right at the junction onto newcastle road.

GCWQcAl.jpg

Head down newcastle road until you see the AIB branch on your right (you pass 2 sets of traffic lights)

Zu1kX53.jpg

Turn right there onto distillery road. Follow that road, don't turn left here.

Bbu2E6A.jpg

As you're driving down that road by the river, on your right you'll see the IT building.

vltLOJ1.jpg

Keep following the road and you'll find a decent sized car park (building at the back right there is the Orbsen building - it's right beside the IT building). You'll be grand to park anywhere there on a saturday no problem.

3fvjWH9.jpg

job seeker wrote: »
    15,000 km? Really? That's about 10,000 miles.. .

I just always assumed that once the car crossed the 100,000 miles mark. It was advised to service it every 5,000 mile/ 3,000 km.. But that's just what I read/heard it might neither be here nor there...

I do about 15,600 km per year. Give or take a few 100 miles here or there. It's also petrol if that makes any difference.

Just checked there, 173,000 km on the clock.

EDIT:

This is the exact page from the owners manual on servicing intervals.

https://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213618&d=1466887452

https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Maintenance_Schedule

It's really up to you but I think every 5k km is just overkill. Your mileage suggests that once a year would be sufficient imo. Honda petrol engines are very reliable and I cannot see an annual oil change at your mileage causing any issues even if the car has 100,000 miles on the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I´ve done 30k kms in the last 16months in the Civic, mostly motorway, , changed the oil last week after 16k kms (longest I have ever waited in a car) and the oil looked pretty fresh still.

It is a nice feeling when its done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's really up to you but I think every 5k km is just overkill. Your mileage suggests that once a year would be sufficient imo. Honda petrol engines are very reliable and I cannot see an annual oil change at your mileage causing any issues even if the car has 100,000 miles on the clock.

That every 3000 miles figure is one that I see Americans posting about constantly. Probably an idea that made sense in the 60's, with much worse mineral oil as opposed to synthetic oils we use today. I'd go once a year too tbh, not that changing your oil too often would do harm. It's just a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

That every 3000 miles figure is one that I see Americans posting about constantly. Probably an idea that made sense in the 60's, with much worse mineral oil as opposed to synthetic oils we use today. I'd go once a year too tbh, not that changing your oil too often would do harm. It's just a waste of time.

While working for Volvo in Canada, all the techs told me that 10k km is the norm for all manner of cars. Even Volvo recommended 7500km-10km max :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement