Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

One of the lads had an 11 102 brake caddy and replaced it with a 131 connect 90 brake. It was the old shape connect but my God it was horrible to drive and be in. Caddy was miles ahead of it. Different ball game with the new connect though!

I left the toll at the Limerick tunnel at the same time as a 181 caddy and was left for dust in the Doblo. Can't be the worst yokes. I had one last year and it was fine, also had a kangoo I think which was a bit rougher and gruffer. Had a Nissan NV a few times and that was actually very pleasant bar the utterly shíte gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Caddys are noisy even at low speeds so I can only imagine what they're like on a motorway, and the ride is atrocious as well. The one I was in was a 2008 so I don't know if they've improved them since (the interior has definitely been changed), but I definitely wasn't impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Caddys are noisy even at low speeds so I can only imagine what they're like on a motorway, and the ride is atrocious as well. The one I was in was a 2008 so I don't know if they've improved them since (the interior has definitely been changed), but I definitely wasn't impressed.

They haven't. Hard as a rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Take the seats out of a golf throw them into caddy...

Gti seats be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pimp my Caddy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Speaking of Seats my dads Leon has the ‘Upgraded’ alcantara leather Christ they are the hardest yokes ever the odd time I drive would actually be sore getting out of it like sitting on plywood. Even with 80k km on it they never softened up. The standard FR seats are 100 times miver which is what was in my old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Had a spin in Shadowhearths ibiza cupra this evening. What a fantastic little car, great fun altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

http://www.thejournal.ie/traffic-delays-m50-collision-4219914-Sep2018/

Schools only back and the m50 is a mess. Been driving it this week in the bad traffic. Bound to happen with all the last minute exit from the fast lane merchants.

If only they built a ring round around Dublin....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

bazz26 wrote: »
    If only they built a ring round around Dublin....
    At this stage they need a ring around a ring.

Interslice wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/traffic-delays-m50-collision-4219914-Sep2018/

Schools only back and the m50 is a mess. Been driving it this week in the bad traffic. Bound to happen with all the last minute exit from the fast lane merchants.

We need people to change to mopeds, motorbikes and public transportation.

This should go down well on the motors forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This was the first really bad traffic morning but it's been creeping back up since last week. Not looking forward to the winter ahead.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I drove past that a few minutes ago. The truck looked absolutely destroyed, and there was also a car that was badly damaged on the rear passenger side but didn't look as bad as the truck. Hopefully nobody too seriously injured.

N7 very slow at gone 9am for me yesterday and today..... expected but still.

• Advertisement

Same on the N3 inbound at blanchardstown, stop go since before clonee.
    No amount of buslane avoidance was possible this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I don't like mopeds or public transport (also public transport is brutal in rural ireland) and I know I'm not sensible enough to have a motorbike :pac:

ELM327 wrote: »
    This should go down well on the motors forum :D

So us motor heads have more room to let loose of course....

The way I look at it is for every bike it's one less car blocking my way.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I don't like mopeds or public transport (also public transport is brutal in rural ireland) and I know I'm not sensible enough to have a motorbike :pac:

I thought the same thing but went and done the test years ago.

Now saying this I need to get back at it as motorbikes sitting up last 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] public transport is brutal does not exist in rural ireland [...]

FYP ;)

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    FYP ;)

I usually get in trouble for saying that :pac:

When I was home there in August I couldn't get a taxi home from a night out. Nothing has changed since I left anyways.
    They don't even let you pre book them now for the end of the night.

I really do feel bad for anyone who goes out for 3 or 4 pints and gets caught over this.

I usually get in trouble for saying that :pac:

When I was home there in August I couldn't get a taxi home from a night out. Nothing has changed since I left anyways.
    They don't even let you pre book them now for the end of the night.

I really do feel bad for anyone who goes out for 3 or 4 pints and gets caught over this.
    Yeah we usually have a designated driver drinking and manage that way. No taxis out here!

Yeah we usually have a designated driver drinking and manage that way. No taxis out here!

Don't have that where I am unfortunately so I try to stay at the lads as much as possible but unfortunately that doesn't always work out.

Don't have that where I am unfortunately so I try to stay at the lads as much as possible but unfortunately that doesn't always work out.
    Whenever I'm the designated driver I generally try to drink less :pac:
    But yeah, there's no taxis or public transport in rural ireland. I'd love to see someone trying to do my 50-60k km per year on public transport!

Whenever I'm the designated driver I generally try to drink less :pac:
    But yeah, there's no taxis or public transport in rural ireland. I'd love to see someone trying to do my 50-60k km per year on public transport!

Was at about 80k myself when I was there.

Delighted I moved tbh. Still traveling for work but its in planes and sometimes the rental companies give me cool cars :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Same on the N3 inbound at blanchardstown, stop go since before clonee.
    No amount of buslane avoidance was possible this morning!

There's road works with a stop/go far side of Clonee heading for Dunboyne. I'd say it's the culprit. Village is bedlam at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It's really the little niggly things that annoy me even though they shouldn't

On the BMW in the drivers footwell there's the obd port and just below it is a button to release the boot lid open.

It's a black button with an outline of a car with the boot up, but I just got my car back yesterday from a mini valet and now the the button is half decal missing so the black part is worn and I'm looking at a gentle glow instead of the image of a car

I wonder, without having to order a button is there a way to just lash a decal onto it ?

Image attached for reference !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They seem to be very cheap on eBay. There’s no way they swapped the button on you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They seem to be very cheap on eBay. There’s no way they swapped the button on you?

The thought crossed my mind you know. Strange how it was perfect before it went in then I noticed it afterwards, maybe he skived it for himself or a friend's car or something

But is it not an operation to change it ?

I put it down to a chemical he mightve used to clean it or accident ran his nail down it , damaging it ?

If I had to replace it fully I'd just go to a scrap yard since they're universal between a lot of BMW's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I assume it’s a rubbery button that wears down over time if you use it. I can’t see them scrubbing it. I’d be very curious to see what they drive.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I assume it’s a rubbery button that wears down over time if you use it. I can’t see them scrubbing it. I’d be very curious to see what they drive.

It's a plastic button like a button on a radio I guess being the closest.

It might very well wear down over time but not in a day, but I could be unsure if I ran a shoe down it by accident getting in or out but I don't because over a year of ownership and it's only happening now ? Hmm..

I might keep an eye for what they drive just out of curiosity, I might pop up to a scrap yard and see if there's any around also. I'd say they probably wouldn't even bother charging me a fiver for one it's that petty !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I can almost guarantee you they used a chemical too strong and they stripped it, I've seen it all too much with lads using the like of G101, AutoSmarts super caustic cleaner at far too low a dilution!

I can almost guarantee you they used a chemical too strong and they stripped it, I've seen it all too much with lads using the like of G101, AutoSmarts super caustic cleaner at far too low a dilution!

Yeah I hear you and would say as most likely accident

What's annoying is if it was that simple that he didn't say it to me what had happened.

I actually would've appreciated honesty with it and been grand about it

Tbh I'm grand about it anyway but might still go to a scrappy when I get a chance and see if I can't get a clean , unstripped one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Saw a 182 Bentley today in Donnybrook, a continental GT. VRT will have supported any number of operations, teachers and homeless families!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Historic day tomorrow. Monumental.

My three points expire :)

Ah man, I see the Bandit has passed away today. RIP

Getting my car serviced in the morning. I won’t be sorry to get rid of the pinging, service remainders gets irritating quiet quickly. It actually counts how many days and kms your gone over and displays that I never seen that before on a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

CIP4 wrote: »
    Getting my car serviced in the morning. I won’t be sorry to get rid of the pinging, service remainders gets irritating quiet quickly. It actually counts how many days and kms your gone over and displays that I never seen that before on a car.

Thats been standard on almost every vag since the mk5 golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Same here. Dropped my car to the garage yesterday evening, got an Aygo as loan car. I have a feeling deep down that it’s going to be.. expensive :o

• Advertisement

rex-x wrote: »

They all count down the days until the service is due. I've never seen one yet that tells you how many days it's overdue, which is what I think CIP is referring to.

In memory of one of the funnier, less mentioned lines.
    To sally field:
    "Because you're always hoppin around. And kinda you're cute, like a frog. And I'd like ta jump ya."

Back when sally field wasn't off putting! (well... less off putting)

two and a half of my favourite films. Can't say I cared for 3 as much.

rex-x wrote: »
    They all count down the days until the service is due. I've never seen one yet that tells you how many days it's overdue, which is what I think CIP is referring to.

That’s what I mean TFB the majority of cars made in the last 10 years will have a count down ‘service due’ warning but for example this morning on the MMI my one displays service overdue by 600km / 8 days. But also displays a major service is due in 14400km as the one that’s due is just an oil change. The mk5 golf doesn’t show any of that I know as I had one.

Car is gone in over 2 hours starting to get concerned at this stage it’s only in for an oil, filter change and health check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I think it's time I watched The Cannonball Run again. Followed up by The Gumball Rally for added engine noise win.

They might be washing it with their dirty sponges.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    They might be washing it with their dirty sponges.

I thought the wash would only be about 10 minutes doubt they are out the back machine polishing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I thought the wash would only be about 10 minutes doubt they are out the back machine polishing it.

They probably are if they used dirty sponges to wash it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Every one we get into the garage has service 4 days overdue etc or else they count in negative like service due in -4 days depends on the Dash they were fitted with but most would display as such.

I've never seen one count in minus days yet in fairness. Service due is all I've seen.
    Car is gone in over 2 hours starting to get concerned at this stage it’s only in for an oil, filter change and health check.

2 hours wouldn't be too long really to process the car. We're they expecting you to wait for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Maybe the entire workshop are overcome by the sense of occasion :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement