Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Unless you make them aware or pre book the fact that you are waiting, the car will spend 90% of the day in a que and be seen in turn. The service itself will take 45 minutes tops, the service attendent will have 10 minutes of paperwork either side and 20 mins for a wash and vac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

2 hours wouldn't be too long really to process the car. We're they expecting you to wait for it?
    OSI wrote: »
    I've left in cars at 8:30 for a regular service and still had to wait for it be finished when coming back at 4:30. I doubt the whole service is done as one block of time, it's gonna be split up into different parts that different people do as they become free.

Got it back soon after posting above so was in for about 2hrs10mins. I waited for it they offered to drop me into the town but it is Wexford so didn’t figure there would be much to see. So I just stayed around the garage sent a few emails, looked at some of the cars, chatted with the salesman I bought it off. They did a good job hoovering the inside.

It got the all clear anyway no issues. Actually has 5mm left on front tyres which I though was good considering there is 15k km on them.

CIP4 wrote: »
    ....... Actually has 5mm left on front tyres which I though was good considering there is 15k km on them.

Decent indeed, almost 20k miles before they get to 3mm so maybe

Augeo wrote: »
    Decent indeed, almost 20k miles before they get to 3mm so maybe

They are Kumho ecsta actually a good all round tyre when it comes to wear, grip road noise Eagle F1 or PS4 I am sure would perform better grip levels wise but they are the next level in terms of price. Not sure what the kumho cost but the A4 is an expensive size either way 245/40/18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

What better way to spend a pishy saturday morning than in an nct centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

They are Kumho ecsta actually a good all round tyre when it comes to wear, grip road noise Eagle F1 or PS4 I am sure would perform better grip levels wise but they are the next level in terms of price. Not sure what the kumho cost but the A4 is an expensive size either way 245/40/18.

I replaced the Kumhos on mine with F1 Asy 3s a couple of weeks ago. Same size.

I was paying 105 fitted for the Kumho vs 150 for the Good Year. I'll see what the wear is like, mine is hard on tyres or maybe it's just me.

There's about 5mm on the sorento tyres (all 4) at the same ish kms as yours. Nexen N'Fera RU1.... the awd system must be shovelled lots of torque to the rears to have them wear that evenly. There's nowhere near a mm in difference.

I had a Ford edge for maybe a month late last year, it had a visual display showing torque distribution. It was surprising how even very light acceleration used to result in significant redistribution.

Augeo wrote: »
    There's about 5mm on the sorento tyres (all 4) at the same ish kms as yours. Nexen N'Fera RU1.... the awd system must be shovelled lots of torque to the rears to have them wear that evenly. There's nowhere near a mm in difference.

I had a Ford edge for maybe a month late last year, it had a visual display showing torque distribution. It was surprising how even very light acceleration used to result in significant redistribution.

There is 6mm on the rear of mine and I actually thought there would be more of a difference considering mine is FWD. unless the rears were slightly worn when I got it and fronts were new but was nearly sure there was 4 brand new tyres on it when I got it they are four identical ones definitely.

After months trying I finally converted the parents over. I knew they were looking for a car and spotted this very nice car on the forecourt when getting mine serviced yesterday. So they went over this morning really liked it and bought it. I am looking forward to getting a drive in it. It is a B8.5 A4 177bhp Auto Quattro. Will be a good yoke to steal away in the winter. They are keeping the Leon also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Fair bit of vibration on the Mondeo on braking harsh, wheels were off balance, but I think new discs are the next port of call... Bahh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Needs a wiper, a sidelight and a reg light. Have the car three years now. Good to get a nice handy report sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Fair bit of vibration on the Mondeo on braking harsh, wheels were off balance, but I think new discs are the next port of call... Bahh

Try doing a few hard stops. 60 to 10mph about 6 times in a row, get the disks up to temp and it will clear any pad deposits left on the disks. Really common cause of your symptom that often gets people to buy new discs, thinking they are warped. After doing the last hard stop make sure to drive for a couple miles using little /no braking to get the disks cool down. If you stop with the disks hot and hold the pads on them you'll end up back to square one with pad material on a section of the disc.

If it doesn't work no harm done and get new disks then.

Cheers will try that out!!
    Interslice wrote:
    Needs a wiper, a sidelight and a reg light. Have the car three years now. Good to get a nice handy report sheet.

I see that a reg plate bulb is a fail with the NCT now, used to be just an advisory. Hate seeing cars with dodgy reg plate bulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Behind a 171 citroen c3 today and only middle brake light working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

I see that a reg plate bulb is a fail with the NCT now, used to be just an advisory. [...]

It was a fail, then just advisory, and fail again now. Doesn't really bother me if someone else's plates are lit or not, unlike all them one-eyed monsters. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

joujoujou wrote: »
    It was a fail, then just advisory, and fail again now. Doesn't really bother me if someone else's plates are lit or not, unlike all them one-eyed monsters. ;)

On the last Primera if they were working and bright then it's near impossible to make out the reg.

Great safety item..... Not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

On the last Primera if they were working and bright then it's near impossible to make out the reg.

Great safety item..... Not
    Honestly, for me, number plate has nothing related to safety. :o

joujoujou wrote: »
    Honestly, for me, number plate has nothing related to safety. :o

Hence. The big Not at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got down to the finish of the Cannonball Run in Wexford today.
    So many amazing machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Some lovely motors thought they would have been able to get more exotica being the 10th year.

Driving around Athlone this evening, the centre is all over the place, kerbs half up, bits of road paved. Of course I caught a rim off the side of a kerb, about a fifth of the outer rim all grazed. :(

Don't know what to do with it. When I got them refurbed last year (a year to the week actually!!) yer man said they won't be able to refurb them again (diamond cut)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Speaking of alloys, I found an old set od mine in the roof space of the garage down home last week. They're in rag enough order around the outside. Would it be worth fixing them to let them be sold or do people even buy alloys any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Patww79 wrote: »
    Speaking of alloys, I found an old set od mine in the roof space of the garage down home last week. They're in rag enough order around the outside. Would it be worth fixing them to let them be sold or do people even buy alloys any more?

I got €50 scrap for a set a few months ago. What kind of alloys are they?

I got €50 scrap for a set a few months ago. What kind of alloys are they?

Bog standard ones you see on every Audi rolled out of a showroom around 2012 only they're black instead of grey. The flat silver rim around them is cut up in places so I presume they'd need skimmed. I might even give it a rattle myself on the mill in work. They're probably worthless anyway so if I make a balls of them I'll do likewise with the scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Advertisement

Driving around Athlone this evening, the centre is all over the place, kerbs half up, bits of road paved. Of course I caught a rim off the side of a kerb, about a fifth of the outer rim all grazed. :(

Don't know what to do with it. When I got them refurbed last year (a year to the week actually!!) yer man said they won't be able to refurb them again (diamond cut)

Pic of the alloy

alloy_ikerfb.jpg

Got a price of 80 to refurb it off the place I got them done before. Dont think theres any other option really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

No doubt car buyers everywhere will mourn it's loss

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nissan-pulsar-axed-sale-uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    No doubt car buyers everywhere will mourn it's loss

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nissan-pulsar-axed-sale-uk

We knew this 3 months ago. Not a dry eye in the house.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107217857&postcount=105

First world problems no. 172: Golf had the reversing camera hidden under the badge and would pop out when it was needed, hence it was always kept clean and dry as it was hidden. In their infinite wisdom VW put the camera in the Tiguan directly above the number plate, the dirtiest wettest part of the car, hence the camera is always covered in filth. Why!!!

Could be a height thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

First world problems no. 172: Golf had the reversing camera hidden under the badge and would pop out when it was needed, hence it was always kept clean and dry as it was hidden. In their infinite wisdom VW put the camera in the Tiguan directly above the number plate, the dirtiest wettest part of the car, hence the camera is always covered in filth. Why!!!

The superb had that, if you turned on the rear wash wipe there was a nozzle on the camera. Be surprised if the Tiguan didn't have it. Worked but was annoying if the car was clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

In a bit of first world joy, BMW are bringing out their first six cylinder plug in hybrid. Apart from having a bigger engine (with two extra cylinders), it will also be much better than its predecessor in many other ways - a proper sized fuel tank (69 litres), a lot more power (389 bhp vs 308 bhp) and a heck of a lot more electric only range (80 km compared to 31 km - oh and the new car has been tested on the stricter WLTP procedure so that means the advantage in the real world will be even greater). The engine is a specially tuned variant of the straight six, with 282 bhp.

For now it's only in the X5 but hopefully they will put it in the 5 series and the forthcoming 745e. Better still they could use this as an entry level 3.0 and replace the 30i petrols with this engine, the extra power (and cylinders) would be a nice upgrade from the current 30i engine :D.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/09/06/bmw-x5-xdrive45e-iperformance-unveiled-with-394-ps-and-50-mile-ev-range/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

394hp....nice :). BTW, the new X5 is certainly no looker judging by those pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We knew this 3 months ago. Not a dry eye in the house.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107217857&postcount=105

Much like the Pulsar, that went completely unnoticed by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I heard all employees wore black armbands and flags at half mast the next day in Hertz and Avis when they heard the Pulsar was being dropped.

Opel are delighted of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rathkeale?

Pic of the alloy

Got a price of 80 to refurb it off the place I got them done before. Dont think theres any other option really?

Option B would be just don't get it fixed fair enough its a big enough mark not exactly the end of the world stuff either though. I don't really do the whole car aesthetics thing to that level though so if it bothers you enough its worth doing. Could try buy one online of a breakers I got one cheap enough for my B8 years ago genuine no marks and had a decent michelin tyre on it for less than 80 euro just be careful to buy an actual OE alloy and not a knock off.

If you don’t get it fixed the lacquer will start worming and then peeling towards the centre of the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The superb had that, if you turned on the rear wash wipe there was a nozzle on the camera. Be surprised if the Tiguan didn't have it. Worked but was annoying if the car was clean.

I did not know that.... learned something new.

Got an old iPhone for nothing and put the bmw connected app and spotify on it. My "real" phone tethers data to it. Now have full spotify integration on the idrive and I didn't have to move from android to iOS so happy out. Works well so far.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you don’t get it fixed the lacquer will start worming and then peeling towards the centre of the wheel.

Ye that's my biggest worry. They were in a bad way before I got them refurbed with white worm. Once the seal is broken, all hell breaks loose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Rathkeale?

That's M sport town, just up the road from S line Village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Wailin wrote: »
    394hp....nice :). BTW, the new X5 is certainly no looker judging by those pics.

I don't think the X5 has been a looker since the original IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've always thought the X5 looked well (as big SUVs go), the only thing I don't really like is the new style instrument binnacle, although that's true for all of the latest BMWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, Anyone know if you legally have to change your licence from Irish to Northern Irish if you're living in the North with a NI reg car? Looking online has conflicting info.

Duff wrote: »
    Lads, Anyone know if you legally have to change your licence from Irish to Northern Irish if you're living in the North with a NI reg car? Looking online has conflicting info.

It seems to be a very grey area, or was anyway. I found the same conflicting info and was told different things at various checkpoints by the PSNI over the years. I ended up not bothering though and even when an offence came up and my Irish licence got me off, I was still never told to change it and I was there about 6 years at the time.

That awkward moment when you bump into your ex down the local and she's better looking than your current runaround :pac:

442660275.jpg

Now that is embarrassing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Duff wrote: »

Why wouldn't you want to, presumably a VRT rebate & cheaper road tax?

Call me immature but an Auris sold by Dick car sales and supplied by Cox motor group made me lol this morning.

AC28_CDA6-0379-4_BE3-_B0_BB-_D9_EA34_ED507_D.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's one of the first interesting/funny posts here concerning an Auris.
    Generally they are just horrendously boring yokes altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement