Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's one of the first interesting/funny posts here concerning an Auris.
    Generally they are just horrendously boring yokes altogether.

But as reliable as a well working Cox or Dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Just a heads up. Cars and Coffee Limerick is on the move again.
    WE ARE MOVING TO JETLAND, Ennis Road from October 7th onwards!

McDonalds Jetland have kindly invited us. They have a very large car park (with a similar layout to the Northern Trust carpark) virtually unused, opposite Woodies.

And to celebrate we invite all past 'Car of the Day' winners to compete in a Concours final for the coveted 'Dunraven Trophy'

Directions: M18/N18 motorway Exit '3' (Caherdavin) just after the tunnel as if going to Thomond Park.

Please spread the word for us!!
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishFestivalOfSpeed/posts/830241900432915

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Great to know. I can continue my tradition of intending to go but not ever managing to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always thought that car park was tiny, they must have the spaces across the way too.

48_E53_A45-_D873-4_C3_B-981_C-_DE62981_CB1_CE.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I always thought that car park was tiny, they must have the spaces across the way too.

Yeah I'd imagine the ones outside the underground car park would be all theirs.

• Advertisement

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine the ones outside the underground car park would be all theirs.

Not ideal with passing traffic, but better than nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not ideal with passing traffic, but better than nowhere.

I'd say if they kept it to one side of the entrance to the underground car park, the side farthest from McDonald's, then it should be fine. Only time will tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So I'm playing the car insurance roulette game at the minute. Got my renewal and they're looking over 1300 ffs.

It's a diesel estate car. It's less than ten years old. I have full ncb and a clean license, no medical issues, low mileage etc and most places won't quote me at all online. Please call us to complete your quote as we are unable to provide a quote online.

The golf r was 550 full comp a few years ago. I'm guessing it slipped under the radar being a 2l, where as the engine size in the 330 is the only thing I can think causing this. Feckin joke.

This is what you're up against...

Screenshot_20180913-195508.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep I got a few of them last month. "It's the big engine you know!" is what I got over the phone. Allianz were the cheapest for me this year on the 530d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Ah but you can’t do the sure it’s only a diesel Saloon they are screwing me thing. Bit of a difference between a 1.6tdi Jetta and a 330d both are diesel saloons.

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Ah but you can’t do the sure it’s only a diesel Saloon they are screwing me thing. Bit of a difference between a 1.6tdi Jetta and a 330d both are diesel saloons.

I've mentioned it plenty of times here but if you have a family member in a public sector union see can you get a quote from Cornmarket.

CIP4 wrote: »

I was comparing it to a previous car I owned. Same driver, employment, location etc. The golf was faster and a hot hatch/petrolhead type car that is meant to be a performance car. They are also easily nicked or can have parts ripped off it by scum. The bm is a quickish estate car for kids and shopping in the back.

The cheapest quote I have is more than double what I had on the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I drive a 4-door 1.3 Mazda...

I feel your pain. Sure it's only a little saloon.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

vintagevrs wrote: »
    So I'm playing the car insurance roulette game at the minute. Got my renewal and they're looking over 1300 ffs.

It's a diesel estate car. It's less than ten years old. I have full ncb and a clean license, no medical issues, low mileage etc and most places won't quote me at all online. Please call us to complete your quote as we are unable to provide a quote online.

The golf r was 550 full comp a few years ago. I'm guessing it slipped under the radar being a 2l, where as the engine size in the 330 is the only thing I can think causing this. Feckin joke.

This is what you're up against...

Try Chill for a price with Ivernia. Not sure if they sell through other brokers too.

I got the best price by far on my 3.0TDI from them. I've seen it written that they only cover up to 2.0 but I guess not.

SuperValu can be cheaper if you meet their (seemingly random) we-like-you criteria.

Dartz wrote: »
    I drive a 4-door 1.3 Mazda...

I feel your pain. Sure it's only a little saloon.....

1920px-2000_Mazda_121_%28DW_Series_2%29_Metro_Shades_hatchback_%282010-07-05%29.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

New Fifth Gear on tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

OSI wrote: »
    That awkward moment when you bump into your ex down the local and she's better looking than your current runaround :pac:

Frank Keane really take the pi$$ altogether with their stickers and livery plastered all over the car...

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Frank Keane really take the pi$$ altogether with their stickers and livery plastered all over the car...

I have said that a few times absolute joke. Number plate surrounds and a sticker on the back window fair enough but bloody sign writing.

I've mentioned it plenty of times here but if you have a family member in a public sector union see can you get a quote from Cornmarket.

This got me somewhere this morning. They can do it for 840, so thanks for the pointer. It's mad how I now somehow think that this is a good price....

This got me somewhere this morning. They can do it for 840, so thanks for the pointer. It's mad how I now somehow think that this is a good price....

Delighted for you. Are you going to take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's the one requirement I give the sales dude when ordering, I don't wanna see a single sticker on the car when I collect it.

When I bought the 330 I was asked by the salesman to keep the sticker on the back window and the licence plate holders.

I said to him that once I hand over my money the car is my property and if they wanted me to advertise for them they could pay me.

And there he left it :D

Delighted for you. Are you going to take it?

Probably. Still a few weeks left before I need to decide but no one else was coming close.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Looking for a power washer today, just for the cars. Thoughts?! Had a nilfisk before and it was good.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1577941/Trail/searchtext>Powerwasher.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's one of the first interesting/funny posts here concerning an Auris.
    Generally they are just horrendously boring yokes altogether.

Will be a corolla from now on no more auris like vw going from jetta to vento and back to jetta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Insurance renewed for another year @€;1,780, no one else would quote and to be fair I still think its reasonable for me on that size engine.

I'd say so too. Think your said you're in your easrly twenties too? So not bad at all.

How's the car going these days, did you get the last issue sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'd say so too. Think your said you're in your easrly twenties too? So not bad at all.

How's the car going these days, did you get the last issue sorted?

Yeah only 24. It's flying away now at the moment, had a blown upper hose a few weeks back but an easy change. Have yet to get the Vanos unit fitted as I just had to sort other bits first like front tyres, insurance and tax. Will be doing a service, front discs and pads, Vanos unit and rear tyres next.

Jesus, you make me feel less guilty about spending money on my car now. €3,600 on two disks for the windscreen, not many would stomach that. Fair play, as not many driving V8s either!

Nearly AdBlue time. Where are people buying it these days?

Circle k has it

• Advertisement

Jeekers, you only just got it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

10L for ~€15 in VW dealers. The Tiguan must be very heavy on it I’ve only filled up my Opel Zafira for the second time @45k km. It didn’t even take 8l to fill each time.

How come some manufacturers get their yokes within the emissions specs without the pig pee technology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Augeo wrote: »
    How come some manufacturers get their yokes within the emissions specs without the pig pee technology?

Lean Nox Trap's but I think they are struggling - new XC60's are now getting AdBlue where it wasn't there when current model was launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Augeo wrote: »

Pretty much every diesel has it now thanks to WLTP. All direct injection petrols should have PPFs (petrol particulate filters) now, too. Apparently because they are located right next to the exhaust manifold they'll be able to handle short distance driving in a way DPFs just couldn't originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm seeing lots of 18 reg cars and when they put on their indicator the headlight on that side dims significantly. Any ideas why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Safety feature for oncoming traffic.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm seeing lots of 18 reg cars and when they put on their indicator the headlight on that side dims significantly. Any ideas why?

This is DRL( day time running lights) that dim.

These lights are set to dim as if they stay white it's extremely difficult to see the indicator illuminated.

Look at the Nissan x trail and quasquai and you will see how difficult it is to see them as they don't dim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

These lights are set to dim as if they stay white it's extremely difficult to see the indicator illuminated.

So why the really bright white and not a really bright orange for the indicator so both can work in tandem? Is it something to do with the lumens of the white reducing visibility of the orange no matter what shade of orange they use? Also is this some sort of new standard across all new cars or have only the more expensive marks adopted it? Ive noticed it a lot on Audis and Mercs but dont think its across all brands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Most new cars have pretty good indicators now days or at least when driver uses them. The most recent Ford Smax rear indicator is terrible. It's nearly as bad as the Passat B6 where you could barely see the indicator if the brake lights were on.

So why the really bright white and not a really bright orange for the indicator so both can work in tandem? Is it something to do with the lumens of the white reducing visibility of the orange no matter what shade of orange they use? Also is this some sort of new standard across all new cars or have only the more expensive marks adopted it? Ive noticed it a lot on Audis and Mercs but dont think its across all brands?

Because it's cheaper to use ordinary halogen lamps for the rest.

Lovely bright led etc and an ordinary orange bulb for indicator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Dealers are probably cheapest.

Make sure it has the breathable filler on it as it makes it easy to top up. I'd also probably not empty the bottle in as there's no way of knowing if the tanks full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Halfords have 10l for €11

SEAT are finally getting a full digital instrument display in the new Tarraco. Mad they are only launching it late 2018 when it was in some Audi from late 2015 in VW around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Having a rant but seriously 3 points for 109 km on the n11 motorway when it goes up to 120 2km up the road. Seriously when are we going to get a system like in the uk where logic thinking has taken place where you can do 10% plus 3 mph. This is the second time I've been done on the n11 for maniac driving just a little over the marked speed limit. Farce.kip of a road. Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Having a rant but seriously 3 points for 109 km on the n11 motorway when it goes up to 120 2km up the road. Seriously when are we going to get a system like in the uk where logic thinking has taken place where you can do 10% plus 3 mph. This is the second time I've been done on the n11 for maniac driving just a little over the marked speed limit. Farce.kip of a road. Rant over.

Just don't go up to 109 until you get to the 120km/h section. The 9km/h over 2km distance would be completely negligible as regards saving time.

So why the really bright white and not a really bright orange for the indicator so both can work in tandem?..........

My indicators and DRs work in tandem ........... the dimming DRLs are a tad gnomey looking IMO

Patww79 wrote: »
    Just don't go up to 109 until you get to the 120km/h section. The 9km/h over 2km distance would be completely negligible as regards saving time.

There should be an allowance for this, why in the uk is it in place obviously there has been an appeal or something but if your going to do someone for 'speeding' at least make it fair. So should I get minus points each time I drive past at the recorded speed which is every other fking day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JJJJNR wrote: »
    There should be an allowance for this, why in the uk is it in place obviously there has been an appeal or something but if your going to do someone for 'speeding' at least make it fair. So should I get minus points each time I drive past at the recorded speed which is every other fking day.

It is fair. There's big signs up saying 100km/h and you were going above that, so I don't see what the problem is? I know nobody wants points but you seem to know well where the 120 starts so why didn't you just wait til then to go above the 100?
    Not sure why you want points taken off for obeying the speed limits, it's what you're supposed to do. Just don't get them in the first place.

What's the 9km/h gaining you? Are you on that tight a schedule that a few minutes makes that much of a difference?

Patww79 wrote: »
    It is fair. There's big signs up saying 100km/h and you were going above that, so I don't see what the problem is? I know nobody wants points but you seem to know well where the 120 starts so why didn't you just wait til then to go above the 100?
    Not sure why you want points taken off for obeying the speed limits, it's what you're supposed to do. Just don't get them in the first place.

What's the 9km/h gaining you? Are you on that tight a schedule that a few minutes makes that much of a difference?

in fairness nothing, though there seems to be a bit more logic with the traffic corps where they do tend to let a strayer go for a little bit over the marked speed.

When you are doing 109kph what is your indicated speed? Presumably it's a tad more?

Also it's a limit, not a target so no bonus points would be applicable for going by at the limit :)

If you were done for going 101/102/103/104kph I'd see your point but not when you are almost 10% over the actual limit so quite likely your indicated speed was showing you going at 110kph+.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement