Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

So this happened yesterday :(

Xr7zOpbh.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    :(

Car park pillar?

Collision on a roundabout :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Aaahhhh nasty feel your pain Norman that's not nice looking at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Balls.

You & everyone involved OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dam roundabouts......

I've now been hit 3 times on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Bastards! Once your alright the car can be fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Went to go into Obama today (after not a single space being available in Birdhill) and they had some event on taking up half the car park. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's pretty bad FN, hopefully insurance sorts it.

My 325 has developed an interesting problem, rev it to 4k+ and it misfires and goes into reduced power. Not sure if a cylinder is going offline entirely. Reckon its injector problems, this'll be fun. Oh, and I've an NCT on Tuesday :pac:

Hopefully they don't rev it that high and it sneaks through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nixonbot wrote: »
    That's pretty bad FN, hopefully insurance sorts it.

My 325 has developed an interesting problem, rev it to 4k+ and it misfires and goes into reduced power. Not sure if a cylinder is going offline entirely. Reckon its injector problems, this'll be fun. Oh, and I've an NCT on Tuesday :pac:

Hopefully they don't rev it that high and it sneaks through.

Usually test at 2.5k rev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Usually test at 2.5k rev

Excellent. As long as they don't rev it into the centre, which they usually do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Strabane Man Arrested After Traveling 174mph To Get To 'Chinese' Before It Closed

https://www.collegetimes.com/life/man-arrested-traveling-174mph-get-chinese-closed-153771

Cheers lads, pain in the ass!
    Augeo wrote: »
    You & everyone involved OK?

Thankfully everyone involved seems OK, myself and the woman both all good bar the fella's wife that was in the car that hit me :rolleyes:

Ended up recovering the weekend by staying in Killarney for the night and some retail therapy today :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

h3000 wrote: »
    Just a heads up. Cars and Coffee Limerick is on the move again.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishFestivalOfSpeed/posts/830241900432915

Scratch that move.

https://www.facebook.com/155205617936550/posts/843814385742333/
    The October move to McDonalds Jetland has been cancelled! Try as we might this is beyond our control as we were notified only this week that Dunnes Stores the owners of the car park will not allow us to use it. So the October 7th meet will remain at the Factory Castletroy as usual. Please share this post to help us spread the word.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Ouch! Looking worse from this angle, glad to hear all were okay FN

Today marks exactly a year since I started driving the Avensis, as it took a few weeks to get right before I started driving it. It's the 2nd longest I've had a daily driver constant next to my first daily driver, a 1999 Fiat Bravo in 2008, which I had in service for 2 years. Since I have other cars to drive for leisure and have no desire to increase the engines power output, this doesn't have to have a mutant pump/turbo setup thus is driven in a mundane, eventless manner most of the time. Have 45k kms up within that year, a few more parking scars (by others naturally, except for the scrape on the front bumper I did myself!) and a few cosmetic changes. Otherwise, it hasn't lost it's modern feel to me, still functions well and still drives well. It has cost buttons to keep going to a high mechanical standard with no special tools (except for the likes of the axle swap), so I cannot for the life understand why anyone would complain about the price of motoring on a car of it's vintage. It fits well in the bog, in a field, in the snow, in the local village, parked outside Trinity college, battering down the motorway etc. It has served as a taxi, van, Friday night cruising with doney tray and rescue service to many. It fits in absolutely anywhere and has gone long distances without breaking into a sweat or causing me discomfort, which is something I needed for a while. To say I'm impressed with it is an understatement. Imagine telling me 4 years ago I'd end up in an Avensis and think it was the business... How times have changed! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hose on my 9 year old Nilfisk pressure washer split on Saturday when I was cleaning the car. Replacement is costing around €40 on the likes of ebay, local guy wanted €55+vat for one ffs.

Pressure washer itself is working fine and hasn't missed a beat in 9 years which is the killer but I can buy a slightly more powerful washer for €75 delivered:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N34KV8E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I see images of the new 3 Series have surfaced:

ffd64044-2019-bmw-340i-4.jpg?itok=dQL7xLT6

db39a4e2-2019-bmw-340i-2.jpg?itok=FtNjvWmh

f3d90e3d-2019-bmw-3-series-interior-11.jpg?itok=gLffv9uv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow. It could almost be 2005 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Focail ghana here today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

got the car out again today and remembered the headlight is gone, have been on the bike since the day after it went. Took out the bulb and it's not xenon at all it's a h7 osram bulb! Best halogen headlights by miles I've used I was 100% sure they were xenons.

totally new to galway are there any good or bad motorfactors? going to head out and get a replacement bulb today while it's still bright out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The front end is very Lexusy with its sharp points, don't like it. I do like the rear and interior. Gearstick gone in place of buttons or a selector like Jags?

Shifter seems to be there in one or two shots then gone in others, might be removed in higher spec models?

c88840b7-2019-bmw-3-series-interior-3.jpg?itok=0r5Emawb

e464f8b6-2019-bmw-3-series-interior-8.jpg?itok=10FaaESE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hose on my 9 year old Nilfisk pressure washer split on Saturday when I was cleaning the car. Replacement is costing around €40 on the likes of ebay, local guy wanted €55+vat for one ffs.

Pressure washer itself is working fine and hasn't missed a beat in 9 years which is the killer but I can buy a slightly more powerful washer for €75 delivered:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N34KV8E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I'll text you later, we carry Nilfisk washers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

got the car out again today and remembered the headlight is gone, have been on the bike since the day after it went. Took out the bulb and it's not xenon at all it's a h7 osram bulb! Best halogen headlights by miles I've used I was 100% sure they were xenons.

totally new to galway are there any good or bad motorfactors? going to head out and get a replacement bulb today while it's still bright out

Partway on the Tuam road.

I'll text you later, we carry Nilfisk washers.

Look out he's comin' through, he's got a job to do...while he rescues the Nilfisk!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Partway on the Tuam road.
    I know around that place went and picked up a bangernomics honda jazz around the corner earlier this year. thanks

OSI wrote: »
    Might be the hybrid models with no gear selector?

Good thinking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not a fan of the dial gear selector - prefer a knob in my hand! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Normally use Calbro MF. Fairly decent.

The shape of that 3 series looks alot like a merc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Interslice wrote: »
    The shape of that 3 series looks alot like a merc.

Weirdly I see something Alfa Giulia about the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Screenshot_20181001-181732.png

Looks like a photoshop gone wrong. Bit like the current Lexus and Merc options alright :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Reminds me of an Alfa Giulia from the side and rear (and that's not a good thing because that must be the worst looking Alfa in yonks). Not gone on the new interpretations of the Hofmeister Kink. Don't have a problem with the grilles being joined together, it's actually what BMW used to do in the past so it's welcome to see it back.

Interior a big step forward from the G30 but I don't like the fact that the proper handbrake is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

bazz26 wrote:

How do you feed the water to it, is it a barrel with a butt at the bottom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Does anyone else hate the trend of screens for speedo, tach etc. I want proper mechanical dials and needles, a screen is not the same :(

rex-x wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate the trend of screens for speedo, tach etc. I want proper mechanical dials and needles, a screen is not the same :(

Looks pure tach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Interslice wrote: »
    Looks pure tach.

Tach & Speedo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Weirdly I see something Alfa Giulia about the rear

Anything looking more Alfa is normally a good thing.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Tach & Speedo?

A bit ye. Like something out of a computer game.

https://youtu.be/Qd1pEwr4RkI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

rex-x wrote: »

I was very like this and always liked the mechanical gauges but my current A4 has virtual cockpit and it is very good loads of info available. Every time I drive another car with normal gauges I miss the screen.

How do you feed the water to it, is it a barrel with a butt at the bottom?

Basic outdoor mains tap connected to a normal garden hose reel at one end. The part that's split is the stiff hose reel from the lance gun to the power washer itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Basic outdoor mains tap connected to a normal garden hose reel at one end. The part that's split is the stiff hose reel from the lance gun to the power washer itself.

I have a spare at home but I'm in Cork, Do you ever be down this side as I've a spare one you are welcome to have!

Truckermal wrote: »
    I have a spare at home but I'm in Cork, Do you ever be down this side as I've a spare one you are welcome to have!

Cheers Mal, that's very decent of you. I will keep that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

bazz26 wrote:

Oh I know that, sorry didn't make that Clear!

Was just wondering where your water source was. Thought I read somewhere that these machines aren't designed to be hooked upto mains and should be gravity fed. Only reason that I'm asking is because I bought a new one the other week and I don't want to be working it wrong.

Never heard that before to be honest, my Nilfisk is 8 or 9 years old and never had an issue with the it. They really are a great little pressure washer for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Over the last few fill ups in the 325ci I've been returning 30.5mpg (9.26l/100km) which is about the best I've ever had in it. Replacing the cam position sensor which I have to assume was dead a very long time seems to have helped things greatly, both in economy and power. It'll roll over 145,000miles(233,354km) soon! Not too bad!

Anyone here have DMF issues with a 2008 E60 520d?

Someone I know bought one and while idling there's quite a bad vibration throughout the car and causes the exhaust to vibrate violently. When you bring the revs up to 1k, the vibration disappears.

Any and all help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Just watched Shmee's walk around of the new 3. Those rendered images shown earlier make the front look terrible compared to how it looks in video. Looks like a fine car, and as expected jammed with tech. Not overly fussed on these "ambient" lights a lot of manufacturers are sticking in cars. I like ambient lightning where it's subtle and you can't see the light source. These illuminated blue stips on the door and dash aren't my cup of tea at all. Not something I'll have to worry about for a good few years yet though no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Tom Hardly

VAT is something you have to pay regardless, a local guy making €15 on a part surely isn't the end of the world.

People are in the business of making money. :confused:

Tom Hardly wrote: »
    VAT is something you have to pay regardless, a local guy making €15 on a part surely isn't the end of the world.

People are in the business of making money. :confused:

And best of luck to him if someone wants to pay those prices. The great thing about this land of ours is that I don't have to and have other options. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Anyone here have DMF issues with a 2008 E60 520d?

Someone I know bought one and while idling there's quite a bad vibration throughout the car and causes the exhaust to vibrate violently. When you bring the revs up to 1k, the vibration disappears.

Any and all help appreciated.

Bad injector(s)?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement