Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

Yeah, I reckon the saving will be around €2500 per year based on 35k kms.

Including depreciation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Augeo wrote: »
    Including depreciation?

No, but sure who cares about that :). Most stuff that is depreciation free is either far more exotic than i could afford or one foot in the grave.

The Honda was the longest I've ever had a car and I will enjoy the change, it's still not a very modern car but it's the newest car I'll have ever owned.

No, but sure who cares about that :). ...............

Well if you reckon changing your car will save you €2500/annum and you aren't factoring in depreciation it's not really a saving :)

Your "savings" might well cover the depreciation in this case so you are changing car for no additional cost perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I’ve had a mad horn for a Celica the past few weeks, then yesterday I gave a bit of full throttle when passing a lovely one (white, full TRD kit) and the driver responded with a little blip of the noise pedal and god it sounded lovely.

There was a beautiful red 7th gen for sale a few weeks back that I regret not asking about now.
    My own car was involved in a light tip so I’ll have to stay with it until the insurance is settled at least. :rolleyes:
    I love my RX8 but 12mpg is hard to swallow for a daily.

Edit: TFB, did you sell your Glanza? You say the Civic is the car you’ve owned the longest but I thought you had the Glanza parked off somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Funnily enough I was considering a Celica before I turned towards the RX8 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

CianRyan wrote: »
    I’ve had a mad horn for a Celica the past few weeks, then yesterday I gave a bit of full throttle when passing a lovely one (white, full TRD kit) and the driver responded with a little blip of the noise pedal and god it sounded lovely.

There was a beautiful red 7th gen for sale a few weeks back that I regret not asking about now.
    My own car was involved in a light tip so I’ll have to stay with it until the insurance is settled at least. :rolleyes:

Edit: TFB, did you sell your Glanza? You say the Civic is the car you’ve owned the longest but I thought you had the Glanza parked off somewhere?

I had planned a vvtli swap into my own E12 saloon earlier this year, had the donor car sourced, running and all! But circumstances changed very fast and I had to let both go... Before I even got off the ground :(

Maybe I will attempt another one again in the future :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Never liked the 7th Gen Celica. Previous model was a far better looking car. More of a muscular feel to it.

Ha! All the closest Celica fans coming out to play! :D

I'd really love an ST205 or even a beams ST202 too but they all seem to be entirely made of rust or just overpriced/not really for sale...
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    Never liked the 7th Gen Celica. Previous model was a far better looking car. More of a muscular feel to it.

You know what, for years I've felt the same but in the last few months I've genuinly come around to them. There's a lot of rubbish 140bhp models around but the TRD or TTE spec'd cars with the 2ZZge are definitely going to get popular soon, they're getting on the right side of the "old enough to be cool" scene.

Well if you reckon changing your car will save you €2500/annum and you aren't factoring in depreciation it's not really a saving :)

Your "savings" might well cover the depreciation in this case so you are changing car for no additional cost perhaps.

You got me thinking, so I've had a look at it.

When I bought my Honda I borrowed a 7k personal loan at the time over 3 years and have paid it off slightly early. I repaid 7950 including APR and sold the car for 2600, so using the car cost me 5350.

I've done the same with the Golf, loan to purchase using a minimal deposit. The Golf was 8k and I paid 10% deposit, so financing 7200, paying back 8165. In 4 years time, the Golf will be 10 years old, currently a 10 year old Golf seems to be worth around 3500 for a good example. Lets say dieselgate and all the associated things devalue mine a little more, say its worth 1750 at the end of the 3 years. that'll mean the vehicle itself cost me 6415 for the 3 years.

So the Civic has cost me €17440 over 3 years/ 105k kms
    6.5l/100km x 1.49€/l x 105k kms = €10169.00 fuel + 1920 road tax + 5350 depreciation.

And the predicted cost of the Golf will be €15112 over the same period.
    5.0l/100km x 1.39€/l x 105k kms = €7297 fuel + 600 road tax + 6415 depreciation + 800 cash deposit.

So the total cost of ownership including depreciation is still at a worst case €750 p/a less on the Golf than it would be on the Honda, possibly better in reality if it holds its value a bit better. And that's before you factor in things like more frequent NCT testing on the older vehicle and the fact that I paid the Hondas tax quarterly which incurs a financial penalty etc. I understand that the diesel is probably more prone to an expensive unexpected repair that the petrol which could wipe some or all of the potential saving but ideally most of the things that this car is prone to are covered by VW's trust building measure which was a consideration in my purchasing decision.

Still quids in, i think, but only time will tell.

• Advertisement

You know what, for years I've felt the same but in the last few months I've genuinly come around to them. There's a lot of rubbish 140bhp models around but the TRD or TTE spec'd cars with the 2ZZge are definitely going to get popular soon, they're getting on the right side of the "old enough to be cool" scene.

I still have much love for my old one. Definitely enjoyed owning it.

You rarely see any 190 engined ones coming up for sale any more, the very very odd one and that's it.

The 140 is probably just as usable day to day as you really have to drive the flute out of the 190 to utilize the power, you've still only got 140 on tap in the 190 once it's below 6800rpm, which is 98% of the time :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You def overpaid for your civic, I paid less than that in 2012 for mine.

colm_mcm wrote: »

That in itself doesn't mean I overpaid though, you could have got a good deal. It definitely wasn't the cheapest example at the time i'll grant you that though but it was clean with a good spec and a good history so I didnt mind a bit over the odds. In early '16 anything half way decent in one of them was the guts of €6k thought when I was looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

colm_mcm wrote: »

You bought when the recession was starting so people wanted to off load un-necessary items as quick as possible cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Including depreciation?

Rightly or wrongly I have never done the whole depreciation on cars thing basically I buy it and whatever it cost on that day I consider that money gone and no longer count it. I never consider equity in cars as being real money I could use as I don’t plan on ever selling my car to buy a cheaper one.

Basically I have the same outlook on them as anything else I buy. I understand the point of depreciation and why businesses use it but I don’t see why individuals use it for cars. Like for my car I know it has or never will make financial sense to own but I like it and cars are one of the few things I waste money on really any car worth more than a couple of thousand is a luxury you could live without.

I still have much love for my old one. Definitely enjoyed owning it.

You rarely see any 190 engined ones coming up for sale any more, the very very odd one and that's it.

The 140 is probably just as usable day to day as you really have to drive the flute out of the 190 to utilize the power, you've still only got 140 on tap in the 190 once it's below 6800rpm, which is 98% of the time :pac:.

The same can be said about my own car, until the 5th and 6th ports open at about 6500rpm you’re not making much other than noise. I’ve become accustomed to dropping 3 gears when I see a challenge. :pac:

It’s the draw of a light weight FF car that’s got me going right now and the 7th gen just seem like the best bang for buck when you weight up spend, power/ability and being fairly modern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

12mpg?

You should be getting better than that - even on the morning commute in traffic I do get the 14-15. And near double that if I'm on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

A colleague bought a 190 Celica about ten years ago. I had a 350z at the time, and it was mad in comparison. It felt much quicker with the noise. He took me for a spin and I spent the whole time looking at the tach. Great fun, but as mentioned you need to be abusing it to get the best from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Driving through Kill earlier seen a nice looking shape car in the distance as I got to it realised how bloody nice it was, a black 182 Audi RS4 avant MMMMMMMMMM!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have my car 15 years today. Was going to give it a wash, but mother nature took care of that.

Dartz wrote: »
    12mpg?

You should be getting better than that - even on the morning commute in traffic I do get the 14-15. And near double that if I'm on a motorway.

I’ll be honest m, buddy, I can’t keep my foot out of it.
    These days a full tank is seeing me about 200km from fuel light to fuel light, 210 if I go easy.

I’m in short journey stop start stuff for the last 8 weeks though, looking forward to getting back to the short motorway trips so I can see 230km again. :pac:

• Advertisement

Even with the shoe going down it should be doing better than that. I was getting better 'economy' orbiting Mondello.

Check your ignition, and your MAF. My consumption went to **** when the MAF carboned up. Bad spark will also make it substantially worse - since the fuel starts burning in the exhaust and you end up shoeing it a lot more to get it to do anything since so much of the fuel is burned heating the driver's carpet.

It really shouldn't be that bad.

On a long motorway trip, with a full tank, 200km burned to just past the first quarter notch - and that was with a short bit of cross country. I've gotten slightly better, and gotten worser- but it's a regular journey so I know where the needle should be at every stage. I got a fill of contaminated petrol and, even with a sick engine that hated starting on it, it still did 200km to half a tank.

I have hit about 400km on a long motorway drive but I rarely get to drive like that. I may have a poke around and see what the story is next week, all of my tools are in work so I’ve nothibg at home till then.

I am actually getting less than I did at the start so I guess there probably is something not quite right. :rolleyes:
    Do you have a decat, still have a rear 02 sensor?

Yup. Original shell is still in there, but it's empty. O2 sensors are both present. If your cat's clogged you'll also get the economy dropping, be down on power - and be running a lot hotter.

Only other modification is that I've fitted D585 ignition coils and had a remap to match - the CEL for the cat was deleted too. The MAF does carbon up every now and then - but a blast of cleaner sorts it.

500-550k on the motorway - is just about the limit.

Dartz wrote: »
    Yup. Original shell is still in there, but it's empty. O2 sensors are both present. If your cat's clogged you'll also get the economy dropping, be down on power - and be running a lot hotter.

Only other modification is that I've fitted D585 ignition coils and had a remap to match - the CEL for the cat was deleted too. The MAF does carbon up every now and then - but a blast of cleaner sorts it.

500-550k on the motorway - is just about the limit.

Mine's gone, there's clean pipe work from the manifold back to the high flow back boxes. Got new coils, leads and plugs less than a year ago and I haven't had the remap yet. I've just been knocking the light off as it come, fuel economy drops about 25% with the light on.

A can of contact cleaner it is then, I'll have a poke around at voltages and make sure everything else is working and connected properly while I'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Which one of you is the mechanic again? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Need tyres soon (1500 from service and I'll get them then) and I've been putting Primacy 3's on cars for years but I'd say they are probably old hat now as far as tyre technology goes. Best sites for recommendations for more modern stuff? I recall seeing a video someone posted here before but I can't find it at all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Patww79 wrote: »
    Need tyres soon (1500 from service and I'll get them then) and I've been putting Primacy 3's on cars for years but I'd say they are probably old hat now as far as tyre technology goes. Best sites for recommendations for more modern stuff? I recall seeing a video someone posted here before but I can't find it at all now.

I bought 2 tyres this week on oponeo and you can filter them by rating.

I bought 2 tyres this week on oponeo and you can filter them by rating.

Fairly up to date and all for regular reviews?#

Edit: You don't seem to be able to filter or rank by the wet and economy letter grades on that unfortunately so it's a bit of a trawl.

_

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Which one of you is the mechanic again? :D

The less time I spend working after work the better. There’s a good reason my Micra was a ball of ****e. :D

Here, I’m new to rotary engines so I’m happy to get all the advice I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Fairly up to date and all for regular reviews?#

Edit: You don't seem to be able to filter or rank by the wet and economy letter grades on that unfortunately so it's a bit of a trawl.

_

oponeo, tyreleader, eiretyres, tyres-pneus-online, camskill.

At least one of them has an option to sort by noise/wet grip/fuel efficiency. One even can exclude low rated ones.

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    oponeo, tyreleader, eiretyres, tyres-pneus-online, camskill.

At least one of them has an option to sort by noise/wet grip/fuel efficiency. One even can exclude low rated ones.

Cheers. I went through the mid and premium on Oponeo and manually took out the A/B ones (into a spreadsheet ftw). Narrowed to four and I'll see what, if any, of them they can get for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Might be able to get the new Primacy 4 in the size needed? No run flats as yet though afaik if that's an issue.

Might be able to get the new Primacy 4 in the size needed? No run flats as yet though afaik if that's an issue.

Yeah they're one of my four. Probably would go with them if he has them.

The others were a Vredestein (always good experience of the brand), a Bridgestone, and a Fulda (never heard of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, when you know it's just not your day!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1061675664858845184

I was just looking at a Lexus on another thread and it's as though they copied what Audi did with their grilles. They removed the separation bumper part and made it all one if you disregard the piece that's there for the front plate.

Old Lexus:

maxresdefault.jpg

New Lexus:

17-04-10-lexus-ls-f-sport.jpg

Old Audi:

2003_audi_a4_sedan_30-quattro_fq_oem_1_400.jpg

New Audi:

972121634.jpg

The front of that Lexus reminds of this:

The-Predator-movie-trailer-and-information-935096.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Personally I think it looks awful. Especially the lexus

That New BMW reminds me of a chipmunk!

People like to won cars that demand the peons in front get out of the way.

That's the hole point. Like a threat display from a ****ing lizard.

• Advertisement

First fill of the black stuff today. Started clicking at €68 and I squeezed €70 in and it was already a quarter full so it must have a decent size tank. The most I've ever gotten into the Honda was €63 I think.

20181112-142530.jpg

So far, nothing has broken :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was in London all weekend some serious cars over there. But noticed most of the A4 b9 have the LED rear tail lights with dynamic indicators would really like to fit them on mine. Not sure it’s possible but even if it is by the time you buy the 4 tail light units, whatever wiring adapters and coding needed I reckon you would be looking at closer to 2k than 1k. So it would be very difficult to justify it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

First fill of the black stuff today. Started clicking at €68 and I squeezed €70 in and it was already a quarter full so it must have a decent size tank. The most I've ever gotten into the Honda was €63 I think.

I usually get around 73 to 75 beans in from near empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CIP4 wrote: »
    Was in London all weekend some serious cars over there. But noticed most of the A4 b9 have the LED rear tail lights with dynamic indicators would really like to fit them on mine. Not sure it’s possible but even if it is by the time you buy the 4 tail light units, whatever wiring adapters and coding needed I reckon you would be looking at closer to 2k than 1k. So it would be very difficult to justify it really.
    Cheaper to trade up? :D

Not your ornery onager

Got a price today for a service on the 530d - oil, oil filter, air filter and micro filter €340 including 20% BMW First member discount. I rang my local BMW indy and the same job will be costing €279. For the extra €60 or so keeping the main dealer service for any future goodwill is a no brainer.

I also asked about the recent EGR cooler recall and they confirmed my car is not affected. Happy days.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Got a price today for a service on the 530d - oil, oil filter, air filter and micro filter €340 including 20% BMW First member discount. I rang my local BMW indy and the same job will be costing €279. For the extra €60 or so keeping the main dealer service for any future goodwill is a no brainer.

I also asked about the recent EGR cooler recall and they confirmed my car is not affected. Happy days.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that as long as BMW parts are used for a service, your goodwill isn't affected. Or is that warranty that's not affected?

• Advertisement

That's manufacturer's warranty I'd imagine which is expired on my car now anyway. Goodwill is normally down to service history and having a main dealer history just reinforces your case with the manufacturer. For the sake of €60 its not worth it, main dealer is at the right side of town to me too and they will give me a courtesy car while they have mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I read somewhere (maybe here) that as long as BMW parts are used for a service, your goodwill isn't affected. Or is that warranty that's not affected?

Warranty must stand on genuine parts same goes with VAG, i don't think goodwill would stand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I would say the conformity of having fully main dealer stamped book would still stand to you if you were looking for goodwill.

Of course it looks good to have as many main dealer stamps as possible come sale time too (for most people anyway)

My 03 Audi had its very first service out side of an Audi dealer just this year, hates to break the trend but they wanted nearly €400 there last month

The BMW First 20% discount makes the difference here, it puts the main dealer servicing within reach of indy prices, at least it does for servicing round my way anyway.

The goodwill aspect is why I've kept mine serviced with main dealers also. Case in point that EGR recall but thankfully nothing was found to be wrong on mine either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement