Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did they give an indication as to what was causing the symptoms you had MM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cost of service from lexus seems to have gone up a lot.
    Last year when I got a major service I asked what price the minor now would be.
    At the time she told me €155 but now it's €240.
    I wouldn't even dream of it only for the free hybrid check and the guarantee that comes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The goodwill aspect is why I've kept mine serviced with main dealers also. Case in point that EGR recall but thankfully nothing was found to be wrong on mine either.

I thought the recall was to replace the EGR on all models affected? That sounds like its just a check, that's madness if so.

I seen on t'internet another one went up this morning on the M3 (excuse the pun).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wailin wrote: »
    Did they give an indication as to what was causing the symptoms you had MM?

Nope, nothing said at all. The cooler was checked, didn't have a crack and sin é.
    I thought the recall was to replace the EGR on all models affected? That sounds like its just a check, that's madness if so.

I seen on t'internet another one went up this morning on the M3 (excuse the pun).

So did I but first they visually check it and run a pressure test on it and if it's ok they leave it.

Would love to know what happens if down the line the engine starts smoking after them giving it the all clear.

I had a 1.6, 5 speed manual Octavia estate for the last week. Knocked 55mpg out if it....gearing is quite tall.

In comparison to the vrs dsg diesel I had in June I think it wasn't bad as the basic offering. Certainly considering the price gap between them.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Got a price today for a service on the 530d - oil, oil filter, air filter and micro filter €340 including 20% BMW First member discount. I rang my local BMW indy and the same job will be costing €279. For the extra €60 or so keeping the main dealer service for any future goodwill is a no brainer.

I also asked about the recent EGR cooler recall and they confirmed my car is not affected. Happy days.

Did you ever trace what the suspected tie rod knock was ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Augeo wrote: »
    Did you ever trace what the suspected tie rod knock was ?

Wasn't really a knocking but more a slight shudder. I had both front wheels rebalanced and it's barely noticeable now if at all. I've the car going in for a service next week so will ask them to take a look at the suspension while it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, off topic, but how do you switch boards.ie back to full or barebone mobile view on phone? I accidentally swotch tp that horrible responsive or whats it called and its horrible! Cant see where theu hid switch button!

Edit: Nvm, found it. Got scared for a second lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I’m a bit obsessed with the new Arteon at the moment I think they look class anytime I see one they seem to really stand out. Only thing is petrol vs the 2.0tsi is only 190bhp you can get l the A5 in 252bhp but they are a bit more expensive. This is an example of one not the best colour.

I should state I still like the A4 I don’t actually plan on changing it or anything :pac:

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/arteon/201807128390495

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can see where this is going.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can see where this is going.

That I keep my car and just become one of them people that talks about changing cars but doesn’t actually ?

CIP4 wrote: »
    That I keep my car and just become one of them people that talks about changing cars but doesn’t actually ?

Exactly!

Don’t blame you for lusting after the Areton tbh.

What colour are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Will it be a 191 plate

Will it be a 191 plate

Just looking you can’t order a 2.0tsi online wonder did they get caught up in the new emissions regulations issues where some of the VAG petrols were struggling to meet them effected the Leon Cupra and some Audi’s.

Ah no I think I will give it a break for the next year would be nice to get a whole year Jan to Dec with the same car I would class that as a big achievement :pac:

Just looking there and I see the Paddy spec is back - Arteon with 1.5 litre engine, fabric seats, manual gearbox and non digital dashboard:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2070797&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D2623%26f%3D1%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Just looking there and I see the Paddy spec is back - Arteon with 1.5 litre engine, fabric seats, manual gearbox and non digital dashboard:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2070797&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D2623%26f%3D1%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

It looks terrible inside in that spec like a basic golf. You would be as well just to buy a normal Passat rather than a poverty spec Arteon as it just looks wrong stripped out like that.

I'd say we are going to see a lot more of these more basic specs from manufactures now that WLTP is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

CIP4 wrote: »
    I’m a bit obsessed with the new Arteon at the moment I think they look class anytime I see one they seem to really stand out. Only thing is petrol vs the 2.0tsi is only 190bhp you can get l the A5 in 252bhp but they are a bit more expensive. This is an example of one not the best colour.

I should state I still like the A4 I don’t actually plan on changing it or anything :pac:

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/arteon/201807128390495

Can you even get the 250ish HP petrol in Ireland?

I was looking for an A4 Quattro Avant with that engine in the UK and it wasn't much more on the UK price for a S4.

Can you even get the 250ish HP petrol in Ireland?

I was looking for an A4 Quattro Avant with that engine in the UK and it wasn't much more on the UK price for a S4.

You can but only in the new model A5 not A4,A6 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Still manages to look very good though.

Indeed, the Arteon is a good looking car and at least they didn't put 16" steelies on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In other obviously unmissable news :D Got my NCT today. Yay! To be fair 90's Japanese car, so...

Funny enough, a recent thread hereabouts kinda came up today. Namely the thread about doing the NCT with an LSD(limited slip differential) and how the OP's tester took his car out on the road to check the brakes.

For the very first time in 12 years of the car doing the NCT, the tester chap - and a very sound lad he was, gave me a heads up on a bushing that was looking tired - came up and said "this has an LSD? Do you want me to do the road test?". So I figured yeah(and fair play for knowing enough to know), fire away, though told him it had gone through 11 tests on the rollers. Maybe they've had issues with a few blown LSD's?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Never knew that they would do a road test instead of rollers. Maybe he was testing the LSD works for ye :)

Buying some bits for the 3 series and see decent discounts on their UK website for anyone interested. Discount gets applied when you proceed to basket.

https://shop.bmw.co.uk

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Never knew that they would do a road test instead of rollers. Maybe he was testing the LSD works for ye :)

Buying some bits for the 3 series and see decent discounts on their UK website for anyone interested. Discount gets applied when you proceed to basket.

https://shop.bmw.co.uk

I am fairly sure the road test is just outside the test centre they have some device they put the car to measure the stopping ability. They don’t take it on a 20 minute drive around or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Are the drivers & passengers seats different? under thigh support (can't remember the name) :rolleyes: looks a different shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Forgive my ignorance, but how do they test the LSD? What do ye mean about testing on the road vs rollers? That sounds like testing braking to me, but I could be (and possibly am) completely wrong about it!

Forgive my ignorance, but how do they test the LSD? What do ye mean about testing on the road vs rollers? That sounds like testing braking to me, but I could be (and possibly am) completely wrong about it!

It's testing the braking. They will do this with 4x4 also.

Still manages to look very good though.

Grand bus for the price IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Do the radar detecting devices sold on Amazon US work, in theory, on Irish roads?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Do the radar detecting devices sold on Amazon US work, in theory, on Irish roads?

The vans can detect these so don't bother.

• Advertisement

With 4x4 the NCT centres aren't equipped really as you have either the front or rear wheels on the rollers and the other pair stationary. not great when there's drive to all 4 wheels all the time.

I don't see any reason why a two wheel drive LSD equipped yoke would object to the NCT test tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The vans can detect these so don't bother.

True, i hear if they detect you have one they emit an electro magnetic pulse that disables your car until the Gardai arrive so not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They tested my Impreza WRX on the rollers so they must be able to do 4x4's. Never actually thought about it till it was mentioned here.

If I had known when I had the car and brought it for a test I would have watched them to see how it was done.

They tested my Impreza WRX on the rollers so they must be able to do 4x4's............

So basically your WRX's transmission just held up to the abuse :)
    Torn brake lines woul;dn't be uncommon either so you were doubly lucky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

If I have a near 30 year old LSD rwd car should I be worried doing an NCT :confused: Never got or knew of a road test option.

Not sure why the brake test would be bad for the lsd. I thought they spun both wheels when doing the test and both wheels were tested at the same time. If their test spins one wheel that could cause the issue though as your diff will try and transfer the the torque across to the stationary wheel and could potentially cause wear on the diff depending on the type of LSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think it's more if the brakes are badly imbalanced it'll slow one wheel much quicker than the other.

Interslice wrote: »
    If I have a near 30 year old LSD rwd car should I be worried doing an NCT :confused: Never got or knew of a road test option.

There's no option for a 2wd.....test lane only.

I think it's more if the brakes are badly imbalanced it'll slow one wheel much quicker than the other.

Mmmmm ....but there won't be torque being sent to them so that should be OK, I'd imagine.

Augeo wrote: »
    There's no option for a 2wd.....test lane only.

Thought there was. Pretty sure my friends RWD Lexus was tested on the road. Same with an FTO Verson R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I've done some research on this since this came up on the "NCT tester driving off premises thread", and I think this is the reason. It's just a precaution in case there's a serious imbalance.

If one brake is not working then the LSD will transfer torque from the unbraked wheel to the braked wheel and the rollers will wind up the diff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thought there was. Pretty sure my friends RWD Lexus was tested on the road. Same with an FTO Verson R.

My lexus wasn't tested rollers or road.

Apologies, you are correct.

466689.png

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Ah, the days of the FTO ireland forum. Miss that car. Don't see any around these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I thought of the NCT tester driving off premises thread when I did the NCT this week. My car has done 12 NCT's since I got it from Japan and they always did the roller brake test. This time the tester lad said he'd do the road test instead as it has an LSD. I told him it had gone through the lane as normal before, but his suggestion was it wasn't a good plan, so I went with that.

Sound bloke actually and fair play for him knowing my car had one. My thinking was maybe previous testers didn't, but then remembered that most of them knew the model well and a few had actually owned one.

Maybe a couple of cars have gone through in the last year or so and their diffs blew up and there were complaints, so now the testers are more cautious about it? I suppose in the future, if highway robbery insurance doesn't put it off the road, I'd better make a point of telling them it has a limo(unless that's now logged with the reg number?). That's another aspect that must be a pain for the testers; how do they know a car has one what with all the car models on the road?

Oh and it passed. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Let the done deal fun begin....

I've a car for sale with an ad that gives all the info you could need.

Just got a call....

Donedealer: you have car for sale?
    Me: yes that's me
    Donedealer: where are you?
    Me: names town and county that is in the ad
    Donedealer: how much?
    Me: names price that is in ad
    Donedealer: is it diesel?
    Me: no it's petrol( like it says in the ad)
    Donedealer:ah is it a 2l
    Me: no it's a 2.2 (just like the ad)
    Donedealer: ah ok I'll call you back
    Me......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Let the done deal fun begin....

I've a car for sale with an ad that gives all the info you could need.

Just got a call....

Donedealer: you have car for sale?
    Me: yes that's me
    Donedealer: where are you?
    Me: names town and county that is in the ad
    Donedealer: how much?
    Me: names price that is in ad
    Donedealer: is it diesel?
    Me: no it's petrol( like it says in the ad)
    Donedealer:ah is it a 2l
    Me: no it's a 2.2 (just like the ad)
    Donedealer: ah ok I'll call you back
    Me......

Same as that, over the phone. I'll offer you 3/4 of what your asking.

Eh no thanks.

Your car is ****e anyway, not worth it.

Ok so. Goodluck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Same as that, over the phone. I'll offer you 3/4 of what your asking.

Eh no thanks.

Your car is ****e anyway, not worth it.

Ok so. Goodluck.

You just have the right the write kind of add....

Original Unrestored car. Future collector's item.
    1.3 Litre, 230bhp. 1.7 on the logbook
    6 speeds: Slow, Not Slow, Quick, Fast, **** me
    1 Careful owner. 4 Owners total.
    Ran when parked this morning outside office.
    164,000km on chassis.

Service history. Original dealer inspection stamp on logbook. (Irish Car)
    Uprated ignition coils fitted Aug 2014. D585 kit from rotary revs.
    Engine remap. Increased spark dwell time and increased oil injection rates.
    Standard exhaust with decat. Factory afterburners functional at high revs.
    New Coilovers fitted Feb '17 (Tein Flex Z).
    New brake disks and pads fitted Jun '17.
    Coolant done, Jun '17
    Sparkplugs, Jun '17
    Engine - once. Sparkplug failure.

Scuff marks on lower front lip, scratch under left mirror, and old repair on left-rear wheel arch.

Flew through NCT, OCt '18. Good for one year. wings not included in price.

Only occasionally tracked.
    Surprisingly effective off-road, in snow barefoot uphill both directions in the snow and with 3 lads and tools in the boot.

I know what I have, hence bargain price.

Buy this car if:
    You love the smell of napalm in the morning (A.K.A. That Gasoline smell)
    You want something as reliable and dependable as an Alfa Romeo, but more exciting to drive.

Don't buy this car if:
    You like Polar Bears, Penguins and snow.
    You place any value fuel economy.
    You're frightened by the idea of being flashed by white trannies parked at the side of the road.

Little retrofit project underway this evening.

IMG-20181123-184937-1.jpg

LCI rear lights so the wiring is slightly different. Must dig out a how to from a forum. Old lights were letting in water, there's about a litre of water in the left one FFS. BM didn't want to know about good will etc even though full history with them. I drove into Derry to get them today, some nice machines about. Spotted the police in a Golf R as well as an ST focus, both of which you wouldn't raise an eyebrow to. Only giveaway they are cop cars are the uniformed people inside.

• Advertisement

Little retrofit project underway this evening

LCI rear lights so the wiring is slightly different. Must dig out a how to from a forum. Old lights were letting in water, there's about a litre of water in the left one FFS. BM didn't want to know about good will etc even though full history with them. I drove into Derry to get them today, some nice machines about. Spotted the police in a Golf R as well as an ST focus, both of which you wouldn't raise an eyebrow to. Only giveaway they are cop cars are the uniformed people inside.

Was it just a scrap yard you got them out of of a place that actually sells lights ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement