Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Augeo wrote: »
    ....." Will be having a few words with them tomorrow as that car is not fit for the road in that state"

Right. I wouldn't agree really :)

The car is most definitely fit for the road....as you well know.

Enjoy your few words with them.

I most certainly will, thanks for your concern.

The last time I brought a car to Aherns for a service I was given an X1 demo as the courtesy car. Just saying....

80 mile round trip to get a car serviced isn't really a practical option for me. Doesn't need to be a fancy car, one with working lights would be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

A car without washers in the summer is no biggie, but in that weather with all the muck on the road you wouldn't get very far without having to pull over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    80 mile round trip to get a car serviced isn't really a practical option for me. Doesn't need to be a fancy car, one with working lights would be fine. :)

You can say it, I know I am a broken record!

You can say it, I know I am a broken record!

Na, your fine. If I had other business down that way it would be ideal but its out of my way and would involve taking a day off work.

Anyway if you see me around driving like this tomorrow, you'll know it's the windscreen washers aren't working:

wp0_wp57ce6b65.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

bazz26 wrote: »

In fairness, warning light on the dash, for a tail light - no big deal. Not bothering your bollox to see if the car is fit to be driven on the road is a whole different affair.
    It isn't my problem how busy other people are, just like they don't care how busy I am.
    It stinks of a garage man just checking the windscreen and then offloading to a customer without even starting the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Folks has anyone here any idea of what fuse type would be in an Auros Hybrid 2016? I'm about to hit the button on an "add a fuse" thingy for a dashcam, but the seller lists a few different sizes - Link (second picture in the listing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Inviere wrote: »
    Folks has anyone here any idea of what fuse type would be in an Auros Hybrid 2016? I'm about to hit the button on an "add a fuse" thingy for a dashcam, but the seller lists a few different sizes - Link (second picture in the listing)

More than likely your car will use micro fuses however the item you link to just seems like a fusable link so I'd presume it should ship with the correct size fuse and it's up to you to tell them the correct rating (amperes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

CianRyan wrote: »
    More than likely your car will use micro fuses however the item you link to just seems like a fusable link so I'd presume it should ship with the correct size fuse and it's up to you to tell them the correct rating (amperes).

Cheers, it's not so much the amperage I'm concerned about it's the actual size of the thing itself. I need to order the correct one so that it physically fits into a donor fuse slot on the car (not my car)...so was wondering if anyone knew offhand the Auris hybrid fuse type. I'm guessing micro fuses myself, but just said I'd ask...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Toyota-Lexus-Mini-Fuse-5-Amp-90982-09019-p/a21602.htm says online catalogue. The best option would be pulling one and check, to make sure. :)

I bought a 3 series in the summer and after a little while the car developed a slight vibration under braking. BMW suggested replacing the front disks as the likely cause. I did that and all was good, but gradually the issue resurfaced. When I bought the car the wheels had obviously been refurbished as they were pristine and the car is 4 years old. Wanted to get to the root cause of this as didnt want to buy new discs again and repeat the same process I came across this, quite recent article.

https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/refurbished-alloy-wheels-negative-effect-braking-system/

True enough when I checked my wheels, they had covered/masked the mating surface but not entirely so there is some paint there that looks like it could be the issue here. Have two discs in now for resurfacing as well as getting the inside of the wheels done. Hopefully this will sort it as the vibration has really ruined the driving experience for what has otherwise been a great car. Its very slight but when you know it's there you can't not notice it. Fingers crossed

Edit*
    Looks like brakes are sorted after short test drive. Happy ****ing days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Has anyone any experience with MG Motors in Sligo. I see they are doing custom dynod remaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Anyone know this car ? Maybe a fellow board member ? Looking at buying it.

963apYuh.jpg

For those with a newish BM, the online portal seems to be offering a lot of one month trial stuff. Might be of interest to some of you,esp car play if you have idrive5 or above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

How often should coolant be flushed?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Unusual one.

So the other evening I sold a cheap car. The car wasn't in my name. I bought it off a fella. And the car was still in the name of the person he bought it off.

So the fella came and test drove it and we agreed on a fee and he paid me. He asked my had I the log book and I said yes and went inside to get it. When I came back he was gone. And I tried contacting him and couldn't get a response.

So the following day I went to the gaurds and told them what happened and they took the details and your mans contact number and said they'd make a note of it in their system in case it ends up being involved in robberies ect. And just told me to keep the log book.

So I told the fella that I bought it off what happened. He in turn told the fella he bought it off whose name the car is still in. He freaked out and says he wants it out of his name. I don't want to put it in my name and either does the other fella.

Anyone know how to actually get it out of the fella name as the cars is actually sold, I just don't know to who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Funny, I've been there - the car is most likely going to be used for a robbery or something.

The registered owner needs to contact the Department of Transport in Shannon and explain the situation and they'll oblige his requests. Did you get a PULSE number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

How often should coolant be flushed?!

I think most manufacturers recommend changing it every 2 years but doubt there are too many cars out there getting new coolant every two years same goes for brake fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Simple, get a commissioner of oaths to witness and sign a letter from the registered owner declaring the car to be sold and no longer there's. Include dates etc and send it to Shannon.

And do things properly in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

nd you go to your local peace commissioner with a form(can't remember the form) explain the situation and they sign and stamp it, you send it off to shannon and it is out of your name then.

Was driving the parents Leon the other night and when getting diesel noticed all four rear light units have heavy amounts of water drips and condensation inside in other words they are letting water it seems to be a common issue on that era Leon and to make it worse some of them have already been replaced under warranty scandalous really on a 152 car you wouldn't expect to be having them kind of issues.

The Leon is very hard to beat in terms of value for money but stupid things like that really let it down along with the seats which must be the hardest seats ever fitted to any car.

Anyone know of any good parts sites that sells OE/OEM Audi parts doesn't need to be Irish one thinking there is surely a UK or German site with a good selection of parts but can't find much ?

What kind of parts?
    Service kits? Shocks ? Discs & pads ?

What kind of parts?
    Service kits? Shocks ? Discs & pads ?

Tail lights I am thinking of buying a set of the LED rear ones with the dynamic indicators just wanted to get a rough Idea on price. Need to double check they would actually work but I think once you get the wiring adapter they will.

I had some water in my rear lights recently. Good old German engineering. Both sides too. Link shows my left rear...
    https://gfycat.com/recenteuphorichatchetfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Whats with the amount of cars going around with steamed up windows, they look like a scene from Titanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Whats with the amount of cars going around with steamed up windows, they look like a scene from Titanic.

Turning the aircon on uses fuel you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Dartz wrote: »
    Turning the aircon on uses fuel you know.

Ha - I doubt most people even know how to turn it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Passed the NCT first time there on Friday.. just passed 350k km as well and still running great. Few bits to get done all the same but that can wait till the new year :)

• Advertisement

That's not at all insignificant mileage on a car full of tech' & power :cool:

That's not at all insignificant mileage on a car full of tech' & power :cool:

Yep, I have to say, she's holding up very well despite the mileage and long daily runs. There are a few bits to sort though..

- Fuel gauge needle gets stuck on 0 when under a quarter of a tank. Comes back on its own and doesn't happen above that level but annoying

- For whatever reason every few weeks she gets a bit smokey. DPF we think but that's odd on a car that spends most of its time on a motorway.. but then seeing as she doesn't even tip 2k RPM at 120 that's why?

- Still need to get the front bumper sorted from when someone backed into it last year. Annoyance rather than anything.

Despite that though there's no electrical gremlins, no gearbox issues, nothing major really... but then George and the guys look after anything needed and she gets serviced in/around the intervals due (which with my mileage is every 2-3 months).

I figured buying the last of that model run over the first of the C7 generation was probably a better idea and so far it looks like I was right. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    Passed the NCT first time there on Friday.. just passed 350k km as well and still running great. Few bits to get done all the same but that can wait till the new year

Had mine on Friday night too, passed first go, not even an advisory, mighty car! Last of the 2 year certs though.

Had mine on Friday night too, passed first go, not even an advisory, mighty car! Last of the 2 year certs though.

Mine hits 10 in 2020. By that stage she'll be practically worthless anyway but hopefully will still keep eating the miles till then.

Long, hot, runs are good for any car.

The family diesel was running notably better after 800km of repeated norths-outh runs at speed. It'd been running ****ey since it normally does the half a k to the shops and back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

McGrath5 wrote: »

Have you been driving that dodgy road towards the back of the airport again??

Driving past a particularly foolish pair of accidents on the N3 on the way home, I couldn't help meself. I just had to shout 'You ****ing morons' when I realised one accident had been caused by someone looking at the other and giving a taxi driver about 30k's worth of whiplash....

...I forgot I'd opened the windows.

And the ****ing morons heard me.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Driving past a particularly foolish pair of accidents on the N3 on the way home, I couldn't help meself. I just had to shout 'You ****ing morons' when I realised one accident had been caused by someone looking at the other and giving a taxi driver about 30k's worth of whiplash....

I honestly wouldn't feel one bit bad about it, well maybe for the person who got rear ended but not the one who wasn't paying attention.

You can't fix stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Good story lad...yawn.

• Advertisement

Mobile phone use must be a contributor to a huge amount of rush hour commuter accidents. The amount of folk with the head directed at a smartphone on the N7 is the morning is quite grim really.

Even lads in HGVs and buses are at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I discovered yesterday evening that removing the standard radio from a Mazda 6 is, not fun.
    3 screws and a bolt (why?) buried in behind most of the centre of the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I discovered yesterday evening that removing the standard radio from a Mazda 6 is, not fun.
    3 screws and a bolt (why?) buried in behind most of the centre of the dash.

If you want more fun, remove the side vents from a 1999 Lexus GS300 ;)

If you want more fun, remove the side vents from a 1999 Lexus GS300 ;)

I haven't met a piece of trim yet that has defeated my trusty hammer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ELM327 wrote: »
    I haven't met a piece of trim yet that has defeated my trusty hammer!
    You mean your precision persuasion tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You mean your precision persuasion tool

"Don't force it, get a bigger hammer"

:D

• Advertisement

If it can't be fixed by hammering or getting hammered, is it a problem at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

If in doubt, sledge it out

Interslice wrote: »
    If in doubt, sledge it out
    If in doubt, whip it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I have to say lads, I went near 3 years in the Honda without spending anything on "accessories". Driving a Golf really brings out the worst in a man, I'm browsing German plates, plate surrounds, canbus friendly LED's and all other sorts of nasty tat on a daily basis and it's difficult to resist, you can see how it's easy to slip into the trap of pimping an otherwise dull car.

I've bought genuine fitted rubber floor mats for that authentic culchie feeling. Replaced a cracked wing mirror repeater and a new set of wipers. That'll do for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'm the same, in fact at the minute I'm on the look out for a 97/98 Irish e11 Corolla brochure :o

On a similar note though, where will I get plain pressed metal plates in Dublin?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement